  1) Re: Make your own fuse.
  2) hello, is this thing on?
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) kWh/mile challenge
        by "Cliff Rassweiler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Make your own fuse.
        by "Mark Thomasson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: hubbell safety interlock plug
        by "Chris Tromley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: kWh/mile challenge
        by "Richard Furniss" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Vicor 400W Ac-Dc 12V on Ebay
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) DC clamp meter recomendation
        by "Raymond Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Bad gear ratio on Stock Lectra.
        by "Mark Thomasson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Revitalizing EV batts. and regulators
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: kWh/mile challenge
        by "Patrick Maston" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Well-to-wheel efficiency of BEVs
        by Nick Austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Motor Amps, Battery Amps ?
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: other options,  Re: Sealed PbA battery Options
        by Paul G <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Spare Tires
        by Paul G <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: Motor Amps, Battery Amps ?
        by Paul G <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: kWh/mile challenge
        by Paul G <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: kWh/mile challenge
        by Paul G <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: kWh/mile challenge
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Curtis and Switching Voltages
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: kWh/mile challenge
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: kWh/mile challenge
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re:  Well-to-wheel efficiency of BEVs
        by "Tim Humphrey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) RE: Well-to-wheel efficiency of BEVs
        by "Markus L" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) SAFT Nicads (aircraft starting)
        by "Tim Humphrey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) just looking for opinions
        by brian baumel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Lectra Fuse, was: Re: Make your own fuse.
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: Motor Amps, Battery Amps ?
        by Nick Viera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Re: hello, is this thing on?
        by "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 30) RE: Li-Ion Batteries
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 31) Re: Bad gear ratio on Stock Lectra.
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 32) Re: SAFT Nicads (aircraft starting)
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 33) Re: Well-to-wheel efficiency of BEVs
        by Ken Trough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- 2 3/8" or 60mm fuse length this is center bolt to center bolt. The fuse is flat with open ends (one at a 90° angle for insertion) and fits under the top of the Lectra frame.
----- Original Message ----- From: "James Massey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: "Lawrence Rhodes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> After reading James response it reminded me why we have fuses.  If your
> controller jams on high even 2 seconds would feel like an eternity.  What
> ratio for catastrophic failure and quick release would be safest?

Lawrence,  Does your EM have an easily accessible emergency disconnect
switch?  Waiting for a fuse to blow in this situation could be disastrous.
You could ram the car in front of you or chug out into a busy intersection.
If anyone is interested, I tied a knife switch into the clutch cable on my
EM for emergency disconnection.   I am direct drive, no clutch or gear box,
so the old clutch cable and lever were available.  My reflex in an emergency
stop situation is to grab the clutch lever along with the brakes, so even if
I panic, I will do the right thing.  I have never used it under load, so it
may only be good for one operation at full load.  Also, it never gets warm
in operation, so I know it's not adding much resistive loss to the circuit.

http://www.geocities.com/oaksofclearcreek/emergency_disconnect.htm
(I'm working on a shoe string budget, so construction is pretty rough)

Mark T.

Roger wrote:

> Hi folks,
> I have a Ford Courier Pickup truck converted to full electric by Jet
> Industries
> in 1981 (or soon thereafter)
>
> The charging receptacle where I plug in a 110 plug has gone
> bad (the power  pin has worn loose and the connection is
> intermittent; way bad) I could just replace it with a modern
> 3 pin twist-lock plug & receptacle
> except
> for the safety interlock.  What might normally be a center
> ground pin has  instead been replaced with a plug-button
> safety switch.  When the plug
> is inserted,
>  the center pin is pressed in and allows charging, but not motion.  I
> believe it
> is a disconnect for the main contactor.
>
> Any suggestions where to find this?  I tried the hubbell site
> and found
> nothing
> with a center safety button.

Hi Roger,

I'm no expert on receptacles.  It sounds like this might be something Jet
cobbled together.  I don't think the safety button could have been a ground,
since a receptacle only has one.  And you still have a ground pin.  (You do,
don't you?  Very Dangerous if you don't.)

There is also a good reason *not* to use a twist-lock setup.  If your car is
hit while charging or someone tries to tow it without noticing it's plugged
in, you can leave live wires exposed.  A non-twist-lock will simply slip
out.

If it was me, I'd replace your parts with standard three prong connectors.
Connect a little power supply (can even be a wall wart) to the onboard
charger port with a 12V output.  When the charger gets power, the little
supply will drop out a NC relay to your main contactor coil.  If you have a
versatile charger like a PFC, you can use a universal input power supply
like those used on laptops.

Not only does this cover your needs, it should be pretty low cost.

Lee Hart
> On your efficiency race, I think you are falling into the trap of making
> it too complicated. I would suggest going the opposite way; ENCOURAGE
> creative and outside-the-box solutions!

