        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Simple First Conversion Query
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: DC to DC question
        by James Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Fwd: Re: motor mounts
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Electravan 750 (Ford Courier)
        by Electro Automotive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Electravan 750 (Ford Courier)
        by James Jarrett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: Electravan 750 (Ford Courier)
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Jeep EV (Battery LED, Raptor controller questions)
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Orbital SOC - what is full?
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re:  Electravan 750 (Ford Courier)
        by "Tim Humphrey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Electravan 750 (Ford Courier)
        by James Jarrett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Simple First Conversion Query
        by "Roy LeMeur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Follow-up on Valence Li-Ion batteries in 12V size
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: Follow-up on Valence Li-Ion batteries in 12V size
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Another EV Joins the Wayland Fleet
 20) Re: Electravan 750 (Ford Courier)
 21) RE: Follow-up on Valence Li-Ion batteries in 12V size
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Follow-up on Valence Li-Ion batteries in 12V size
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) RE: Follow-up on Valence Li-Ion batteries in 12V size
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 24) "very important that you allow the battery to gas"?
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) RE: Follow-up on Valence Li-Ion batteries in 12V size
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) RE: Planatery gear set
        by "Chris Tromley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 08:10:07 -0700, Ryan Bohm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>It turns out the outlet I used can't dish out the full 20+ amps the PFC
>charger wants.  I have to turn the dial down some.  If it is all the way
>up, the breaker will pop after about 10 minutes.  I even replaced the
>breaker with a new one.  It didn't seem to help.  I verified that there
>were no other loads on that circuit.

You can safely install a larger breaker.  The NEC ampacity tables are
extremely conservative, allowing for extreme conditions such as the wire
being embedded in the insulation in an unvented attic.  When the wire is
exposed or buried in earth, much more current can be handled without
overheating.  A couple of examples:  I routinely conduct in excess of 80
amps through 10 ga wire when feeding my concession stands.  The wire is
exposed, laying on the ground.  It gets warm but not hot to the touch.
Another example.  I make neon as a hobby.  The bombarder that heats and
processes the neon tube prior to filling with gas is a 20kva pole
transformer run in reverse.  I feed it with a 100 amp 240 volt service.
It is wired with 10-3 stapled to a concrete block wall.  The bombarder
pulls a bit more than 100 amps at full load, occasionally tripping the
breaker.  Yet the wire barely warms to the touch.  The block wall is a
good heat sink.

>I wanted a 240V outlet that could easily dish out the 20 amps.  My only
>option (and I'm still considering it) is to time share the dryer
>outlet.  I'd have a switch that would only allow either the dryer or
>charger to be running at any time.  My wife even gave her approval for
>that!  I asked since it would require flipping the switch to run the
>dryer.

You can make this switch-over automatic at no more cost than a switch.
Get a suitably rated current type AC compressor starting relay.  This
relay has a coil that is wound with  just a few turns of heavy wire.  It
is designed to cut out the starting winding when the starting current
drops below a certain value.  Wire it so that the PFC current flows
through the coil and the dryer current flows through the contact (you may
need a logic reversing relay if you can't find a current relay with a NC
contact).  Whenever the PFC is drawing current the dryer circuit is open.
When the PFC turns off the dryer is automatically energized.

This type of relay is available at any motor repair, AC supply or
appliance parts house.  Cost should be under $10.

>The main thing that has stopped me from doing that setup is that
>I'd lose my outlet outside.  If I had run a 10/4 cable, I think I could
>have tapped 120V off of it.

All you need to do is buy a length of green 10 ga single conductor THHN
type wire and run a ground path along side the 10-3.  Cheap and simple.

> I would also have to install a GFCI breaker
>in the breaker box.  I would not charge outside without a GFI breaker.
>I've already come close to making a mistake that could zap me good
>without one.  No matter how careful you are, you still shouldn't skip
>using viable safety measures.

You know, I've been reading these threads about non-isolated chargers and
I have to say that I'm quite uncomfortable with the concept.  A GFI might
save your life but it still permits sufficient current to pass to cause
you to hurt yourself, perhaps fatally if you happen to have a weak heart.

A number of years ago I decided to test a GFI on myself.  I was curious
and I had bought off way too much on the propaganda about how well they
work.  I was used to testing potentially "hot" conductors by brushing them
with the back of my hand.  With good insulated boots and the other hand in
the pocket, one gets a little tingle.  On the odd occasion when the boots
are damp or some other ground path exists, the muscle contraction in the
arm jerks the hand away within a cycle or two.

Anyway, I gripped a ground wire against my palm with my little finger and
brushed the GFI-protected hot wire with the back of my hand.  It knocked
me on my ars!  The GFI tripped but it let through probably a cycle or two.
It felt like someone hit my hand with a baseball bat!  I would NOT have
wanted that current to have passed through my body and across my heart.

I'm afraid that if I were using a PFC or other non-isolated charger I'd
have to have an isolation transformer in the circuit.  yeah, they're
expensive and bulky but they will save a life or injury.  Besides, they're
cheap used/salvage.

John De Armond
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://bellsouthpwp.net/j/o/johngd/
Cleveland, Occupied TN

There are contests to see how fast a team of two people can replace an air
cooled vw engine.  I think the record for just removing the gas engine is
under 5 minutes.  4 bolts, gas line, a few wires, and don't forget the
throttle cable :-)

- Steven Ciciora

> I know that removing and replacing a normal (internal combustion) engine
> on a VW Beetle can be done in a couple of hours (or less) with two
> people (mostly for lifting).  It simply bolts to the transmission.
>
> Since the electric has less connections, you probably can do it in an
> hour.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- No, this isn't it. It is a Jet Electra, but unless I have read/heard wrong the electravan 750 is something more like this:

http://www.eilishoils.com/media/images/eng_pics/ford/courier/ford_courier.jpg

Markus L wrote:
Here is a picture (I think, found it with google):
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum//142.html