  6) ev on Mr. Rogers
        by josh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: frying AC connections
        by "Mark Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) DC-DC theory question
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: EVs on Ebay
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 10) Re: Zebras - I have a bite, maybe...
        by Lock Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Charging at low current overnight
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: EVs on Ebay
        by "Doug Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Zebras - info and some diary (longish)
        by Lock Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Fixed Vacuum Pump was (vacuum dummy light)
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 15) Re: Batteries for go-kart
        by "Dean Thompson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Raptor600 connection info
        by Richard Bebbington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Fixed Vacuum Pump was (vacuum dummy light)
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Zebras
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Radio interview
        by Michael Hoskinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Charging old batteries (was Equalizing... How many amps do
  I need?)
        by Michael Hoskinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) re:  Odd digest format
        by "Tim Clevenger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) OT: quote of the day
        by Michael Haseltine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: OT: quote of the day
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Optimal battery pack?
        by "Johanna and Stan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: DC-DC theory question
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Request for VW Rabbitt adapter plate dimensions
        by "Roy Reker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) seeking Brusa NLG412 power stage, for my Solectria Force
        by beckettw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: Charging old batteries (was Equalizing... How many amps do
          I need?)
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Battery pack design for "ultra-light" EV
        by "Walker, Lesley R" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
I've seen import dial indicators for less than $10.  At the Dayton
Hamfest, I bought a new dial indicator and magnetic base for $25.  The
kind I believe you are thinking of mounts in the chuck of your mini-mill,
you rotate it, and know you are centered inthe hole when the indicator
dosn't move.

What I've done is buy a USB Intel QXB3 microscope on e-bay, mount it where
my spindle goes on my computerized x-y table, draw some cross hairs on the
computer monitor, and move the table around to find the 'edges' of holes,
etc.  By taking at least 3 data points (x-y coord) of a round hole, and a
little trig, you can determine the position of the center hole.  Sort of
like an optical comparitor.

The reason I'm doing this is the scrap aluminum plate I bought surplus
($0.80/lb) has some holes in it.  I need to measure the locations of the
existing holes so I can enter them in the cad program.  This way I can
make sure I design my adaptor around the existing holes.

- Steven Ciciora

Seth wrote:
Subject: Re: Motor adapters

Often times estate/garage sales or even pawn shops will dial indicator
equipment reasonably priced. Ot the local buy/sell swap magazine. I
would think you shoould be able to get something for under US$50, maybe
half that.

Seth

Lawrence Rhodes wrote:
> using 125v 30 amp connectors with #10 wire... It always runs hot...
> the B & W puts out 20 amps at first but quickly goes down to 15 amps.

AC current in is not the same as DC current out. With a K&W charger
phase-controlled charger, the AC input current is always higher than the
DC output current. 20 amps out could easily be 40 amps in. That is
probably what is burning up your connectors.

You can't just measure AC input current with an inexpensive meter,
either. Most such meters assume a sinewave. Phase controlled chargers
draw their current as narrow, high-current spikes. To accurately measure
such currents, you need a "true RMS" type meter. They cost more, but
tell you the true current regardless of the waveform.

If you don't mind experimenting a bit, here is a tricky way to measure
true RMS current with simple equipment. Let's say you want to know when
you are at 20 amps RMS.

1. Get two small 2-cell flashlights. Take one apart to use the light
   bulb; it is likely a #49 (2v), #PR4 (2.33v), or #PR2 (2.38v).

2. Install only one cell in the flashlight; use a piece of wire to
   short out the place for the other battery. The flashlight still
   works on only 1.5v; it is just very dim.

3. Get a power resistor with a voltage drop to match the voltage of
   your 1-cell flashlight at your desired current. Its resistance is
   R = V/I = 1.5v / 20a = 0.075 ohms. Its power rating is P = V x I
   = 1.5v x 20a = 30 watts.

4. Connect the second flashlight's light bulb across the resistor.
   Wire the resistor in series with the AC input to your charger (or
   whatever RMS current is to be measured). I would also include a
   toggle switch to short out the resistor when you don't need to
   make a measurement so the resistor doesn't get hot and waste power.

To use it, turn on the flashlight powered by one cell, and open the
switch so the light bulb powered by the resistor's voltage drop are both
lit. When the lamps are the same brightness, the power in both of them
is identical. With the above resistor value, same brightness means 20
amps RMS current is flowing.

This works at any lamp voltage. For example, you could put a
potentiometer in series with the flashlight's 2 cells to adjust its
brightness until it matches the light bulb on the resistor's brightness.
Then measure the voltage on the flashlight's light bulb. Whatever
voltage is on the flashlight's bulb is the true RMS voltage on the AC
light bulb, too. From this voltage and the resistor's value, you can
calculate the true RMS current.

This trick works because RMS current measures the heating effect on
things (resistors, light bulbs, connectors, wire, etc.). A light bulb
happens to be very easy to see how hot it is (human eyes are extremely
sensitive to brightness differences).
--
Lee A. Hart                Ring the bells that still can ring
814 8th Ave. N.            Forget your perfect offering

My name is (stardard penpal greeting) Robert Salem.

I live in columbus and have a 81 vw pickup truck that i race. It
has 240 volts, 11" Kostov, DCP1200 T-Rex..
Best time(15.854 sec 1/4 mile) this summer at "Power of DC" Race
in Maryland. I have also raced in Xenia at the vw race in Summer.
What are you building and were are you ??

Maybe we can get together some time.

> I've seen import dial indicators for less than $10.  At the
Dayton
> Hamfest, I bought a new dial indicator and magnetic base for
$25.  The
> kind I believe you are thinking of mounts in the chuck of your
mini-mill,
> you rotate it, and know you are centered inthe hole when the
indicator
> dosn't move.
>
> What I've done is buy a USB Intel QXB3 microscope on e-bay,
mount it where
> my spindle goes on my computerized x-y table, draw some cross
hairs on the
> computer monitor, and move the table around to find the 'edges'
of holes,
> etc.  By taking at least 3 data points (x-y coord) of a round
hole, and a
> little trig, you can determine the position of the center hole.
Sort of
> like an optical comparitor.
>
> The reason I'm doing this is the scrap aluminum plate I bought
surplus
> ($0.80/lb) has some holes in it.  I need to measure the
locations of the
> existing holes so I can enter them in the cad program.  This
way I can
> make sure I design my adaptor around the existing holes.
>
> - Steven Ciciora
>
> Seth wrote:
> Subject: Re: Motor adapters
>
> Often times estate/garage sales or even pawn shops will dial
indicator
> equipment reasonably priced. Ot the local buy/sell swap
magazine. I
> would think you shoould be able to get something for under
US$50, maybe
> half that.
>
> Seth
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > In a message dated 11/15/02 8:41:57 AM US Mountain Standard
Time,
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> >
> > << Of course if you have one of those rotating dial gauges
used for
> centering
> >  holes, then alignment for copying is pretty easy.  Anybody
know where I
> can
> >  get one of these that doesn't cost as much as my mini mill?
> >   >>

Sorry !  Was for Steve.

List got me again.