  1) Re: Parallel strings or buddy pairs?
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Charger standards
        by Bruce EVangel Parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: EVLN(GM crunches Voltrod, McCollister eyes RAV4 EV)
        by Alan Batie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: EVLN(GM crunches Voltrod, McCollister eyes RAV4 EV)
        by Mike Chancey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: Electric vehicles are not dead.
        by "James Jarrett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: EV List Weirdness
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: EV digest 2449
        by Marvin Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Evercel MB80
        by John Lussmyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) ZAP making an offer for Think, needs to hear about Tango
        by "Tim Clevenger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: EVs - how to charge without a private garage
 11) Re: Potentially incredibly cool device for sale
 12) Re: Silent Running was(Re: Responding to EV Naysayers)
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Sparrow battery heaters and MKII regulators
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: ZAP making an offer for Think, needs to hear about Tango
        by "VanDerWal, Peter MSgt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Sparrow battery heaters and MKII regulators
        by John Lussmyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Silent Running, an' OT stuff, a bit.
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Silent Running, an' OT stuff, a bit.
        by Adam Kuehn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: EV digest 2451
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Silent Running was(Re: Responding to EV Naysayers)
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Silent Running, an' OT stuff, a bit.
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 21) Re: Silent Running, an' OT stuff, a bit.
        by "Rod Hower" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: EVLN(Repercussions from Ford's EV abandonment)
        by "Prasad" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Evercell MB80 picture
        by Eric Penne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Evercell MB80 picture
        by "Chad Peddy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Here we go AGAIN! WARNING!
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Here we go AGAIN! WARNING!
        by Lonnie Borntreger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: Here we go AGAIN! WARNING!
        by "Chad Peddy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
On 2 Dec 2002 at 13:49, Phil Bardsley wrote:

> Should I configure the pack as 2
> parallel strings, or set up one string of 12 pairs?

I say "both."

Connect them in two strings, and parallel the strings.  Then, add small-
gauge wires, possibly fused, to "buddy pair" the equivalent batteries in the
strings.  This allows the advantages of buddy-pairing, such as lower battery
regulator count (if you use them), and improves charge balance between the
strings.

However, if one battery gets a bad cell, the small-diameter wire paralleling
it with another one in the other string warns you of the problem because it
gets warm or hot, or blows the fuse (check them periodically).

Without the cross-wires, should one of the batteries develop a weak cell,
the higher voltage string will constantly discharge itself into the other,
running itself down and overcharging the lower voltage string's good
batteries.

1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
1974 Avco New Idea rider 36vdc

Alan,

I suggest you see http://geocities.com/evcharging and I that
you look at some factors local to your part of Georgia.

Twist lock connectors like L6-30 should never be used.  If
the vehicle moves (earthquake in CA, or driver forgets to
unplug, etc.), the twist lock stays and the ripped apart
live wires tangle.

Straight blade connectors like the 5-20, and the 14-50 can
be used. But some hosts would be liability concerned of
the 14-50 (208VAC).

A standard 120VAC 20amp built in gfi duplex receptacle
should be part of any public EV charging installation, for
nEVs and conversions to use.

But there are few production EVs available that can charge
on a level 1, 1kw 120VAC 20amp 5-20 outlet. So, a level 2
6kw source will need to be provided.

Installing a regular 14-50 and 5-20 would be the easiest and
least costly. This would similar to using the power at an RV
park. But because of the fore mentioned liability concerns, a
charging head is installed instead of a 14-50 40amp outlet.

Installing a 5-20 and an AVCON would provide power to all
EVS (inductive EVs would carry their charger and AVCON
adaptor).

An AVCON powerpak charging head (link on the above site) is
currently priced about $400. The TAL (small paddle
inductive) costs over $2000. By the way, the TAL's small
paddle work fine with large paddle EVs.

If done correctly the correct charging is installed in a
contiguous route without wasting installation funds on
equipment that isn't needed.  I would find out how far
away is the nearest TAL and AVCON charging heads are.

