  1) palm
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Palm Keyboard
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Insight, NiZn or LiIon batteries
        by Gary Graunke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Interesting article on Usatoday for EV hybrids
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Zilla /palm (better serial terminal?)
        by Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: My Battery Pack Specifications
        by Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: Insight, NiZn or LiIon batteries
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Zilla /palm (better serial terminal?)
        by "Don Cameron \(New Beetle EV\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: High voltage EV audio system
        by Shawn Rutledge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: ETEK problem found.
 11) Re: ETEK problem found. (extreem cooling?)
 12) Re: My Battery Pack Specifications
        by "Andrea Bachus Kohler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Zilla /palm (better serial terminal?)
        by "Steve Clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: Basic electronic controller question (higher battery voltage, than
motor voltage?)
        by "Markus L" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: Basic electronic controller question (higher battery voltage, than
motor voltage?)
        by "Markus L" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: ETEK problem found. ( disassemble )
        by Lightning Ryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Insight, NiZn or LiIon batteries
        by "Doug Hartley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Zilla /palm (better serial terminal?)
        by Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: My Battery Pack Specifications
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 20) Re: homen made contactor
        by "David Chapman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: My Battery Pack Specifications
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 22) Re: 1999 electro truck
        by "David Chapman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Noisy adapter plate/trans. etc. in CivicWithACord
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Noisy adapter plate/trans. etc. in CivicWithACord
        by Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- Well All be a son of a gun. I have a palm-phone and I never new about that grafitti help. thanks But my keyboard screen does have a return symbol on it.

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.8.0 - Release Date: 1/27/2005

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- There is an Infrared keyboard for Palms that would keep the port available. Last one I saw was at ratshack but it was overpriced.

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.8.0 - Release Date: 1/27/2005

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Well, I've been driving the Insight since April 2003 (started conversion in Sep 2002). I'm really happy with the efficiency of the Insight: 5 mi/KWH on the freeway, 6-8 mi/KWH for most driving 35-45 mph, and not quite 10 mi/KWH going around the block at school zone speeds. If anything, the biggest problem is the low GVWR. I'm about 200 lbs over the orginal weight with 466 lbs of 38AHC10 Hawkers and the 48-lb PFC50, and running about an inch lower in the back. (No suspension or brake work so far).

I originally planned it for Evercel MB80's after seeing Sheer's car at Woodburn 2002. However, when the MB80's actually came out, they were a bit wider than spec--they would not fit in my battery box that replaces the OEM battery box and motor controller in the back.

The TS LiIon's seem to carry a lot of energy per pound, but you can't get it out of them fast enough for EV work (low power). I'm taking an very cautious approach--I've spent more on lab equipment to study them than on the batteries!

However, with either ultracaps or a high power string in parallel, they should be able to get good range. Some others have done this already. I plan to prove it on the bench before putting them in the car.

Aside from being way to busy at work, I am still waiting for a good BMS with data collection capabilities and a thermal management (heating and cooling) before deploying. I at least want to know how I killed them... ;-)

Seriously, my main concern is that we learn how to take care of them to get the long life (and economic benefit) that should be possible with them as well as the extended range.

Gary

Victor wrote:

> John Westlund wrote:

> > Maybe I've been lusting over Wayland's Insight proposal for
> > too long then. With aero upgrades done to many EVs, my
> > planned GT6 conversion would be about as aerodynamic, with
> > such a small 15 square foot frontal area. Stock Cd is only
> > 32.
>
> Gary Graunke has done about what John Wayland was proposing,
>and I believe is pretty happy with outcome.
> Not quite the same drive system (better matching Insight
> in my view), but use lead for now waiting for LiIons.
> Evercells are way too bulky for such a tiny car, even though
> are light.

> You need to pick the battery with better volumetric energy
> density than NiZn ones. With high enough voltage, battery power
> is not taht much of a concern - NiZn easily would pull Insight
> as battery currenct would never exceed 150A or so.
> (Statement does not apply to John of course).

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/techinnovations/2005-01-28-plugged-in-hybrids_x.htm

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- At 2:42 PM -0600 1-28-05, Ryan Stotts wrote:
In regards to the serial connection, what about long term?
Years from now.  Have you looked into USB or Firewire?

USB is difficult for a small manufacturer to implement. I also don't know of any USB terminal programs. Remember, I'm trying to do this simple and inexpensive. I find people don't want to spend an extra thousand dollars just to adjust settings. :-)
Fortunately there are many USB to RS-232 converters available for about $30. So us Apple users can still access it.

And Firewire, as much of an Apple fan that I am, I can't see it being practical for such a use.

Bluetooth maybe someday...

