  1) Race scales
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) EVs Needed for Midwest Show
        by Electro Automotive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) 300zx conversion
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: The Amazing Little Hawkers.
        by Chris Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: Range + Golf cart vs. AGM wars
        by "John Westlund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: EVs Needed for Midwest Show
        by "John Westlund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re:  300zx conversion
        by "John Westlund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Lithium-Ion Batteries
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: The Amazing Little Hawkers.
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: The Amazing Little Hawkers.
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Brush help
        by Jude Anthony <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Low Rolling Resistance Tires?
        by "Gabriel Alarcon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Range + Golf cart vs. AGM wars
        by "John Bryan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: The Amazing Little Hawkers.
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Follow-up on Valence Li-Ion batteries in 12V size
        by Dragan Stancevic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Race scales
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 17) Chargeing questions
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Refined hybrid truck ideas
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 19) Manufacturing an input shaft
        by Dragan Stancevic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Manufacturing an input shaft
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Initial EV plans
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Manufacturing an input shaft
        by Dragan Stancevic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: 144V vs 108 V performance
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- These have been used for racing for years, they are a little inconvient in that you can't make ramps and drive up on them, but very ggod for garage work.

Ebay item # 4514698552

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4514698552&category=43998&sspagename=WDVW

these guys are on here a lot and the they say 1200 lbs/corner, good thing as EV's get heavy.
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- This came in our email. It's too far away for us, but maybe some other listers would like to participate.

Shari Prange

Hello, We have a show, Wings & Wheels, featuring custom and classic autos, motorcycles and aircraft on August 12 & 13, 2005 at the Central Illinois Regional Airport, Bloomington, IL. This year we would like to feature electric and alternative energy autos in the show. I found your information on the Internet, and am sending this email to you because you may have an interest in our show.

This will be our third year. Our primary draw has been our airplane rides in vintage aircraft. We also have radio-controlled aircraft and car demonstrations, had kites and a drag car demonstration at the last show, and would like to include alternative fuel vehicles in our show and in our promotion this year.

The show will be in the parking lot of the old terminal, and we can arrange demonstrations of the vehicles (by driving them on a course in the parking lot) with information about them announced on the PA. I hope you are interested in showing your own vehicle—there is no charge—and maybe you know of other interested groups or individuals. If so, please forward this email to them.

We also have vendor opportunities at $85 for a 10x10' booth space, $45 for each additional 10x10' space. Admission for the public is free.

Thank you, and have Happy Holidays!

Nancy Churchill

Wings & Wheels
August 12 & 13, 2005
Central Illinois Regional Airport
Bloomington, IL, Rt. 9 West
www.wingsnwheelsbn.com
toll free 877-206-1501
1114 North Main St.
Normal, IL 61761

--- Begin Message --- Orbitals or perhaps surplus nicad?( don't like the low cell voltage). Maybe start with orbitals then transition to orbitals with li-ion for range. I agree it would be sacralidge to put flodded in a 300zx
I want this to be a tire smoking beast, but recognize a weight issue. ( I can't be to hypocritical on weight, the driver can stand to loose 100 himself!)

The ICE and all it's trim+fuel is at least 1/2 the battery+ motor weight, I am hoping I am good with that.
I am buying a set of scales and will start weighing everything as I build it. I took over 800 lbs off my mitsubisi PU when I was autocrossing it.
I do understand load dispersion on unibodies and will be pop-rivioting saddle plates where I add mounts and plan on using isolation on high vibration parts like the motor plate, it will be directly mounted to the pseudo frame with an alum plate and urethane bushings.

book on edge of dollar bill, hehe, 3 ways ; sofar :-)
I will try to avoid rear weight bias at all costs, even less range, I have driven rear weight biased vehicles on and off track, and they are at best "twitchy" always want to swap ends.
even a 50-50 bias Is bad, because it changes during weight transfer and ends up going from rear to front to rear bias again. Not fun.

Would LOVE a zilla 2K to go with that 14degree advanced warp 9 and 300 volts of orbitals, but, damn, every part of conversion can't cost 1000's, I'll never finish, At least I have access to a machine shop and can build anything. Maybe later, then move Z1K to 2nd conversion.

I am surprised you said you wouldn't convert a 300zx, I didn't think 3000 was that much more than what is being converted. At least it has big brakes and a stout rear end with independent suspension. What was the weight of a 510? john?
Don't bet on it ;^>  2.5A will still vent your pack if you hold it long
enough; even 1A (or less) can.  I don't think the recombination reaction
can keep up with more than a very low current indefinitely; the higher
rates (like 0.05C specified by Hawker) almost certainly take into
account the amount of head space in the battery for gasses to accumulate
pending recombination and the maximum durations that the current is to
be sustained.

