From: Ronald Greeley
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2001 5:00 PM
Subject: Europa Focus Group

Dear Colleague,

This is the last communication for the Europa Focus Group Workshop, to be
held from NOON on Friday, September 7 through noon Sunday September 9 at the
U. S. Geological Survey (Building 3 conference room), 2255 North Gemini
Drive, Flagstaff, Arizona. The registration will be $5.

Each participant who submitted an abstract will have the opportunity to give
an 8 minute presentation. The idea is to give everyone a BRIEF chance to
speak, but times will be strict! The order of presentation will be
alphabetical by first author of the abstracts (regardless of who gives the
presentation).

Most of the workshop will be spent in working sessions by a "Red Team" and a
"Blue Team." Both teams will independently formulate an ideal landed
astrobiology mission to EUROPA. The formulation must include:

1. Specific scientific objectives and the proposed means to meet those
objectives based on current knowledge of Europa, ice, terrestrial biology,
etc.

2. Identification of specific areas on Europa where such a landing might
occur and the justification for the selected sites

3. Definition of specific supporting studies and research which might be
conducted in preparation for the mission (terrestrial analog work,
laboratory studies, etc.)

4. Identification of specific instruments and/or technologies which need to
be developed for a successfully implemented astrobiology lander for Europa

5. Specification of precursor information which is needed for a sucessful
landing, or which would enhance the landed mission on Europa.

Red Team and Blue Team membership is shown below. These have been organized
to give a balance among the relevant disciplines needed for the assignment.
Although some slight adjustments might be made to account for actual
participation, these team lists are fairly firm. Participants not listed for
whatever reason (my apologies!) should check with us at the meeting.

RED TEAM

Barr
Farmer
Fernandez-Remolar
Glansdorff
Granahan
Lane
Makris
Manvi
Moore
Navarro-Gonzalez
Pappalardo
Prieto
Schulson
Schulze-Makuch
Williams

BLUE TEAM

Carlson
Carsey
Davis
Eicken
Flynn
Gast
House
Kargel
Kempe
Klemaszewski
Marion
Neuer
Prockter

On Sunday morning, each team will present their results and recommendations
for discussion and synthesis within the whole group.

Have a good trip to Flagstaff!

Ron
Dr. Ronald Greeley
Department of Geological Sciences