  1) Re: perpetual motion snake oil on ebay
        by Jorg Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Ground resistance weirdness causing problems
        by Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: EVDL Razzie Awards?
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) 1500W ceramic heater options at Target
        by Ken Trough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: perpetual motion snake oil on ebay (how ebay works)
        by "Mark Fowler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: The Amazing Little Hawkers.
        by Chris Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: EVDL Razzie Awards?
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: perpetual motion snake oil on ebay
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  9) Re: The Amazing Little Hawkers.
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: perpetual motion snake oil on ebay
        by "Peter Eckhoff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Fw: perpetual motion snake oil on ebay
        by "Peter Eckhoff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Basic electrical question
        by D Franklin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Lack of knowledge of the law (physics, et.al.) is no defense
forbreaking them
 14) Re: The Amazing Little Hawkers That Refuse to Die!
        by Paul G <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Basic electrical question
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) snake oil on ebay/xmass story
        by "Steve Clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Trying to avoid battricide...SOC stuff
        by Ryan Bohm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Trying to avoid battricide...SOC stuff
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: splitting hairs, Rog V Rich.
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: perpetual motion snake oil on ebay, check out Karnes Dyno-Rev Engine
Inc.
        by "David Chapman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: SAFT Nicads (aircraft starting)
        by "M.G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Ground resistance weirdness causing problems
        by "M.G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
On 12/23/04 8:06 AM, "Tim Humphrey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> He's in Florida.
> He's built numerous EV's.
> He can't spell.
>
> I wonder if it recharges with a hood ornament windmill.
>
> Sounds like someone we know.
>
> Naaah, can't be. Tallahassee's nowhere near Fort Pierce.

Perhaps the weather has caused him to move?

A while back, for our first anniversary, in April 2003, my wife and I
visited Antelope Canyon in Arizona; it was part of a trip to visit Joshua
Tree, Vegas, the Grand Canyon, Zion Canyon, and Bryce Canyon.

Other than the Vegas shows, by far the best entertainment was our tour guide
from Antelope Canyony.  It was just my wife and I in his truck, and the
great thing was, as the day went on, his stories got further and further
from any possibility of truth.  First he explained how Antelope Canyon was
formed, which I'm pretty sure was true.  Then he explained how it used to be
that no one visited, until he convinved the Indians who owned the land to
lease it out for a movie.  [Insert story here about how the Indians thought
they might get $400 for the filming rights, but he got them $40,000]
Eventually he was paying them rights in order to bring people in, and
eventually it grew to be more than he could handle, and that's when BLM and
others came into the picture.

Next, he started talking about how there's still lots of gold to be found in
the area.  (He said this while digging casually in the ground with his
boots, picking up rocks here and there.)  The thing is, you see, the miners
feared going into the areas where the Indians were, and the Indians didn't
know of the right places to look.

Then there was a great story about how he saved some people from a flash
flood, the type of flash floods that created Antelope Canyon in the first
place.  It was part of a scheme to get good video footage of the floods as
they pass through Antelope Canyon.

And it ended, with my wife listening from the back seat, as we discussed my
hobbies for building electric vehicles.  His eyes lit up, as he explained
that he had built one himself, but the car companies wouldn't do it.  He had
built it out of wood, he said, and the electric motor which helped to run
the car was powered by batteries that, in turn, were regenerated by a
windmill contraption on the front.  At about 70, he claimed, the system
achieved breakeven and at that point he could run it as long as he wanted.
Eventually someone from a local newspaper did a story about it, to verify
the claim of 700 miles on a gallon of gas.  (or 70mpg, or 700 on one tank...
I forget)

Alas, shortly after the story was published, some men in fancy suits and
sunglasses showed up at his house, and made vague threats about his family.
But although the threats were vague, the names were not - they knew his
children and wife by name and age.  They explained how important it was not
to upset the delicate balance of the economy, and talked about the large
number of people he might put out of work if a car were to become popular
that needed far less gas and far less maintenance work.

... I've often thought about getting a small tape recorder I could take with
me, and this is one of the times that I was dying to have it.  It was so
good and rich in detail and enthusiasm.

After we thanked him for the tour and headed back to our car, my wife gave
me a concerned look.  I said, wow, I'm really lucky to have run into him -
but it was really hard as I was listening not to break out into hysterical
laughter.  She relaxed and said Thank God, I thought you believed him.  Of
course not, I said, but if I had pointed out all the holes in his story,
he'd surely have shut up and he'd be as boring as everyone else.

