  1) A Drinking Problem
        by "Mark Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: OT Fringengineer? was Re: High Voltage - let go!
        by "Joe Strubhar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) fuel economy rating for cars
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: 42-volt starting batteries
        by "Raymond Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) OT Zap smart cars
        by "James F. Jarrett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: fuel economy rating for cars
        by Emil Naepflein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: OT Zap smart cars
        by Emil Naepflein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: OT Zap smart cars
        by "James F. Jarrett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: 42-volt starting batteries
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: OT Zap smart cars
        by Michael Hurley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: fuel economy rating for cars
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: 42-volt starting batteries
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: 500A battery load tester
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Sep-Ex supply-and-demand question, comments
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) No bids on the Siemens inverter and motor on Ebay
        by Paul Wallace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: fuel economy rating for cars
        by Emil Naepflein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: OT Zap smart cars
        by Emil Naepflein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: fuel economy rating for cars
 19) Re: 500A battery load tester
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: OT Zap smart cars
        by "James F. Jarrett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) New GBR auto ratings give only BEVs an "A"
        by Gravity Girl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: OT Zap smart cars
 23) Re: Sep-Ex supply-and-demand question, comments
        by Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) RE: OT Zap smart cars
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: OT Zap smart cars
        by Frank Schmitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Dyno Was: WarP 11 and 13 questions
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 27) Re: OT Zap smart cars
        by Electro Automotive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: 42-volt starting batteries
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Custom lightweight clutch and flywheel
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 30) Re: Dyno Was: WarP 11 and 13 questions
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
I have two Saft NI-Cad STM-180's I'm testing in my 20 6V battery pack and they
seam to use about 3x the water that the flooded wet cells use.  The main issue
is I can't see how full the cells are since they are in a pack and can't see
the sides of the batteries.  One I'm evaluating in the front if the vehicle is
visible and last night when watering, the distilled water goes in one end and
dribbles out the other.  The last cell was still down to the plates.  I put
water in the opposite end and the low cell filled up slowly (like the filling
valve was stuck).  How can you tell the water level on these batteries?  This
seams like a fundamental problem.  Mark

Actually, Roy, this guy is not on the fringe, although some of his
statements are questionable, in my opinion. I am an electrical contractor,
not an electrician (which simply means I don't know the NFPA code as well as
an electrician should!) The NFPA is NOT the definitive body on electrical
safety - they are a fire prevention body, and although they write the NEC,
there is a lot of stuff in the NEC that is not safety related, it is
political and at times totally ridiculous in terms of safety. I'd rather
take the advice of an older electrician, someone who's been around and seen
it all, than the advice of some young inexperienced engineer or someone from
the NFPA or someone with an axe to grind!

Joseph H. Strubhar

E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Web: www.gremcoinc.com
From: "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:27:19 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "M.G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu> Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2005 7:44 PM Subject: Re: 500A battery load tester

> Yes but at ten times the price.... > Mike G. > Ryan Stotts wrote: > > > Hi All;

I looked at their stuff, too. NO price evident! Guess they arehamed
to say it! If it's 10 times the price of the Harbor Fright one<g>! I'm about
to gofur the HF one, whatdoya think? I feel it would be worthwile thing for
all EVer's to be able to really wring out their batteries to find the bum
ones BEFORE being stranded. Well maybe not 500 amps but it sez that it is
adjustable, like a more on road 200 or so? Been happy with other HF stuff in
the past.

     Seeya

While inexpensive small cars *DO* exist in the US, the fact of the
matter is that most cars are in the 15-20k range and up.  In fact if you
go to most dealerships and ask what you can purchase in the 10-15K range
the either don't have anything, or they have to special order a
stripped-down, no option model.

One trick a lot of automotive retailers pull is they place an ad saying
something like "Full sized pickups starting at $9898."  But when you get
to their lot, they have exactly 1 at that price, it is a butt ugly color
and has -0- options.  This is on purpose.  The really sad part is just
TRY and buy that truck.  They won't sell it to you, because if they did,
their ad would now be a lie, seeing how the *NEXT* least expensive
fullsized truck on their lot is $15,999 or something equally crazy.

James

On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 12:26, Emil Naepflein wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 09:44:57 -0600, Michael Hurley wrote:
>
> > Scarily enough, that /is/ cheap for the American market. 12 - 15
> > grand would make it cheaper than almost anything short of the
> > ultra-cheap Asian econo-boxes like the low end Kias.
>
> I thought that with all the rebates most of the smaller cars have a
> similar price. And of course, the SMART has only two seats.
>
> Emil

Ratings show how green cars are

Cars will be rated via their CO2 emissions
A new scheme is being launched to tell drivers and car buyers how environmentally-friendly vehicles are.

Cars will be rated on a scale from A to F, based on their carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions - the same system already used for fridges.

