  1) Re: Warning sound for approaching EV
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: 3 phase PM-long and heading OT
        by "Raymond Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: New EV Dragster
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: power transmission (was: Re: NEDRA rule changes)
        by "Andre' Blanchard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Compound wound motors
        by "Jack Knopf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: NEDRA rule changes
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: New EV Dragster
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  8) Re: Compound wound motors
        by Michael Shipway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Dave Cloud's Rules ideas
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: EVLN (pih: the solution is already with us)
        by "Will" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Compound wound motors
        by "Jack Knopf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: SiC Schottkys
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) RE: Warning sound for approaching EV
        by "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: Dave Cloud's Rules ideas
        by "Chris Tromley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: EVLN (pih: the solution is already with us)
        by "Ivo Jara" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: Warning sound for approaching EV
        by "Ivo Jara" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Looking for an appropriately electric horn for my truck,  Euro train
 style?
        by Paul Wallace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) EVS-21 Monaco April 4-7
        by "Mark Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Warning sound for approaching EV
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Compound wound motors
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Why bother saving factory EV's????
 22) Re: Warning sound for approaching EV
        by "Tom Shay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Disturbing energy use.
Hello to Al,

djsharpe wrote:

> A vehicle inspector warned that my EV (Diahatsu Charade) poses a risk to
> pedestrians cyclists because it is too quite. It needs according to him
> a continuous sound. I seek comments from other EV or hybrid users.
> Perhaps we could amplify the sound the brush gear makes or replicate the
> horn of a main line loco. What do you think?
>  David

David, it's simple...install a kick-ass sound system! What could be more
appropriate for a
warning sound, then the beat of  AC-DC playing 'High Voltage' in an EV?

:-)

See Ya....John Wayland
Blue Meanie, world's audio competition  EV
(everybody knows when this EV approaches!)

I wish I could give you efficiency numbers for alternators. All I have is
output curves, and I can measure temperature manually as well. We build a
Delco unit that is totally enclosed that runs at 22amps @ 14.7 volts. There
is a Leece Neville that puts out about 30amps at 14.2 (I think, it has been
awhile). Neither of these units get too hot to touch. I wouldn't want to try
and run either of them to 40amps, as they are enclosed. On my test bench a
regular fan cooled alternator will not get to hot too touch, barely warm, at
40amps, even after an hour. Mind you, the more I think about it could be
displacing 600watts of heat. But even when we try and warm them up by
blocking the air inlets, we need to get them over 60amps of output to really
raise the temperature.
The older style GM alternators were considered to need 1hp for 22.9amps of
output, times the pulley ratio. Newer alternators are of course more
efficient than these. The square wire Denso units produce extremely well in
low rpm and I would think are one of the more efficient units out there. The
new Bosch SAE J180 mount units and the EcoAir are the only two units I know
of that have published efficiency ratings over 70%.
If you want I can send you a CS130ACSE and you can test it, give it a try.
If you already have the brackets and pulley system for the old style GM, it
will bolt right in. If it works and seems efficient enough, you can keep it,
if not send it back. No harm down for trying?

I was going to vote for your dragster, but I live in
Ohio.
Here's the rules

WHO CAN ENTER: This Contest is open to automobile
owners who are legal residents of the State of
Illinois, 21 years of age and older as of 1/27/05.
This Contest is void outside the State of Illinois and
where prohibited by law. The following are not
eligible for the Contest: (1) employees and agents of
Allstate Insurance Company ("Allstate" or "Sponsor"),
Community-Centric Marketing ("CCM"), Not Traditional
Media ("NTM"), Seismicom, Inc., and their respective
parent, subsidiary, and affiliate companies, and
advertising and promotion agencies; (3) persons
providing support services to any sales agent
authorized to represent Sponsor or its parent,
subsidiary, or affiliate companies (whether those
persons are employed by agent or not); and (4) the
"immediate family members" and/or "household members"
of any of the persons set forth in (1) or (2) above.
"Immediate family members" shall mean parents,
stepparents, children, stepchildren, siblings or
spouses. "Household members" shall mean people who
share the same residence at least three months a year,
whether related or not.

http://www.allstateautopride.com/details.php?image_id=211

> Registration of a valid email address is required to
> vote.  One vote
> permitted per person per email address.  Voting
> period ends March 12th.
>
> We thank you for your vote.  Of course, we live by
> the Chicago motto ...
> vote early and vote often :)
>
> As the race season progresses, we will keep the list
> advised of our
> progress (and failures).  Eventually we will have a
> web page up, showing
> photos and general info about the vehicle and our
> guys.
>
> Hope to see you trackside.
>
> John Emde, Karl Klein and Kevin Zak

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Here is a page with some simple electric motors and a rail gun that kids could build.
http://www.scitoys.com/scitoys/scitoys/electro/railgun/railgun.html
________________
Andre' B.

