  1) Re: newbie questions,  Diablo conversion
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: good news for Boise, ID
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Street legal?
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  4) Re: 9" motor inductance D'OH
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: Looking for compact over-run clutch for regen....
        by Grant Young <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Woodburn 2004
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) (no subject)
        by David M <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) FW: controller precharge circuit
        by "Markus L" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: 750w scooter
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 10) RE: Ultracaps
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Good deal on an EVT (if it doesn't get "bid up")
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 12) FW: newbie questions,  Diablo conversion
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) RE: Looking for compact over-run clutch for regen....
        by "Andre Blanchard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: newbie questions,  Diablo conversion
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) ProEV's Imp on track!
        by "Cliff Rassweiler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: Ultracaps
        by "Klemkosky, Mark A" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: newbie questions,  Diablo conversion
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: Thunder Sky & AGM hybrid pack Re: Thundersky Lithium
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: FW: newbie questions,  Diablo conversion +, Hurricanes, EV's and Oil
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Woodburn 2004
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) New: Just getting started.
        by "Kirk A. Reinkens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: TEVan control smoke
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Cooling System - order of plumbing
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: 750w scooter
       Hi Victor and All,
--- Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> jerry dycus wrote:
>
> >      I think you can as you should be able to get
> > around 100/150watt/hr/mile if you pay attention to
> > drag and eff.
>
> Jerry, please pay attention to the units.
>
> 100/150/watt/hr/mile makes absolutely no sense.
> I know what you are trying to say, but a newbie
> might learn something wrong.

    So how would you say it?
    Last time I checked Wt/hr is a measurement of
power x time for total power and if you take the
amount of power in wt/hrs put into the batts after a
run and divide it by the miles you get the power in
wt/hrs it takes to go a mile. No?

> >      Another way would be using a 13/26amphr high
> > power Hawker battery parallel pack with the
> li-ions
> > with a Zilla-2k hi voltage unit would be vastly
> better
> > than ultra caps.
>
> Vastly? I suppose you can back this up with some
> calculations?

     Yes, can you?

> >       To put it mildly, ultra caps suck. They are
> just
> > hype.
>
> Sorry to disappoint you Jerry, but this claim is
> totally false.
> So the question remains - any data to back up your
> opinion?
> >       Whatever you pick we will be here to help
> you do
> > it right,
> >                  jerry dycus
>
> Simon,
>
> My advise is if you want to try something, ask
> someone
> who *has done* exactly what you want how well it
> works.
> Ask for data. Ignore just opinions because they will
> range from 100% right to 100% wrong and you will
> waste
> all your effort to separate which is which rather
> than
> trying build things and learn from it.

    So true, especially if that someone is selling it.
Show us how?

> Start with realistic goal having upgrade to where
> you want to be in mind. First hand experience will
> worth more than all the opinions, not to mention
> that
> you will be far ahead with your project.

     Where are ultra caps realistic? Maybe in a drag
racer where you only need 1 -12 sec burst but even
then way too expensive. Batts give you many cycles and
extended power availibility for minutes at a time.

> >>I know I don't get 350 hp from that. but when
> using
> >>large capacitors, can't
> >>I get
> >>a lot more when I need it than 150 hp??
>
> You can get more power from ultracapacitors than you
> need.
> It is only matter of how much space/weight/money do
> you have
> and whether your drive system can take advantage of
> them.

    His can?  Can UC's deliver 150hp for 1 minute?

> I have a sample of mass produced 5kF ultracapacitor
> weighting 850g delivering 10kW peak power,
> 4000A peak discharge current @ 2.5V starting voltage
> -
> I showed it to a few people at Woodburn. So just 12
> capacitors
> will provide your 115kW ("150hp") peak power - for
> fraction
> of second (and if you need it longer you start out
> with
> larger initial capacitance to increase RC constant).

   WoW!!! 115kw for a part of a second!!! That's going
to do you a lot of good!
   So Victor how many UC's do you need to put out
1,000 amp's for 12 sec?
   How much do they cost, weigh?
   Do you use electronics to get the power from them?
How much does it cost, weigh?
   What do you do if you need another burst of power
again like on any road driving in real life?
   Second, how many do you need to start up a hill of
3 degree grade that runs for a mile? Lets call it 400
amps for for 2 minutes?
   How much would they weigh, costs with electronics?
   How long before Li-ions can recharge them for
another power burst like that?

> FYI, my EV is full of ultracaps (I'll report stats
> shortly).

    As I said they are only good for people with more
money than brains. It doesn't take a rocket scientist
to figure out.

> Jerry, how about yours?

     No way as I have more brains than money!!! I also
have common sense.
     Looking forward to you data proving me wrong as
everyone elese is.

http://vote.yahoo.com

Jon Glauser wrote:
> I just got put in charge of the electric car that Boise State
> University has! My chance has finally come to access the EV
> grin! I just gotta get it running first...

Good to hear from you again, Jon. Congratulations on your new position!

> I made up a quick site about it here: jon.silvercheetah.net

Looks pretty good. This appears to be a well-made EV conversion with a
lot of promise.

> The batteries have been sitting for quite a while (about a year).
> They are way out of balance... Should I use a 12V charger to get
> them each charged up first and into something resembling a balanced
> state?

Yes, that's where I would start. If the batteries sat dead for a year,
they are likely to be seriously damaged, if not completely shot.

Since you have an E-meter, it might be worth wiring it as a battery
tester, and do some cycle tests on each 12v battery to see where they
stand. You can use the 12v system of the car itself as a load.

On your website, you mention the lack of (accurate) documentation. One
of the things engineers have to learn is that good documentation is
VITAL! Without it, you are just stumbling around in the dark. In a
project like this, people will be wandering in and out of the program
all the time. So, one of the first orders of business is to document
what you have and how it works! This alone will probably reveal many of
the problems (and fixes).
has!" -- Margaret Mead
--
Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377  leeahart_at_earthlink.net

This guy keeps trying to sell his "adult pedal car" on eBay -
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3842499544 - almost $100K
over a year ago to under $40K now.

What I was wondering is how these can be street legal. If electric, they'd have
to fit the nEV class requirements (with no suspension?), if pedalled, they're
not really "cars" but quadricycles, and if gas, it doesn't seem they'd be legal
on any public street. The "mini Auburn" body is nice, but they need a better
frame to sit on.