Only electric vehicles get an A grade. Smaller cars score a C while 4x4 vehicles, such as Land Rovers and Range Rovers, score an F grade.

 However, some motoring experts say the government scheme is flawed.

Examples of which cars are in which grade

Under the Department for Transport's new rating system, no petrol or diesel car gains the A grade for being environmentally-friendly.

 Some smaller cars, such as the Ford Focus or Golf, gained a C grade.

 'Bowing to pressure'

Most large saloon cars are graded as "E".

Motoring journalist Steve Berry told the BBC there is a basic flaw in the scheme.

"I wonder if an internal combustion passenger car can ever been truly green," he said.

"I think it might just be a way of bowing to the pc lobby that seems to be intent on demonising 4X4s and the people that buy them and drive them."

He said if the industry was going to really help the environment, it needed to "move away from diesel and petrol" and "think seriously" about hydrogen-fuelled technology.

However, he added that all the elements that went into building a car caused more environmental damage than the car did during its whole working life. "The most damage to the environment that's ever done by a motor car is in its creation," he said.

Rating band
CO2 Emissions
Examples

 <100 g/km
 Battery electric vehicles

 101-120 g/km
 Toyota Prius 1.5 petrol-electric hybrid
Smart car 0.7 petrol
Citroen C2 1.4 diesel

 121-150 g/km
 Fiat Panda 1.2 petrol
Ford Ka 1.3 petrol
VW Golf 1.9 TDI diesel
Jaguar X-type 2.0 diesel saloon

 151-165 g/km
 Mini One 1.6 petrol, manual
Ford Fiesta 1.6i petrol
Peugeot 307 1.4 petrol

 166-185 g/km
 Ford Mondeo 1.8i petrol
Vaxhaul Vectra 1.8 petrol
Rover 75 1.8 petrol
Toyota Avensis 1.8 petrol

 >185 g/km
 Land Rover Freelander 2.0 diesel
Audi A4 1.6 petrol saloon
BMW X5 4.8 petrol
Jaguar X-type 2.0 petrol saloon automatic
Toyota RAV4 2.0 petrol
Lamborghini Murcielago 6.2 petrol

Source: Dept for Transport
CO2 emissions can vary significantly within the same model according to specification, fuel type and whether the car is manual or automatic

 --

La Bola Ocho Magica dice: TAL COMO LO VEO, SI
> Scarily enough, that /is/ cheap for the American market. 12 - 15
> grand would make it cheaper than almost anything short of the
> ultra-cheap Asian econo-boxes like the low end Kias.

Chevy, Pontiac, and Saturn all have cars available for less than $12,000.
In fact chevy has one for less than $10,000.  Hyundai and Kia both offer
sub $10K, and toyota has at least one for just over $10K.
There are about 40 different cars and trucks available for less than $15k.

Considering how small and light the Smart is, $12-15K seems a little steep
to me.

Now if it was Electric like it should be....

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- At 10:37 AM -0800 2-10-05, Lee Hart wrote:
Otmar wrote:
 I'm just now repairing an EVcort. 108V, regen up to 150A on the
 battery. Drives up to 400A. Sep Ex GE motor 11" motor...
 I think it's a nice system, and the car is very nice to drive,
 but as with my previous experience with Sep Ex and Regen systems
 it's got tradeoffs. Ther is no holy grail here.

Otmar,

Does the motor have interpoles or other compensating windings? If not,
then it is still going to have problems with the optimal brush timing
moving with current. I wouldn't expect it to be much (if any) better
than the same motor as a series motor with regen.

Lee,
As far as I can see, this one does not have interpoles, so yes, that is sure to be a contributing factor.

--
-Otmar-

http://www.CafeElectric.com/  Home of the Zilla.
http://www.evcl.com/914  My electric 914

The Smart is already available in Canada, though only the diesel version
is offered.  I wouldn't expect the US price to differ significantly.

If you go to the Smart Canada page, you can use the 'configurator' to
get an idea of price (in Canadian $), then convert to $US.  FWIW, it
appears the base price is C$16,500 (US$13,300) or C$19,500 for the
'cabriolet' version.  A member of our local EV group has one on order,
and as I recall it was up to about $18,000 (US$14,500) by the time he
added some options (such as the paddle shifter for the 6-speed
sequential tranny ;^).

<http://www.smart.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/mpc-ca-content-Site/
en_CA/-/-/SVCPresentationPipeline-Start?Page=issite://smart-Site/smart.c
om/RootFolder/smart/home.page>

>From what I understand, these vehicles are built such that the entire
powertrain drops out easily as a unit for servicing, which should make
it relatively easy to drop the diesel unit and replace it with an
electric one, even though you can't buy an EV version from the factory.
In theory anyway ;^>

Chevy, Pontiac, and Saturn all have cars available for less than $12,000.
In fact chevy has one for less than $10,000. Hyundai and Kia both offer
sub $10K, and toyota has at least one for just over $10K.
There are about 40 different cars and trucks available for less than $15k.

