  1) Poll Re: Dave Cloud's Rules ideas
        by Roderick Wilde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: 3 phase PM-long and heading OT
        by "Raymond Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Dave Cloud's Rules ideas
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: 3 phase alternator-why not an induction machine?
        by "djsharpe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) power transmission (was: Re: NEDRA rule changes)
        by Sam Uzi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Easy two motor adapter for Pan Bug.
  7) Re: NEDRA rule changes
        by "steve ollerton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: 3 phase alternator-why not an induction machine?
  9) RE: NEDRA rule changes
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Dave Clouds Rules ideas
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Poll Re: Dave Cloud's Rules ideas
        by "Christopher Robison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: Poll Re: Dave Cloud's Rules ideas
        by "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) RE: 3 phase PM-long and heading OT
 14) Re: Dave Cloud's Rules ideas
        by Ralph Merwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) test
        by "Virtual Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: NEDRA rule changes
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: NEDRA rule changes
        by "Chip Gribben" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Slot Car Idea.
        by Lightning Ryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Here's an ev for ya!
        by Lightning Ryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Electric Slot Drags was Re: NEDRA rule changes
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) RE: Dave Cloud's Rules ideas.
        by "Jamie Marshall \(GAMES\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Dave Cloud's Rules ideas.
        by "M.G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) SFEVA meeting Saturday
        by Sherry Boschert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: NEDRA rule changes
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: power transmission (was: Re: NEDRA rule changes)
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: NEDRA rule changes
        by "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) RE: 3 phase PM-long and heading OT
        by "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- I would like to take an informal poll to find out who on this list would build an electric race car if we had "Claimer Rules" and they wouldn't otherwise build one because of the voltage divisions. I would like to find out how much actual interest there is in this.

Roderick Wilde
NEDRA President

A couple of more thoughts. An alternator can produce continuously about
22amps without having to be cooled, so at 40amps it still will not be
producing tons of heat. About the same as two three light bulbs. More what I
would like to know about is, the Etek is very efficient, but a what rpm
ranges? Especially when you look at it as a generator, it might be very
efficient at one rpm, but worse than an alternator in another rpm. Some of
the newer designs of alternators, particularly the new Denso square wire
stator units found on the newer Chrysler products might actually out perform
it in the efficiency at certain rpms. They are a fair bit more expensive
than the CS130 series of alternators, but still a less expensive option than
an Etek.
Another thing to consider is serviceability. Can the Etek be serviced easily
on a Saturday afternoon at Jimmy Jack's Bait and Marina?
I may be a bit defensive but. OE manufacturers are really trying to make
good alternators. More efficient alternators reduce fuel consumption and
increase power output. They also provide all the power for the toys that
sell new cars. GM alone has 17KW of approved devices that they would like to
put in their vehicles. So they have a lot of incentive to create better
alternators, hence the whole reason they looked at 42 volts.
But to say that alternators are cheap, inefficient junk is unfair. How much
would I pay for one of the motor conversions you guys talk about, that has
all the same features as any typical modern alternator. Features such as
2200-18000 rpm operating range, load dump protection, over voltage
protection, avalanche diodes (voltage spike suppression at 32volts),
temperature compensation, soft start, compact size, adjusts to load 333
times a second, and last but not least it should last for 100,000+ miles
without being serviced in a 150F+ environment.
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying the Etek is a bad idea. I am just
curious if it is all that it is held up to be, and at the same time whether
or not everyone understands exactly what an alternator is capable of doing.

I read of a dirt circle track club that puts a $1000 price on the
winner's engine.

An analogous idea for electrics would be to put a $5k (about twice
the price of Orbitals, and the price could have classes, too) claim
price on the battery pack. Then you wouldn't be depriving someone of
their winning baby, and they could get another pack into it much
easier than rebuilding the whole EV.

Maybe another way to do this is to have a lead acid, or
Orbital/Optima spec class? The current winning setups of Godzilla + 2
DC motors + Orbitals can be had for less than the price of a new car,
it's hard for me to see how throwing money at the controller or motor
will buy you much. The easiest way to "buy" a win would be to get
Lion or Lipo batteries.

--- Virtual Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> EVDL Folks...
>
> The people at Cloud Electric will be posting to this forum for Dave
> Cloud,
> hence the name "Virtual Dave Cloud".
>
> We shall see how this goes.
>
> Here is the first posting by Virtual Dave -
>
> To set the record straight...
>
> It looks like I made a typo error in my original post. The word it
> should
> have been _if_ instead of _it_. So it appears everyone
> misunderstood me.
> (Sorry). So I will attempt to explain  claimers one more time.
> Dragsters
> will always compete  against Dragsters, Street cars will always
> compete
> against Street cars, and so on for the rest of the classes we have
> now. Lets
> say we divide into six different classes.
>
> First division unclaimable. This means no one can claim your
> vehicle. This
> is what we have now. Nothing will change This division is for
> competitors
> that wish never to sell their vehicles at any cost. The next five
> divisions
> might be like this.
>
>                100 K Division
>                  50 K Division
>                  20 K Division
>                  10 K Division
>                    5 K Division
>
> You can choose what division you enter. In other words what you
> would sell
> your vehicle for, plus extra to meet one of the categories. For
> example, if
> you are not willing to sell your vehicle for less than 75k , you
> would enter
> in the 100 K division. I hope this is clearer to everyone.
>
> Also any vehicle in the claimer division can be purchased at the
> end of the
> race not just the winning vehicle. This still excludes the
> unclaimable
> division which no one can purchase ever. If two or more people want
> to claim
> the same vehicle, then the Race Director or someone else could
> auction off
> even higher then the claimer division they entered.
>

> Yours Truly,
> Dave Cloud
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> 425 788 9293

=====

__________________________________
Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!

I would like to offer some real figures to consider.
John Wayland said that his Datsun would at 50mph need 156V & 47A. This
is 7.3kW. I have data for a Yanmar 1 cylinder Diesel type L100AE (24.78
cub inch & 3000RPM) that it would use 1.6kg per hour when producing
6.5kW at the shaft. Converting to electrical output this is at 90% eff
5.85kW. Not enough to power John's car at 50mph. Now say we use a
slightly bigger engine same efficiency, we will need 7.3/5.85x
1.6=2kg/hr. Distillate is quoted at .82 to .95 SG so using the mean of
.885 we need 2.26 litres per hour to drive it. You will have driven 50
miles on this much fuel which is .49 Imp gall and .59 US gall. This is
about 85mpg US. Of course the car would do 10% better if driving direct.
You may get the magic 100 if you went slower.
There may now be more efficient engines around.
David