I mention all this because he was willing to sell me his blueprints for only
$40 or so.  Seems a bargain compared to the eBay auction!  If only I knew
where I stashed his business card...

jorg

At 2:54 AM -0500 12-23-04, Neon John wrote:

  The Zilla signal negative should be
wired back to the negative cable instead of just being tied to the nearest
hunk of chassis.  Sometimes you can get away with such things but in this
case you can't, it appears.

Actually, the Zilla negative pot signal does have its own connection, and that has a 1K ohm resistor to ground inside the Hairball. This is to keep the antenna that is the pot wire from wiggling the signal grounds on the Hairball.

Ryan has done some more testing with my direction, (we went over the inability to measure ground with a DMM as well. Since he's on digest so won't see these comments until a day later) and I think there is a problem inside the Hairball. I've Fed-ex'd him my beta unit to use and he'll be sending the problem one back for repairs. I'm suspecting that we missed a solder connection, but I'll know for sure in a few days when I see it.

--
-Otmar-

http://www.CafeElectric.com/  Home of the Zilla.
http://www.evcl.com/914  My electric 914

> PZEV - Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle
> I know this is an old one, but I'm seeing it everywhere because of this
> new "Hybrids in the carpool lane" legislation.  Can someone please tell
> me  the story of how somebody got the idea it was OK to put the word
> "partial" in front of the word "zero"?  And then it somehow passed
> review?

Here's a good thread about it, Kristian (whom I often disagree with)
does know an aughful lot about this stuff, she is rather involved aswell.
I think what it comes down to is that the P-ZEV is a Credit, it's
a Partial (ZEV) Credit, not a Partial-Zero Emissions Vehicle.

I agree with you, though.  These ratings should rate the vehicles and
not the credits that manufacturers get for producing them... IMHO:

S (Super) U (Ultra) LEV (Low emissions Vehicle). These should be
"Honor labels", given to cleaner than average cars.
ZEV, Zero Emissions Vehicles. A Label given to, well Zero Emissions
Vehicles, NOT some dumb "credit" to be traded off and bargined for.
P-ZEV? Like you say, what is Partial-Zero,
"Oh right it's 2/10'th of a ZEV Credit", sure that makes perfect sense.

I would suggest a solution, Call them CREDITS! in BIG BOLD LETTERS!
SULEV CREDIT, or ZEV CREDIT, or P-ZEV CREDIT (better 0.2*ZEV CREDITS)

> EVRental.com
> It's bad enough that these guys don't have any more EV's to rent out.
> But, I think they're trying to single-handedly change the definition of
> EV.  See this page: http://www.evrental.com/resale.html
> "Buying a pre-owned EV is as easy as 123", they say.  But click on the
> link, and you see a list of hybrids and CNG vehicles.

Ya, that's pretty annoying, Just like seeing "Clean Fuel Vehicle"
plastered on the side of the Cities Prius's, as if the gassoline that
goes into them is somehow cleaner than the gas going into other cars.

BTW. Turns out that our new Hybrid Transit Busses use more fuel
then the old busses they're replacing did, go figure.  They had to
change out the diesel engine at the last minute because the one they
were using didn't meet emissions, shrugs. And why can't they hook up
to the overhead wires that the old busses use?  I mean, the wires are
already there, Hydro power would fuel them, they are already "electric".

L8r
 Ryan

PS. I'm really getting irritated by all these:
"Greening of the Blue Oval" Adds all over the net.
"air purifying PZEV engines" -Puking
Unfortunently, noone said CREDIT.
"Under the hood of the Ford Focus PZEV is an engine carefully designed
" to meet the latest super-ultra-low emissions standards.* That’s why
" it can be designated PZEV or, rather, Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle."
So you see, in essence, it's really a SULEV (which I'm fine with) but
since it's also Zero-Evap and has a 150K Catalitic warrentee, BAM, PZEV!

.oO( Jerks )

At Target for $50
30" tall ceramic heater tower 1500W max with digital control

Also at target for only $21
Square style ceramic heaters at 1500W

1500W seems to be about the max on these ceramic heaters in the retail channel

-Ken Trough
Admin - V is for Voltage Megasite
http://visforvoltage.com
AIM - ktrough
FAX - 801-749-7807
message - 866-872-8901

Sorry for the OT post.

Roderick mentioned that a bidder increased his bid seven times from $130
to $1000.
This is the normal way that eBay works.

