  1) Re: wire cutting machine (OT)
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Another EV Joins the Wayland Fleet
        by "David Chapman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: EVLN(Bricklin 2005: Chinese cars)
  4) Re: About to purchase batteries
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: About to purchase batteries
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: wire cutting machine
        by Bruce Weisenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: EVLN(EV builder: Castro, among Mosul dead)
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: EVLN(CM-Sparrow: EV plant land sold off)
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Power steering...wahoo!!
        by "Steve Clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Ampabout: What are those for? Another Ampabout!
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: Long Range EV Ideas
        by "Dave Davidson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: TS cell info
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 13) I have only one word for you, was Re: Long Range EV Ideas
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 14) Re: More EV ideas
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Controller overvoltage headroom, Re: TS cell info
        by "Doug Hartley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Cedric's bike
        by "Paul Compton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: (OT)Re: Cedric's bike - inspiring!
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: wire cutting machine (OT)
        by "David Chapman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: About to purchase batteries
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Jeep EV (Battery LED, Raptor controller questions)
        by Nick Viera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: DIY Controller? (DIY Motor)
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Jeep EV (Battery LED, Raptor controller questions)
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Jeep EV (Battery LED, Raptor controller questions)
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
--- Begin Message --- At 07:57 PM 2/01/05 -0800, Lawrence Rhodes wrote:
Can't comment on why but I need a lot of little wires. Using solid brass 22gauge. Not coated. No stripping. Simplist machine possible & yes I found a 6rpm geared down cap start unit. I just need a cutter and someway to actuate it. Lawrence Rhodes.......

Hi Lawrence (and all)

Being brass I guess it is hard and should cleave easily enough, I assume round wire (not square or rectangular?) the issues that I would think you need to look at are as follows:

Assuming that it comes on a spool, does it spring straight when it comes off the spool? bonus if it does, since you can use the stuck-out length against a mechanical stop to measure it (drive it out with a friction drive until it hits a mechanical stop, then trigger the cutter). If it doesnt spring straight, you may still be able to drive it against a stop, but through a guideway to stop it from curving off, although you may need to add an ejector.

Next assumption, that it is hard enough to cleave cleanly, you could have a set of jaws made and hardened for a hand cropper - I don't know what the American name is for this tool, but it is a bench-mounted hand-operated rod and flat-bar shear for mild steel and similar bar up to 10mm or so diameter (great if you need to make up a stack of buss-bars for an EV battery pack). the rod is pushed through a hole that is in both jaws that is a reasonably neat fit to its diameter, then the cropper handle is pulled down, shearing the rod. It would be possible to solenoid or compressed-air operate one of these tools, or try used machinery dealers to see if they have a pneumatic one ready made. Drive the wire through with a friction drive that will slip once the wire hits the stop, drive the cutter on a cyclic timer, with the time set to slightly longer than the feed time. The stop may need to be moving as well, to allow the cropped part to be pushed clear.

It would be good to have the drive stop once the cutter is stroked down, so there is no side-thrust on the cutter as it comes back up, restart the drive once up (an electric clutch is good for this). A good source dor a lot of drive parts, clutches etc is big old photocopiers.

Of course if you use pneumatic, you need an air compressor etc., which adds other issues.

Rather than me keep waffling on with ideas, how do these concepts fit with what you need to do?

James.
Sunday, January 2, 2005

Malcolm Bricklin: From hardware stores to Chinese car imports

1939: Malcolm Bricklin is born in Philadelphia

1958-59: Bricklin attends University of Florida-Gainesville.

1960s: Bricklin founds Handyman hardware stores in Orlando. The
   stores are later sold and Bricklin begins selling Lambretta
   motor scooters for the Innocenti company and buys a motor
   scooter franchise in Boston. He also begins distributing Fuji
   Rabbit Scooters in Canada.

1968: Innocenti goes out of business and Japan's Fuji Heavy
     Industries discontinues the Rabbit, prompting Bricklin to
     visit Japan to convince the company to reverse plans.

1969: With an investment of $75,000, Subaru of America is founded
     by Bricklin to import Subaru cars from Japan. Subaru starts
     out with 30 dealers along the East coast and 60 in
     California.

1971: Bricklin leaves Subaru to build his own car, the Bricklin,
     a gull-winged sports car. To land plant, Canada's
     struggling New Brunswick province provides $20 million in
     start-up funds and $1 million for plant. There were about
     2,875 Bricklins built before output was stopped because of
     legal and financial woes.

1985: Bricklin begins importing Yugo.

1995: Bricklin forms an electric vehicle company and markets an electric bike known as the EV Warrior through 1997.

2002: Plans are announced by Bricklin to import another Yugoslavian-made car -- the ZMW from Zastava Motor Works.

