"Pardon my ignorance, but why hasn't there ever been a true alternative to rockets?  It just seems so primitive to put all your goodies on top of a bomb, and shoot it up with brute force, when more elegant solutions may be possible. "

Using a "Hydrogen gas balloon" doesn't cut the safety issue. Whether it's a bomb strapped under you (rocket) or above you (balloon) the results are the same in an accident. Although I think "elegant" fits the balloon scenario, the word "primitive" would fit a balloon more so than a rocket?