  1) RE: AC Motors and Reverse
        by "Ivo Jara" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Political Action (OT)
        by "Steve" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Battery resting voltage...
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  4) Re: Political Action
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) EV Owners (One hour south of San Fran, CA) Need Advice
        by "David (Battery Boy) Hawkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Political Action (OT)
        by Ken Trough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Political Action
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: AC Motors and Reverse
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: Political Action
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Synthetic oil in Tranny & Diff.
 11) Cluttered and complicated (was RE: Political Action)
        by "Harris, Lawrence" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Synthetic oil in Tranny & Diff.
 13) Re: Battery resting voltage...
        by Nick Viera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Electravan Vs. Curtis 400 amp controller conversion. Gearing musings.
 15) Re: Battery resting voltage...
        by Nick Viera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Electravan Vs. Curtis 400 amp controller conversion. Gearing musings.
        by Frank Schmitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: 1970s cars, was Re: White Zombie Range
 18) Re: Battery resting voltage...
        by Nick Viera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: Battery resting voltage...
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: AC Motors and Reverse
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: More water dreams...
 22) Re: 1970s cars, was Re: White Zombie Range
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
This motors are being made every day, those are submersible motors for water
pumps, and they are not that expensive.

   Description  Value
        Product name:
        MS 6000
        Product No:
        78195519
        EAN number:
        5700392327666
Technical:

        Approvals on nameplate:
        CE
Materials:

        Material, motor:
        Stainless steel

        1.4301 DIN W.-Nr.

        304 AISI
Installation:

        Maximum ambient pressure:
        60 bar
        Motor diameter:
        6 inch

Staybolt:
        1/2"UNF
Liquid:

        Max liquid t at 0.15 m/sec:
        40 °C
Electrical data:

        Motor type:
        MS6000
        P2:
        26 kW
        Mains frequency:
        50 Hz
        Rated voltage:
        3 x 380-400-415 V
        Voltage tolerance: +
        6/--10 %
        Starting method:
        direct-on-line
        Rated current:
        59,0-57,0-57,0 A
        Starting current:
        450-490-500 %
        Cos phi - power factor:
        0,87-0,84-0,81
        Rated speed:
        2840-2860-2880 rpm
        Locked-rotor torque:
        160-180-190 %
        Breakdown torque:
        220-240-260 %
        Moment of inertia:
        0,0120 kg m2
        Axial load max:
        2000 kg
        Enclosure class (IEC 34-5):
        IP58
        Insulation class (IEC 85):
        Motor protec:
        NONE
        Thermal protec:
        external
        Built-in temp. transmitter:
        yes
        R:
        0,433 ohm
Others:

        Net weight:
        69.5 kg

Manual and part list can be downloaded here

http://net.grundfos.com/Appl/WebCAPS/LiteratureDetail?documentid=1280&litlan
guage=ENU&typecode=MSFAM&appcode=&pdfid=1923&language=ENU

And I include a graph with the poewr and efficiency curves and a picture of
the motor, remeber the diameter is 6", therefore you can estimate the
length.

BTW: the motor is filled with water, and has a cap to refill, it runs like
that, it's the means of refrigeration, it dissipates heat through the motor
wall into the surrounding water, but it could be easily adapted to let water
through the motor, then a radiator could be fitted.

Well, that is the answer to the question: Where to get a motor like that.

Ivo

From: "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Political Action
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 15:35:46 -0600

>From: "Steve"

>For those interested in political action to get >international corporations to 'see the >light' of the various benefits of electric vehicles

I was thinking about a really nice, clean, "simple" conversion to show them "Hey look at this. This is better then the original vehicle."

Take a somewhat new car.  Be it a Neon, Cavalier, Saturn,
Focus, etc.  Remove all the "junk" from under the hood so
the electric motor install will look clean and not
cluttered.  Install either a 8" or 9" DC motor to the stock
transmission.  Install a Zilla and a PFC really nice and
clean.  Install the AGM batteries potentially where the
stock gas tank was.  Build a rack and try and mount it using
the gas tanks mounting points.  Use other mounting points if
need be.  Try and keep it a "bolt in" ordeal.  Mount
batteries cleanly in the trunk and cover them with that
material they use to line the trunks with.

The purpose of this would be to show the auto manufacture
that they could take existing vehicles and quickly and
easily convert them with minimal effort.

I'm pretty sure the performance would be better.  Can we get
comparable range?

Otmar wrote:

Certainly not!

Take my most popular Zilla, the 156V rated Z1K-LV that sells retail $1975. That's 160 HP. Try finding a 160 HP AC controller for under $2000. I think you'll have a hard time finding that. A quick look at the Grainger catalog shows the largest one they sell being 125 HP, and costing from $15,000 to $20,000. But to be fair, most AC drives can do 2X overload for peak power so lets compare to a 75 HP drive. Those range from $9600 to $15,000. Still at least 5 times the cost of the Zilla DC drive.