Considering how small and light the Smart is, $12-15K seems a little steep
to me.

Point taken. But it's a bit disingenuous to compare what in most important respects is a Mercedes to the stripper versions of the little econoboxes that GM and the Korean mfgs are cranking out ;).

They also don't get 70 mpg, or attract babes.

-Frank
If you are going to spend $250 you be better to get
a G tech pro RR ($299)http://www.gtechpro.com/rr.html

On my list of things to do to day. Jeg's is down the street.
Then we could show each other G tech slips and graph's.

Robert Salem

> Not exactly a real Dyno, but I ran accross this last night.
> http://www.auterraweb.com/
>
> This is the universal OBD-II interface and Palm software
> that I use in my Insight.  They have a NEW! Dyno Scan!
>
> I'm going to go home and update my old Scan-Only software
> to the new Dyno-Scan and see what it will do.  They say
> that it does engine HP/Torque, 0-60, 1/4 mile, and mileage.
>
> Anyway, I guess it doesn't do much good without OBD,
> just thought I'de mention it as yet another method.
> Might be cheaper and more accurate than other windshield Dynos.
>
> L8r
>   Ryan

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Are we talking about standard gas Smarts here, or electrics? Because the last I heard, Zap had (or was getting) the gas ones, but was still trying to figure out how to convert them to electric.

Shari Prange
Electro Automotive POB 1113 Felton CA 95018-1113 Telephone 831-429-1989
http://www.electroauto.com [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Electric Car Conversion Kits * Components * Books * Videos * Since 1979

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 09:26:07 -0500, "Raymond Knight"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>   First the 42-volt system is really what we would call 36volts. Second
>don't hold your breathe waiting for the 42volt systems ever see production.
>Though it is not dead-dead, it might as well be. The big players have halted
>completely or phased back their research quite a bit.

Yes, the same word I get from my contacts within the industry.

>   The biggest hurdle they found was the main fuse to the battery. When it
>blows it is more of a grenade than a fuse, so safety issues surrounding it
>are enormous. Break throughes in rectifier design in past couple of years
>have made the 42-volt system possible a non-necessity as well. With the
>advent of new stator designs, oil cooling, and Mosfet (sp?) rectifiers,
>engineers are now thinking 12 volt 400amp alternators are possible. Though
>the exist now, they are too bulky for most cars.

I haven't heard the fuse as a reason which is not to say it isn't one.
I'd be surprised, though, considering how mature low voltage fusing
technology is.

Reasons I've heard include cost, the expected difficulty of keeping a 36
volt battery equally charged (nothing new there for us), the (finally)
admission that a 12 volt subsystem could not be eliminated and would
therefore require dual systems and probably dual batteries and yowls from
the fringe of the public safety lobby about "high voltage cables".

 Another generally unverbalized but know by most involved is the specter
of civil liability gone wild.  How could one possibly make a new "high
voltage" (oh my!) system safe enough to escape the personal injury
industry?  This is different from the hybrids which contain their high
voltage systems nicely, in that the 42 volt power would be piped around
the car in pretty much the same way as 12 volts.  After some knucklehead
pried off whatever protective covers, touches a 42 volt conductor and
claims to have been injured, some scumbag personal injury lawyer would
shop courts in Alabama until he could find a 9 digit verdict.

One other consideration is that there seems to be a general mood of "let's
batten down the hatches and see what happens" for a year or two at least.
Ford, for example, just killed their large 3 valve "hemi killer" truck
engine because of "development costs".  In reality the costs were quite in
line with other such programs.  These moods come and go, sometimes very
quickly.

John De Armond
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://bellsouthpwp.net/j/o/johngd/
Cleveland, Occupied TN

>From all I've ever read about this company, I feel they
would be willing to make a "custom" aluminum flywheel.
Options like:  minus the starter ring gear and maybe even a
slight reduction in diameter so long as the pressure plate
still fit.

Scroll way down and look at that lightweight option for the
pressure plate:

http://www.specclutch.com/products.html

http://www.specclutch.com/

Check out the torque capacities for the various clutch
"stages" on the main page for your car.

>From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>If you are going to spend $250 you be better to get
>a G tech pro RR ($299)http://www.gtechpro.com/rr.html

>On my list of things to do to day. Jeg's is down the
>street.
>Then we could show each other G tech slips and graph's.

If you get one, after you post your results from it, you
could potentially mail it to someone on this list and after
they use it, mail it to another person ,and so on.  Could be
a way to get some quick hard numbers on various vehicles
using the same test device..  Something to consider atleast.