Now that is what I'm talking about, I want it to be very easy and fun. I
want club members to see that when they spend more money on T-145 batteries
to get better range and then put the cheapest tires they can find on there
car that there moving in the wrong direction. If we don't know what our
WH/mile is now we won't know if we made the car better or worse when we
change something.

I was hoping that during the clubs monthly meeting that we could take
anybody's "street legal" EV for a ride and get a WH/mile reading, and then
we would have a month to change something like alignment, tires or brakes.

What we have to work with so far is a Fluke 98 DSO with recorder, min, max
and average readings but it will not do min, max, average in the dual scope
mode, and I have a e-meter that is not in a car at this time.

The cheap analog data acquisition module sounds like what we need, I will
check in to that. Is the GPS a overkill with what I described above on how
we will do the testing.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Anyone know if the Vicor "FlatPac" series can be powered from DC? I know internally they're DC-DC, but they have a "BUS OK" signal, which makes me wonder if that is the DC input bus, and if it's merely rectified / filtered AC, or if there's some other circuitry that couldn't hanlde DC.

Anyone? (See link)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36323&item=3857113237&rd=1
We carry the MTP and Prove lines. Pretty good clamps from what we have seen
so far. A 1 to 1000amp AC/DC clamp that plugs into your multimeter is
$125Canadain. A Prova CM-05 which will do milliamps with conversion is
$140.00Canadian.
Clamps with the meters already built into them starter with the TES Model
3082, a true RMS meter with a 400 and 600amp DC scale, they are
$205Canadain. You can check their website at www.mtpinst.com . Hope this
helps.

From: "Lawrence Rhodes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> I don't want to burn up the motor by lugging it.
> The bike now weighs around 700 pounds with a 250 pound rider.

Motor should be OK as long as you don't exceed the continuous current rating
or operate at very low RPM for an extended period of time.  Motor heating is
caused mostly by current (I^2R losses).  Cooling is by the fan on the shaft
rotating fast enough to move some air through the motor.  Touch the brush
end of the motor to see how hot is gets after a hill climb.  If you can
leave your finger on for a couple of seconds, the motor is probably OK.  My
bike weighs about 750 pounds with two riders.  I have no hills to climb in
my area,  but I suspect my 6.7 inch ADC would overheat on an extended run up
even a slight incline with two riders.  A gear box would come in very handy
is this situation.  Mark T.

Howdy fellow Honda driver!
   Although you did your conversion in 98, didn't Del
Sols only go through 95 or so?  If so, I'd like to
find out who did your adapter plate.  Mine is a bit
noisy, as if it is off-center by about 1/64".
Arcing reduces brush life.  I've been told that mine
may go 80-100K at the voltage (144) that I'm using.
We'll see.  If you pull the brush band off of the
motor, there is a yellow clip that you can gently bend
back behind a retainer bar.  Then you can pull the
brush out for examination and/or replacement.  You
didn't list how many miles you've got under your belt.
Wish I could help on the Ah question, but I don't know
the capacity of Optima.
TTYL,
--- strowbridge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello all:
>
> It has been quite a while since I've written to the
> list and I've
> "lurked" only sporadically but in the past I have
> found the folks here
> to be an amazing resource.  Relying heavily on the
> experience of the
> people here, I converted a Honda Del Sol in '98 and
> the time has again
> come for me to throw out a few questions.
>
> Work required me  to bounce around the world for
> about a year and a
> half and in that time, the car sat in the garage,
> basically ignored.
> I've just finished putting in a fresh set of
> batteries (24 optima
> yellowtops) and it seems that I"ve got a bad BattPro
> equalizer.  It
> releases a bit of magic smoke whenever connected to
> a battery.  So, a
> few questions:
>
> 1) Is there any place that sells these?  I see the
> Rudman regs and they
> look great but, for consistency and space concerns,
> I'd be interested
> in just replacing the one BattPro.  (Anybody have
> any clue about what
> would cause one of these to just "go bad")
>
> 2) In resetting my E-meter, I've forgotten how to
> calculate the
> Amp-hour capacity for this kind of application (144
> VDC battery pack
> with 12 buddied pairs of Optima yellow-tops).
> Anybody know what the
> Amp-hour capacity would be or how to calculate this
> kind of
> parallel/serial arrangement?
>
> 3) How often should the brushes on a 9" Advanced DC
> motor be changed?
>
> I, as always, appreciate any help anyone can offer.
>

> Thanks,
> Scott Trowbridge

=====
'92 Honda Civic sedan, 144V
                                   ____
                     __/__|__\ __
           =D-------/   -  -     \
                     'O'-----'O'-'
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel?
Are you saving any gas for your kids?

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

Richard,

Based on my experiences autocrossing and go-kart racing, I suggest that
you use a format in which all the contestants drive at the same time.
In autocrossing the drivers go one at a time while the others watch.
This results in a very poor seat-time-to-overall-time-spent ratio.  I
recall spending 3 hours one Saturday for 90 seconds of driving time.
This causes the participants to lose interest (at least I did) and move
on to other activities.  In go-kart racing we all ran the race in our
class at the same time for a much longer duration - the
seat-time-to-overall-time-spent ratio was much better than autocrossing
and I was much more likely to return because I felt my time was better
utilized.

