  1) Is the solar evergy free? (OT)
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Seattle EV Association Nov 12th Meeting
        by "Steven S. Lough" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Is the solar evergy free? (OT)
        by "Ralph Merwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Is the solar evergy free? (OT)
        by Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Reality Check on Nimh Batteries
        by Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Reality Check on Nimh Batteries
        by josh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Is the solar evergy free? (OT)
        by Sharkey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Rudman reg madness
        by "David" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Toyota Celicas
        by "1sclunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) EVDash (was: Emeter and Palm devices)
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Theoretical range/performance
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: EVDash (was: Emeter and Palm devices)
        by "Dave Stensland" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Sparrow down again (still?)
        by "1sclunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Theoretical range/performance
        by Matthew Muelver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Is the solar evergy free? (OT)
        by "1sclunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Theoretical range/performance
        by "1sclunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Sparrow down again (still?)
        by "Thomas Shay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Sparrow down again (still?)
        by "John G. Lussmyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Rolling Resistance When Wet?
        by "Thomas Shay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Hey - are hybrids a "crock"?
 21) RE: Toyota Celicas
        by "Vince" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: evercel
        by "Cliff Rassweiler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Hardware for regen/dynamic braking set up?
        by "Cliff Rassweiler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Cheap switchmode supplies- Ferro mod.
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Reality Check on Nimh Batteries
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: LED Low Voltage was (Red: Cheap LCD Voltmeter)
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: Hardware for regen/dynamic braking set up?
        by "Cliff Rassweiler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: Reality Check on Nimh Batteries
        by Peter VanDerWal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Re: LED Low Voltage was (Red: Cheap LCD Voltmeter)
        by Peter VanDerWal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 30) A familiar SAD story makes it to AUTOWEEK MAG.
        by "Steven S. Lough" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
The hardware to produce the energy is not free (yet), no question.

Once purchased though, the energy itself is free because it cost you
no more to waste it all day long vs. not spending a single Wh of it.

And the beauty of it is if you waste it all day long, no more
earth resources consumed vs. if you waste nothing.
You recapture light which otherwise is wasted in your roof anyway.

Like a car - you bought it for $20k, and *driving* (vs. not driving)
is free now (except consumables/maint/wear) - you're still the same
$20k short and can save nothing by driving more, less or not at all.

What am I missing in *concept* (no nit picking please)?

We will be again be meeting at Chuck Bensons house at 7pm on Tuesday
evening, the 12th ( directions for newbies - at -
http://slough1.home.mindspring.com/seva-m.html )

Our member John Wagner, is lining up a guest speaker from a Hybrid/Bus
program.

Also, I will have pictures from the Seattle International Auto Show,
where I helped out with
Alastair Dodwell of SpitFire Motors (Sparrow)

See all the North West'ers  there...
--
Steven S. Lough, Pres.
Seattle EV Association
Victor Tikhonov writes:

> The hardware to produce the energy is not free (yet), no question.
>
> Once purchased though, the energy itself is free because it cost you
> no more to waste it all day long vs. not spending a single Wh of it.
>
> And the beauty of it is if you waste it all day long, no more
> earth resources consumed vs. if you waste nothing.
> You recapture light which otherwise is wasted in your roof anyway.
>
> Like a car - you bought it for $20k, and *driving* (vs. not driving)
> is free now (except consumables/maint/wear) - you're still the same
> $20k short and can save nothing by driving more, less or not at all.
>
> What am I missing in *concept* (no nit picking please)?

People either buy as much of a PV system as they can afford or they size
their system according to their requirements.  If the latter, the system
will be smaller and cost less if your equipment is more efficient (assuming
that you don't spend as much on more efficient equipment as you would on a
larger system).

Ralph
The hardware to produce the energy is not free (yet), no question.

Once purchased though, the energy itself is free because it cost you
no more to waste it all day long vs. not spending a single Wh of it.

And the beauty of it is if you waste it all day long, no more
earth resources consumed vs. if you waste nothing.
You recapture light which otherwise is wasted in your roof anyway.

Like a car - you bought it for $20k, and *driving* (vs. not driving)
is free now (except consumables/maint/wear) - you're still the same
$20k short and can save nothing by driving more, less or not at all.