When you bid on an item, you put in your MAXIMUM bid.
EBay then bids on your behalf enough money for you to win the auction,
but no greater than your set maximum.
If someone else comes along and bids something greater than the current
bid, but less than your maximum, eBay will automatically increase your
current bid to be just more than the latest bidder.
The latest bidder sees this happen, tries a higher bid, and again eBay
bids for you so that you still win the auction (but pay more money).

Eg:

Auction opens at $10.00
Person A sets their max bid to $1000 (they really want this thing)
EBay bids $11 for Person A
Person B wants the thing, sees that the current high bid is $11, and
bids a max of $20
EBay bids $21 for Person A (still less than their max)
Person B bids $30
EBay bids $31 for Person A
Person B bids $50
EBay bids $51 for Person A
Person B gives up and looks for something else to buy...

According to the bid history, Person A just bid four times, which in a
real world auction is a dumb thing to do, but in the eBay world it
happens all the time.
(I've been Person B many times :-)

I don't recall offhand, but it seems to me that it may well have been
Electricars that exhibited exactly the bahaviour I've described.

Perhaps, however my Prizm had been sitting not charged and basically dead for over 5 years in a Fla storage warehouse and the batteries still charged up and ran 25 mile range for over 2k miles. They only died after I started using the MC :-)

There are a couple of things going on in your case:  you have 2 parallel
strings of 26Ah batteries and a single charger with *no* means of
determining/ensuring that the charge current is dividing equally between
them.  20A satisfies the minimum C/3 requirement for a 52Ah battery, but
that doesn't mean it is appropriate for parallel strings of 26Ah
batteries when one string could be seeing 90% of it and the other just
10%. Don't blame Hawker for a poorly designed installation that they
have no control over.

Eh. When I pulled my pack I made some very detailed charts of which battery was where, the specific run time to 10.66vpc from a full (individual) charge per battery, and took measuremnts during bulk charge with the pack open (it was on jackstands for a month plus). I did not see any real difference between the strings in the pack as for the individual batteries between strings (ie: one was not full of more shot batteries than the other), thus I can say with a pretty good certianty that the strings were not out of balance WRT each other.

The C/3 charge rate was a disaster on a long string. Period. I don't blame Hawker, I blame Chris Zach for slavishly following the details to the letter without using common sense.

Furthermore, there is more than one way to kill a battery.  All you have
found is that overcharging an AGM will cause it to dry out and will
shorten its life.  You have not established that the high rate bulk
portion of the charge shortened or lengthened the cycle life of that
battery, even though its cycle life was ultimately compromised due to
overcharging/venting.

Ok, let me be clear: Charging at max current (20a) into a 52ah pack to 375 volts (15vpc) then holding at 15vpc till current drops to 2ah, then charging to 390 volts at 1ah, then holding 390 volts for 50 minutes is a sure-fire way to dry out a pack of Hawker 26ah AGM batteries.

Now, actually drying out a Hawker is not the end of the world. I have refilled them with water (well, about 40), and have turned batteries with a 12-14 minute runtime at 35a to 27-30 minutes. It's possible to water a hawker; over the winter I am torturing a few of them in the kid's power wheels to see just what they can take. In the meantime I have a ton of them in the shed. I'll be trying some out on deep discharge duty this winter in the Elec-Trak. Will 3 strings be able to blow a lot of snow then be charged by a total-moron transformer charger capped at 45 volts? We'll see.

The bulk portion of the charge is *not* what dries out the battery.
During this portion of the charge the voltages of the individual modules
track closely and you do *not* have modules at 16V and modules at 14V
unless you start off with a ridiculously imbalanced pack (I have
performed tests with deliberately imbalanced packs, such as a string of
T105s with an L16 randomly inserted and have not managed to get the
module voltages in bulk to differ significantly).

No, you do. I checked this with my own eyes and saw the meter: E-meter at 340 (thus full blast charge), some batteries at 13+, some at 14, some at 15, a few at 16, and one or two at 17.

The problem was partially that the batteries were out of balance, but not in the sense of out of capacity. The highest voltage batteries were basically drier than the lower voltage ones. Water in a battery is basically a buffer against swings. If a battery is wet, it will charge slowly with it's voltage rising at a nice slope and will discharge slowly, once again with the voltage rising at a nice slope.

When it's drying out, the sulphuric acid becomes more concentrated and weird stuff happens. The battery has a higher voltage under discharge; the ones that were going to 16v were putting out 12.4 volts under C load without a bit of voltage sag. However once they passed 12.0 volts they would fall to 10 volts in seconds. Likewise under charge they would shoot up to 13-14 volts in no time, then fill, then go to 15-16-17 volts under low current. The more you did this, the dryer they got.

