  1) Re: After a simple voltmeter circuit using LEDs
        by Chris Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: After a simple voltmeter circuit using LEDs
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re:  After a simple voltmeter circuit using LEDs
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) 200sx guess
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: 200sx 0-60 estimates - a friendly little contest]
        by "John Westlund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re:  After a simple voltmeter circuit using LEDs
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) article: Panasonic car runs on two AA batteries
        by Paul Wujek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: After a simple voltmeter circuit using LEDs
        by Ken Lange <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Soneil charger information, was Re: Modular Charger
        by "David (Battery Boy) Hawkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: After a simple voltmeter circuit using LEDs
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: 200sx 0-60: more specs
        by Ryan Bohm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) AC-ing in the Snow; Battery Questions
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 13) RE: After a simple voltmeter circuit using LEDs
        by "Mark Fowler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Modular Charger
        by "MYLES ANTHONY TWETE" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: AC-ing in the Snow; Battery Questions
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: After a simple voltmeter circuit using LEDs
        by Aaron NMLUG-EV <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: After a simple voltmeter circuit using LEDs
        by Chris Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: After a simple voltmeter circuit using LEDs
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Hybrid electric vehicle offers eco-friendly commuting
        by Lee Dekker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Hybrid electric vehicle offers eco-friendly commuting
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Hybrid electric vehicle offers eco-friendly commuting
        by Gordon Niessen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: After a simple voltmeter circuit using LEDs
        by Chris Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Modular Charger
        by "John Bryan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: fuel gauge and clutchless shifting
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) charge algorithm question (related to modular chargers)
        by "Markus L" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) RE: Modular Charger
        by "Markus L" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- I think this is a *GREAT* idea, since the important thing is not necessarially the battery voltage, but the relationship of the battery voltage to other batteries.

Problem is one really needs sharp cut-offs when things go "bad". Where bad is less than 10.66 volts per battery under any load and bad is above 15.0 volts (and 15.6 volts) per battery under any charge load.

Thus the issue with opto-isolators: Since 50 of them would never work in perfect sync; the relationship of voltages is lost.

I will say that my monitor system on the Elec-Trak (with the 3 dual color LEDs) is unbelievable. I can now run the batteries out of balance and *know* when this spells trouble on any one battery. When a light comes on alone I know I'm out of balance and I reduce power (turning off the light) and head for home. When charging, if one light doesn't come on and the other two are turning yellow I know to stop charging and manually charge up the laggard.

I can't wait till spring to put this system on my 50 batteries in the Prizm. Current isolation under test is a light pipe of 50 fibers going from the outside firewall to the interior. Should be interesting, since the eye can pick out one red light in a cluster of 50 very very quickly.

Chris

Dave Cover wrote:
--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I'm in the build and torture phase at the moment, so the specifics are subject
to change if
something goes poof in the torture test.<grin>

I'll post a link to the circuits to all this stuff when I get it finalized.

This sounds like an excellent project. I think it would be pretty cool to have
a grid of LEds on
the dash showing you real time what your pack is doing. If it gets too bright
you could semi-hide
it behind a smoke glass window to subdue it a little. Just enough to keey an
eye on the pack, but
not enough to blind you at night. And if you have a stinker in the pack, it
will stand out.

I'd love to do the same but my electronics abilities don't go much farther than
wiring and
soldering what someone else has figured out for me. If you post more info about
this project could
you also include details of how you incorporate the opto isolators and details
like that?

Thanks

Dave Cover

How big is the light pipe?

Also, want to share your circuit?  This sounds like fun and easy to build.

Don

Victoria, BC, Canada

See the New Beetle EV Conversion Web Site at
www.cameronsoftware.com/ev/

Dave Cover wrote:
> --- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>>I'm in the build and torture phase at the moment, so the specifics are
>>subject to change if something goes poof in the torture test.<grin>
>>
>>I'll post a link to the circuits to all this stuff when I get it
finalized.

> This sounds like an excellent project. I think it would be pretty cool
> to have a grid of LEds on the dash showing you real time what your
> pack is doing. If it gets too bright you could semi-hide it behind a
> smoke glass window to subdue it a little. Just enough to keey an eye on
the pack, but not enough to blind you at night. And if you have a stinker in
the pack, it will stand out.

> I'd love to do the same but my electronics abilities don't go much
> farther than wiring and soldering what someone else has figured out
> for me. If you post more info about this project could you also include
details of how you incorporate the opto isolators and details like that?

> Thanks
>
> Dave Cover

I connected 6 voltmeters (that I bought at Harbor
Freight for $25 each on sale) to each battery tray in
the TEVan.  If there is a problem I know which tray to
drop, however I don't know which battery is a problem
until I check them once the tray is dropped.
Obviously this doesn't work at night with an LCD
display unless you have a light shining on the meters.
The $25 meters have been very reliable, I have one
that I've used for 1.5 years.  They are also pretty
accurate for this application (I check them against my
Fluke 87).
The only drawback is the space for 6 meters the same
size as a Fluke 87.
Rod

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Without any math I'll say 15.9.
I guess 11.5 seconds 0-60, if you do your shifting right.

You'll probably want to upgrade later if you happen to want
more range. Imagine having 2 strings of 156V from the
Orbitals. That would get you about 20-25 miles to 80% DoD.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- At 06:20 PM 24/11/04 +0000, "Mad" Mike Shipway wrote:
I'm in the build and torture phase at the moment, so the specifics are subject to change if something goes poof in the torture test.<grin>

I'll post a link to the circuits to all this stuff when I get it finalized.

Hi Mike, Lee and all.