At 6:07 PM -0500 1-28-05, Neon John wrote:
>I suspect I could allocate half a K of ROM to such a interface. Do
you think XML is the kind of thing that could be implemented in 500
bytes of ROM?

No, definitely not. XML is one of those faddish solutions that is mostly looking for a problem. Think "very verbose, slobbery HTML".

XML is, IMHO, little more than a conspiracy to sell faster hardware, more
memory and more bandwidth.  Definitely NOT applicable here.

Sounds like an extension of Microshaft. :-)

I appreciate your perspective John.

<1> file menu
   <2> open file
   <3> save file
   <4> delete file
   <5> rename file.

Each command is also assigned a globally unique number.  If there is a
user on the terminal, he can either enter the first letter of the command
or the number.  frequently used commands that are down several menu levels
can be executed directly by number.  I provide a command to change the
dialog from "verbose" (human readable) to "compact" (numbers only).

Nice. I can see how it might get a bit inelegant if commands are added in the future. Once would like all the numbers to be consecutive, but that may change since I think it would be more important to keep hold of backward compatibility.

At 3:13 PM -0800 1-28-05, Don Cameron wrote:
What I find is useful, if the controller or device could simply output
well-published ASCII information, then it is easy for a palm, PocketPC,
computer, etc. to read.  XML is a little overkill for the output of a
device.

That was my first thought.
It is clearly a case of doing everything possible to offload the processing to the other processor since it is much more powerful and cheaper. I imagine a rev number that can be recalled so that the connecting device can know if it is up to date with the current menu.

XML is much nicer to read, and much easier for PC or PocketPC or Palms to
read, but at 9600 baud it will be slow.  An this is only for two parameters.

Now if you do run into memory constraints, scrap the ASCII and go straight
for binary output.  A lot of devices do this and it is not too bad.
Continuing with the above example, in hex:

56 00 F0
41 00 6E
56 00 F0
41 00 69
56 00 F0
41 00 64

This is close to what I do now for the data acquisition function. I send ten lines of hex data per second. With some of my longer lines of data even this pushes the capacity of 9600 baud. But in my case the data is predefined with one value per byte. Once again it requires outside documentation. In the future, I'd like to make the command that starts the operation determine which data is on a line. This would allow more flexibility of the interface.

At 3:22 PM -0800 1-28-05, Steve Marks wrote:
Wow, a whole half a K! I feel like a king! =o)

Must be a windows programmer! :-)
I just HAD to get that jibe in here somewhere. :-) Ooops, so sorry about the politics.. :-o

Actually, I suppose it *could* be implemented in half a K.  The largest
consumer of memory would probably just be the tag names.

I'm using the term XML here pretty loosely.  Basically, I just mean
marked up text.  For instance, the following might be a stream of XML
that an application could send the Zilla to tell it to set the Motor Amp
Limit to 800 amps, the Battery Voltage Limit to 170 volts and return
with the current Motor Voltage Limit:

<SET><MAL>800</MAL><BVL>170</BVL></SET><GET><MVL/></GET>

To which the Zilla might respond:

<MVL>150</MVL>

For this interface you'd need storage space for the SET, GET, MAL, BVL
and MVL tags plus some simple parsing code.  Depending on the number of
tags and how terse you can keep their text, it might just fit in that
space.

Hmmm, It looks a bit complicated. With my current format it only processes one command at a time (and it does not respond at all while it's busy driving). Your example command wouldn't even fit in my input buffer! But that's not saying it can't be done, I was just saving the large buffer space for the future EVIL bus control. There may still be room for both. Anyway, I suspect your system would work just as well running one command at a time. That would be easier to fit.

Note, since every XML operation begins with a '<' character, your
teletype interface could simply forward any string received to the XML
parser if it began with '<' and process the others the same as it does
now.  The result would be two separate interfaces simultaneously
available.

That's good, it certainly needs to be available to the text interface as a default. You have to realize that most customers have enough of a challenge learning the regular text interface. They would do better not knowing anything more exists.

The XML interface could even be tested through the teletype
interface by having the user type the XML in directly, though I can't
imagine the graffiti stroke that does <, / and >  ;o)

I guess you've never used graffiti then! They are actually quite simple. Tap once for "punctuation shift" then draw them starting at the bottom.

----------------------

Lots of great thoughts presented here. Thank you all, I appreciate them and I've learned somethign new.
I can see how some type of XML like interface may work. But clearly it has way too much overhead for effective data acquisition. So once again we'll end up with some bastardization of a standard. Sounds like embedded programming to me! :-)

--
-Otmar-

http://www.CafeElectric.com/  Home of the Zilla.
http://www.evcl.com/914  My electric 914

 Just for kicks, I'm going to throw this out to see if anything exists
that can meet it.

