I didn't mean to imply that the shuttle/station wasn't the best that could be done at the time, although some evidence to the contrary has been produced during this past week. We know that many decisions about the whole program, from the earliest responses to Sputnik to actual construction of the ISS and its mission definitions, were political, not technical or scientific. We HAVE learned a lot, but my thesis is becoming that we've "been there, done that, let's move on to the next stage." Let's not put any more resources into something that is aged and unproductive; something that is preventing other avenues of exploration.
Gail
----- Original Message -----
From: John Sheff
Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 8:43 PM
Subject: RE: On/Off Topic

There IS stuff going on regarding Europa (i.e., this new Prometheus Project), but people are so into flaming about Columbia that, unfortunately, no one seems interested in talking about Europa. (I’ve tried.)

One of the difficult things I’ve had to learn about life is that people have different points of view. This doesn’t necessarily mean they are ignorant, or evil, or even - wrong. Intelligent, well-informed, well-intentioned people can be presented with the same facts as me, and come to totally different conclusions. What’s worse, rarely will my arguments – however well-reasoned – convince them that I am right and they are wrong, nor are they likely to convince me. So I’ve given up trying; I still enjoy the satisfaction of knowing, deep down inside, that I AM right!

Having said that, I still believe that the shuttle was the best we could come up with at the time given the constraints of technology and budget, that the ISS (or something like it) is a necessary stepping stone to a permanent human presence in space, and the more wonderful unmanned exploration of the solar system gets, the more it whets my appetite for going there in person. I can’t imagine anything as exciting as the thought of living in a spacefaring civilization. Maybe someday…

John Sheff

Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics

Cambridge, MA 02138

Voice: 617-495-4671

Fax: 617-496-0193

E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]