At 08:52 PM 3/2/2005, you wrote:
Sam Uzi wrote:
> speaking of blue sky:
> would it be possible to xmit power via a plasma conduit?  perhaps
> guide the plasma with a beam of light (would that work? dunno my
> high-energy physics well enough)
>
> ...so maybe not practical for a moving vehicle, but - more
> realistically - I've been wondering recently if it is possible to
> use a plasma arc to power a free-floating (eg: magnetically
> suspended) rotor...

Sounds sort of like a rail gun... an electrically powered cannon that
propels the "shell" with a moving magnetic or electric field.

They sell a lot of solar-powered car kits to schools and hobbyists. Most
come with utter junk for the solar panels and motors, so they barely
work even in bright sunlight. One way around this (so the kids don't
feel like a complete loser) is to shine a bright light on them, or use
handheld mirrors to concentrate sunlight enough to make them work.

As for your solar motor; I once put two solar cells on the arms of a
"windmill" that was mounted on the shaft of a small AC motor. The solar
cells were wired back-to-back to the motor coil. When you positioned it
so the sun only illuminated 1 solar cell at a time, it ran! The solar
cells were alternately in sun/shadow/sun/shadow as it turned, and so
produced the AC needed to run the motor.
--
If you would not be forgotten
When your body's dead and rotten

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Say I have my 12 HP compound wound motor wired for cumulative compound. Is there any way to get any more HP from this motor with different wiring? Disconnect the shunt field maybe? Before some one says to buy a series motor, consider there are a heck of a lot of individuals out there that want to build an EV but can not afford the price of the ADC motors and Zilla controllers and labor of having some company do a conversion for them. An old forklift motor does quite well for experimenting and learning and can be picked up pretty cheap on ebay and other places.
visit my website at www.reverendgadget.com

--- Begin Message --- I realize all that, I have read it over and over again, I was looking for some experience "Out of the Box" on a compound wound motor. Say I disconnect the shunt leads, would the compound motor speed up like a series motor? I have tried disconnecting the shunt leads under load (I had this motor in a 42' Yacht), I even had a switch on the bridge to do this, but could not tell much difference, just slightly more amps. I thought maybe I might be missing something that someone with a lot of experience on compound motors might know about. What about adjusting the brushes, would this help increase HP when adjusted at full load, no load? I currently have the motor in a 1959 Berkeley. Direct drive, no tranny. 400 amps on take off at 48 or 96 Volts.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Shipway" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Seth Allen wrote:
> for power conversion with a higher PWM frequency, they start to make
> sense. 300V parts with some MOSFETs might be worth investigation for
> some DC-DC converters or a motor that has a very high fundamental
> frequency and not a lot of current.

But, reverse recovery in a diode is not loss per se. It is if you hard
switch, so a useless pulse of current shoots thru both the MOSFET and
diode. But high frequency, high efficiency designs don't do this anyway.
They use resonant or quasiresonant soft switching, or lossless snubbers,
or other techniques to effectively eliminate these losses even with
normal diodes.

The reverse recovery current in a schottky diode is charging a
capacitor, which is a lossless event. It only becomes a loss if your
circuit simply dumps or burns up the energy stored in that capacitor.

The only attraction I see with these SiC diodes is their ability to
operate at extremely high temperatures. This makes them attractive for
spacecraft and certain military hardware that must operate at these
temperatures. But I don't see EVs in their future.
--
"The two most common elements in the universe
are hydrogen and stupidity."    -- Harlan Ellison

David Sharpe asks:

> I seek comments from other EV or hybrid users.
> Perhaps we could amplify the sound the brush gear makes or
> replicate the horn of a main line loco. What do you think?

Every good question deserves another.
Why settle for one sound?
With an onboard PC you should be able to play whatever you feel like when
you go down the road---tempered by the legal sound limits of course.

When in downtown traffic, join the crowd: boombox mode.
When passing cars: mainline steam locomotive
When cruising neighborhoods: classic old aircooled VW 'ping ping ping'

Context-sensitive vehicle sounds...hmm..this could be fun!

-MT

David Thompson wrote:

> >Also any vehicle in the claimer division can be purchased at
> the end of
> >the
> >race not just the winning vehicle. This still excludes the
> unclaimable
> >division which no one can purchase ever.
>
>  What would probably happen in practice is that guys (and
> gals) in the same money bracket would just swap cars around,
> which could be enjoyable in its own way. Victor could show up
> at Woodburn and take the Zombie home that night, while
> Wayland gets to play with AC motors and Hondas for a few months.

Hi David,

Having been involved in professional racing (though not where claiming rules
were in place), my take on what would happen is a little different.

