  1) Re: 500A battery load tester
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  2) RE: 1970s cars
        by "Ivo Jara" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Does Such an Electric Vehicle Exist?
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: 42-volt starting batteries an' stuff
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) gmail - EVDL
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) EV snow blowers?
        by Jim Coate <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: Small Prestolite Pump Motor and over voltage questions
        by "Ivo Jara" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: Solectria / Sunrise was AC Motors and Reverse
        by "Chris Tromley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: 1970s Cars
        by "Ivo Jara" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: 500A battery load tester
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: RE Current Eliminator News.
        by Gordon Niessen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Small Prestolite Pump Motor and over voltage questions
        by "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Small Prestolite Pump Motor and over voltage questions
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Does Such an Electric Vehicle Exist?
 15) Re: Does Such an Electric Vehicle Exist?
        by "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Ralph Merwin's Jelly Bean
 17) Re: Small Prestolite Pump Motor and over voltage questions
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: 1970s Cars
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Small Prestolite Pump Motor and over voltage questions
        by "Raymond Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Ralph Merwin's Jelly Bean
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Ralph Merwin's Jelly Bean
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Honda, Nissan join suit against CA
        by Sherry Boschert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Does Such an Electric Vehicle Exist?
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 24) Red Beastie specs
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 25) Re: Ralph Merwin's Jelly Bean
        by Ralph Merwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) RE: 500A battery load tester
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: AC Motors and Reverse and the Dragstrip
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- I'm new to EV, so excuse the ignorance, but why test the 'pack'? Don't you really want to know which individual battery is bad?
thanks
Rush

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Chancey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

snipped

It was designed to capacity test golf cart battery packs. It would hook up with clamps across 36 volts worth of batteries, then discharge them at 75 Amps until they reached the cutoff voltage.

snipped
but it could only do one 12 Volt battery at a time.

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.8.7 - Release Date: 2/10/2005

Well guys, that's a sumbeam tiger, you could get it with a 4, 6 ,8 and V12
engine, the V12 (Just one produced for racing)  rated 1000 Hp, and reached
327 km/hr.

That's a neat little vehicle, but as hollywood usualy does, they look nice
but are totally unreal for the lady in the movie to own, that car is scarce,
really expensive, and a classic.

You can also see it as Maxwell's Smart's car in the television series Get
Smart.

4 cyl: 1.725 cm3 & 100 cv at 5.500 rpm
V8   : V8 Ford Fairlane 260, 4.261 cm3 & 164 cv a 4.400 rpm.
2nd. V8: Mustang 289, 4,75 Litre.

Total production figures 7.100

Years of production 1955 - 1964

From: "Lawrence Rhodes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
CC: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 09:37:27 -0800

Though the car would never turn heads
driving down the street, once it's parked and he lifts the hood or pops the trunk, it
demands respect. Ralph's EV Prism has been a great machine to show others how a nice home
built electric conversion can be assembled with pride and integrity.

See Ya.......John Wayland

That's a compliment that means a lot comming from someone who is a total neat freak conserning his EV's. Ralph could you comment on how you are charging your pack of NiCads with a PFC charger. Rich wouldn't sell me one to charge my NiCads saying the chances of a spectacular battery launch and resulting superfund site would be too high. Do you use a timer or software? I'd really like to know and is it available to the general EV public? Lawrence Rhodes..........

Somehow I missed the news on Feb. 4 that Honda and
Nissan have joined the suit by other automakers
against California's clean-air laws.

You can send a letter to Honda easily from the web
site of the Union of Concerned Scientists:
http://www.ucsaction.org/action/index.asp?step=2&item=22412

=====
Sherry Boschert
President
San Francisco Electric Vehicle Association
415-681-7731
www.sfeaa.org

There are 941 electric vehicles and neighborhood electric vehicles in San
Francisco (DMV statistics). No gas, no oil, no noise, and no emisssions -- no
kidding!

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

     Check out Feb 2005 popular science page 17. volvo has such a car , but I
don't Know if you can get it in the states.
                                                 Larry 72 Datsun Elec TK

John,

Just the kind of EV I want

I am in Tucson AZ, actually outside in 3 Points and so if I go into town, shopping, movie whatever, then it is about a 80-100 mile trip. Coming back to my place I have a slight incline, 1% for about 4 miles. The truck I am looking for can be anything, S-10, Ranger, Toyota... I plan to take the bed out, lower the batteries as much as possible and put in a flat bed (wooden? no sides, just stake holes) so that if I want I can put stuff on top.

