----- Original Message -----
From: "Bruce Moomaw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Europa Icepick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 8:15 AM
Subject: Re: Icepick

Well, it took more than a few hours for me to get around to this, but here
it is.

Unfortunately, the very best detailed document on JPL's current design for a
Cryobot isn't yet on the Web:
"Cryobot: An Ice Penetrating Robotic Vehicle for Mars and Europa", by Wayne
Zimmerman, Robert Bonitz and Jason Feldman -- but it can be found in print
in the proceedings of the 2001 IEEE Aerospace Conference.  Zimmerman,
however, provides a nice capsule summary of the JPL Cryobot's design in his
1999 document "Europa: Extreme Communication Technologies for Extreme
Conditions" ( http://techreports.jpl.nasa.gov/1999/99-2051.pdf ); and Frank
D. Carsey -- another of JPL's prime reserachers on this subject -- has a
good overview of the overall problem in his piece "Exploring Europa's Ocean:
A Challenge for Marine technology of This century" (
http://techreports.jpl.nasa.gov/2000/00-0221.pdf ).  Be warned, however,
that for some reason these last two papers -- along with a few of the others
in JPL's  Technical Reports file -- are stored in a format which is
remarkably hard to print out; don't try to print more than 1 or 2 pages of
them at a time or your computer's memory is likely to overload, and be
prepared to wait for a while.  Also, there's a seminal 1997 JPL Technical
Paper on the overall subject of Europa exploration strategy -- "Searching
for Ice and Biogenic Activity on Europa and Earth"
http://techreports.jpl.nasa.gov/1997/97-0522.pdf ) -- which doesn't have
that problem.

A very good source for PDF papers on the overall problem of designing Europa
exploration missions is JPL's October 2000 workshop on the subject, which
can be found at http://sse.jpl.nasa.gov/future/europa/pdfs .  For some
reason the table of contents for this workshop has been taken off the net.
They're all useful, but those by Carsey, Mahaffy, McKinnon, Tamppari and the
longer of the two pieces by Zimmerman are likely to be most useful to you.
(This workshop dealt more with the overall problem of designing good
scientific lander missions, such as picking the best science payload.)

Another very good compendium of abstracts on the current scientific theories
about Europa, and their relevance to future exploration, is the three Europa
Focus Groups run so far by Arizona State University in 2001 and 2002 -- all
of them available through the central website at
http://astrobiology.asu.edu/focus/europa/discuss/discuss.html

COMPLEX (the solar system branch of the National Academy of Sciences' Space
Studies Board, which advises NASA on the design of its exploration efforts)
has done two very good long reports on the best scientific stragem for
Europa exploration:
"A Science Strategy for the Exploration of Europa" (1999) --
www.nas.edu/ssb/comp-europamenu.htm
"Preventing the Forward Contamination of Europa" (2000) --
www.nas.edu/ssb/europamenu.htm

Also, NASA published an excellent 1999 summary of what was known about
Europa up to then -- almost all of which is still totally accurate -- at
http://centauri.larc.nasa.gov/outerplanets/Europa_SDT.pdf .  One of the best
very short popular summaries of the subject is "Waterworld" from the 9-18-99
New Scientist (
www.newscientist.com/hottopics/astrobiology/waterworld.jsp ).

Australian student James Waldie published his very good undergraduate thesis
on "The Existence and Physical Properties of the Europa Ocean" at
http://home.vicnet.au/~nbrotar/Europam.htm .  (Be warned, however, that I'm
biased; I gave him a lot of assistance on source material.)