The wetter batteries would drop to 12 or so volts under C load, but would then drift down like leaves to 10.66 volts. New ones could go 34 minutes or so, better ones would go 20-25. These would mask the high value batteries, and the overall pack voltage would appear low. Causing the dry ones to get more dry with each charge. Nasty cycle.

Add water to one of the 16 volt batteries and you get a 14 volter performance. Thus water is like the shock absorber in the battery. As it bolis away the pack slides out of sync and into the dumpster.

If you monitor the voltages of the individual modules during a charge
cycle you will find that it is when you switch to constant voltage that
they begin to deviate from one another.

I did. They were swinging out during constant current (go to 375 volts). Bad.

What counts is not calendar life but cycle life.  It is possible that
the Electricar parallel string installation affects charging such that
the whimpy Dolphin charger results in longer life than the Magnacharger
for reasons unrelated to the initial bulk charge rate.

Possible, I'll defer to other people around here. My cycles were mostly light ones; I would typically discharge 10% per day, and 50% once a week. I would never go to 80% or worse (based on 52ah) and went into the 80% once (based on a perk adjusted battery pack size of 42ah). I still only got 6k miles and one year.

It seems to me that the Magnacharger does *not* implement Hawker's IUI
recommendations accurately, and that you personally, as I recall, ran
into trouble when you started tweaking the Magnacharger's programming.

No, I ran into trouble when I tried to *implement* the IUI. Constant current to 375 (I), constant voltage to 390 (current limited)(U), constant current 390 for 50 minutes. That solution toasted pack#1, pack#2, and at least two other packs from other people. We've stopped doing this for now :-)

So, I totally appreciate why you believe what you do, however, it is
clear to me that your experience neither proves nor disproves the
desirability of using a high charge rate on a series string of Hawkers
or other batteries.  Hopefully, I have been able to clearly explain why
I believe this.

Okie dokie. However I have been very interested in this little experiment, and took a nice new pack and applied the hawker IUI routine to it to the letter. I wound up with a toasted pack in under a year.

This pack I am trying something different:

Charge at 7amps to 350 volts. (6 hour time limit)

This will charge the pack up to 14.0vpb at a slightly slower rate than the max MC (vs. 20a) but at a current level a bit higher than the recombine of the batteries. Thus if I happen to overshoot a battery or two it will trip 350 faster than it would 375.

Hold 350 volts till 1.5amps. (2 hour time limit)

This holds the batteries at 350, giving the less full ones time to catch up while protecting the ones that might be "there".

Charge to 375 volts at 1.5 amps. (2 hour time limit)

This takes the pack *slowly* up to 375 (15vpb) at a rate below the recombiner max (2a). If there is a battery that is at the peak it will start to gas internally, but will recombine out.

Hold at 375 volts for 60 minutes.

This lets the batteries catch up and all get to 15vpb.

So far from watching the E-meter, this solution gets me to within .1ah using a CEF of 92% and a perk factor as specified in the hawker manual.

Every week or so I let the Dolphin charge the pack (at 2.5ah) up to 390volts. The Dolphin is a bit stupid, but it throttles back the current at around 362 volts, going to .2amps at 390 for 50 minutes. This always brings the pack back up to around .3-.5ah above zero using CEF 92% and factory perk.

Additionally I use the Hakwer specs for temp compensation and will kill the charge if any of the battery temp sensors go above 35 degrees C.

FWIW, when I referred to John possibly having a better balanced pack of
Hawkers if he followed Hawker's recommendations, it was the finish
charge rather than initial charge rate I was specifically alluding to.
The bulk rate has little if any impact on the balance of the pack, and
with John's use of dump charging at the track, his little Hawker pack
almost certainly never had to worry about being bulk charged *below*
Hawker's recommendations! ;^>  20A?  200A is more likely, and this into
a single string of batteries 1/2 the size of yours (1/4 the capacity of
your paralleled strings).

*nod* This is why I think the regen from braking can make the pack happy if it likes brief high-current charges. 150A is quite possible on the road, maybe that plus the Dolphin is the right answer.

I think though that unless you have a way to put a screaming halt to the bulk rate if any battery goes above 14.7 volts, then you will dry out the pack and kill it. Thus my next project, which is to *finally* install the super battery monitor system. Once that's in I will be able to watch the batteries hit 14.7 volts. At that point I will refine the MC charge protocols such that it charges like a madman, then shuts back *just* as the first monitor LED lights up green. Then cuts off when all of them are a nice happy warm green (14.7-15.0), and none are yellow (>15.7)

As I pointed out when PZEVs first appeared, this is something fabulous!

