----- Original Message -----
From: LARRY KLAES
To: europa
Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 7:16 AM
Subject: Could Mars life have landed on Europa as well?
___________________________

There's a very interesting and important scientific issue connected with
this.  The idea that meteorite exchanges may have transferred ancient
microbial life from Earth to Mars -- or, more likely, Mars to Earth, given
Mars' lower gravity which makes it far easier for giant impacts to blast
chunks of its surface rock to escape velocity -- is really starting to catch
on among scientists.  But it means that, even if we find evidence of life on
Mars, unless it's really radically different biochemically there's a good
chance that we'll never be able to tell whether or not it actually evolved
separately on Mars or is simply an ancient Earth transplant!  And, more
generally, finding such life on Mars would not do anything to prove that
life is common in the Universe -- it could easily have originated as an
extremely rare chance biochemical event on either Earth or Mars and then
simply spread to the other planet.

But Europa is much farther away (and any meteorites from the inner Solar
System crash into it at tremendously higher speed, given Jupiter's powerful
gravity) -- so if we find Europan life, the odds will much higher that it is
indeed native to Europa.  And so Europan life would be much stronger
evidence than Martian life that life is indeed a common phenomenon in the
Universe, appearing on most of the worlds where conditions allow it at all.