2004: Visionary Vehicles is formed to import Chinese-made vehicles.

2005: With backing from investment banking giant Allen & Co.,
     Bricklin unveils plans to export Chinese-made small car to
     the United States as early as 2007.

Sources: Detroit News research, Visionary Vehicles
-

===== Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor, RE & AFV newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
=====

--- Begin Message --- If you get the DEKA batteries, make sure they all have the same date code. Then put them on float at 13.6v for a week to make sure they are all topped up. Heck keep them all on float until you assemble the pack. You have a thermal management system and the proper charge profile, right? (the two best ways to ensure success/failure of the batteries)

Seth

On Jan 3, 2005, at 1:59 AM, EAA-contact wrote:

Don,

How about Optima 51's:
+ AGM
+ 41 ah
+ 26 lb each, 728 lbs for 28 (336v nominal pack)
+ list price $3920 (http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/)

BR,
Ed Thorpe

--- On Sun 01/02, Don Cameron wrote:

After a **lot** of analysis, I have boiled it down to two batteries:

Hawker Genesis G42EP
* VRLA AGM
* 42 Amp Hour
* 33 lbs each, 925 lbs for the pack
* $3700 for the pack
* AGM is more sensitive to charging, requires BMS
* AGM delivers power - no problem
* 500 lifecycles
* AGM is common use by many EVers, and is recommended

Deka Dominator 8G34
* VRLA Gel
* 60 Amp Hours
* 42 lbs each, 1190 lbs for the pack (somewhat heavy)
* $3000 for the pack
* Gel is more tolerant to pack imbalances, but still benefits with a BMS
* These have been used in many vehicles by Solectria with lots of success
* Gel cannot deliver much more that 200-250 Amps - but still OK for high
voltage AC
* 500-900 lifecycles
* Gel is not preferred by many EVers on the list

P.S. I have not listed the Optimas or the Orbitals because they just are too heavy/bulky and just won't fit into the vehicle

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com

--- Begin Message --- One more thing. Group 24 or 34 DEKA? Either way, at 40 lbs, definitely keep the peak current below 200A, not 250A. 500A at 336V (two and a half times that 200A limit) will push full sized schoolbuses up to highway speed. I didn't see what vehicle this is going in, but a 180-200A current limit should be plenty at first, if you want range and pack life. A 28 module pack that gets out of balance is an absolute trainwreck. By not abusing the pack, you stand a much better chance of it never happening. Until you know what you are doing (and the pack is doing!), keep the DOD small. If for no other reason, to see ifyou have a bad module that you can replace after a few short cycles. If the pack does go out of balance, then the only real remedy is a TOTAL pack replacement. Otherise, it will be a matter of nursing modules endlessly.

[...]

If you were to use a 1 inch diameter pipe and wrap it
a hundred times, you would end up with 100 aprox. 3"
wires when cut in straight line. At 22 guage a
standard Stanley knife will spit them off. A Straight
slit down the pipe would make a good straight egde for
the cut.
For a 6" use a 2" diameter pipe. They will be a little
big but in my industry a little bigger is better than
too short. That won't strip them but you only asked
about cutting.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

From: Mike Chancey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Long Range EV Ideas
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 11:01:24 -0600

Hi folks,

I keep dreaming up ideas for EVs that I will never get around to building, but I thought I might share some of these daydreams and see what you folks think.

1.  Big Pack Kit Car:

Build a custom from steel box tubing, patterned after a VW Beetle pan, but based on heavier suspension components from say a VW bus. As part of the frame, build in supports for 4 battery packs for standard GC2 golf cart batteries. 8 batteries in front of the from axle, 10 in front of the rear axle above the transmission, and 4 on each side of the motor behind the rear axle. Total 26 batteries. With T-145s this would amount to 1846 pounds of batteries, a very weighty pack. Add a 9" Advanced and a baby Zilla, with say a PFC-50 for charging. Also add one of those slick automatic watering systems. Now, top it off with a Kelmark GT kit car body modified to add a flip-up front for accessing the front pack. The Kelmark already has dual rear hatches that could be used to access the rear battery pack or a flip-up could be built here as well. Each battery pack would be enclosed in a fiberglass box with ventilation fans. At something like 3500 to 3800 pounds, the resulting EV would not be a stellar performer on acceleration, but the range would be outstanding. Assuming 175-200 Watt hours per mile at 60 mph, a highway range of 100-120 miles seems at least possible.

2. Plug-in Hybrid Pickup:

Pretty much a standard pickup conversion except that no batteries would be installed under the hood. Instead there would be a 8 to 10KW genset, either off the shelf or custom assembled from perhaps a modified 3 phase motor and a small 10 to 15 hp gas engine. Again I like the idea of a 144 or 156 volt system to get the performance up a bit while still using the forgiving golf cart batteries. To fit this many batteries may mean sacrificing some if not all the cargo space in the bed. The result would be an EV with good range and the ability to extend that range as needed.

