        by richard ball <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: "Lee Hart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> I hesitate to mention a "bad boy" charger to a beginner, because they
> are so "rude and crude". A beginner is likely to exaggerate their good
> points (small, light, and cheap), and underestimate their bad points
> (dangerous, battery killer).

I was thinking it would be neat to have all that bad boy on a wet site ,
telling a little about each one and a picture ,

plane bad boy
bad boy with manners
bad boy on the clock
bad girl ( runs on two hot legs )
bad boy with a pale of water , one I never tried a "Lee Hart original :-)
bad boy with a brain

> To be reasonable, the following parts should be added to a "bad boy", or
> a beginner will almost certainly melt cords, shock people, and ruin
> his/her batteries:

It sound like Sharon is making lots of cars and trying to keep the price
down, I know people don't want to spend a lot of money to TRY out a ev for a
while ,  If you had to choise between a conrtoller with contactors and a
nice charger or a good controller and a bad boy for the charger ,  I think I
would say get a good controller and deal with the bad boy. That being said
when I sold the ranger I put in a PFC 20 as I didn't want them to have to
deal with all the bad boy problems , even though this ment money out of my
pocket ( their paying $100 month with no money down, O you didn't see the
OBO by the ad:-) .

Jerry idea is good ( if we are going to say any bad boy is good) , it will
give isolation  ( which realy makes it not a bad boy)

That depends on what kind of batts you are using.
    If it's GC batts or other floodeds you can use 2-
36vdc ferro type GC chargers by replacing the full
wave diodes with a bridge rectifier in each which
raises the voltage to 72vdc in each as a good
regulated, low cost way.

I made one using 1 golf cart charger transformer hooking the 36v out put in
series with the 120 ac and used the 120v end of the transformer to
controller the charging rate , with a small variac this worked for 144 to
156v.  no isolation but twice that amps. Lee had a good post on using a
relay that ran on the current and would shut off the charger when the
current dropped to a set level .

Steve Clunn
With no bad boys in my house any more , thanks Rich.

>  - GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interruptor) to avoid electrocuting
>    someone who touches the batteries while charging.
>  - Fuse or circuit breaker, one size smaller than the one the outlet
>    you will be using is protected with (to prevent nuisance tripping
>    and wearing out the main breaker).
>  - Ammeter (so you can tell what the heck you are charging at).
>  - Voltmeter (so you can tell when the pack reaches full charge).
>  - Timer (to automatically shut the thing off after some reasonable
>    time even if the user forgets).
>  - Some kind of defined voltage dropping device (not extension cords)!
>    These can be physical resistors (cheapest, worst), inductors (one
>    winding of a transformer), capacitors (somewhat easier to get), or
>    a variac (most versatile; becomes a "third world charger").
>
> If your pack is 144vdc nominal, then you need a buck-boost transformer
> or variac for a "bad boy" to work.
> --
> "Never doubt that the work of a small group of thoughtful, committed
> citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever
> has!" -- Margaret Mead
> --
> Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377  leeahart_at_earthlink.net

A motorcycle light can be 35w.  The rest aren't much and/or intermittent.  A
smalll aux.  battery could be used as a buffer for the low powered DC/DC.
Lawrence Rhodes.....