  1) Re: 42-volt starting batteries
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  2) Re: No bids on the Siemens inverter and motor on Ebay
        by "Christopher Robison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: No bids on the Siemens inverter and motor on Ebay
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Controller bypass question
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: 42-volt starting batterie-long and partly OT
        by "Raymond Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: 42-volt starting batteries
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Maniac Mazda more Street than White Zombie? OT: Zombie Range
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: OT Zap smart cars
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: OT Zap smart cars
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Electravan Aux. Battery.  The times have changed but are the batteries
better?
 11) Re: Maniac Mazda more Street than White Zombie? OT: Zombie Range
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Controller bypass question
 13) RE: 42-volt starting batterie-long and partly OT
 14) Re: 42-volt starting batteries
        by "Richard Furniss" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: No bids on the Siemens inverter and motor on Ebay
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: 42-volt starting batterie-long and partly OT
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Siemens inverter and motor on Ebay and other 3 phase motors
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Miscellaneous Set of EV Parts - eBay again!
        by "Jeff Dobereiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Smart EV and others
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: No bids on the Siemens inverter and motor on Ebay
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Controller bypass question- GE control
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Siemens inverter and motor on Ebay and other 3 phase motors
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: 42-volt starting batteries
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: OT Zap smart cars
        by Electro Automotive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: 500A battery load tester
        by "M.G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Controller bypass question- GE control
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: OT Zap smart cars
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Motor controller "idea" for sale on eBay
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 29) DCDC chip for e-meter
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 30) Re: What does ELIISA stand for?
        by Michael Hurley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 31) Re: Flooded NiCDs in parallel
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
In a message dated 2/10/05 12:00:04 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Let's not forget the 42-volt system's biggest connection to
 > the EV world that has already come and for the most part,
 > gone from us...the TMF batteries. The thin metal film lead
 > acid batteries that powered Maniac Mazda to scary 1/4 mile
 > times, the small Inspira 12V modules, were prototypes
 > designed for use in the 36V battery setup for the 42V system.
 > The batteries were lightweight and very compact but able to
 > supply HUGE cranking power. They were made for a limited
 > time. I still have one on the shelf as a momento of the
 > by-gone days, the period of EV drag racing where Bolder and
 > Inspira TMF batteries brought us the 8 second Current
 > Eliminator, the 9 second Killacycle, and the 11 second Maniac Mazda.

LETS NOT FORGET CIRCUIT BREAKER IT holds the 2nd quickest qt.mile run for an
EV.       Dennis Berube

For someone who does want AC power in a larger vehicle, it looks to me
like the inverter in question:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4525638887

plus one of these Ford motors:
http://tinyurl.com/3nby7

would make a decent relatively inexpensive combination... (?)

  --chris

Victor Tikhonov said:
> Wow, an entire section of my web page just copied and pasted on ebay.
> I don't mind, but not even sure if it is legal to do it,
> the site stating that it is copyrighted...
>
> No, this motor will not work well in Caravan - too little thermal
> reserve, despite water cooling. But inverter will since the same
> one used with 45kW rated motors (The one Carl is selling is 18 kW rated).
>
> Victor
>

> Paul Wallace wrote:
>> I see one of the Metricmind Siemens motors and controllers on Ebay with
>> about 1.5 days left and no bids.  The opening bid for both is in the
>> range of comparable DC motors and controllers.  Granted, it is the small
>> motor and the non integrated controller, but they look ideal for a small
>> car conversion.  I am suprised that no one is bidding yet.  I don't
>> think the motor has enough torque for a Dodge Caravan conversion, but I
>> could be wrong.
>>
>> Paul Wallace
>> '91 Chevy S-10 full of SAFT nicads.

The idea of an auction is to exploit human nature to be competitive,
otherwise you'd just do a sealed bid auction.

With this human nature in mind, it is of no benefit to you to enter a
bid on ebay any sooner than you have to. Bidding early just gives
others more time to outbid you. The trick is to use one of the
sniping services (http://www.esnipe.com or http://www.ezsniper.com)
that will enter your bid in the last few seconds.

The sniping services will make auctions more like Mark's ideal --
people will enter their max bid into the sniping service, and there
will be a flurry of activity in the last few seconds, with no time to
up your bid. It'll be de facto a sealed bid auction then.

EV content: I bid on one of the "Naked Gun" Fieros on Ebay, and got
outbid with about a minute to go by something like $20.

--- Mark Farver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The correct behavior on ebay is to bid the maximum you're willing
> to pay
> and be done with it.  However, most bidders do not completely grasp
> the
> proxy system (or at least don't bid like they do). Most bids are
> only a
> few bid increments above the current highest bid and buyers
> experiment
> with higher bids after rexamining other bidders activities.  The
> more
> likely a bidder feels their chances are to "save a bundle", the
> more
> likely they'll actually bid.
>
> In studies of ebay auctions the existence of a reserve price
> generally
> resulted in a lower final offer, and a much higher rate of auctions
> that
> closed with no bids at all.  Its hard to explain, and not at all
> logical, but most bidders do not want to enter their highest bid
> right
> away, and a "reserve not met" message is a strong damper on
> bidding.

=====

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

In a situation where the controller is bypassed, and the
motor is connected directly to the battery pack, how many
amps is the motor pulling in that situation?  I know it
depends on the size of the pack in use; but I would like to
know for the setup it's been done with.  Has only one person
on this list done it so far?

Basically, was the motor pulling more then 2,000 amps when
directly connected to the batteries?