I am in the process of doing something similar using LM3914 ICs, but I am putting one per battery, at the batteries, coming off using optocouplers (20 batteries x 10 = 200, plus enable back the other way and other stuff - got 'em cheap, surplus), then scanning the outputs of those optos at a fairly slow speed onto a buss. At the end of the buss (behind the instrument cluster) a simple load-and-hold to drive the leds in the instrument cluster. Set up in dot-mode, a weak battery should be immediately obvious.

And everything to do with this system is only referenced to the 12V of the vehicle.

10 Leds for the outputs of the voltmeters, 2 per Rudman reg for the low battery indication and regulating, then another group to indicate the charging status. maybe a 2-second update time, but should be fine. Still gotta build a bunch of bits yet.

How does this compare with other peoples schemes?

James Massey
Launceston, Tasmania, Australia.
'78 Daihatsu 1300kg truck under conversion.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Yes, it's a rather wild claim, and really the car doesn't get very far (1.23km), but you still might find this interesting, link:

   http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19872

--
Paul Wujek

Hi Mike,

I built a system like you described and have used it for over 4 years. It is great and well worth having.

I also used the LM3914, optoisolators with high value resistors (30 kohm) in series with the diodes. I made a matrix using surface mount LEDs, with the top seven for each battery being green, the next 2 being yellow, and the last row bright red. You can set up the circuit so that any voltage below, say, 10.5 volts keeps the red led on.

I also switch ranges between charge and discharge, and it's useful to keep resolution.

I used a clever analog optoisolator circuit I saw in EDN magazine which uses two isolators to balance out the temperature effects. It works quite well.

My display of LEDs is mounted where a rectangular voltmeter was meant to be in an instrument option for the Fiero. There is a smoke/bronze piece of plastic in front that I got a TAP Plastics. I found that using bar mode can cause a lot of heat dissipation which would be tough for the LM3914s. I ended up always using dot mode and really love the display. This analog display gives real time indications as you're driving, and you quickly spot a bright red led that lights out of the corner of your eye.

As I mentioned in a post some time ago, the first thing I discovered with the display was that the crimped cables were starting to pick up resistance. After soldering all of the connectors, the display showed that there was not excessive voltage drop with current draw (and this has remained good).

This is part of the plan for the modular charger system I'm building. The proto is there; I'm now starting the mass production.

Best regards,
Ken Lange
1988 Electric Fiero

>Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 08:25:50 -0800
>From: Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>I sent an email to them asking about their reliability testing
>methodology.  If I don't get a response in a week or so, I'll call them.

Eric and All,
Looking back at my notes, I talked to an enganeer at Soneil named Sach Khan
around August of 2001 with some EV specific questions. He faxed me 15 pages
of specifications on the 1205SR and 1212SR chargers. US phone number in
Canada is (905)565-0360. Reading back through old e-mail communications,
the distributor I talked to at the time mentioned that this engineer worked
for Cliplight, which built the Zap chargers that John Bryan is using in his
Ghia. Also, from looking at my old e-mail, Chuck Hendrick was using the
1212SR model and his pack prematurely died. As I recall, he wasn't doing an
occasional equalize (and neither was I), and he wasn't humping 20-30 amps
in either with any kind of bulk charger, which I'm doing with the
FrankenLesters. The AGM's seem to like high currents once in awhile, and
John Bryan can chime in on waking up YT's with a 100 amp charger! From
talking to John Olsen, the former electrochemist with Optima, Bill Dube'
has posted about YT's needing the one amp over-charge with unlimited
voltage, "and" venting occasionally, or they will loose capacity. Bill
mentioned that the length of the over-charge is based on D(epth) O(f)
D(ischarge). Bill also said that if you do the over-charge too often,
they'll dry out before end-of-life. I think this is why the Zivan YT
algorithm was murdering YT's, along with the fact that each battery needed
Rudman type regulators (or communication from each battery to a PFCxx
charger would be nice!).

I only have a couple of problems with the Soneil chargers. When they've
finished the bulk mode, and have pulsed for awhile, they'll pop my GFCI
outlet occasionally. When this first happened, I started switching off
banks of them looking for a bad one, but realized that it has to do with
using all 16 of them at once. The other problem, which Chuck can chime in
on, is they get really hot during bulk mode, so plan on some sort of
cooling, and don't stack them on top of each other.

They were designed for on-board wheel chair use, so they're built rugged.
When I was trying to decide on modular chargers, I had asked Optima about
the Soneil charger, and the tech support person said they knew of them and
approved there use on YT's. I believe others on the list have used these on
AGM scooter batteries, so maybe they'll chime in too.

Hope this helps,
Dave (B.B.) Hawkins
Member of the Denver Electric Vehicle Council:
http://www.devc.org/
Card carrying member and former racer with The National Electric Drag
Racing Association:
http://www.nedra.com/
Lyons, CO
1979 Mazda RX-7 EV (192V of YT's for the teenagers)
1989 Chevy S10 Ext. Cab (144V of floodies, for Ma and Pa only!)

I vaguely recall the circuit. It had a problem with the LED brightness
changing with voltage. There was a solution for the brightness issue but
that part gets fuzzy.

The simple solution was to put the LEDs in series and put various values of
resistors in parallel with the LEDs. As the voltage came up, each resistor
dropped more voltage and allowed the LED in parallel with the resistor to
come on when the voltage got high enough to conduct and illuminate. The
problem with this approach is that the LED brightness varies as the voltage
changes. To get away from this problem, the circuit requires a current
regulator for each LED. There was a fairly simple circuit that would do
this, but I can't recall it enough of it to write it down.

Joe Smalley
Rural Kitsap County WA
Fiesta 48 volts
NEDRA 48 volt street conversion record holder