  1) Fwd: [eaaev] EAA Funds CalCars' PRIUS+ Plug-in Hybrid
        by Sherry Boschert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) hydrogen vs. solar
        by Sherry Boschert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Just saying....
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Just saying....
        by "John Westlund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) EV Taxes
        by "goodsharonwbird" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) An Invitation to: The Nets Best Alternative Fuel Vehicle Forums!
        by justin vandeusen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Just saying....
        by Chris Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: An Invitation to: The Nets Best Alternative Fuel Vehicle Forums!
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Just saying....and winter driving
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Just saying....
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: The 200sx is alive!!
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Just saying....
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 13) Re: Was: 200sx GVWR, now CivicwithACord GVWR
        by "M.G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Just saying....
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Heater/defroster ideas?
        by "M.G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) I need Nicad batteries
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: I need Nicad batteries
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Heater/defroster ideas?
        by Mike Chancey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: An Invitation to: The Nets Best Alternative Fuel Vehicle Forums!
        by Nick Austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Hooray for the EAA for backing the CalCars Initiative!

From: "M.G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Date: Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:58 pm Subject: Re: GVWR, was: The 200sx is alive!!

One of the factors in the gvwr is the size of the
brakes. Remember this
vehicle has to STOP !
Mike G.

protection around http://mail.yahoo.com

=====
'92 Honda Civic sedan, 144V ____ __/__|__\ __ =D-------/ - - \
'O'-----'O'-'
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel? Are you saving any gas for your kids?

--- Begin Message --- They love it. NiCad forces had no battery heat AFAIK, and the Ovonics NiMH was OK in the cold without heat, although there was a performace loss. Not as bad as cold Gel batteries, but there. Gel needed heat. Even so, the heat was at times marginally enough.

Seth
On Dec 20, 2004, at 9:50 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I like electrics. Reliable. Any hints running an AGM
equipped car in
sub-freezing temps?

Since I have yet to get a working EV on the road, I have no advice, but I'd be very interested in seeing how it would perform in the cold with battery heaters to keep them at about 85 degrees or so.

Invest enough in heating up a cold lead pack and you may be better off with a
NiCd pack that doesn't care how cold it is. You could end up with a pretty high
kwh/mi in the Great White North if you factor in heating requirements to
maintain battery performance - anyone know how well a NiCd pack handles the
Arctic chill?

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I like it but the paper did not mention the btu's available only the temperature of 130'. In comparison a typical ICE heater is the same temp as the engine approx 200'f it sounds to me like the heat exchanger would need to be rather large.
Mike G.

Doug Weathers wrote:

On Friday, December 17, 2004, at 06:43 PM, M.G. wrote:

How about a chemical reaction that could be undone ( recharged ) at the same time the batteries were being charged?
MikeG.

That's a really interesting idea. Something like sodium acetate, like in those reusable heat packs?

http://www.9thtee.com/reheater.htm

Actually, I just found a nice page on other phase change materials for heat storage:

http://www.eere.energy.gov/consumerinfo/factsheets/b103.html

It sounds like packaging is not yet fully worked out.

And this would be fairly heavy, too. I wonder if the extra complexity and weight would be worth the savings in electricity (from not using resistive heating from the traction pack) ?

--
Doug Weathers
Bend, OR, USA

Well, I've thought long and hard about a traction pack and I'm set on using
NiCads. I'm going this
route primarily for cold weather tolerance, but also because they can last a
long time if treated
well. Thanks to Seth I now have a 96volt pack. I'm actually looking for more
though. This first
pack is slated for a car I just bought, but the real project I want BB600s for
will require quite
a few more. By myself I'd like to find a couple of hundred (for an AC EV.) I
don't want to speak
for anyone else, but I know there are a few others in the area who might join
me in a bulk
purchase, if I could find them. So, here's my question; Does anyone know of a
source of BB600
NiCads? Does anyone have a pallet of them sitting around they'd like to sell?
Is there another
reasonably priced (i.e. not Saft) alternative? I've spoken with the people at
SG Photo and their
well has just about dried up.

