----- Original Message -----
From: "Gary McMurtry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2001 10:56 AM
Subject: Re: How to combine the Europa Orbiter and Lander

> Bruce,
>
> Pardon my ignorance.  Beyond shock resistance, these penetrator
> probes seem to obey KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) which is always a
> good thing, at least in oceanography.  Can you please inform us about
> the Earth analogs that have been working?  Also, any information on
> the Japanese Lunar-A and Russian Mars penetrator probes would be most
> welcomed.

Data on penetrators on the Web isn't as frequent as one might wish, but
Andrew J. Ball has a great website that serves as a central source on the
subject: http://ifp.uni-muenster.de/~balla/penetrometry , with pointers to
many other articles.

The document I read years ago on the ground tests in New Mexico is "Surface
Penetrators for Planetary Exploration" (J.P. Murphy et al, Ames Research
Center, 1981).  It's NASA Technical Memorandum 81251, published by the
National Technical Information Service as N81-21000.

The Nov/Dec. 1998 issue of "Planetary and Space Sciences" (Vol. 46, No.
11-12) had a detailed article on the Russian Mars 96 penetrators -- although
you can't access that magazine on the Web anymore without a subscription.
Fairly good introductory descriptions can be found at
www.msss.com/mars/mars9x/penetrators.html and
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/tmp/MARS96D.html .

The "Volume 35 Supplement" issue of Acta Astronautica on "Low-Cost Planetary
Exploration" has a detailed article on the Japanese Lunar-A penetrators --
but there's also a very good description on the Lunar-A official website at
www.isas.ac.jp/e/enterp/missions/lunar-a/mission.html , a good one at
http://solarsystem.estec.esa.nl/~dheather/download/abstracts/Mizutani_et_al.
pdf , and a surprisingly detailed article ("Japanese Moon Missions Move
Toward Launch") in the Dec. 7, 1998 Aviation Week.

Now I gotta go check to see if I got all those damn USLs right.