What am I missing in *concept* (no nit picking please)?
1) The initial cost, which also might be paid over a long time with a loan, is an ongoing expense. If I own a more efficient car, I can purchase less capacity and therefore pay less every day. Would you buy a $40k car if it appeared and performed the same as a $20k car? I think not. It's the same for renewable energy.

2) My solar array, like many others like it, is tied to the utility grid. Excess energy goes in to the grid and offsets energy produced by other means.

I believe the whole cause for EVs is made by looking at the big picture, the life cycle costs. It's the same for renewables, the fact that all the costs are up front does not change the fact that PV solar power still costs more than grid electricity.

-Otmar-
http://www.CafeElectric.com
Mailto:otlists@;evcl.com
> But it's not free. I don't know why many people come up with this idea.
>
> I have $18,300.00 worth of solar system on my roof. Considering the
> time value of money, those "cost" about $1000 a year.If you like you
> can see the system here http://evcl.com/solar

It's "free" in terms of it doesn't cost you *extra* every day or every
year because inefficient charging.

You already pay $1k per year to depreciate it, that's given, even if
you charge nothing.

So if you start charge *something* it's free electricity comparing
to charging nothing (and still paying deprecation).

So my point is it's not free in terms of dollars you pay for it,
it's that once it in place, switching to less efficient charging
(so you have to spend more electricity now) is free.

Victor
Whoops, looks like you've split this thread into two.

My point is that if you change to less efficient charging, you will need to increase the size of your system to handle the load.
This is not free.
If you don't have to increase the size, then that only proves that the system was oversized to begin with.

-Otmar-
http://www.CafeElectric.com
Mailto:otlists@;evcl.com
On Fri, 8 Nov 2002 13:01:55 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

>>From what I found, the charging efficiency of Nimh is
>only about 66%, minus the energy needed for cooling.
>This is an extremely low number!  Assuming everything
>else is 100% efficient, we are only getting 66% of the
>energy we put in them.  In my opinion, this is
>unacceptable!  If the power station is 50% efficient
>(on the high end), this means we are actually getting
>only about 33% of the total energy content of the fuel
>source.
>
>Although this is still much better than the 18.2% we
>get from a modern ICE
>(http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/atv.shtml), it is much
>lower than I thought, especially after I learned that
>a fuel cell is about 60% effecient and a Honda Insight
>is close to that.  Did I get my numbers wrong
>somewhere?
>
>Ed Ang

I'm not sure, but I think the number you site for "a" fuel cell is a
bit higher than what I would have thought of as the average, unless
some sort of cogeneration is assumed (i.e., using the excess heat to
heat the interior of a car?).  I was surprised to find, a year or so
ago, that many fuel cell efforts fall below the 50% efficiency area,
though they can be much higher, depending on chemistry, etc.

While ICE engines are often less than 30 or 40% efficiency, I'll have
to go to that link to check where you got the 18.2%.  I assume before
I go that this is not representative of diesels, which are somewhat
higher than gasoline ICE efficiencies (though not at all near where we
need them to be to start really valuing the energy enough to satisfy.

I heard from an EV1 owner that there are many anti-efficient aspects
to trying to use NIMH in those cars, so I am faimiliar with the basic
problem that you allude to, but perhaps, in a better-designed gen2
effort, some of these inefficiencies would be dealt with?
>What am I missing in *concept* (no nit picking please)?

Victor;

What I see missing is the factor that a $20k automobile has basically a
zero return-on-investment. It is going to either wear out or rust out
regardless if you drive it or not. Most likely, it will be old and
out-of-sytle before it's paid off.

Solar has a large up-front investment, but (AFAIK) *never* wears out, runs
down or goes out of fashion. Manufacturers are offering 25 year warranties,
which they wouldn't do if the PV's were likely to have a short lifespan.
Solar modules in space (a very harsh environment) have been cranking out
the amps on some ancient satellites for 40 years or more.

Additionally, if you buy a car that is too small, you have to sell it (at a
loss) and buy one that is large enough to suit your purposes. With solar, a
small system can be expanded by adding modules to the existing system with
no loss of operating functionality. Try that with an SUV.

