  1) Re: DIY Controller? (DIY Motor)
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Simple First Conversion Query
        by Reverend Gadget <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Follow-up on Valence Li-Ion batteries in 12V size
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Sundancer whereabouts?
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) DIY Controller
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) (re)introduction
        by Frank Schmitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Refining Hybrid truck
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: (re)introduction
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) ~OT - 500 amp load tester
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: (re)introduction
        by "bholmber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: (re)introduction
        by "John Bryan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) KISS AC EV Drive System
        by russco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Charging in an apartment
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Refining Hybrid truck
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: ~OT - 500 amp load tester
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Simple First Conversion Query
        by Jude Anthony <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Simple First Conversion Query
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: KISS AC EV Drive System
        by Martin K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: New 600-1,000 amp controllers,   Was: Controller overvoltage headroom,
Re: TS cell info
        by "Doug Hartley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: KISS AC EV Drive System
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Sundancer whereabouts?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Sundancer whereabouts?
        by "David Chapman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Fwd: Trying to locate all Chevrolet Electric S-10 & Saturn EV1
Dealers/service centers.
        by Ivan Workman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: The Amazing Little Hawkers.
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Ni Cad Charging
 26) Re: The Amazing Little Hawkers.
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: The Amazing Little Hawkers.
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Victor Tikhonov wrote:

Sure, people do all kind of things. Lot of time for questionable
improvement (vs. buying a motor for the job) makes sense only
if that time worth little.

Or if you don't have the money.

Money is not relevant if the result cannot be achieved.
Of ciurse if the foal is "just do the best you can with
X dollars available" than *any* tiny improvement is better than
nothing and so you *always* achieve the goal to make something
better (and brag about it!).

If it would be that easy and effective, we'd see it being
done by now on regular basis. Why don't we?

Actually, you do! A city of any size has a shop that rebuilds motors.

I meand people on the list buying industrial AC motors and rewinf/modify them the way you prescribe.

> It's the same as car mechanics. You can change your own oil; the oil and
filter is only $10 at Walmart. Or you can take it to the dealer, who
will charge you $50. Both have the same end result. Which do you want to
save; time or money?

The big difference is amount of knowledge you need to do it right (right means outcome worth the effort). For your analogy if the oil cap can only be undone by writing special code and using special equipment/process (this is what AC drive making involves), very few would be capable of doing that no matter how much they want to.

If one would know how much calculation and tweaking of inter-related
parameters is happening in design stage (a software for the matching
inverter involved too, it must contain a model for *that* motor),
one would drop this idea.

Victor, I think you are making it sound a lot harder than it really is. A plain old cheap off-the-shelf motor is going to be around 80%
efficiency. Or, you can buy an ultra-super state-of-the-art special with
every trick known to science that is 90% efficient -- for 10 times the
price. Is 10% more efficiency worth 10 times the price? Probably not.

Well, you make it sound a lot easier than it is. Yes, this motor will move your car. Move "good enough". If this is the goal, you are right.

BAck to basics: corollas move people "good enough", no slower
than BMWs and Mercedeses which are x5 to x10 cost. Why people
buy those? They may be reacher than average on this list, but
no one throws money away for nothing.

And, if you are willing to do the work yourself and do some
experimenting, you can get half the efficiency gain (85%) for maybe
twice the cost of a cheap motor. To lots of people, that is a good deal!

I'm not arguing that it is good deal, and would attempt it
if no alternatives I could afford would exist. So, as you said,
it is time vs money question, provided one is willing to accept
less than the/she wants.

If you shop for BMW and want it for $30k you have to decide
what gives if that is not possible. THey may offer it for $35k,
but offer Camry for $30k. In theory, you should not settle for
Camry since this is not what you really wanted. Drop the idea,
because having BMW for $30k is impossible.

IF you settle for Camry, then it doesn't matter what do you really
want in the first place, you're ready to accept "something" to move
you from A to B for under 30K. Nothing wrong with such compromise,
but my point is outcome of shopping has nothing to do with your
original shipping goal. Your efforts to achieve *your* goal yielded
nothing. And you accepted it.

Some won't. Some will.

I like this spirit, but from the engineering stand
point it is often just demonstration of ignorance.

Einstein said, "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge
is limited. Imagination encircles the world." and "Knowledge of what is
does not open the door directly to what should be. The only source of
knowledge is experience."

So, we do not want to rely on the "experts" that are building today's
motors to define what is possible. We need to do our own experiments,
and learn for ourselves. That is how new discoveries will be made!

Sure. If I only keep imagining something, I'd never drive.

When I started, I had 8" ADC in my CRX, Cirtii and 10 Trojan 27 TMH,
standard beginner's setup: http://metricmind.com/dc_honda/car.htm.

My goal was to drive EV. Not to have OEM grade EV, just EV.
Trust me, when I was done I was happiest in the city, I'd never
trade this poor CRX for latest Mercedes (even if from money
stand point Mercedes worth parts for 5 CRXes; didn't matter).

If my goal back then was to have AC EV with LiIon batteries,
I should have dropped this idea, because settling for less
(good enough), wasn't the goal. Whether original wish list was
realistic or not, is different issue.

Of course, in real life you must bend your wishes and *real* goals
aligning them with reality of your income, family, other unavoidable aspects of life. How much to compromise original truly real goal
is up to you.

And up to those who will rewind that 60 Hz motor :-)

I did that race once back in the early 80's. You start
behind a 20ft line with tools and jack in hand. at the
start you and you partner run up to the car, jack it
up, put it on stands, drop the motor, drag it behind
the line and back, put it back in the car,connect the
throttle and fuel line, raise the car, pull the
stands, drop the car, then start it up and back it
over the line. Luckily you dont have to hook up the
heater boxes. My best time was around 4 minutes 40
seconds. last time I checked it was down to 4 minutes
11 seconds. an electric motor should be a piece of
cake.