True, the Dolphin does taper that 2.5 down to less than 1 as you pass the 360 mark; question becomes will the battery gas if exposed to 1amp fot 50 minutes.

Absolutely; a sensible question.  Pick a number between about 13.5 and
14.7V/module and run full current up to this level, then drop the
current limit to something you are comfortable with and continue the
rest of the way to the 14.7V/module level.  If you have your LED
monitors installed, you could pick the initial voltage level and
following current such that you get the quickest recharge without any
module going over-voltage for an excessive time.  You would probably
find that you need to charge more gently with a fresh pack as well as
with an old one that is less well-balanced.

This is starting to make sense. What I can do is change the charge program to charge full-blast to say 332 volts or so, then shift to the 5amps to 350, then 1.5 to 367, then hold 367 for 50 mins at a rate of <1amp. Since I have been watching the charger as of late with the E-meter I can tell with a fair degree of accuacy if the result winds up with an under or over charged battery.

Really interesting will be to see how much time it spends in each phase of the charge.

Unfortunately, we just don't know.  *If* Hawker's reasons are similar to
USBMC's, then perhaps charging at high rates for the first few minutes
of bulk will yield most or all of the benefits; this is something that
you can experiment with - it certainly can't be *worse* for the pack to
give it 5-10min of C/3 at the start of charge than to charge it at 2.5A
with the Dolphin every time.

True. I'll see how much benefit charging the pack at 20amps to 13volts average will do.

Something I would seriously consider is replacing the pack with a single
string of larger AGMs, such as Optima YTs, Exide Orbitals, or the Deka
Intimidators.  The D34 YTs, for instance would provide about the same
capacity as your present pack (even though you apparently seldom use the
full capacity anyway).  Going to a single string makes charging a bit
more predictable and cuts your number of modules in half (a reasonable
cost savings if you were to install regs).

Would do this in a heartbeat, except for the bane of the Prizm: The pack is mounted low and in a tight spot. I'd have to put them in the trunk and rear seat area of the car, which would wipe it out as a useful automobile. The car also handles like it is on rails now due to the 1,000lbs of weight arranged under the car and right in the center. Moving that to the trunk would increae the polar moments, and would make the car roll around.

Now, there is those lithium batteries in the U1 size. A pack of those would weigh 300lbs, have a 40ah size (about the size of the hawkers when you take into account the 1C shrinkage in lead batteries) and have all the built in regs in the world. Two strings would be an 80ah pack that is 400lbs lighter than what I have in there. 80-100 miles of range, 400lbs less weight.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Ok, I'm drooling now.

Roger Stockton wrote:

>I had the opportunity to go for a test ride in mid
>Dec, now that he is over the 500Hp mark, and I can
>honestly state that I would be *thrilled* with an EV
>with this level of performance, flooded, AGM, or
>gerbils in the battery box! ;^>

If only the guy who owned that monster diesel truck ran it
on straight vegetable oil. He'd see about a 7% horsepower
increase AND wouldn't need a drop of gas. Imagine the
cockeyed looks people would be giving him at the track then.
"Veggie Truck".

Electro Automotive wrote:

>This came in our email. It's too far away for us, but
>maybe some other listers would like to participate.

I heard about some Alternative Fuel Drag races in Joliet,
Illinois, next year. If I only had an idea of who was going
to be there and if there is even going to be a turnout. I'd
love to attend an event like this.

Jeff Shanab wrote:

>At least it has big brakes and a stout rear end with
>independent suspension. What was the weight of a 510?

I know this question wasn't adressed to me, but over a year
ago when I was looking for conversion candidates, I remember
a fully-outfitted 510 with no driver and a full tank being
around 2,350-2,400 pounds. A stripped version modded for
racing could get down to about 1,750 pounds, I think.

I can deal with mounting and wiring up 12, 12 volt
batteries.

But I don't like the thought of having to mount and wire 96
bats...

http://www.metricmind.com/ac_honda/images/bat_paral.jpg

http://www.metricmind.com/ac_honda/images/box_trial.jpg

http://www.metricmind.com/ac_honda/images/bat_full.jpg

~$8,960 - 345V pack

http://www.metricmind.com/ac_honda/main2.htm

http://www.metricmind.com/

Great post, Rich!

Rich Rudman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have seen 399 Hp at 750 plus from one of those Duramax
> Trucks. On a Dyno.... Turbo Tech's Dyno in Tacoma , Wa for
> real Hp. I helped tie it to the hardpoints on the Dyno. Holy
> S!!! . I don't like GM anything, But the Duramax and the
> Allison tranny are my Fav for real hard work.

Yeah, my buddy started out a Ford man too, but it took a lot more tricks
to get a Powerstroke near the 400HP level (including propane injection),
and reliability dropped way down.  At 500HP+ his Duramax is still
running stock injectors and turbo.  So far it looks like the Allison
tranny will be the weak link...

