  1) RE: Side pull (Re: 42-volt...)
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: NEDRA Wattage Classes
        by Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) posted ProEV's first Lithium Polymer test drive
        by "ProEV" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: 42-volt starting batteries
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: New venting batt
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Battery resting voltage...
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Stuffing the brains into my variac
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: Torque Steer
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: NEDRA Wattage Classes
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: 144vdc charger options needed,  was Re: help
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: NEDRA Wattage Classes
        by Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Is Dennis getting bored?
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 13) Re: 144vdc charger options needed,  was Re: help
        by russco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: Torque Steer
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Is Dennis getting bored?
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Vespa conversion candidate on eBay
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 17) Thanks
        by "goodsharonwbird" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Cluttered and Complicated...White Zombie Mods
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Side pull (Re: 42-volt...)
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Torque Steer
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Side pull (Re: 42-volt...)
        by "M.G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Torque Steer
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Side pull (Re: 42-volt...)
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: What are the upper voltage limits of DC motors?
        by "M.G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: 42-volt starting batteries
Victor Tikhonov [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I do not understand what length of the half shaft has to do
> with transmitting torque drom its one end to another.

Two things: the longer shaft may 'wrap up' (twist) more when torque is
applied; also the CV joints will operate at different angles on the
short shaft than on the long one (not sure how much effect this has, but
it is there).

I too would love to hear from others that I highly respect such as Lee and Oat.

As I understand the question, it's how to best classify drag racing vehicles.

That of course would depend on what the goal is.

Do you want them all to run close to the same speed? Spec. parts.

Do you want the most efficient one to win?  Spec. power.

I think it's important to foster innovation, but also to provide some areas where you can't just buy your way to a win. I don't know the best way to do that, it's a difficult issue.

I think the voltage classes are pretty good because low voltage is usually much cheaper. But of course lithium is going to allow people to buy a win in any category. Yet, I don't want to penalize lithium since I believe it will keep getting cheaper and better.

If you want low cost, innovative competitive racing, then I would stick to the voltage classes but further limit some class to lead acid only, or maybe even spec the battery model and quantity. (say, 12 Orbitals). Basically a power limit. That would keep cost down and let people work on the details other than batteries which are relatively cheap.

Really though, I don't know what is best. I am thankful that NEDRA has already done such a great job thinking this out!

As for the solar race, I would think it's best benefit would be for innovative experiments including thermal engines and the like. Unfortunately the rule #1 does not allow that, so I don't see what will be done to make it interesting.

just my 2 W*hr  (thanks David D for the correction :-)
--
-Otmar-
http://www.CafeElectric.com

Hi Everybody,

We are filling in some gaps on our website.

Under Electic Imp Project, Testing Log, Vehicle testing log we added the
last of the information about our testing with the old hawker cyclon pack.
May 14, 2003 .... on is new.

June 24, 2004 covers our first test drive with the Kokam Lithium Polymer
cells.

Under Testing Log, Battery test log, we have posted a look at voltage under
load vs State of Charge on the Kokam's. Sorry about the Excel file, but it
was easiest to do the graphs in.

Cliff

www.ProEV.com
Victor Tikhonov [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> OK, I can run it few times if you ask nicely :-)
> I'm afraid, though it may not pass formal safety inspection.

Please, please! ;^>

>From the pictures on your site, I suspect you would not have much
trouble passing tech.  You will need to provide an emergency shutdown
switch (I believe a toggle switch on a little plate that you can secure
under the trunk/hatch lid is sufficient, but it must be in a red
triangle).

> Performance of ACRX is very good, but I don't care about *a number*.

The importance of a number is that I don't have any way of knowing what
'very good' performance means to you.  (I used to be quite content
driving a 1970 VW van, so 'very good' performance might mean something
totally different to me than to Rich Rudman, for instance.)

If I were to approach you for an AC drive system, how do I know which
one to buy?  I can ask you what you used in your car and how it
performs, but if the answer is 'very good' rather than something
quantifiable, I still don't know which one to buy (or worse, I buy the
wrong one).  I know you offer simulations to assist in the process, but
unless you have numbers to verify that the performance of your car
matches your simulation of it, I can't rely on the simulation of my
vehicle.

If the numbers show that an 80-100kW AC system actually delivers
performance comparable to or better than a similarly priced DC system I
think you'd find more interest in the AC systems.  Right now, I get the
impression that we really don't know, and that the assumption is that
the AC system will be wimpier...

Richard wrote:
> I'm wrestling with a new battery in an old string right now too.
> Seems like I have the opposite problem.  The new one takes
> significantly longer (extra hour) to reach acceptance voltage
> than the others.  I'm trying to figure out if I simply got a
> stale battery, or if this is normal.
>
> Many sources state that new batteries have less capacity than
> "broken-in" ones.
>
> What I haven't been able to find is information on how new batteries
> react differently to charging vs broken in ones.  What's the group
> consensus?

