  1) Re: Dump Charging "Profiles" !
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  2) Re: Battery Box Gauge
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Scooter battery balancer ( Prelim Data Conclusions)
        by "Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Motorcycle Range, speed,  Re:  Motorcycle transmissions
        by "Mark Thomasson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Rf Tags
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Glueing Permanent Magnets Back In
        by "Raymond Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Running clutchless?
        by Jon Glauser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Scooter battery balancer ( Prelim Data Conclusions)
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Dump Charging "Profiles" !
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Help! Fave brands/combin. of vac. pumps/switches?
        by Gary Graunke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Battery Box Gauge
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Dump Charging "Profiles" !
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Help! Fave brands/combin. of vac. pumps/switches?
        by Sam Thurber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Help! Fave brands/combin. of vac. pumps/switches?
        by Chris Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re:  Clutchless
        by Tim Clevenger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Glueing Permanent Magnets Back In
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Battery Strings
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Dump Charging "Profiles" !
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Dump Charging "Profiles" !
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Stm 180 nicad charging
        by billb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Glueing Permanent Magnets Back In
        by "Joe Strubhar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Stm 180 nicad charging
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Gel Cel Etiquette
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Great big switch
> Lightning Ryan wrote:
>
>> That sounds even better...
>> How cheap/simple can the charge controller be?
>> Does the PFC do this? We know it does profiles...
>>
> PFC does more than this.

> If Rich would sell just power stages with separate voltage and current
limit
> control inputs (nothing else) that would be it.

If he did, it would most likely not be any cheaper.  What you describe
above is the "hard part" of the entire charger!  And the vast majority of
the hardware cost.  I bet it represents 90% of the hardware cost, and at
least 90% of the development effort.  Thinking about it, most likely more.

> I know, but preferrably isolated.

I seem to remember when Rich started the design of his charger, he asked
the group how important different features were.  I believe the conclusion
was that most people were not willing to pay the cost (in terms of
dollars, size, and weight) for an isolated charger.  I would prefer it
too, but I don't think I'd be willing to pay 25% more for it (in terms of
$s, weight and volume).  10%, yes, 20%, I'd have to think about it.

Eric Poulsen wrote:
> Did the lids have an overlap lid, like a shoebox?

Yes; exactly. The bottom 5-sided box is about 24" x 24" x 12". The cover
fit over it, and has a 1" lip on the 4 sides.

> Was there a gasket?

No, but it is a snug fit.

> Did you use those snap-down buckles (I dunno what they're called) to
> hold the tops on?

Yes. The steel rack has 4 long threaded rods in the corners of the box.
The straps go across the top of the box, and are bolted down via these
steel rods. These both hold the cover on and keep the box in the rack.

> How did you handle weatherproofing where the cables entered/exited?

The cables enter the box thru slots in the rear upper edge (about the at
the center of the windshield). They are a snug fit, but not sealed or
waterproofed in any way. The location makes extremely likely that
anything could ever splash in. The gap is too small for anything bigger
than a bug to crawl in.
has!" -- Margaret Mead
--
Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377  leeahart_at_earthlink.net

From: "Lee Hart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Ok; then their voltage is not yet stable; it was still changing. This
> means that any predictions you make about their state of charge based on
> voltage are not particularly accurate.

After several days of sitting, the combined pack voltage was 25.99 volts.
Compared to the 2nd table you provided, that would indicate a mere sckosh of
overcharge. Or perhaps my DVM is off by .01 volts, which may not be an
unrealistic possibility, given that it's a 12 year old meter costing $40.00
at Radio Shack.

> > What is the rule on what voltage equates to 25% charged and does
> > it vary according to size or difference between SLA AGM's and
> > flooded Pba's?
> For sealed lead-acids, the numbers are a bit higher. Again, the voltage
> will be more for brand new cells, lower for old ones.
>
>     100% SOC    2.15v/cell
>      75% SOC    2.09v/cell
>      50% SOC    2.04v/cell
>      25% SOC    1.99v/cell
>       0% SOC    1.93v/cell
>
> > I have figured 11 volts to be fully discharged on my batteries on
> > the bike and the scooter both.
>
> The generally accepted voltage UNDER LOAD for a dead battery is
> 1.75v/cell (10.5v for a 12v battery). But 11v with NO load is very, very
> dead; down into the region where you are likely to reverse cells and
> permanently damage the battery.

I am going to add a digital voltmeter to the scooter so I can keep an eye on
the loaded voltage. I've never seen the NO LOAD voltage below 12 volts on
the scooter pack, so I will assume that I've not damaged the batteries yet.

> Most consumer-grade chargers provide essentially worthless indicators of
> the battery's actual state of charge.

I agree. I also have two identical chargers, same company, and they seem to
vary by 0.2 volts or more from each other.