We all thought that our zero emission vehicles (EVs) were the least polluting
vehicles available, but no more.  Now there are vehicles that are so clean that
they emit only a part - a fraction - of what our ZEVs do!  So we should all
immediately junk our ZEVs and buy PZEVs.  Then we'll all be doing our civic
duty to clean up the air.

Well, most of us, anyway.  I can't.  Honest, I'm a Good Citizen, and I'd buy
one - maybe even two - but my bank account seems to have diminished.
Last year, it was zero.  Now it's fallen to partial zero. :-(

In a message dated 12/23/2004 9:15:12 AM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<<  Also he
 misspelled "strick" [ed. strict] but got "restriction" correct.  It just
 seemed odd.  Almost like someone trying to dumb down his spelling smarts in
 an arrogant way.  That's where I was coming from. >>

I am an Automotive instructor. I keep up with industry trends on a listserve
much like this one but much larger. Easily 1/3 of the tech's who post cant
spell well. Some of the best tech's I've known and some of the best students
I've
taught have dyslexia.
While dyslexia is a drag, the upside is that those that have it seem to be
blessed with spatial skills and hand eye coordination (tool skills) far beyond
average.
I am sure that there are lots of dumb auto *mechanics* out there who cant
spell, but there are also hunderds of thousands of bright, qualified
*technicians*out there,  many of whom spell poorly due to a medical condition.

Ben

On 23 Dec 2004 at 10:49, Ken Trough wrote:

>  I don't know where this "Hawkers need high current charging" Myth
> comes from. It certainly is not true. They are just simple PbLa AGM
> batteries.  Light charges, heavy charge rates, it doesn't matter.

This is what Solectria discovered when they fitted Forces with Hawkers for a
time in the mid-90s.  The packs rapidly dropped in capacity unless they were
charged with high current (level II or higher) equipment.  It was related to me
by one of their tech support people, and I also heard it third-hand from some
other Solectria users.  It was also mentioned in a Connecticut or New
Hampshire EV program report, which I think is regrettably no longer available
on line.

Some of their users bought the big chargers (for big bucks), but others didn't
have the budget.  So Solectria switched to Sonnenschein / East Penn gel
batteries and found them free from this phenomenon.  Long time list
members may remember that shortly thereafter Solectria disposed of their
stock of Hawkers, offering them at a bargain price on this list.

(They continued to use those gel batteries through the rest of the production
run, with reasonable success.)

I believe that Nawaz has also mentioned (in a generic sense) the need that
many lead batteries have for periodic high current "slams."  I'm not an
electrochemist, so I can't explain it, but he probably can.

Thanks!

Here's a little treat for you: http://web.icq.com/shockwave/0,,4845,00.swf

Peter

OOps!!  I meant to send this as an off list email:

> Thanks!
>
> Here's a little treat for you: http://web.icq.com/shockwave/0,,4845,00.swf
>
> Peter

I am building a charger for my planned EV.  I am using a 20 amp variac, and a
bridge rectifier on a large heatsink.  I am going to start with a 48 volt pack,
but this could change, thus I thought the variac set-up would suit my needs as
well as my pocket book.

The main components are the variac and the bridge rectifier, but I have also
included a 0-20amp digital amp guage and a 0-200vdc digital voltmeter guage.
Both of these guages run on a 5vdc supply, so I robbed a nice little power
supply out of an old servo drive I had.  The 5v power supply has the
conventional transformer and regulating circuits, it's not a switching supply.

The problem I have is there was a little smoke when I turned everything on, and
then turned the variac up a little bit.  What I discovered was the neg voltage
input terminal on the digital guage has a small trace that runs over to the
negative 5vdc supply terminal.  They referenced the neg of the 5v supply to the
neg of the input terminal.  The smoke was this small trace burning in two.

I thought  the drawbacks of using a variac were a safety issue since the
battery terminals will be referenced to the 120v ac line coming in.  Did I
overlook another possible conflict with the 5vdc power supply?  Since it has a
transformer, I figured I would be ok.  I am thinking of just tying the neg of
the 5vdc supply directly to the neg output of the bridge rectifier(which in
effect, is the neutral of the incoming line).  Anyone see any problems with
this?  Another possible solution?  If I have to have a isolation transformer,
anyone have any sources for one I could get surplus?  I am assuming it would
need to be about 2400watts in size.

Dave F

 The all-new My Yahoo! – What will yours do?