From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:owner-europa@;klx.com]On Behalf Of Joe
Latrell
Sent: Monday, October 28, 2002 6:31 PM
To: Europa IcePIC mailing list
Subject: An Observation

While I have been watching the ideas fly on this list, I have noticed
one thing - the varying degrees of perception as to what the scope of
this project are.

I can actually see this broken down into a series of steps that look
something like this:

1) A design prototype (how about a napkin drawing and then go from
there).  CAD/CAM doesn't even start into the equation until you know the
package size.  Note: You may already have this but I cannot find it on
the website.

2) Build a mockup out of cheap materials like cardboard with spaces for
everything.  Batteries go here, heating element there, etc.  Measure
everything.  You can test designs and refine them, then move to CAD/CAM.

3) Cheap heating element test.  I live in Colorado and ice is cheap.
Make 1/4 to 1/2 scale models with different heating systems.  Try to
punch through ice to 10 feet (a recoverable depth).  Repeat until the
most efficient design emerges.  This can be done with cardboard models,
platicoat, and some care. Home Depot anyone?

4) Return to step one.  Now with what you have learned, repeat the
preocess.

5) Build the IcePICK for ice diving. Test like you did with the scale
models.  Now go to Alaska or wherever for the big show.

Total time frame - 18 months from start to publicity stunt.

Joe Latrell
Beyond-Earth Enterprises

BTW, I have a CAD expert ready to go, a napkin drawing (that I expect
will fail), the ability to put any kind of computer file into PDF format
(my wife is a desktop publisher with years of experience) and $200 I can
commit today.  It is not a lot, but it is a start.  Anyone ready to
play?

Let the flaming commence.