> I think your best bet is to measure what each of your chargers actually
> does. Then, decide what the "full" point really is for each. When you
> use that charger, stop at this full point, regardless of what the
> charger's indicators may say.>

For a given battery that has cyclic and stand-by voltages specified, that
should be relatively easy. I will compare that to the SOC tables to ensure
that they agree more or less. For a battery, like my scooter pack, there is
no specifications on the battery. I think it may be better to slightly
undercharge, in other words, to go with a lower decided ~full point~ to
avoid excess charging and the damage of grid corrosion. Is that a good plan
in your opinion?

I'll pass the other info onto others who seem to be as puzzled, misled and
charge challenged as I am. Thanks for the extensive dissertation on battery
charging Lee. I think it's likely one of the most critical factors in our
realm of hobbying and energy independance.

BTW, do you know where a person might get an attractive set of analog meters
with chrome housings? I would expect that someone sells voltmeters that go
to 30 volts, paired with 60 Amp ammeters, but have turned up nothing in my
seasrching over the past weeks. My next best plan is to use an automotive
grade ammeter and a totally different voltmeter caliberated to 50 volts FS.
I recently saw a photo of one of Deafscooters creations and it appeared that
he had such a gauge duo and it gave a nice finished appearance. Trying to
avoid the science project look these days. ;-))

Regards,

Rick

> > I'd love to see the same tests done by other people
> > on other bikes.
> >
> > Anyone with a running electric motorcycle have any
> > hard power vs. speed
> > measurements?
> >
> > Mike Shipway

Here's some data from my machine.  http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/518.html
Mark T.

mph   watts
17      690
33      2076
44      4495
55      8424

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Lee is absolutly correct, distance would not be desired. As I think about it rfid tags would only be of use in an inductive paddle , 1" (range are also avail) but probably wouldn't work cause of the interferance, bad idea.

I seen someone was looking for an epoxy to do glue permanent magnets back
into the barrel. All I can say is good freaking luck. My self and over 50
other rebuild shops have tried this, and with epoxys design for this vary
task. I do not know of one person that has yet to be successful.
I think, do not know for sure, that when the motors were originally
constructed, the magnets were not charged until after they were installed.
But for whatever reason, we have never seen anything work at reinstalling
them. Thousands of PMGR starter barrels are thrown each day because there is
no way of fixing/repairing/rebuilding them.
What we do with the motors that are too expensive to throw away, is simply
return them to the original manufacturer for the repair. If they say they
won't, contact me and I will try and find a large enough shop that can make
the repair. I.e. install a new magnet and charge it.
Raymond

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- The BSUEV has a clutch , but I drive it without using it. It just takes an extra second or two to get the gears syncronized. It's nice to have a manual shift without having to be a master clutcher!

-Jon Glauser
jon.silvercheetah.net/bsuev/index.asp

Rick wrote:
> After several days of sitting, the combined pack voltage was 25.99
> volts. Compared to the 2nd table you provided, that would indicate
> a mere sckosh of overcharge.

Good. Sounds like you're getting it sorted out.

> For a battery, like my scooter pack, there is no specifications on
> the battery.

That's right. Without information to the contrary from the manufacturer,
you just use the generic voltages I gave for the type battery it is.

> I think it may be better to slightly undercharge, in other words,
> to go with a lower decided ~full point~ to avoid excess charging
> and the damage of grid corrosion. Is that a good plan in your
> opinion?

Yes. In general, undercharging will do less damage to sealed lead-acids
than overcharging. You can do a slight overcharge once in a while, as
needed, to keep the cells balanced.

> BTW, do you know where a person might get an attractive set of
> analog meters with chrome housings?

"Attractive" is a judgement call. I'd haunt the surplus dealers until
you find something that looks good to you. Many analog meters can be
disassembled and have a new face put in. You might look for something
like this. And, the same basic meter movement (like 0-1 ma) can be used
for both voltmeters (with an appropriate series resistor) and ammeters
(with an appropriate shunt).
has!" -- Margaret Mead
--
Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377  leeahart_at_earthlink.net

From:  Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date:  Sat Oct 30, 2004  3:44 am
Subject:  Re: Help! Fave brands/combin. of vac. pumps/switches?

Yahoo! Personals        Yahoo! Personals

I'm a:
Seeking a:
Age:
City or ZIP:
Just get a BRUSA pump ($309 as of today) which includes contactless
switch too. Light, quiet and reliable; you could of gotten it in a first
place...

Yes, I am satisfied about noise level. I can only hear it when not in
motion.
Yes, I' am satisfied with amount of actuations - one for every two
depressions (no tank) but I don't really know since can't heat it anyway.
Thus don't really care.
Yes, you might think I'm biased, but I'm replying because it is indeed
good product and I'm happy customer myself, not because I sell it.
Well, all I can suggest is just ask others on the list who use it.