Also, I keep seeing references that are giving me the
impression where the controller pulls X amps from the pack
and outputs Y to the motor, and somehow, Y is more then X?
How is that so?

I apologize for not being able to quote things properly, and responding all
in one email. One day I will figure out how to get my computer and this list
to work together. LOL.
The film batteries have been copied, or borrowed by Xstatic BatCap. Though I
don't think the performance they have is equal to the Bolder Cells. I also
could be wrong, not knowing the Bolder cells too well.
The safety issue of touching a 42-volt wire is not really any worse than
24volts. 42 volts was chosen as the highest usable voltage because the
charging systems can spike to 52 volts (I think, or close to this). Whatever
the upper threshold is, it is just below what can kill a human being on
contact. Going 48 volts would have made a lot more sense, if it wasn't for
this factor. No matter what voltage it is, there will always be idiots. The
US Navy released a memo telling mechanics not to insert the test leads from
a multi-meter into your skin to check internal resistance, as two guys died
from the 9volt battery.
As far as I know the 42-volt system was always going to have a 12volt system
as well. The 42-volt generator/motor was to be integrated with the flywheel,
and a regular alternator up front. Then with new LED technology rising, some
thought was given to discarding the 12-volt system. I think it is the
lighting that is the only problem with the higher voltages.
"8 second Current Eliminator, the 9 second Killacycle, and the 11 second
Maniac Mazda." I so dearly would love to see any one of these in action. I
brag about what you guys have done all the time, as well as Rod, Otmar, and
a few others. It has helped me get some big time ICE drag racers interested
in EV's. I finally put some customers on hold and started working on my
48-volt bike, it will be done this spring for sure. My main objective is the
100mph club. Next step after that is saving my pennies and getting a Zilla,
going to 144volts, and then chasing Mr. Dube. Also looking to do a door car.
Have a Street Racing Legend up here really interested in it. It will be zero
emissions, i.e. not all electric, and faster than ICE cars in its class. He
got really interested when I showed him how easy it would be to put
15,000+ftlbs to the rear wheels for launches. If my bike works this project
could happen quickly. But one step at a time for now.

So there is some hope for the future. Everyone seems to be getting faster
and faster, records were falling all over the place last year, including
mine. LOL. Rest assured I will be back for vengeance.

Chris Tromley wrote:

This gets back to a question I've raised before. How hard is it to make a battery? Any product has two main ingredients: what you do, and how you do it. The "how" is probably not hard. The materials should be available, and anything a hobbyist can't do should be easy to contract out. Even in small quantities. Even thin film metal deposition. The "what" is more in the realm of the electrochemists, but I'm thinking someone with an electrochemical background could use the patents as a starting point and come up with something racers and hobbyists would value.

If you could figure out what and how, you will just become another ordinary battery manufacturer.

If you want to only make a battery for yourself, set up costs
will far exceed the cost of the most exotic battery you can buy.

Same if you want to make a one off nice plastic enclosure case
(like those for GPS'es) and order the form for injection molding
to be used once or twice.

I work for a manufacturer which uses clean room environment.
If I'd be in charge and some one comes to me asking to make
one off thing, I'd most certainly ignore such request even
thiugh technically it is not difficult to execute. Not worth
to bother. And, you can't have clean [enough] room in your
garage, which is *required* for more-less decent batteries.

Not to discourage you, but align with reality.
Now, welcome to still try if you like - there is nothing
to stop anyone from trying, it may even work, but I think it
is better to know ahead of time what are you getting into
to make more educated decision.

Victor

'91 ACRX - something different.
>From: "Roger Stockton"

>OK; short circuit ratings *are* available for Hawker
>Genesis batteries
>(1400A for the G13, 1600A for the G16, and 2400A for the
>22.3lb G26).
>As I recall, John told me that the G13 (or was it G16?)
>interconnects
>fail at 750A for something like 10s (this data may have
>originated with
>Dennis Berube).

Has there been any attempt to contact the company that makes
these batteries to see if they would be willing to change
the battery to where it could sustain a short circuit rate
to full discharge?  Or at least get the interconnects to
hold up better?

http://www.enersysreservepower.com/productInfoDetail.asp?id=100&brandID=3

Harris, Lawrence wrote:

That would be me. I was thinking that after owning it for a bit and getting
over the warentee issues I would consider what it would take to make it
electric.

It's been done before, I saw many Smart EVs and almost got a chance to ride in one. Not too difficult, and some EV components (made by MES-DEA) are made to fit Smart.

Gary Starr actually asked me to do it with LiIons, delivering Smart
(and labor if needed) to my door.

Didn't go any further than couple of phone calls and emails.

Victor

Evan Tuer wrote:

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:58:14 -0800, Electro Automotive
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Are we talking about standard gas Smarts here, or electrics?  Because the
last I heard, Zap had (or was getting) the gas ones, but was still trying
to figure out how to convert them to electric.

Yeah, someone with a Zap email address sent a message to a less busy
EV yahoo group I'm on, offering payment for someone to take Li-ion
batteries and a Smart and cobble them together.  This was only a few
months ago.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- In 1980 when the 750 was made the Exide Aux. Battery was 90 ah 50 pounds. The Trojan of today is 105 ah at the same weight. Is this really a better battey? I just put in the smaller MT24 I believe. 85ah and 6 pounds lighter. The battery rack was modified for that size battery. I guess 85 to 90 ah is enough aux. battery for the 120v pack.
Lawrence Rhodes
Bassoon/Contrabassoon
Reedmaker
Book 4/5 doubler