                From:   Bruce Moomaw [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
                Sent:   Wednesday 21 November 2001 04:59
                To:     Europa Icepick
                Subject:        Re: Moomaw's take on Europa and Pluto

                ----- Original Message -----
                From: "Gary McMurtry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2001 1:59 AM

                > Bruce, et al.,
                >
                > Please, somebody, please, explain to this ignorant old
geochemist why
                > we should give a hoot about Pluto's atmosphere versus
getting a
                > probe, even that JPL Cadillac Orbiter to Europa?  Once I
attended a
                > seminar at JPL where I was absolutely dumb-founded that
more was
                > being made of studying the physics of Saturn's ring
interactions
                > (scheduled) than sending probes to Europa (not scheduled).
As I
                > stated to the attendees that day, What single scientific
question
                > remains that is more important than the origin of life and
its
                > corollary that life may exist/has existed on other worlds
in our
                > Solar System?  Planetary studies are great stuff, and the
list of
                > things left to study are practically endless.  But,
everything can't
                > be funded and we have to make priorities.  More
importantly, we have
                > hang together on what we collectively see as those
priorities, or we
                > will see it all slip away.  I think the tragic 9/11 events
and recent
                > OMB rumors hint as to the outcomes for our divided house.
Maybe we
                > should have an intellectual "slug fest" somewhere, with
judges
                > calling the points like a wrestling match, and have them
declare a
                > winner that takes the outcomes to the government/funders.
I know it
                > sounds silly, but just how do the decisions ultimately get
made these
                > days?

                Well -- while I enthusiastically agree with your overall
line of reasoning
                about the central importance of astrobiology (as Robert
Clements will
                indignantly testify)-- the thing is that:

                (1)  Pluto's atmosphere is virtually unique among Solar
System studies in
                that it's a limited-time offer -- if we miss it, we won't
get another look
                at the damn thing for 250 years, whereas a delay of a few
years in launching
                a Europa mission is just that: a delay of a few years.  (The
only remotely
                comparable example is the fact that we have to wait 42 years
between the
                times that Uranus is side-on to the Sun.)

                (2)  Pluto has a very unusual atmosphere.  It seems to be
unique among Solar
                System phenomena in that it's currently being dramatically
swept away
                hydrodynamically by the solar wind, a process which was
extremely important
                among all the inner planets during the first few hundred
million years after
                the Sun switched on, and which has direct astrobiological
relevance,
                especially to Mars.  There is still a knockdown fight among
scientists as to
                how important this process (as opposed to others, like
erosion by early
                giant impacts or conversion into carbonates) has been over
the eons in
                destroying early Mars' thick atmosphere, which in turn would
affect the
                extent to which Mars has been habitable over its long
history.  While such
                solar-wind stripping still seems to be going on very slowly
on Mars,
                studying the phenomenon at Pluto could tell us a lot about
the
                still-uncertain details of how it operated at other times in
Martian
                history.

                (3)  If it DOES freeze out, the resultant thin frost layer
will make it much
                harder to observe and composition-map Pluto's surface
features, which are
                also very strange.  The place has greater total variation in
albedo over its
                surface area than any other world in the Solar System
(including Earth)
                except Iapetus, and we have no idea why -- except that it
seems to be
                connected with the formation of dark organics in some spots,
but not others,
                on Pluto's surface.  And of course the current enshrouding
of more and more
                of Pluto's surface in permanent darkness as one of its poles
tips away from
                the Sun will also harm that study.

                ==
                You are subscribed to the Europa Icepick mailing list:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                Project information and list (un)subscribe info:
http://klx.com/europa/