I now see a major problem with naming the terrestial model 'Icepick'.  Larry is talking about proposals for an actual Europa probe, employing a kinetic penetrator, for sometime in 2015 or beyond.

The terrestial model involves proposals for a model constructed from off-the-shelf parts, and is only capable of tunneling in terrestial glaciers.

It is of critical importance that the two projects be distinguished.  The suggested name 'Proteus' for the terrestial model was nixed, for good reason.  However, unless and until we get a separate website going, we're going to keep running into this problem of distinguishing the theoretical Europa bound 'Icepick' from the more practical, terrestial bound 'Icepick'.

Solutions?

-- John Harlow Byrne