So John, you use the FB-4001, not the 4001A? Is the cost of the dual shaft not worth the potential of hooking something up to it? And 40 T-105's, wow, 2,400 lbs, so obviously a set of HD springs. Have you ever considered using L-16's? they are about the same in AH, but only 6 inches taller (420 AH at 20 hr rate, 11.5" x 7" x 16.75" and weight 121 lbs each, much heavier to move around....) so you save about 3 cu ft and that would mean only 1 string instead of 2 strings at 120 VDC. Does hooking up 2 strings mean more hardware? it means more cable/metal/lugs/crimping/$/etc. Also the footprint of the batteries is much smaller, 20.5 sq ft for the 105's vs 11.35 sq ft for the L16's, 35% smaller.

What about your controller? The description of the 'Beastie' says a DCP-1200, but one of the pictures shows a liquid-cooled Auburn Kodiak MPC controller. Here in AZ it gets pretty hot in the summer and under the hood even hotter, so I guess liquid cooled components are the best way to go if they don't drain too much power for the pumps. Or a Zilla?

I also see that the battery connections are bus bar types. Is that a better connector for the amps than a cable and lug? easier to make?

Charger - at home I can use 240 so what is a good 120/240 charger?

Also I still don't grasp the concept of not shifting, leaving it in 2nd gear and letting the rpms do the work - on the highway, wouldn't it be better to shift up to 3rd or even 4th or is it that the torque would not be enough to sustain the speed? And I understand that it is possible to shift with out using the clutch?

Anyway, all and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Rush
Tucson AZ
www.ironandwood.org

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Wayland" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Midsized pickup, 9 inch series wound motor, 5 speed tranny, 40, T-105 6V golf car
batteries @120V. A real 120 miles range under ideal conditions, 80 or so under less than
ideal conditions, and able to tow 4000+ lbs. for 45 miles at 50-55 mph.

See the EV photo Album and check out Red Beastie in the Toyota section:
See Ya......John Wayland

John Wayland writes:

> Oh-oh .....the last thing I want to do, is offend fellow EVers, especially
> a good friend like Ralph.

No offence taken!  Thanks for the kind words.  I hope my current rebuild
lives up to the billing...

Just to bring people up to date, the next version of the Prizm will have
a 156v pack of 26 Optima Yellow Tops in buddy pairs, a Zilla Z1K controller,
a PFC-20 charger, a set of Mk2 Rudman Regulators with the regbus wired up
between the regulators and charger, and heated/insulated battery boxes.
Progress has been slow but steady.

Lawrence Rhodes wrote:
> That's a compliment that means a lot comming from someone who is a total
> neat freak conserning his EV's.  Ralph could you comment on how you are
> charging your pack of NiCads with a PFC charger.  Rich wouldn't sell me one
> to charge my NiCads saying the chances of a spectacular battery launch and
> resulting superfund site would be too high.  Do you use a timer or software?
> I'd really like to know and is it available to the general EV public?

I don't have NiCads any more.  When I did have them, I used a Brusa NLG412
most of the time.  I did use the PFC-20 sometimes, but then only for bulk
charging and then only when I could watch the pack voltage closely.  I had
plans for a SAFT-aware controller for the PFC-20 but never built it.  When
the NiCads blew up (literally) I sold the Brusa charger.

Ralph

David Roden [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> My policy on tools is that life is too short to frustrate myself with
> inferior ones.  I'd rather buy a high quality tool that's skimpy on
> "features" than a feature-laden tool that's poorly made and
> won't last.

Not to mention that a carbon-pile tester is of limited value for
determining the health of batteries for EV use anyway.  A more useful
device is the sort of 75A load tester than Mike Chancey mentioned,
available from our good friends at Lester (yet, the same Lester that
makes chargers):

<http://www.lesterelectrical.com/products/batterytester.PDF>

--- Begin Message --- Seth Allen wrote:

Siemens is the only inverter that I am aware of that has a charger built in.

Unless you meant integrated DC-DC, I'd like to know which Siemens inverters gave integrated charger in them.