  1) Re: Ralph Merwin's Jelly Bean
  2) Does Such an Electric Vehicle Exist?
        by "J Mac" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Does Such an Electric Vehicle Exist?
  4) Re:"Current EVents"  was: EV snow blowers?
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Honda, Nissan join suit against CA
  6) Re: Watering BB600's.
  7) Re: Ralph Merwin's Jelly Bean
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: Red Beastie specs
        by "a.k. howard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) optima vs flooded...again
        by "a.k. howard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Honda, Nissan join suit against CA
        by Mike Chancey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Watering BB600's.
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Honda, Nissan join suit against CA
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: AC Motors and Reverse
        by Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) optima vs flooded...again
        by "John Westlund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: 500A battery load tester
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 16) Re: Battery resting voltage...
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Fun, regrets, and performance of 200sx
        by Ryan Bohm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Making our own batteries
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Hopper cars
        by "David Chapman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Red Beastie specs
        by "David Chapman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Red Beastie specs
        by "David Chapman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: "Current EVents"  was: EV snow blowers?
        by Jim Coate <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Hydraulic eff.
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: AC Motors and Reverse
I had plans for a SAFT-aware controller for the PFC-20 but never built it.

When you say "PLANS" Ralph is that a circuit or a wish? If it is a circuit could you share with the list? Thanks. Lawrence Rhodes.........
Looks like I need to clarify what I'm looking for.

I need a small electric bike/motorcycle/car that can tow a small trailer that has a heavy freezer on it, roughly 800 lbs. + the driver. The EV will make lots of stops & needs to get good mileage per charge.

Any direction & help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mac

= = =

Looking for electric vehicle with good range (50 miles +) & that can tow around 900 lbs.

Please send suggestions/links/ideas/contacts.

Thanks!
Mac

--- Begin Message --- I think I am out of luck. It sounds very much like my Think Neighbor charger. Just a little louder. It does diminish during float. I'm still having trouble with the float on the 12v system. It just won't go to 1 amp. It think the battery is bad. I tried another charger and it won't taper to 1amp. Every good battery I ever had tapered. This is a Trojan 85 amp 12v 24MT I think. Lawrence Rhodes.........
----- Original Message ----- From: "Lee Hart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: "Jim Coate"
In the Nov/Dec issue of "Current EVents"

Whats that? Have a link too it? Hard to find it with a search engine considering the words..

_________
Jim Coate
1970's Elec-Trak
1992 Chevy S-10 BEV
1997 Chevy S-10 NGV
http://www.eeevee.com

>> How about a hollow shaft AC motor with a limited slip diffy and
>> single reduction inside at each axel, then conventional CV axles
>> from there.

Could work. Just remember that there are some pretty intense magnetic
fields in a motor; if you try to put gears or other "stuff" in there, it
could be adversely affected! Like, wear particles sticking to the teeth
of the gears, where they cause accellerated wear or drag.

Frank Schmitt wrote:
> I've always thought it would be neat to build an induction motor with
> two rotors and one stator. The one with more slip (in the motor, less
> slip at the tire) would get all the torque. I guess you'd optimize the
> vector control for whichever one is turning more slowly.

This has been done. As I recall, it didn't really make much difference
in the size or weight of the motor. The only real problem is that it
turned an ordinary mass-produced motor into an exotic special motor
(more cost for no particular advantage).

But, there is an even odder way to do this -- the twin rotor motor. This
is motor with two rotors and NO stator! The inside rotor directly drives
one axle, and the outside case rotates in the opposite direction, and
drives the opposite axle via a 1:1 planetary reversing gear! By doing
this, your single motor operates at an effective rpm double what it
would have been if used normally; thus it lets you build a wheel motor
that runs at twice the speed of the wheel.
--
Ring the bells that you can ring
Forget your perfect offering

Victor Tikhonov wrote:
> Definition games.. :-) OK, I should say brushed motors (AC or DC)
> can't run as fast as brushless motors (AC or DC) because commutation/
> arcing at high speeds presents... challenges, as well as mechanical
> integrity of the commutators.

Not so much the commutator; they can be built arbitrarily strong.
Certainly strong enough so they are no longer the limiting factor.
However, such commutators cost more. Most motors nowdays use crude cast
commutators, where the bars are held in by little more than plastic,
phenolic, or glue.

The ultimate limit is the brush. The higher the rpm, the faster it has
to slide over the commutator or slip ring surface. That generates
friction, heat, and wear. At some point, you can no longer cool it, and
its life is too short to be useful.

> It is far more reliable to transfer energy (to the rotor) using
> magnetic field than mechenucal sliding contacts (brushes).

Well... "reliability" is not quite the word. Brushes are very
dependable, and there are lots of examples of them working for decades.
But, they have a wearout mechanism, and need periodic maintenance and
replacement.

Brushes make sense when you can predict how long it needs to work (how
many years, or how many miles), and when there will be routine
maintenance, and repairs. Properly used, brushes have no problems
lasting for the life of a car.

Solid state inverters make sense when the life is unknown, and you don't
plan to ever do any maintenance, and will throw it away when it breaks.
So, they fit in better with the modern "use and discard" mentality.

> Count amount of resistors, capacitors, ICs and heat sinks in both
> types - roughly the same.

Not normally. The usual PWM DC motor controller has just one big
transistor and one big diode (or perhaps many small ones in parallel).
The usual 3-phase AC motor controller has 6 transistors and 6 diodes
(again, sometimes using paralleled devices). Now, each of those
transistors and diodes is about half the power rating, so you basically
have 3 times the amount of high-power silicon in an AC controller.

> I think it is only because AC inverters *typically* do more
> sophisticated things than just PWM battery power to the motor.

Yes, quite true. DC controls tend to be simpler and cheaper. They could
build AC controls the same way, but they don't.

> I think industrial AC inverters made [by the] millions cost less
> than Zilla made in small quantities, are they?

Of course. This is a the main reason EV controllers are so expensive;
they are all essentially hand-made.