A new lead-acid battery will generally have slightly less than its rated
capacity. As you cycle it, its amphour capacity goes up for the first
few dozen cycles. After that there is a long plateau, and then in starts
to slowly decline as it goes into its "retirement years".

So, if you put a new battery in a slightly old pack, it will probably
have less capacity than the rest. It might be the one getting the
deepest discharge, and so can be damaged before the older but well
broken-in batteries.

Conversely, if you put a new battery in a very old pack, it probably has
*more* capacity even new. In this case, it will be batteries in the rest
of the pack that are the weak links.

There's another complication. The efficiency of a new battery is
generally the highest, and it slowly drops with time and age. When you
go for a drive, you take the same number of amphours out of each
battery. So when you recharge, the new battery will generally reach
"full" sooner. If  you are charging harder and longer to keep an old
pack working, you can damage the new battery before it has time to get
broken in.
--
"The two most common elements in the universe
are hydrogen and stupidity."    -- Harlan Ellison

> Do all multimeters have adjustable calibration?  Or just the
> expensive ones?

Pretty much all of them do, though in some cases it might not be
obvious.

Old analog meters had hand-painted (or machine-painted) scales, custom
made for each one. Or, they hand-picked the resistors; you would see
wire-wound resistors so they could pick the length to get the desired
resistance, then wind it on the bobbin.

Digital meters usually have trimpots, one for each range. Sometimes they
use a file or laser to trim the resistance film on a metal film
resistor. A few use a microcomputer, and have a programmable memory chip
that they save the calibration data in at the factory.

> Also, I've seen meters that feature "self-calibration" or "auto
> calibration". What does this mean?

The classic Intersil ICM7106 digital multimeter chip and its derivitives
(used in 90% of all inexpensive digital meters) features auto-zero. It
periodically shorts its own input, and adjusts itself to display "0000".
With zero volts input, they typically display 0000 with an alternating
+/- sign.

But, it does *not* set its own full-scale value. In fact, these chips
have a built-in voltage reference that is not very good. The accuracy of
meters with these chips typically vary a lot with temperature.
--

damon henry wrote:
> OK, I guess it will be as straight forward as I thougt it might.
> I am using a Basic Stamp 2 (BS2-IC) which does not have a built
> in ADC, so I guess I will need to pick a couple of those up.

Then I think I would get an inexpensive digital multimeter with an
isolated RS-232 output. This provides an accurate, inexpensive, isolated
way to measure charging voltage and/or current.
--
"The two most common elements in the universe
are hydrogen and stupidity."    -- Harlan Ellison
--
Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377  leeahart_at_earthlink.net

I agree that most of the time a problem will show up for both cases,
motor torque and braking, but it is possible to have a case where
braking is different.

First the more mundane case: Before you stop, natural coasting
rearward force takes up that slack, so then braking doesn't make
things any worse.

Now for a less likely, but possible case:

Torque from the motor tends to pull the wheels fore or aft, and the
torque gets reacted through the transmission. The only torque about
the axle, on the suspension parts, is the very slight drag from the
bearings.

The brakes react their torque through suspension components, not the
transmission. This tries to rotate the suspension components about
the brake disk axis. Unlike the engine torque case, now the top of
the strut gets a significant forward force, and the lower control arm
ball joint gets a signficant rearward force. Movements of these
components could even cancel out!

You can get cases where things clunk loosely under engine torques,
but when tightened up by the braking torque don't clunk around.

--- Roger Stockton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Victor wasn't clear if the pull is transient or not, but I suspect
> loose
> parts are not the problem based on his description.
>
> He stated that the pull is experienced when he acclerates or
> decelerates
> using regen, but not when he decelerates using his brakes.
>
> Loose parts in the suspension would be forced one way under
> acceleration
> and the other way under deceleration; the behaviour would not
> depend on
> whether deceleration is applied at the wheel (brakes) or via the
> axles
> (motor).

=====

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Although I agree with much of what Rich said, I don't agree with his statement on the one hand that there are too many classes and then on the other that he is being pitted unfairly against race only cars as he said: "I am tired of getting my butt kicked with rear drive cars, and Multi motors and multi controllers. Not to say I couldn't vanquish them, it's just a LOT of work. Classes are supposed to keep like same EVs in close competition. Our voltage only classes, can put me against 2000 amps and twin motors and a set of Wheelie bars. Something Goldie will never have."

First of all Rich you know darn well that we don't run voltage only. The voltage divisions are a subcategory of different types of body types from street conversions to full blown dragsters so that people like you with a street car won't have to run against an all out race car with wheelie bars. In fact the more classes we have the fairer it gets. We were very concerned with fairness when we first wrote the classes. This was a great deal of work and out of pocket expense to the people who flew to Arizona to form NEDRA. The beginning was two days of all day long intense meetings. There had been weeks of emailing ideas back and forth. We all took this very seriously.
As to your statement that: "Not to say I couldn't vanquish them, it's just a LOT of work." You hit the nail on the head. It is a LOT of hard work and a LOT of dedication to build a quick car. It certainly doesn't happen overnight.

Roderick Wilde
NEDRA President

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>