  1) RE: 42-volt starting batteries
        by "Ivo Jara" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: EV1 vigil in Burbank, Calif.
  3) Re: transmission problems
        by Electro Automotive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: EV1 vigil in Burbank, Calif.
        by "Klemkosky, Mark A" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) EV1 vigil in Burbank, Calif
        by Steven Lough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Fwd: Re: More water dreams...
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: More water dreams...
        by "Chris Tromley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: More water dreams...
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) LB-20 Isolated?
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: EV1 vigil in Burbank, Calif.
        by "Ivo Jara" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: LB-20 Isolated?
        by Andrew Letton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: transmission problems
        by "Ivo Jara" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) RE: 42-volt starting batteries
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Your math (OT) (was Re: EV1 vigil in Burbank, Calif.)
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: LB-20 Isolated?
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: RE Current Eliminator News.
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 17) Re: 42-volt starting batteries
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) She's dead Jim
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: What are the upper voltage limits of DC motors?
 20) Ev-1
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 21) MAX712 IC to control NiCad charging.
 22) Ironic conversion, was RE: 42-volt starting batteries
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 23) RE: More water dreams...
 24) RE: 42-volt starting batteries
I don't really know another reason not to do so, tinkering with lead or
cadmium happens to be toxic, acids too, so maybe people don't want to get
into that area, you would need to make a small foundry in your garage, store
and handle hazardous chemicals, risk fires and explosions, maybe it's not
just "I don't want to", maybe it's more like "I won't risk it", or "I
can't".

But as you said, if someone really wants to, he can.

Ivo

 Date:  2/13/05 7:42:52 PM Pacific Standard Time
 From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Sender:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 To:    ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

 Feb.13 The CE makes 8 passes down speedworlds qt.mile,racing the az.drag
 racing assoitions 2nd race of the year.In the 1st race of 05 the ce went to
the
 qt.finals.Today limping along on batteries that last week put out 3 amp hr.I
did
 not expect to get past the 1st round.Instead the CE drove through every ICE
 all the way(killer competitors)to the round leading into the final.I had
such a
 great package(a .003 lite with 12.12 dialed in an ran 12.122)that I got the
 bye run.All day long I was in the right lane so I knew what the car was
doing
 there I chose the left lane for that free run...She ran a 12.097 a
breakout.So
 I had the info I needed to run in the left lane.     My competitor in the
 final run, ran in the left lane all day.A "heavy hitter" dragster from
Tucson
 probaly did not have too much info on the right lane so I made him flip for
lane
 choice,I wanted to put him in the right lane and did so.In that final run I
 dialed to 12.07 so I got the 1st lite about half way down the win lite in my
lane
 came on so I ran CE out the back door knowing the other guy red lited.The CE
 overran its predicted et buy .05 but it did not matter at that point we had
 already WON.   This is a series of races for all super pro cars in
arizona.You
 can follow my points at the adra website.After todays runs we maybe in the
 points lead,ck it out on thursday.                   Dennis Berube 4000+ EV
qt.
 miles in 15 years >>
>The current eliminator is now in 2nd place in the super pro class in
arizona.On march 26 in tucson I will again try to make enough points to gain
the
lead.   Dennis Berube

Roger Stockton wrote:

I'll ask you the same basic question I just asked Evan, how /specifically/ is my logic wrong? Give me one reason why people aren't building batteries at home if they see a clear advantage to doing so.

Insufficient motivation. The specific case I was proposing is that EV drag racers have very specifc needs that *may* not be met by any readily available commercial product at this time. A sufficiently motivated/competitive racer could 'blueprint' a set of batteries or at the extreme, build himself a set.

So this proves Peter's poing that in last 25 years there were NO SINGLE racer morivated sufficiently enough to try even though outcome could be winning race which is highest priority.

That's odd. Must be other reasons.

Or you also *Require* that the battery will be cheap enough so
anyone could do it for mere price of existing batteries?

If yes, manufacturer's would do it long ago.
If no, buy Kokam's LiIon cells - as stiffas your hawkers
(if not, add ultracaps) and far lighter.

Or, use primary cells.

Or you also require that it must be lead chemistry?
And also rechargeable?

I don't think anyone would argue that it makes competitive sense to haul
around a stack of 40lb Orbitals when power-to-weight is key and racers
are having difficulty sustaining more than 1000A load on the batteries,
and a stock 10lb 13Ah Hawker will survive 750A for nearly long enough to
make a full run.

Objective of a racer as I understand is win a race. Not to stuff 10000A in the controller. If you can't do it, there are other trivial ways to increase HP - dual/tripple systems, highewr voltages, different chenistries, different ways to store energy (caps), or any combination of above. In fact, since these things HAVE been tried before (unlike building batteries) apparently they promised more advantages OR more practical (less effort/cost for the same outcome) than building batteries.

It is not lack of motivation Roger. It is because other [than building
your battery] ways to succeed take less effort and more predictable/
calculatable *for plain mortals with limited resources* competing here.

--- Begin Message --- My Alltrax controller just blew up. It was quite a surprise. I had just headed out of my neighborhood on a beautiful 50 degree day to test out my new battery arraingement, when I heard a fizzing noise and looked down to see sparks and smoke shooting out of the back of my controller. I cut the power and pulled off to the side of the road then pushed my motorcycle back home.

I sent an e-mail to Alltrax to see what comes next. I can't see that it was anything I did and I just bought the controller last summer so hopefully it is a warranty repair type of deal. If not it may be time to start selling off components and move on to a different hobby.

damon