There's an interesting JPL press release on the science results from a 2001
test version of the Cryobot used to explore an Antarctic ice sheet:
www.jpl.nasa.gov/releases/2001/borehole.html , which shows the potential of
such vehicles.  And NASA's 2001 conference on new techniques for exploring
the outer planets includes a description of Honeybee Robotics' proposal for
an advanced "Inchworm" cryobot which could not only descend through Europa's
ice to the ocean, but then crawl all the way back up to the surface with
samples!:
www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/outerplanets2001/pdf/4085.pdf

The NSF's 1998 Lake Vostok Workshop (
www.ldeo.columbia.edu/vostok/Report.pdf ) is a nice summary of the
scientific data on that remarkable lake beneath Antarctica's icecap -- which
seems certain to be a testing ground for Europa Cryobot techniques -- and
the problems of exploring it.  (It's long, though: 7 Mbytes.)

Before any cryobot is sent to Europa, a series of simpler landers will have
to be sent to explore its surface and near-surface -- including, maybe even
onthe first lander, simpler Cryobots that will descend just a few hundred
meters through the ice to test the techniques and collect large amounts of
material from beneath the shallow upper layer of ice that's been blasted by
jupiter's intense radiation to the point that any biochemical evidence of
life has probably been destroyed.  Just melting that slightly lower ice and
analyzing its trace components, however, may provide extremely important
biological evidence.  Two good pieces on this problem (besides all those
papers from the Europa Lander Workshop) are
http://techreports.jpl.nasa.gov/1999/99-1552.pdf (no printout problem) and
www.seti.org/pdf/Chyba_Europa_Paper_aug17.pdf .  And two presentations on a
Langley concept for such a shallow Europa Cryobot mission (with penetration
of 500 meters) are at
http://rasc.larc.nasa.gov/rasc_new/rasc_fy01_top/Europa_Overview.htm
http://rasc.larc.nasa.gov/rasc_new/Europa/EUROPA_OCT2_OVERVIEW_92601_97.pdf

Finally, it should be pointed out that there have been some very important
discoveries about Europa since those very good 1999 scientific summaries I
listed above:

(1)  Galileo's induced magnetic field measurements have now established with
near-certainty the present-day Europa DOES have a substantial liquid-water
ocean -- and, moreover, that's it's global, and not broken into individual
separated bodies of water even thousands of km across.

(2)  Robert Carlson -- the principal investigator for Galileo's NIMS
spectrometer -- is now firmly convinced that the sulfur compound it's
detected in Europa's surface ice is mostly not any sulfate salt, but
concentrated sulfuric acid manufactured by Jupiter's radiation (out of
sulfur sprinkled onto Europa over the eons by Io's volcanoes, he now
thinks).  If so, Europa's ocean may be extremely acidic -- perhaps with a pH
as low as 0 or 1.  This, of course, has to be taken into account in any
Cryobot design.  It doesn't necessarily preclude Europan life -- many
species of Eath bacteria have now been found that positively frolic in such
super-concentrated H2SO4, even while it eats holes in the researchers'
clothes.  But such high acidity (assuming Carlson is right and it exists)
might well have prevented complex organic compounds from forming into life
in the first place.

(3)  The evidence seems to be growing on several fronts that the "thick
crust" model of Robert Pappalardo (in which Europa's current ice layer is as
much as 15-20 km thick) is more likely than Richard Greenberg's "thin crust"
model in which it's only a few km thick.  However, this not only doesn't
rule out life; it doesn't rule out the strong chance that a properly
desigend Cryobot mision could find large pockets of liquid water with
microbial life at much shallower depths in Europa's ice -- maybe within just
the top few hundred meters.

(4)  Chris Chyba has revolutionized theories about Europa biology in the
past few years with his theory that Jupiter's deadly raadiation may actually
be serving as the central energy source for Europa's life, by manufacturing
various nutient chemicals in the top few cm of the ice which are then
gradually conveyed by various geological processes all the way down to the
ocean, providing a nutrient source vastly richer than any paltry
hydrothermal vents on the floor of Europa's ocean.  Especially good pieces
on this are Chyba's 2001 "Science" article "Life Without Photosynthesis"
(available through his website at www.seti.org/science/litu/c-chyba.html ,
and 4 others at:
www.pnas.org.cgi/content/fall/98/3/801
www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2002/pdf/1545.pdf