Since you are trying to determine relative efficiency of the cars, I
suggest that all contestants drive the same preset route at the same
time - this would help to negate the effects of wind and traffic if the
drivers had gone at different times, and terrain if they were allowed to
use different routes.  It would require enough monitoring systems to
cover all the cars, though - I don't know if this would be feasible or
not.  How about starting at the club meeting place, driving the preset
route which ends at the club meeting place, then measuring the energy
consumption, reporting on the results, and handing over the "trophy"
right there before everyone leaves?  Next month or quarter do it again.
Instant feedback on any improvements made since last time.  It could
take as little as 20-30 minutes each time and everyone would be free to
go on their way to other activities.

Patrick Maston
1981 Jet Electrica

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 12/5/04 8:07:47 AM >>>
LOL, maybe I will use that tip to hold the throphy for awhile;-)  but
seriously we do have a lot of very very clever club members after all
they
do drive EV's, but between jobs, honeydews, finding stinkers and
decorating
our cars for Christmas I don't think anyone has time for cheating, were
just
not that competitive.

The idea here is that during our monthly EV meeting we can connect
something
(meter) and the car can go on a quick test drive, it has to be very
easy and
fun.

David Dymaxion wrote,
> Don't forget tires naturally warm and pressure goes up as you drive.
> A clever competitor could pack his tires in ice, put some water in
> the tires, pass an initial check, and have the pressure "naturally"
> increase as the car was driven. A competitor with an electrified
> Humvee could use the while-driving tire pumps. :)
>
> Maybe I missed a post, is this a safety worry? Since any competitor
> can easily pump up the tires, I wouldn't see it as an unfair
> advantage, why even worry about tire pressure?

Hello,

I visited the California Fuel Cell Partnership the other day.

While I was there, I asked about the Well-to-wheel efficiency of BEVs vs FCEVs.
In response they gave me a handout from Hyundai showing A FCEV above BEVs in
terms of efficiency.

Is this correct? I always thought it was the other way around.

I scanned the hand out, and made it available here:
http://smartaustin.com.nyud.net:8090/~nick/hyundai_fcv_facts.jpeg

Can somebody take a look this and see if you can find the flaw in there logic
(or mine) :)

Thanks!
* LP8.2: HTML/Attachments detected, removed from message  *

yer right, I've been doing to long that I just read it that way, and forget
it.

But the concept is a Shunt and a meter, and forget those multi hundred buck
clamp ons.

From: "Mark Thomasson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Bad gear ratio on Stock Lectra.
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 09:39:55 -0600

From: "Lawrence Rhodes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> I don't want to burn up the motor by lugging it.
> The bike now weighs around 700 pounds with a 250 pound rider.

Motor should be OK as long as you don't exceed the continuous current rating
or operate at very low RPM for an extended period of time. Motor heating is
caused mostly by current (I^2R losses). Cooling is by the fan on the shaft
rotating fast enough to move some air through the motor. Touch the brush
end of the motor to see how hot is gets after a hill climb. If you can
leave your finger on for a couple of seconds, the motor is probably OK. My
bike weighs about 750 pounds with two riders. I have no hills to climb in
my area, but I suspect my 6.7 inch ADC would overheat on an extended run up
even a slight incline with two riders. A gear box would come in very handy
is this situation. Mark T.

Wow! short notice!
I live close enough (Baltimore, MD-150 miles) that I could help facilitating
this if someone on the list makes the purchase.  I couldn't store 6 pallets of
batteries, but I'd be interested in buying some if anyone gets the lot.

How did you find this, I've had no luck at all trying to navigate the gov't
surplus web sites?

Mike Shipway

I'm on the road and don't have the ability to check the handout, but I've seen many like it. If it came from Hyundai, I expect it is essentially marketing material and not hard science.

Typically, these "studies" are only considering a very limited scope, or perhaps comparing the best case FCEV against the worst case BEV or something.

Bottom line is you have to evaluate the motives behind the people presenting the information. Is it a pure research source? If so, who is funding the study? Is is a political advocacy organization? Then what are they advocating (FCEVs)? Is it a manufacturer? Then what are they selling? Odds are it is not a BEV. 8^)

Remember that Ford claimed their ULEV rated gasser car was "cleaner" than a BEV and had facts and figures to back it up (based on a very narrow criteria). The fact that this is ovbiously an untrue claim (when all the factors are considered) was beside the point.

A lot of these "studies" are little more than skewed marketing materials produced by a manufacturer and repeated as "fact" by advocacy, industry, or political organizations.

Keep your grain of salt handy. 8^)

-Ken Trough
Admin - V is for Voltage Megasite
http://visforvoltage.com