LA has way too many EV charging spots, too close
together. In Hollywood, some are across the street
from each other (a big waste of EV installation fund$).

EV charging locations should be in a contiguous route,
the locations should have 24 hour access, and hopefully
there is something to do where there. The SF Costco
only allows access during their business hours. This
is not good for traveling EV drivers (how are they to
know the hours. Worse they show up and are locked out).

RAV4 EVs with their easy 90 mile range, only need a TAL
charging head every 80 miles. So installing a TAL at
every EV charging spot is not needed, and would be a
waste of EV charging installation funds.

AVCON users (Rangers, Think Citys, and EVs that adapt to the
AVCON) have a range from 50 to 35 miles. So, AVCON charging
heads should be located every 30 miles for maximum access.

Scenarios:

-Host is liability concerned, there is already TAL chargers
 80 miles apart, and the host will provide only one parking
 spot near a wall.

 Then install an AVCON powerpak and a 5-20 on the wall. The
 EV parking sign is mounted at a 5 foot height, and the
 charger and outlet is just below the sign. A front wheel
 cement block is installed 5 feet from the charger.  (this
 will put the sign in the driver's face, and the block keeps
 the huge SUVs from smashing the charging head).

-The host is liability concerned, there is no TAL chargers
 that meet the 80 mile range, and the host will provide
 three parking spots together in the back of the parkig
 lot.

 Then install an AVCON powerpak on one pole in front of the
 right parking spot. And a TAL charging head with a 5-20
 below it on another pole in front of the left parking spot.
 Each pole is 6 ft tall (2 feet in the ground) with the EV
 parking sign is mounted at a 5 foot height, and the charger
 and outlet is just below the sign. A front wheel cement
 block is installed 5 feet in front of each charger.  Each
 spot's lines are paint green, and the middle spot is
 diagonally marked with green lines to show the three spots
 are connected.

-The host want to go for the lowest cost, is not concerned
 liability, there is already TAL chargers 80 miles apart, and
 the host will provide only one parking spot in the rear
 near the power panel. The location was not marked
 previously as a parking spot, and the space will be
 parallel with the wall. The spot will not be used by
 delivery trucks.

 Then install an AVCON powerpak and a 5-20 on the wall. The
 EV parking sign is mounted at a 5 foot height, and the
 charger and outlet is just below the sign. The spot will
 have green painted lines to denote a special spot.

If you have any other EV charging questions let me know.

 -Bruce

=====
' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor & RE newswires
. (originator of the above EV ascci art)
=====

http://mailplus.yahoo.com
On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 09:09:18PM -0800, Bruce EVangel Parmenter wrote:
> However, the car operates on 26 12-volt lead-acid batteries,
> which cost about $20,000 to replace.

$800 lead-acid batteries?  What, are they buying them from military
suppliers?

--
Alan Batie                   ______    alan.batie.org                Me
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               \    /    www.qrd.org         The Triangle

    We've got all the youth we need, how about a fountain of smart?
Alan Batie wrote:

$800 lead-acid batteries?  What, are they buying them from military
suppliers?
Back when my Civic EV was still equipped with 12 volt Delphi batteries from an EV1, I contacted an EV1 dealer in California about replacements. I was quoted $768 each for the Panasonic replacement units. Obviously, I didn't buy them. 26 would have cost me $20,000.

Thanks,

Mike Chancey,
'88 Civic EV
Kansas City, Missouri
EV List Photo Album at: http://evalbum.com
My Electric Car at: http://www.geocities.com/electric_honda
Mid-America EAA chapter at: http://maeaa.org
Join the EV List at: http://www.madkatz.com/ev/evlist.html
Neat letter,

Personally, I think that most people who report on cars see electric's as
toys that don't have a prayer, so I don't expect you to get much in the way
of positive respons but let us know if anyone responds.

James F. Jarrett
Information Systems Associate
Charlotte Country Day School
(704)943-4562

One if by LAN, two if by C. - Paul Revere, as told by John Karwoski