Victor

Bob Bath wrote:

>You may remember on my last post that I had a pump
>turning on every brake depression. I have a Thomas,
>which is noisy, and now have found out that the switch
>which came with it, cuts in at 20. That gives me just
>2" Hg of wiggle room between actuations. No wonder!
>
>So I swapped out the one for one from EV parts. No
>matter how I seem to set it, it has the same issues.
>Now to top it off, since I've added a relay, I get
>chattering (a half-cycle on the pump, then it switches
>off, then on for a half-cycle in 10 seconds or so).
>
>The Rabbit used another manufacturer. I swear, I
>must've gotten 4 actuations or so.
>
>The point is, I put $300 or so in for the Thomas
>setup, $25 in for a different switch. $300 in for
>what I thought might be a faulty brake booster. Now
>I'm about to spend $210 for a new vac. pump, and $95
>for a square D switch.
>
>What are you using. Answer please only if satisfied
>with noise levels, and # of actuations.
>Thanks _so_ much! I _REALLY_ want to get this rig
>back on the freakin' ROAD!!!
>Sign me,
>Grinless in So. OR.

Hello Don,

Yes, all the indicators and switches work and control different functions.
Every circuit in the EV is kept seperated by switch control, which is also
fuse seperated with Buss Limitron fuses design for that interupting would be
consider as branch circuits.

Feeder circuits than come from a build in circuit breaker panel which are
pop in circuit breakers into a standard fuse clip.

There are backup  circuits and switches for each system, that may go into
trouble.  There are circuit indicators that show when the circuit is
activated and blown fuse indicators.

The indicators on the center of the dash plates are:

E-meter
Vacuum Ind. at the vacuum pump
Vacuum Ind. after the vacuum check values
Controller Heat Sink temperture.
Controller coolent temperture.
Heating water temperture
Inverter-alternator voltage
Inverter-alternator ampere
12 volt charge voltage
12 volt charge ampere
DC-AC Invertor input DC voltage
DC-AC Invertor output AC voltage
Main battery volt meter
Main battery amp meter
Motor Amp meter
Elasp time clock for motor on time
Elasp time clock for EV drive time

Tachometer
Odometer

Control switches on dash are:

Idle control (the rotating alternator-inverter unit
              needs to be at 600 RPM for generation
Inverter Control
DC power to Inverter
Inverter - Commercial power selector switch
           (can preheat heaters with commercial pw)
Auto - Manual heating control
1000 watt hot water heating control
840 watt passenger side heating control
620 watt driver side heating control

The switches on the console are for each seperated electrical circuits in
the EV, unlike auto companys the combine them all together into selector
switches.

These includes:

Heating and A/C Fan control power
High speed fan
Med  speed fan
Low  speed fan
A/C  power
Heating floor duct power
Heating defroster duct power
Heat adjustments
Cooling adjustments
Bi-level control

Windsheld wiper high
Windsheld wiper med
Windsheld wiper low
Windsheld washer

On the lower console are switches for:

Alarm system panel
Parking lights
Head lights
Interial lights
Backup lights
Indicator lights
Door Ajar Ind.
Map light
Radar
Danger - warning indicator
Start switch power
Start switch power back up (by pass)
Ignition switch power
Ignition switch power back up (by pass)
Controller power (12 volt)
Controller power (12 volt) back up
Controller cooling Fan
Motor cooling Fan
Radiator cooling fan for water cool controller
Vacuum control
Vacuum control backup
Alarm power
Tape Recorder Power
Rear Hatch Latch
Remote Control doors and hatch control
Window control power
Sound system power
Remote Sound system controller

Indicator system:

All circuits that are activated light up a panel indicator.  Circuit that
are not working or fuse blowns also indicates in the fuse blown indicators
and on the control switches.

Fuse and protections system.

Each single seperated circuits that branch of a main feeder is fused with a
Buss Limitron fuse that is design for that type of circuit.  Each feeder
circuit is protected with plug in circuit breakers that clip into standard
fuse holders.

The fuse panels are than protected by bolt in main limitron fuse from its
power source.

There is also a seperated control and fuse system that is in the back of the
EV next to the battery charger compartment, which can control many of the
functions in the EV with commercial power while the main power plug is in.

There is a large cable duct that runs inside the EV from the rear controls
to the dash and to the motor bay.

Each power and control circuits in its own separate flexible conduit with
shielding for control wire.

The wires do not go directly to a component. They first go to a large
industrial type set screw terminal block sections that can be made up from
18 gage to 4/0 wire size in any length you want.

>From these terminal blocks, the take off are than to each componets.

Some of the components have Power Anderson gang plugs on them, so I can
remove anyone of the components or switch console plates by just unpluging
it.

The dash plate on either side of the steering wheel can be high down, so you
don't have to craw under the dash.  All dash and circuit components are wire
with wire type MTW mutistrand 600 volt rated wire, that is design for
chassic and panel work.

Should not used thwn or thnn type that is normally using for pulling into
metal conduit.  This has a thin nylon coating design for pulling, but not
for laying over panels. The MTW type have a thicker jacket and the wire is
more flexible.

In driving this EV since I modified in 1985, I had only one fuse blown, a
3.5 amp controller fuse, which I was be able to bypass while I was driving
the EV.