Writing your own software to optimise impulse-thrust-event
multiple-gravity-assist interplanetary trajectories is hard, and you'll need
a thorough grounding in the theory. The best book for me was A.V. Labunsky's
(http://reference.routledge-ny.com/books.cfm?isbn=905699090X).

I'm unaware of any gravity-assist freeware on the Web, but AGI's commercial
STK Astrogator (www.stk.com) has a 30-day free trial option.
Bill Clark at UTexas' Center for Celestial Mechanics
(http://www.inviticus.com) is a helpful tutor, as is C. David Eagle, author
of "Interplanetary Trajectory Optimisation."

Why not sidestep ballistics somewhat and go for a direct-to-Jupiter solar
sail flight? Colin R. McInnes' "Solar Sailing: Technology, Dynamics and
Mission Applications" (Springer-Verlag, London, ISBN 1-85233-102-X, 1999.
296 pages, hb £45) has all the required algorithms. Many of these are also
applicable to other low-thrust propulsion systems such as nuclear electric
propulsion, pulsed-inductive-thrusting and even VASIMR.

Hope this helps,

Ed Kite