These first ones will go in an existing EV I just picked up for my first
project. It has 8
Interstate floodeds that have been sitting so long (maybe 10 years) that I have
no hope they will
work. The car was professionally converted a long time ago and they seem to
have done a pretty
good job. Curtis controller, ADC motor, Russco heater, but no charger. The
Interstates were a
little heavy for this car, so lightening the load is a big plus. They designed
it to use an
external charger, but it burned up in a fire. The car is a 1968 Saab 96. It's
in remarkably good
shape for the age, but I discovered some rust in the pan near the rear axle.
I'm not sure if I
should fix the body or use the components in another donor. Time will tell.
First I've got to
evaluate the parts and see if the car is salvageable. Does anyone have any
experience fixing old
Saabs? I want to sell the car after I get it going so I don't think I can get
away with bondo and
duct tape.

Wish me luck,

Dave Cover (No longer a lurker, but not a driver yet!)

Dave Cover wrote:
> Well, I've thought long and hard about a traction pack and I'm set
> on using NiCads. I'm going this route primarily for cold weather
> tolerance, but also because they can last a long time if treated
> well.

These are good batteries. Just be sure you are "up to" the task of
properly maintaining them. Many beginning EVers murder their first pack
from ignorance and abuse; it would be a shame for this to happen to an
expensive pack of nicads.

> the real project I want BB600s for will require quite a few more.
> By myself I'd like to find a couple of hundred (for an AC EV.)

Be aware that these are flooded nicads, and need a lot of watering. That
will be a very tedious job with hundreds of cells!
has!" -- Margaret Mead
--
Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377  leeahart_at_earthlink.net

Hi folks,

Apparently this didn't go the first time, so I will try again.

For anyone interested in using a hair dryer as a heat source you might want to check out a switch I ran across at, of all places, Home Depot. I was shocked to notice they carry those old style surface mount light switches, and that they are still AC/DC rated. While I haven't tried one for this, it looks to me like they would be perfect for switching a hair dryer on and off without the expense and complexity of relays. A flea market hairdryer, some sort of fusing, a $4 switch from Home Depot, and instant heat. You should be warmer without spending $20. On the down side, it looks like they are only rated for 10 Amps. I found a picture of one on the web at:

http://www.levitonproducts.com/Catalog/Model_1210.htm?SID=V8RG5A7FCQGS8PADTG4AQB6HRTUU6R53&PID=1208

BTW, on my Civic EV I went with dual ceramic elements salvaged from two cube heaters. Three relays with caps for snubbers, and a little wiring and fantastic heat. The E-meter reports them pulling 31 Amps at full power which at 156+ Volts means 4800 watts, supposedly that works out to about 16,000 BTUs. Needless to say I have to turn it down pretty quick. The relays are controlled by an old Honda blower switch mounted in place of the original temp control knob (panel still looks stock). Low is one half of one element powered or about 1200 Watts, medium is one half of each element powered, or about 2400 Watts, and high is the whole thing. Combined with the three fan settings it gives me nine possible temp settings. Today I really needed it, as it was only 12 degrees when I came outside. Ouch!

I also have a 900 Watt AC powered Artic-Thaw heater I found at NAPA a couple of years ago. It is apparently a fairly common product in Canada used on ICE cars (since they plug in to run the block heater they might was well warm the interior too.) The mounting bracket permanently mounts in the car, and the heater clips into it, so you can take it out in warm weather. It came with a delay timer, but I found a seven day timer to use instead.

I picked up a 12 Volt electric blanket on Ebay that my wife thought was the best thing ever, though she usually kept it in our ICE Honda. Of course it got shut in the door and ruined, so I may have to get another one.

Stay warm,

Mike Chancey,
'88 Civic EV
'95 Solectria Force
Kansas City, Missouri
EV List Photo Album at: http://evalbum.com
My Electric Car at: http://www.geocities.com/electric_honda
Mid-America EAA chapter at: http://maeaa.org
Join the EV List at: http://www.madkatz.com/ev/evlist.html

I think the correct URL is:
http://wwww.guffs.net/forum/

Thanks!

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 05:01:45PM -0800, Rod Hower wrote:
> Justin,
> I tried this,
> wwww.guffs.net/forums
> just to see what you had, but
> I got a generic page,
> http://templates.doteasy.com/ErrorPages/error404/
> Let us know when it works,
> Rod
> --- justin vandeusen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > (Hope this works)
> >
> > Hello Everyone,
> >
> > I am new to the group but would like to invite
> > anyone
> > and everyone to come and visit my new forum set up
> > for
> > all types of alternative fuel vehicles including
> > EV's.

<..snip..>

> > -Justin
> >
> > wwww.guffs.net/forums

> > protection around
> > http://mail.yahoo.com

* LP8.2: HTML/Attachments detected, removed from message  *