        by "ohnojoe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: 3 phase PM
        by "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: 3 phase PM
  4) Re: 3 phase PM
        by "David Chapman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) re: Dave Cloud's Rules ideas.
        by Ken Trough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: EVLN(World's fastest EV, Nakashima's Super Elexceed exceeding 350 kph)
        by Ken Trough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: EVLN(pih: the solution is already with us)
        by Ken Trough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: 3 phase PM
        by "djsharpe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Dave Cloud's Rules ideas
        by "Roy LeMeur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: 3 phase PM
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: NEDRA rule changes
        by "Raymond Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE:Dennis Berubes 7000 hp ev ride
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 13) Re: Dave Cloud's Rules ideas
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 14) Re: NEDRA rule changes
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 15) Re: NEDRA rule changes
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: 3 phase PM
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: 3 phase PM
        by "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Does only size matter? (For DC motors?)
        by "Markus L" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) GM does issue individual responses to EV-1 comments
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 20) Re: Question: Max efficiency charging with 3 phase alternator
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: AC vs. DC / 100 mph club with AC?
Sounds like you have some old batteries.  You are using flooded batteries?

Not old batteries I bought brand new Exide flooded batteries because I
couldn't get Trojan 12 volts here in beautiful Springfield Illinois. It is a
pack of 10 12 volt batteries or 120 volts.

As batteries age they take more current at finish voltage. As my pack of
US8VGC's was dying they would run at around 10 AMPs at finish voltage.  I
suspect you have one or more bad batteries.

There could be a bad apple in the pack. I guess to find out I would have to
charge each battery separately?????? However, I think that I need to take a
better look at the charger to see if the float setting is broken. I read in
an old list posting that the K&W Charger has a transistor that can go bad or
come loose.   If the transistor is bad I'm not sure if I can just get one at
Radio Shack (if they still sell that type of stuff) or I'll try to get in
touch with K&W.(the owner and I played phone tag today)  In the mean time
I'll clean up the spillage, add some go juice for the boil over and lower
the volts dial and the charging time.

Please let the list know the kind of EV you have, the batteries you are
using and where you are located.  Contacting a local EV club would be one of
the best things you can do.

There really isn't any close clubs. Springfield Illinois is an island in a
sea of corn.  I did join the FVEAA. It was the closest club but it is still
200 plus miles away.

My first Ev is a 1992 GEO tracker I bought on the GSA web site.  It has 4000
miles on it and works perfectly. (well expect for this little problem.)  It
was converted with a kit supplied by Electric Vehicles of America, Inc. (
<aoldb://mail/write/www.EV-America.com> www.EV-America.com )  The conversion
was done with 0 miles on the Tracker and the conversion is top shelf....
every thing was done like a pro.   I have spoken via email to Bob Batson of
EVA a few times and he has been more than helpful.

My other EV is a 1995 S-10 truck.  I thought the kit was also by EVA.
However, I don't think that is correct because the S-10 truck has a clutch.
I had to pull the tranny out and take the 9" Advanced DC Motor to a shop to
get it reworked and cleaned up. It was arching something fierce.  I'll put
that back together soon.   I hope to get a bed lift and move the batteries
out of the bed.

Did you measure that voltage while the charger was operating, or after you

had shut it off?  If the former, there is something very wrong.

I shut the charger off.   The instructions say

B. Connect the BC-20 to AC primary power. Observe that the green light on

the front panel is lit indicating that AC power is present, and that the GFI

light is out. If necessary, press the R (reset) button on the GFI. If
necessary,

also push in the AC circuit breaker front panel button to reset it. Refer to

Section 4 in case of difficulty.

C. Slowly rotate the front panel VOLTAGE control counterclockwise until

the desired float voltage is reached. Use an external meter to set float

voltage. Alternatively, adjust the VOLTAGE to achieve the desired charging

current in the float condition. The float charging current will normally be
set

lower for extended charging than for overnight charging.

Your 120v nominal battery should reach about 148 to 150 volts with current

declining to about 2% of the amp hour capacity, ^with the charger

operating^.

My voltage only went to 131.6 and didn't reach 148-150. However, I did
wonder if there could have been a voltage drop because I had to use the
jumper cables as extensions of the test lead. There are 8 batteries in the
back and 2 under the hood.

If one assumes that based on the gassing and spillage that the 131.6 reading
was low I read the above to mean I can turn the voltage down so that the
current reads 1 or 2 amps.

(BTW, be careful with those jumper cables.  You are dealing with a lot of

power and energy.)

Safety first I have an insulated floor mat rubber soled shoes and lineman's
gloves rated for high voltage.  I have not yet gotten around to taping off
or coating a set of wrenches and other tools but that's on the list.

Thanks, Ray, for the specific alternator suggestions.
That kind of technical (speed vs current output) detail is hard to find when
looking at alternators, sad to say.

But 65% efficiency in conversion would mean wasted energy in heat and a
20-25% reduced electric output compared to what I'd expect to get out of an
ETEK PM motor.  On the other hand, the $100 solutions may look much better
than the $400 to my friend.

Lee suggested steppers.
Interesting option also.
But the added bridge rectifiers and the unknowns make it a non-starter since
any tinkering will end up being something I end up having to do.

> For example, a Superior Electric M093 "Slo-Syn" stepper is rated 2.86
> ft.lbs torque at 300 rpm = 120 watts = 1/6 hp, and weighs 7.8 lbs.

Let's see: That's getting down to direct steam engine speed now---nice.
But 120watts generated with 7.8# weight isn't as good as what I'd expect
from an ETEK---easily 1-1.5kw (if enough mechanical power available) and 20#
weight.

I guess I'll keep lobbying for him to ditch his PMA SC12 for an ETEK.
The problem with going to a 65% efficient alternator is that with our need
of at least 40amps into 13v, we'll end up having to cool 280watts of heat.
That may be fine on a car, an airplane, or in another air cooled
environment, but we don't need more heat to get rid of in the engine
room...at 40amps output, the ETEK should put out far less than even 100watts
of heat.

BTW, wanna know where you can spend the MOST $$$$ for an ETEK ?
Why it's Thermodyne Systems: http://www.hydrogenappliances.com/manta.html
Not only do they sell the ETEK for $995 or more ($1195
http://www.hydrogenappliances.com/pma.html ), but they also call it a
"MANTA" and will deny "high and low" that it's an ETEK motor.
Funny thing is that the specs and pictures undeniably show it to be an ETEK
and despite all that, they show the same type of lame performance curve as
their PMA motors.
Don't support these guys!  Support your friends and colleagues on the EVlist
instead: EVparts, Cloud, Thunderstruck, KTA, etc.

-Myles

Didn't I read somewhere that stepper motors output a more or less fixed
voltage?

Really fuzzy 10+ year old memory here.