                         Gadget

=====
visit my website at www.reverendgadget.com

I was going to say that this is true for other chemistries,
but forgot. Yes, but I believe for PbA it is rather drastic
change. If you spend 25Ah out of optima and it is at min voltage,
another 25Ah (C/20 rating) are perhaps still there, but
C/20 is just 2.5A. So you cannot even move at 2.5A.

In You can perhaps use 30A to drive 10 mph to get another
5Ah out (get you less than a mile), than 10A for another
2Ah. The remaining capacity may be also there, but you
indeed can't take it out at any *still usable for driving*
rate. With LiIons this is more gradual process and you
can *drive* until last 5-6 Ah are there. Not that it is good
idea....

So, in strict theory you are right.

Victor

But in ther

Roger Stockton wrote:

Victor Tikhonov [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I stand by what I said: a TS cell capacity will not decrease
at higher discharge rate. That is differnt from what you're implying (that at discharge must sease when you hit 2.7V per cell). This is true, but if by then you spend only 20Ah out of 100Ah cell and it is already at 2.7V under your load so you cannot drive anymore (will happen at -20'C) that doesn't mean you don't have remaining 80% capacity in that cell.

The cell haven't lost it, you just cannot take it out at
the rate you wish. If you discharge slower, you WILL take
all the Ah out, which proves that you haven't *lost* any.

Yes, too bad you can't drive at that rate, so you may argue that "for all practical EVer's purpose" you don't have Ah available. Well, not quite true - you still can creep along at 25 mph for another may be 50 miles! You wouldn't be able to do that if capacity is truly lost (energy just not there).

This is all true, Victor, however, it is just as true for the Optima YT
or any other battery: a YT (or other PbA) cell also does not *lose*
capacity at higher rates; you simply cannot take it out at that rate.
Decrease the discharge rate and you will find yourself able to pull
almost the full C/20 rated capacity from the battery.  There is no
difference with a TS cell in this regard.

The only differences may be that the TS cell shows less reduction in
available capacity at a given rate (e.g. 100A) than does a YT (but is
this because of the different chemistry or just because 100A is C/2 for
a 200Ah cell and 2C for a 50Ah one?), and the TS cell is *ruined* if you
exceed the recommended end-of-discharge voltage while a YT *may* be
wounded by discharging it below the normal 'safe' limit.

McCulloch?  Would this be the company that I know of that
makes chainsaws or another company?  If so, how did they get
involved in EV's?

http://www.mccullochpower.com/

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Do you get more torque with higher slip and a wound rotor than reducing slip on a cast rotor? I was under the impression that rotor design is always a compromise basically designed for an RPM,; although because of differing penetration you can make the design sesitive to rpm so it is a deep bar at low freq but is a teardrop or T shape to increase eff at higer rpm which has a shallower field.

Does it make a controller easier to build if it only has to vary the HZ over a smaller range? or perhaps 6 set frequenies and a slip energy control in between each "gear"

How much different are AC wound rotors and DC wound rotors , instead of comm-bars at each coil junction, it is 3 phase windings every third one to the same slip ring
Slip rings don't "commute" so they would really last.

Have you ever seen a small one? do they make them? I think they would be the best motor for EV drag racing allowing optimum characteristics at every rpm.
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I've been a member of this list before, and after heading over to the Dark Side for a couple of years (playing around with AWD turbo Mazdas) I'm messing around with EVs again.

Between the holidays I put together my Three Wheel Dork Mobile, a little electric scooter that'll hopefully go up on the EV photo album soon. It's a mountainboard (basically a skateboard on steriods) with the rear truck hacked off and replaced with a hub motor mounted in an old BMX bike fork. It's got force sensors under the front and back of the deck that control the acceleration and braking, so you steer it and control it with your feet, leaving your hands free to wave at all the people laughing at you. Right now it's slowly moving from "traveling science project" to "potentially useful vehicle." I'm toying with riding it to work, except that it's supposed to snow tomorrow. That and the turing radius is something like 40 feet (anyone have experience giving skateboard trucks a "quicker" ratio?).

I've also got a '69 Volkswagen Fastback sitting in my parents' garage waiting to be media blasted and painted, but that'll have to wait until I unload my current ICE project car. It's going to get parts from some previous and ultimately ill-fated conversions, namely an XP-1263 motor, Curtis Whiner controller, Zivan charger and 144V of some kind of SLA batteries.

Looking forward to catching up on the state of the art...

-Frank
small clarification, 96 and newer.

I just happen to own a 95 grand am which is the "bastard" year 8192 baud ALDL ,not obd-II, it was what GM thought OBD-II was gonna be. Even our dealer didn't have the scanner for the car

I believe he federal government enforeced OBD-II starting with the 96 models
I can't buy a scanner from autozone or whatever, but it is simple to build. For those of us with 95 and older GM's

http://www.techedge.com.au/vehicle/aldl8192/8192hw.htm
From: "Frank Schmitt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: (re)introduction

>That and the turing radius is something like 40 feet
>(anyone have experience giving skateboard trucks a
>"quicker" ratio?).

See the "kingpin"?

http://www.skateluge.com/atruck.gif

Loosen it and it will turn sharper.

Maybe this could be of use to someone that does testing and
R&D work on controllers?  Maybe even chargers too?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=91129

Hey Frank,
What if you put the drive wheel in front, then you could maybe use the rear
of the board to pop the front up and whip it around.  I guess weight might
be an issue there though.  Loosening the trucks will allow you to carve a
little more, but will get real scary due to oscillation if you get going too
fast.  I almost lost it on my downhill board doing about 30-40mph, that was
pretty damn scary.

Brett