GREAT DEBATES PART VI: ENCORE PERFORMANCE

From Astrobiology Magazine

Last month for the Astrobiology Magazine, astrobiologists debated the
"Rare Earth" hypothesis.  The debate series, separated into five
separate installments, ran on July 15, 17, 22, 24 and 29.  As a
follow-up, debate participants Christopher McKay and Michael Meyer
answer questions submitted by our readers.

Q: What might constitute a life form?  I'm assuming complex life must
be carbon and water-based, but could they be based on liquid carbon
dioxide or liquid oxygen as a solvent, and even methane or ammonia?

Christopher McKay: We have only one example of life: life on Earth,
life as we know it.  We can hardly guess at what other types are
possible.  Carbon chemistry and water solvent seem particularly well
suited for life, and our current detection strategies are based on
this model.  Looking for carbon/water life means that we need to look
for planets with Earth-like conditions in terms of the pressure,
temperature range, and, most importantly, with liquid water present.

Liquid carbon dioxide and ammonia are both good solvents and
theoretically could be the liquid of life.  However we do not know of
any planets with large amounts of either of these as liquids.

Q: In your opinion, what is the single strongest piece of evidence
that we are alone; that the Earth is a biological anomaly among the
billions of planetary experiments that must have failed?

Michael Meyer: The strongest evidence is a lack thereof--we don't
have evidence of life beyond Earth.  However, from what we think we
know (and this seems to be the opinion of the debaters) microscopic
life may be common.  But, if your question is about intelligent life,
the unknowns are tremendous.  Out of approximately
10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars, it seems reasonable that at
least one other star is capable of harboring a planet sustaining
complex life.  If complex life is rare, space is so vast and inimical
to life that we may never learn about our nearest neighbor.  But, if
there are many planetary experiments that did not fail, then it is
just a matter of time before we learn that we are not alone.

Q: Did life appear multiple times independently on Earth during
different climatic epochs?

Christopher McKay: All life on Earth can be mapped into one tree or
web of life.  This argues for a single genome of life, a common
ancestor.  We have no evidence that directly suggests that life
appeared multiple times on Earth.  The isotopic shift of carbon-13
with respect to carbon-12 that appears throughout the geological
record is consistent with the shift that is due to present types of
life.  This isotopic shift is found in sediments as old as 3.8
billion years, suggesting a continuity of life between then and now.

Q: What credibility does the astrobiology community attach to the
panspermia hypothesis?  Is there any evidence one way or another?

Christopher McKay: The question of panspermia is attracting new
interest due to recent research on the possibility of interplanetary
and interstellar transfer of life.  There's evidence that some grains
of material in our solar system came from beyond our solar system.
Recent experiments show that microorganisms can survive dormancy for
long periods of time and under space conditions.  We also now know
that rocks can travel from Mars to Earth.  Finally, there's evidence
that life appeared very early on the Earth--about 3.8 billion years
ago.

Q: How important is the moon in the evolution of life on this planet?
I read somewhere that tidal forces, planetary rotation, etc., caused
or moderated by moon's gravitation, were essential to the formation
of life here.

Michael Meyer: The moon could have played many roles, and the
relative importance of those roles depends on how things got started
on Earth.  Early on, the moon was much closer, and so tides must have
been spectacular.  If life evolved in splash zones, with the
necessary chemistry taking place during the wetting and drying of the
tidal cycle, the moon would have been critical in turning the crank
on this prebiotic chemical engine.

Perhaps more critical, the moon has helped stabilized obliquity
variations of Earth, such that we do not experience occasional major
changes in our inclination.  Right now, the Earth is tilted at 23.5
degrees, giving us seasons.  Much higher variation in obliquity would
generate greater extremes between summer and winter, and might be
considered a major impediment to the evolution of complex life--but
who knows?  Tidal forces have moderated planetary rotation, but I
don't think that's particularly important - other than a lengthening
of the diurnal cycle.

Interestingly enough, Mars is thought to tilt as much as 40 degrees
every tens to hundreds of thousands of years.  This occasional
excursion into high obliquity may be the cause of many flow features
we see on Mars today.  A large martian moon would have moderated
those obliquity excursions.

Additional information on this article is available at

NEW ADDITIONS TO THE ASTROBIOLOGY INDEX

By David J. Thomas

http://www.lyon.edu/webdata/users/dthomas/astrobiology/astrobiology.html

Astrobiology, exobiology and terraformation articles
http://www.lyon.edu/webdata/users/dthomas/astrobiology/online_articles1.html

Astrobiology Magazine, 2002.  Great debates VI: encore performance.
Astrobiology Magazine.

Terrestrial extreme environments articles
http://www.lyon.edu/webdata/users/dthomas/astrobiology/online_articles2.html

S. Hart, 2002.  Bacteria: survival in Siberia.  Astrobiology
Magazine.

Human space exploration and microgravity effects articles
http://www.lyon.edu/webdata/users/dthomas/astrobiology/online_articles3.html

Agence France-Presse, 2002.  Manned China space mission "just around
the corner".  SpaceDaily.

T. Phillips, 2002.  In search of Moon trees.  NASA Science News.

Search for extraterrestrial intelligence (SETI) articles
http://www.lyon.edu/webdata/users/dthomas/astrobiology/online_articles4.html

D. Vakoch, 2002.  Would ET vote?  The likelihood of extraterrestrial
democracy.  Space.com.

Evolutionary biology and chemistry articles
http://www.lyon.edu/webdata/users/dthomas/astrobiology/online_articles5.html

A. D. Anbar and A. H. Knoll, 2002.  Proterozoic ocean chemistry and
evolution: a bioinorganic bridge?  Science, 297(5584):1137-1142.

R. A. Kerr, 2002.  Could poor nutrition have held life back?
Science, 297(5584):1104-1105.