Substituting about an equal weight of AGMs should result in about the same range without the watering hassles and with much better performance, but would require some sort of battery management system.

So, crazy or do-able, or already been done?

Thanks,

Mike Chancey,
'88 Civic EV
'95 Solectria Force
Kansas City, Missouri
EV List Photo Album at: http://evalbum.com
My Electric Car at: http://www.geocities.com/electric_honda
Mid-America EAA chapter at: http://maeaa.org
Join the EV List at: http://www.madkatz.com/ev/evlist.html

<< 14 cells fully charged at nearly 60V, instead of the usual 56V, would be too
high a voltage for many 48V controllers such as my SRE unit. >>

Wow, glad I read your post! The 4QD controller in my eLamby could handle 15
li-ion cells without hesitation, and I was looking at a 48V SRE unit from
cloudelectric.com for another scooter, but if it has such little voltage
headroom, I won't do it. By the way, 4QD lists a 68V absolute max for their
latest/largest 48V model, and 72V for the Scoota, which is a good choice for
(dare I say it) scooters!

This scooter currently has a 225A (probably uses 10-20% of the rating) GolfTech
controller but I was hoping to add regen to help with weak OEM brakes. Curtis
lists 64V OVL for the PM model (which retails for more than the 4QD
equivalent), but I can't find the official word on series models.

One thing about li-ions, when you take them off the charger, the voltage doesn't
drop anything like it does with PbAc, so it's more "what you see is what you
get". Don't know how this would effect OVL in a controller with regen, but the
voltage doesn't have to go over 4.2V/cell to get them fully charged.

> I have noticed that the Chevy S-10 Blazer has about the same wheelbase and
> track as many kit cars.  Thus my thoughts, if I had time and money, would be
> to find an llight, aerodynamic kit car and adapt it to the truck chassis.

...the word is not plastics, it's rodster (dot com)!

johnk wrote:
> What about using a cap-bank in between the batteries and controller?

Pretty much all controllers already have a big capacitor bank on their
inputs. It's there to reduce noise and so the batteries don't have to
provide the high peak currents as the controller switches on/off.

Increasing the size of this capacitor bank arbitrarily wouldn't really
add anything. The voltage on a capacitor has to change for it to
charge/discharge. Batteries are basically a constant-voltage source, and
so fight any voltage change. Thus, the capacitors never really store or
return any energy.

For capacitor energy storage to work, you need a separate DC/DC
converter. During charging, it converts the constant voltage from AC
power, batteries or generator into a variable capacitor voltage, 0 to
max. During discharging, it converts the variable capacitor voltage to
whatever voltage is needed by the motor/controller. This is an expensive
extra bit of hardware.
has!" -- Margaret Mead
--
Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377  leeahart_at_earthlink.net

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I was refering to an SRE SC325 900 Amp programmable controller. I don't know if other models have similar over-voltage limits. This limit is probably set as one of its safety features. Lots of parameters could be re-programmed, like low battery cut-off, but I didn't see this one in the manual.

Regards,

Doug

[...]

--- Begin Message --- Don't know why I said 18 cells, Cedric is only using 14 to give him close to 48v nominal.

Paul Compton www.sciroccoev.co.uk

Ummm er.... I doubt 10s...
I would be happy with high 12s.
Prudence says 14s and no busted parts....

10s will take a very well prepped ICE drive train, and more Hp than anyone
of us has made to date.
And that includes Dennis and the Rail dragster guys.
I am bold but not that foolish....

The Ranger with a narrowed 9 incher tube frame rear end, or the
Mustang/Crapie are a much better starting point for real 10 seconds and a
still be street legal. Wayland's White Zombie is a much better bet, Heck I
would lay money on him, not me.

10s is 500 Hp to the wheels, and less than 3000lbs. I don't see that
happening with anything that resembles our current Brushes and UBer amp
racing styles...
Maybe AC and super lightened chassis, and Just enough Hawkers to get the job
done.
I just don't see killer battery packs being given to those of us without
real hardcore Sponsors.

Keep in mind 500 hp and stuffed into a Super comp chassis would be almost
twice the HP that Dennis Berube uses. If I had that kind of Hp in the Can..
I wouldn't
put it into a 85 vintage Fiero.....

The plans for the Fiero are for John Wayland and Otmar to worry about, not
Dennis and Ken and, Eric, and Jim to worry about.
I was working on the Fiero before I went up to Bellingham and worked for
DCP, So... it's been around a while.

I need a chassis that is not rusting out from under the Battery pack, and
revered as a flying Science project...I also wouldn't mind a all weather EV
with some range.