> EV mode... the tow Rig for the Gone Postal trailer is a
> Duramax..

Even more EV mode: if there was ever any doubt about what Gone Postal is
capable of achieving once it gets all of its power to the track, the
quarter mile performance of my buddy's Duramax ought to give some
reassurance.  7000lbs, 482HP, 910ft-lbs (both at the rear wheels), and
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  Gone Postal is a svelte 4000-4500lbs in comparison,
and has somewhere around 500 battery HP on tap doesn't it?  It may not
get quite as much HP to the ground as the Duramax, but it probably
delivers similar or greater torque.  The aerodynamics are probably
comparable, and while with a bit less HP to the ground Gone Postal may
have a bit of a struggle to break the 100mph mark, I don't expect it to
have much trouble at all dipping well into the 12's.

> The point of this reply.
>     You certainly DO still need the regs.!!

OK; I need you to educate me on this point, because I don't see it.

You described how the regs form part of the control loop such that if
amy module exceeds its regulation setpoint, it signals the charger to
cutback.  The charger reduces the current limit until all the regs are
happy again.

If this is the case, then what is the benefit of a full featured 2.5A
regulator instead of a simpler, cheaper voltage sensor other than
perhaps 2.5A more charge current?  As far as I can tell, once the
charger can "see" the individual module voltages, then it can adjust the
charge rate to whatever is required to keep the highest voltage module
at or below whatever setpoint you choose.  At this point, the only
benefit I can see to being able to bypass 2.5A around any module is that
the charger can 2.5A more through the non-bypassed modules.

Sure, this will reduce charge time... slightly.  I think we largely
agree that the regs do their thing mostly *after* the bulk charge, and
except in the case of Madman level charge currents, most of the Ah are
returned in the bulk phase.  In the case of Madman level charging, only
50% of the Ah may be returned in bulk, but just how much impact on
charge duration is there between cutting back to 75A (with regs) or
72.5A (without) from 80A (for example)?  Once the current starts
tapering, it usually tapers pretty quick and without regs it seems you
would taper exactly the same as with, just 2.5A lower in level.

> Yes.. the recombiners should hold thier own.
> But..... and this is a Big Butt, I have never seen the
> recombiners stay up with even a 2amp constant over charge.
> This is WHY the Zivans on the  Sparrows kill the Optima Yts
> in such a short order. Even at 2 amps Gassing happens. And I
> don't care who says they do or don't!!!

As of this past August, the word from Dr. John Olson of Optima fame is
that 4A is the maximum recombination current an Optima will support
without thermal runaway, and that 2A for 1hr will result in a loss of
less than 1g of H2O even if all of the energy goes into electrolysis.

Optima's definitely gas at 2A, they may even vent at 2A (I've seen it at
lower currents too).

Is this why Zivan's on Sparrows kill YTs?  Who knows; this is at least
the 3rd plausible theory I've heard.

> I have seen gassing as low as 15 volts at 500
> milliamps. With a new set of Yts, half a amp will drive them
> to 17 some odd volts. So.... You still need Regs..

This is where we can only agree to disagree; as far as I'm concerned
once you're over the gassing threshold you worry about current to
regulate the gassing rate and avoid venting; let the voltage go where it
wants to so the plates can fully charge.  The only hesitation I have
here is that Hawker recommends a maximum of 15.6V for their batteries,
so I would observe this, however, they also state that the finish charge
must continue for the full duration even if the voltage hits this limit,
so I still wouldn't use a reg unless I could kick it up to the higher
finish voltage limit.

> Umm I tried this, knowing what you know Roger.... I killed
> the Yt pack in my Fiero in less than 18 months... Alway had a
> voltage controlled charger, Never ran it dead, filled often
> just to top off. DEAD in 18 months, less than 1/2 range

I can't help but have difficulty reconciling the phrase "conservative
charge algorithm" and Madman in the same context ;^>

It doesn't serve anybody for me to try and guess what you did or didn't
do, in the end all that matters is that whatever you tried didn't work
for you.  My goal is not to charge in the shortest possible time, but
rather to charge sucessfully without regs, since my (employer's)
customers won't build regs into their vehicles and applications.  I have
no doubt that it can be done, but I'm pretty certain that the charge
times would be too long for you.

> Limit pack current, Umm that's a time penalty...

Yep, that is the tradeoff.

> and a it becomes a Wild ASS guess... Also the abuse of the regs
> depends on the history of the pack... DOD, temps,
> selfdischarge.... how hard it was just pulled down, and Moon
> phase.... And what sign it's under.....etc. The biggie.. is
> how unequalized is the pack??? has it been pushed to Equal,
> or pulled farther apart???? You need some knowledge of the
> past to predict the future...OR....Regs and live in the present.