Describing the power PV's produce as "free" is a misnomer, and one that
opens the door for naysayers to attack the principle. My 1.8 Kw solar array
will *never* produce enough power in my lifetime to pay for itself (at
least not at today's power rates). Each Kw pumped back into the utility
grid cost me up front in equipment and installation expenses. So why do I
do it? Because it's the right thing (for me) to do with disposable income.
Some guys have boats, dirt bikes, race cars or other expensive
energy-wasting hobbies. My hobby is *producing* energy, not consuming it.

-S
I don't know how these motors compare, but typical inrush for an industrial
high efficiency induction motor is around 800% of full load amps while
running.  These motors could see a similar inrush.  However, since the fan
presents little load at low speed, the duration will be shorter.  It could
be long enough to pull down the voltage at the Reg, though, and turn it off.
(See Joe's post)

From: "jerry dycus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>      While we're on chargers I have a 50amp/12vdc nom
> ferro charger/ maintainer for yachts.
>      The problem is I want to use it for quick
> charging at 25+ amps/28vdc but is a couple volts
> short.
>      Can I disconnect the cap ?
>      If I do I want to put a switch to switch it in
> and out to use it for high and safe charge rates. What
> kind of voltage rating would it need?

First, I assume you are changing from a 2-diode center-tapped secondary
to a full bridge to raise the output voltage from 12vdc to 24vdc.

The AC capacitor is part of the regulating circuit. You don't want to
disconnect it completely, or you'll have almost no output. But you can
adjust its value up/down a bit to adjust the output voltage. A little
more capacitance will raise the output voltage.

However, this also degrades regulation. If you only need 1-2 volts more,
you could also use Schottky diodes for the bridge rectifier; they have
about half the voltage drop of silicon diodes, and so would raise your
output about 1 volt. This has the side effect of *improving* voltage
regulation.
--
Lee A. Hart                Ring the bells that still can ring
814 8th Ave. N.            Forget your perfect offering
>> From what I found, the charging efficiency of Nimh is
>> only about 66%, minus the energy needed for cooling.
>> This is an extremely low number!

They're not that bad. 80% efficiency would be more typical, and they can
be as high as 90% efficient if you charge and discharge at lower
currents and stay between 25% and 75% SOC.

Most of the inefficiency comes as they near full charge. The voltage
goes up considerably, and they start producing a lot of heat. Unlike
lead-acid, heat kills nimh, so the batteries may need to be actively
cooled to survive.

josh replied:

> I heard from an EV1 owner that there are many anti-efficient aspects
> to trying to use NIMH in those cars, so I am familiar with the basic
> problem that you allude to, but perhaps, in a better-designed gen2
> effort, some of these inefficiencies would be dealt with?

Yes. The EV1 wasn't designed for nimh batteries (or apparently lead-acid
batteries, either). They didn't think about battery temperature
management, and packed them tight with no insulation or provisions for
heating or cooling.

With lead-acid, this meant the car was unusable in cold climates. So,
they just avoided taking them anywhere that it got really cold.

With nimh, the car was unusable in hot climates. But GM had already
committed to providing the EV1 in Arizona and California where it *does*
get hot. They dealt with this problem by cooling the batteries with the
car's air conditioner while charging.

A second problem has to do with the Magnecharger. It is not particularly
efficient, either. The nimh EV1 thus pays a double penalty in charging
efficiency, due to an inefficient charger and having to run the air

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I would like to do this for my current and future battery pack. I
> want to set up a box with the 18 leds on my dash, with room to add a
> few more. The diodes and any other stuff would be remotely in a box
> next to each of my 3 battery box. What else do I need besides the
> LED's and Zener diodes of the appropriate types?

The circuit will work with nothing but the low-voltage detect LED and
zener diode. However, you may want to include a small trimpot in series
so you can adjust the precise voltage at which the LED turns on. You
would use the next lower voltage standard zener, and make up the
difference with the trimpot.

For example, standard zener voltages are 6.8v, 7.5v, 8.2v, etc. The 7.5v
zener plus the 2.5v LED gives you a 10v threshold. For a 10.5v
threshold, the series resistor needs to drop an additional 0.5v / 3ma =
166 ohms.

