----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 7:46 PM
Subject: Solar Sail Update - February 2005

COSMOS 1 - SOLAR SAIL UPDATE
February 2005

********************
PROJECT DIRECTOR UPDATE
A PRE-LAUNCH REVIEW
by Louis Friedman

In mid-January, our lead consultants, Harris M. (Bud)
Schurmeier and James Cantrell, went with me to Moscow to
review the final stages of testing Cosmos 1 and to judge
when our solar sail spacecraft will be ready to fly.

Flight components have all been delivered and thoroughly tested,
and a full mission sequence has been simulated with the on-board
computer. Our announced launch period of 1 March to 5 April 2005
has slipped a bit. We now project that Cosmos 1 will launch in
April. The testing on the flight spacecraft has gone well, but
some corrections and fixes have been required. To enhance
reliability, extra precautions have been implemented in both
the hardware and software of the spacecraft. We do not rule
out other small slips if we take a few extra days here or there
in flight preparations, testing or last-minute checks. Unlike
launch windows for planetary missions, ours is not fixed by
celestial mechanics, so we have much more leeway in setting
a date . .

Read the entire update at:
http://planetary.org/solarsail/latest_update.html

Feel free to send this newsletter on to your
friends, colleagues, and family.
________________________________

You have been subscribed to The Planetary Society's
Solar Sail e-mail update because, at some point in the
past, you indicated a desire to receive additional
information in this format.  If you need to change
your email address, please send an email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] with Email Change - SS in the
subject line.

If you are interested in the future of planetary
exploration, please contact us at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] with your thoughts,
questions, and concerns.