There is certainly some truth to this, however, the situation is not as
bleak as you might think.

> First the Mk2b Regs have a "equalize" mode that kicks the Reg
> voltage up 1.5 volts.. just for this need.

Excellent; I was pretty sure they did, but not certain enough to say one
way or the other.

> I would sure expect the the extra volt would certainly push a
> gassing batteries internal pressure MUCH higher. Though if
> the Amps are the same, the Coulombic generation of gasses is
> the same.

I'm not sure why you think the extra volt should have any effect on the
rate of gassing.  As you observe, the rate of generation of gasses is
proportional to the current.

> I would not want my batteries to be in this
> situation....at all.  14.8 and NO gassing....

To each his own; my understanding is that Optima specifially states that
the voltage be unlimited during the 2A finish, and that Hawker allows
the finish voltage to hit 15.6V specifically because this is required in
order to fully recharge the plates.

Back at the bulk/absorption transition there is no argument: 14.8V and
no gassing is a happy place to be.

> As Ryan is finding out ...maybe we should drop the end
> voltage for Orbitals down to 14.6, instead of the Optima
> Yellow Top tried and true 14.8 volts. Orbs do seam to vent at
> a lower voltage.

This is venting at the bulk/absorption transition that you're seeing?

> The regs on my Orbs seamed to get crasy about 277, Even when
> my Regs are set to 14.8(*19)= 281. 284 lit all the regs hard
> on!. 281 was a quite flicker from about 1/2 the pack.
> 277, an not a reg fired.

That all the regs lit on at 284V is not too surprising, but that not a
reg fired at 277V (14.6V/module) is impressive!  Any chance that you
have been logging individual module voltages during some/all of these
cycles and will make this data available in some form on your site?

Chris Zach [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> This is starting to make sense. What I can do is change the charge
> program to charge full-blast to say 332 volts or so, then
> shift to the 5amps to 350, then 1.5 to 367, then hold 367 for 50
> mins at a rate of <1amp. Since I have been watching the charger as
> of late with the E-meter I can tell with a fair degree of accuacy
> if the result winds up with an under or over charged battery.
>
> Really interesting will be to see how much time it spends in
> each phase of the charge.

332V (13.3V/module) is quite conservative, but still ought to let your
pack see full current for at least the first few mimutes of each charge.
You might have to vary the 50min final duration until the E-Meter shows
that you're achieving the desired 5-10% overcharge.

Let us know how it works out!

> > Something I would seriously consider is replacing the pack with a
> > single string of larger AGMs,
>
> Would do this in a heartbeat, except for the bane of the
> Prizm: The pack is mounted low and in a tight spot. I'd have to put
> them in the trunk and rear seat area of the car, which would wipe it
> out as a useful automobile.

I'm certainly not suggesting putting the batteries anywhere but in the
stock location!  Your 26Ah Hawkers are just a hair under 5" tall
(4.96"), and the D51 YTs are just a hair over 5" tall if you lay them on
their side (5.0625").  It seems to me that there is more than a fighting
chance that you could squeeze 25 D51 YTs into your existing box, but
even if not, having a new box fabricated that is 1/4"-1/2" deeper (or a
spacer to fit between the box and the floorpan of the car) would likely
be cost-effective in the long run (i.e. 25 YTs has *got* to be enough
cheaper than 50 Hawkers to recover the fabrication cost PDQ).

The D51's are just 41Ah vs your present 52Ah, but if there is any
headroom available on your charger/controller, perhaps you can make up
some of the difference by installing a couple extra modules to crank the
pack up to 336-360V.  Unfortunately, the full-size 55Ah D34 YT is
6.8125" tall when laying on its side, which would mean making the
battery box nearly 2" deeper to accommodate them... something which is
probably unacceptable.

--- Begin Message --- We're prepping the motor in anticipation of receiving our adapter. Nathan's just got the bell housing off; I have pictures at my website: http://judebert.com/wasted_youth/EV/current.html . Since I've never seen *good* brushes and commutators before, I have no idea if what I'm looking at is normal. Hence the pictures. Please visit and comment.

The unsettling news is that we only have two possible settings for our brushes. Reading my EV archives, it appears that we'll need to drill an extra set, 10 degrees (or approximately 0.8") in the other direction. Horrors. I expect to make a cardboard template of the current holes, move the set screws to the neutral position, flip the cardboard, and drill new holes. Anybody got any better ideas?

Thanks,
Judebert

Check out Greenseal.org.  They have tested more than a dozen tires and have a
list based on their rolling resistances.  I got a price for 4-Bridgestone B381,
their top scorer, 414.21 installed, 185/65R14's.