Or take the top of the line 348V 2000A Zilla that sells for $4900. That's about 700 peak HP at the shaft if you had the batteries to drive it. This comes to about $7.14 per HP. Try finding that in a AC drive of any sort.

I agree with your analysis OTmar, but I'mot sure if $/hp is the only criteria for a customer to go by, AC or DC.

If Zilla cost $7.14 per HP but does nothing else than crank out
these HP, it is not a good controller. If it is programmable, does
protect battery and motor, does reversing, can be adapted for particular
motor, have extras (DC-DC or auxiliary charger), universal
interface, integrated contactors, etc, etc, and still cost $7.14/hp,
it is very different value for the customer (lots add ons for "free").

Also, drives which priced at Grainger at $15k *may* cost $3k to produce,
and the rest is marketing/support thing. If you'd offer Zilla though the Grainger, they could probably price it for $13,995 or something,
regardless of how much you charge them. Point I'm trying to make - sale price is rather function of demand/supply than complexity.
Complexity matters, but appears not always to be priced proportionally.

I have built both AC and DC systems and of course I pay a lot of attention to cost. I agree that the development cost is higher for AC drives, but even when that is fully amortized (or as is more common in this industry, given away!) the AC drives do cost more.

No arguments there, no way it can cost less or the same.

AC controllers are quite a bit more expensive per KW to build. They have 6 times the gate driver circuits, more than twice the processor power, three times or more the cost to measure current and the power section (which includes the heatsink in my calculations) costs 2 to 4 times as much as a similar DC controller. Resistors don't matter on the price, but power devices, current measuring, gate drive and heatsinks sure do.

This is hardware componenets cost, right?

Of course all these effects are highly dependent on the particular design and application. The best representative case that I know of was one where I was asked to replace a DC controller that I had designed with a AC one. The application was identical and *very* cost sensitive. In the end I worked the AC controller down to 140% of the cost of the DC controller. This was for a very high volume design so the development costs were next to nil. I think this is a reasonable target, and I hope that someday I can offer a 150 HP AC drive for about $3000.

Again, I may be wrong, but I'd certainly pay 140% more for AC controller with *lots* of extras and flexibility than for DC one of the same (or more) raw power but plain vanilla one.

The difficulty in comparing EV controllers that you can buy on the market today is that they are optimized differently. The Siemens controllers, like many AC controllers, try to keep the controller cost down by raising the system voltage. This makes sense if you are trying to make a cheaper controller, but the economics become worse if you look at the balance of the system. You are now severely handicapped by requiring a high voltage battery system. This of course increases costs quite a bit, and theoretically reduces reliability. You can thankfully run them at lower voltage, but then the power is closer to that of a Curtis.

Still, I understand their logic because building a high power low voltage AC controller really showcases the increased cost of the AC controller.

Don't get me wrong, I drove AC for many years, and I like it a lot, but one thing it's not is "less expensive".

If you're talking about particular Siemens system I offer, it can be
*less expensive* depending on how much value you put in extras they
have. But, you're right in general because these particular systems
are offered at surplus prices while DC ones are not - not fair
comparison. New Simovers 6SV-1 from Siemens directly would run $20k or so, because support and distribution network cost and mark up will be
included.

Now, if you take the motor into consideration then the argument can become much closer. When you start producing hundreds of thousands of AC systems (motor and controller) the situation gets much closer because the AC motors are much cheaper to make than the DC motors. The AC system still costs more, but it's not that much more and as power electronics slowly get better the argument for AC gets better as well.

Sure.

Have fun!

I do.

damon henry [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> And if you ever look
> at a really clean conversion like the ones Wayland and
> some other's on this list have built, you will see that
> though they are clean, they are no less cluttered and
> complicated looking than a gas car.

OK; I really have to make an effort to get some photos of my conversion
posted!

What Damon writes is largely true, but it doesn't need to be.  One of my
goals with my conversion was to have an underhood area that would
impress people with how much simpler an EV is than an ICE.  To achieve
this, there are *no* traction batteries under the hood; there is just
the 12V system battery in the stock location.  The motor is in plain
sight so that its small size and simplicity relative to the original ICE
are obvious.  The wiring is/will be neatly harnessed (its not yet
complete) to avoid the intimidating science project look.

It is definitely possible to put together a conversion that is less
cluttered and complicated looking than a gas car, you just have to make
that one of your design goals.

--- Begin Message --- Roland would you say this synthetic Gear oil helped range? Thanks Lawrence Rhodes......
----- Original Message ----- From: "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>