From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Bruce
Moomaw
Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2002 2:02 PM
To: Europa Icepick
Subject: Re: New 'moon' found around Earth

----- Original Message -----
From: "adam ." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2002 9:47 AM
Subject: RE: BBC E-mail: New 'moon' found around Earth

> the dictionary also says 'minor planet revolves around sun' and since you
> stated that Cruithne appears to cross the orbit of venus and mars too but
> did not mention anything about it relvolving around the sun i would thus
> assume that it is not a minor planet, and i never said that Cruithne
should
> be called a moon, but it sure shouldn't be called a minor planet.  I like
> Moonlet.

Actually, Cruithne is by no stretch of the imagination a moon of Earth --
it's just a Sun-orbiting asteroid which has been nudged by repeated
gravitational tugs from Earth into a "resonant" orbit; one whose timing is
synchronized with that of Earth (although, as mentioned, its perihelion is
far closer to the Sun than Earth's and its aphelion is much farther away).
You could use the same reasoning to say that Pluto is a "moon" of Neptune --
or that Io is a "moon" of Europa!  In short, all those stories about
Cruithne as a "moon" of Earth are just further displays of the tendency of
newpapers to play tabloid whenever they're dealing with even moderately
complex scientific issues that can be misrepresented to the general public
in a sensationalistic way.

But this latest thingie really is orbiting Earth.  I agree that it's
probably the S-4B stage from Apollo 12, which had a slight malfunction
during the deflection maneuver intended to slingshot it past the Moon and
into solar orbit (where the S-4Bs for Apollos 8 through 11 ended up).  It's
probably too big to be the final stage from any of the Soviet lunar and
planetary probe boosters (although some of them were pretty big).  It would
be worthwhile trying to make more observations of its shape and spectral
chracteristics, though, on the off-chance that it really is a temporarily
captured natural asteroid.

By the way, the problem of officially labeling "moon" is even more
maddening -- and ultimately arbitrary -- than the problem of whether Pluto
counts as a planet.  Does every single ring particle of Saturn deserve to be
called a "moon" and given a name?  If not, then we're going to have to set
some kind of size cutoff for the label (just as we have to do with planets).
Karkoschka's abstract at the upcoming DPS meeting extrapolates that there
are probably about 100 irregular moons of Jupiter bigger than 1 km
diameter -- God knows how many smaller ones there are.

And, yes, it is possible for a solar-orbiting object to be temporarily
captured into orbit around a planet and then later depart again -- this
happens regularly with Jupiter and comets, none of which are ever labeled as
its "moons".  Shoemaker-Levy 9 was one such comet which suffered the
relatively rare fate of eventually crashing into the planet instead.

Final note: Michael Swanwick recently wrote an SF story in which it IS
decided that every single ring particle of Saturn is a moon and must be
named, and so some poor government bureaucrat is assigned to spend his
entire life doing only that.  Upon discovering from the photos of the
particles automatically sent to him from Saturn orbiters that one of the
particles is actually an ancient alien spacecraft -- and knowing that no one
will ever, ever read through his list after he's finally done -- he names it
"Youshouldhavepaidmemore" and then makes no further mention of it to anyone.