> The amp draw on the spec sheet is 3ma for each battery so it seems a
> waste, or worse, to have a master switch and relays to switch them all
> off.

I agree. 3ma is so low that the batteries will die from self-discharge
before this low current will run them down. The low-voltage detect LED
also draws less current when it is off.

> But do I need to have fuses on each pair of wires between the box and
> the LEDs in the dash rated to break full pack voltage

Yes, you want a fuse or fusible device in each wire. Not so much because
the zener or LED might fail, but because the wires themselves may get
accidentally shorted. Real fuses are expensive. For applications like
this, where the exact fusing current and time aren't important, you can
use #30 wire as a fuse, or put a 1/4 watt resistor in series with each
lead.
--
Lee A. Hart                Ring the bells that still can ring
814 8th Ave. N.            Forget your perfect offering
Sartell, MN 56377 USA      There is a crack in everything
leeahart_at_earthlink.net  That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen
Victor,

> Cliff, since one inverter controls front wheels regen and another - rear
> wheels, and both take input from common regen pot, think of possible
> adjustments
> you may need to implement, if front of the car regens harder (or softer)
> then
> the rear.

When the DAQ system is up and working, we plan to take the signals from the
throttle pots, read them in the computer and output seperate signals to the
controllers. This will allow all sorts of modifing of the signal. Combined
with the wheel speed sensors, we can do a form of ABS and traction control.
A totally mechanical back up Emergency Disconnect within reach of the driver
allows us to overrule the computer if there is a problem.

For early testing, I have been thinking about a trimpot between the throttle
pot and one controller. This might allow us to bias the regen front to rear.

Cliff

www.ProEV.com
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Perhaps under laboratory conditions, but not in the real world. Several manufacturers have produce NiMH versions of vehicles that were also available with PbA. They ALL use far more electicity than the PbA varsions, some times almost twice as much for the same distance.

Besides, what is the point of having NiMH batteries if you always keep them partially discharged? You example (25%-75%) would mean that you were only using 50% of their capacity. If that's the case use PbA for your normal trips and rent a Ferrari with the money you saved on those occasional longer trips.

From what I found, the charging efficiency of Nimh is
[...]

-snip-

Yes, you want a fuse or fusible device in each wire. Not so much because
the zener or LED might fail, but because the wires themselves may get
accidentally shorted. Real fuses are expensive. For applications like
this, where the exact fusing current and time aren't important, you can
use #30 wire as a fuse, or put a 1/4 watt resistor in series with each
lead.

How about combining the 1/4 resistor and the trim pot with a simple low cost solution?
Use a 1/4 resistor of about 150 ohms or so. Take a triangular file and slowly file a notch in the center of the resistor. This will remove some of the carbon and increase it's resistance (and lower it's short circuit current capability). When it gets to the right value stop filing and cover the notch with some fingernail polish.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, this isn't very precise, but you don't need a high degree of precision for an idiot light.
A freelance auto writer friend of mine, Terry Parkhurst sent me this
"heads-up" .  Although we are all aware of this on the EV Discussion
List already,  and lots of bandwidth has been taken up discussing it,  I
am glad it made it to the auto press.

Terry's message follows:

Steve !  Read this; it is just unf#@%$ingbelievable. I can't understand
why GM
won't let these folks buy their EV1s. I hope as many people as can,
ship them outside the states. Reading this made me lose all respect
for GM management. There's really no guts there. It's all about
short-term profit. You were probably better off never to go back to
Detroit, Steve. - Terry

Article snippit:

Pulling the plug: GM’s decision to end electric vehicle leases comes
as a shock to EV1 enthusiasts

Greg Hanssen’s story is a familiar one. He leased his dream car. He
drove it all over the country and documented his trips on his Web
site. He made friends because of the car. He worked on it, tinkered
with it, and improved it. He even leased a second one. The car
became a part of his identity. But tragically for Hanssen, it isn’t
a 911, a Mustang or a Miata for which his passion burns, but General
Motors’ electric car, the EV1. In February, GM notified EV1 lessees
that it wouldn’t be extending their leases when they begin expiring
this winter.

Full article and pictures can be seen at:
http://autoweek.com/cat_print.mv?content_code=03541646