13,000 wh deliverable to @80% DOD, voltage sag to no less than 260 volts
300+ nominal voltage
300a peak discharge for 15 seconds, voltage sag to no less than 80%
100a continuous discharge
operate as above from -10 to 50 degrees C
800 pounds maximum weight
$1.75 per amp-hour maximum cost, including BMS, etc.

Uh, That would be a total pack cost of $75.83. Ya, I think we'd all like that!

--
-Otmar-

http://www.CafeElectric.com/  Home of the Zilla.
http://www.evcl.com/914  My electric 914

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Seems like you've already figured out the best way to preserve their lives. Just leave them out of the car and test them for years ;-)

The TS LiIon's seem to carry a lot of energy per pound, but you can't get it out of them fast enough for EV work (low power). I'm taking an very cautious approach--I've spent more on lab equipment to study them than on the batteries!
Aside from being way to busy at work, I am still waiting for a good BMS with data collection capabilities and a thermal management (heating and cooling) before deploying. I at least want to know how I killed them... ;-)

Seriously, my main concern is that we learn how to take care of them to get the long life (and economic benefit) that should be possible with them as well as the extended range.

Gary

Otmar, I like your direction, stick to it.

As long as you continue to output the ASCII or byte data on RS232 you will
**always** be in good shape.  Either add a hardware option, or leave it to
others to build a hardware option, to take that serial data and pump it out to
Bluetooth or USB.  This will leave your device in the most flexible position.

So for those who want USB, just as you say, get a serial to USB adapter for
$20.

Want to bluetooth to send the data to a local PocketPC or Palm Pilot, or maybe
maybe someone wants to use firewire?  No big deal, just get a protocol
converter or a wireless device to send the data out into the ether.  This
stuff is available off the shelf.

As for the user interface, maybe provide a basic, easy to to build (for you)
interface, which works on a common platform.  But this is not an absolute
requirement, if you publish the spec, I am **sure** there are a few geeks out
there (like me) who can easily interpret the data and display it on a whiz
bang user interface.

As an example, Siemens, transmits all its data (as binary) from the controller
to a monitor PC, via RS232.  A couple of issues with their implementation:

1.  they do not publish the protocol
2.  the control program uses DOS, which works best on a 486

As for the protocol, we are slowly starting hack it.  As for the 486, I think
they can step into the world of Windows types interfaces. Java works well with
MS, Mac and Unix  and .Net works just fine with MS platforms.

The point is, by publishing your protocol and using the lowest common
denominator (RS232), it will have the most flexibility to support the most
amount of people.

That is how Linux, Java and the IBM PC became so darn popular.

Don

Victoria, BC, Canada

See the New Beetle EV Conversion Web Site at
www.cameronsoftware.com/ev/

Quoting Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> [...]
> as a default. You have to realize that most customers have enough of
> a challenge learning the regular text interface. They would do better
> not knowing anything more exists.
>
> >The XML interface could even be tested through the teletype
> >interface by having the user type the XML in directly, though I can't
> >imagine the graffiti stroke that does <, / and >  ;o)
>
> I guess you've never used graffiti then! They are actually quite
> simple. Tap once for "punctuation shift" then draw them starting at
> the bottom.
>
> ----------------------
>
> Lots of great thoughts presented here. Thank you all, I appreciate
> them and I've learned somethign new.
> I can see how some type of XML like interface may work. But clearly
> it has way too much overhead for effective data acquisition. So once
> again we'll end up with some bastardization of a standard. Sounds

That sounds like a great idea to me, since most amps have step-up DC/DC
converters inside.  Why deal with the inefficiency of going down to 12V
and back up?  But it would probably have to have a buck-mode DC/DC
inside anyway, and the amp itself be designed to work at a relatively
low voltage (low for EVs, say 60V - but with that voltage you aren't
going to "blow all other systems away" either) but its power supply
would accept input over a wide range (72-400V or so).  It would first
convert the incoming voltage to the lower voltage (and achieve power
isolation in the process), and run the amp with that.

Or, maybe it would be possible to design a class D amp which actually
works directly with a wide voltage range, because the amp itself is
doing the switching; as long as the waveform peak-to-peak which you are
sending to the speakers is less than the nice clean DC input voltage
(which of course has been conditioned with lots of filtering), it
should work.  I would call this design the "bad boy" of amplifiers.
:-)  If it ended up with no isolation from input to output, you'd have
to be especially careful not to inadvertently connect the ground of the
vehicle with either side of the pack, through the amp's input or output
connections.  Better to feed it with an optical input, I guess.

=====
. _______  Shawn T. Rutledge / KB7PWD [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 (_  | |_)    http://ecloud.org/  [EMAIL PROTECTED]