Money can make you fast, but not always.  Our modestly-financed team was
running Kawasaki KZ1000s (in the AMA Superbike series) and we beat the
Kawasaki factory team for the championship.  Ingenuity counts.  And it's
really hard to put a dollar value on it.  In EV racing I believe ingenuity
would count even more, because the application of electric propulsion to
drag racing is still pretty young.

Wining becomes a mix of money, how well you do your homework and how
creative you are.  I understand completely why Dennis Berube would refuse to
enter a claiming race.  Not only would your hardware and your time be gone,
so would your innovations and creativity.  Of course, there also exists the
likelihood that the claimer would run your car just as you left it and do as
well at first, but then as he has to keep it up he would lose ground.  He
wouldn't know what's important and what's not, how it must be maintained,
what *has* to be included with that else, etc.  He wouldn't get your history
or understanding of the car.  Claiming a car only gets you so much.

Running in a claiming class is a different kettle of fish.  It can make
sense when the technology has become fairly mature to add some interest.  It
can also make sense to create new interest for people who'd like to race but
just can't invest huge amounts.  I believe if a claiming class was added to
NEDRA, the most interest would be in the lowest-dollar range.  That could be
a very good thing.  Several people slapping together a $5k rail or
resurrecting an old door-slammer could actually get lots more people
involved.  But the claiming class(es) should be in addition to the present
ones.

Because claiming classes require a different sort of mindset, I think most
people would not consider running what they already have.  It's more
suitable to those who would think, "Y'know, I bet I could do some damage in
the $5k rail class if I dropped that old Presto in a quickie frame.  Hmmm,
what else would I need?"  If you go in thinking your car might be claimed,
you take a different approach than you would otherwise.  And FWIW, actually
claiming a car is not that common.  In most cases it's considered a sort of
extreme measure, but is exercised often enough to keep people honest.

I think it bears consideration.  I personally think it could be an
interesting addition to the present classes, without taking anything from
them.  I personally don't have time to get back into racing, but if I did
I'd be far more likely to build a low-buck claimer than risk my daily driver
or invest in a "real" racer.

HTH,

Please remember Brazil, they've been growing sugar cane for years, and run
their cars on alcohol, it works great, the only inconvenience is that their
cities stink (literally, they smell wierd ). Even though they claim that the
only residue of alcohol combustion is water.
But all in all, it has been a drain to the brazilian govt. They had to give
grants to the sugar cane plantations, and the govt funds part of the cost of
the alcohol to the end user, it has been a bad deal after all. The real
issue here is that electric power seems to be the cheaper (up to now)
alternative energy to fossil fuels. Provided that it's generated on
hidroelectric plants, because most of our countries still burn fossil fuels
to generate electricity. I guess we're just going to have to wait until oil
runs out.

But, all in all it's good to have a bunch of "freaks" ready for that day, it
raminds me of amateur radio stations, everybody laughs at them until a
national emergency comes, communications are then established by those
"wierdos" with large antennaes at home, so this will happen for sure with
EV's, they will laugh at them until oil runs out, then govts will start
calling in all the "wierdos", to make vehicles for them.

And in that day, 80 miles per charge will not seem that short won't it ?

Ivo.

visit my website at www.reverendgadget.com

I have heard that robots in industrial plants in japan play classical tunes
to warn workers of their approach, why not play mozart or beethoven while
coasting down the street ?

ivo

> I seek comments from other EV or hybrid users.
> Perhaps we could amplify the sound the brush gear makes or
> replicate the horn of a main line loco. What do you think?

Every good question deserves another.
Why settle for one sound?
With an onboard PC you should be able to play whatever you feel like when
you go down the road---tempered by the legal sound limits of course.

When in downtown traffic, join the crowd: boombox mode.
When passing cars: mainline steam locomotive
When cruising neighborhoods: classic old aircooled VW 'ping ping ping'

Context-sensitive vehicle sounds...hmm..this could be fun!

-MT

--- Begin Message --- My S-10 has a very anemic single tone horn. The stock unit. I have been contemplating upgrading, but I want an appropriate sound for an electric vehicle.

I seem to remember hearing the horn of a European electric railway engine on a film or documentary. I think that it was a high pitched minor second, very attention getting.

Does any one know of a source for an after market version of a horn with this sound? I was thinking that Bob Rice might have come across one, him being an electric train guy.

Paul Wallace
'91 Chevy S-10 full of SAFT nicads

Is anyone going to Monaco?  I could be a reporter again if anyone wants to send
me :-)  Mark

djsharpe wrote:
> A vehicle inspector warned that my EV (Diahatsu Charade) poses
> a risk to pedestrians cyclists because it is too quiet. It needs
> according to him a continuous sound. I seek comments from other
> EV or hybrid users.

Well, he is an inspector. Some inspectors are critics, and aren't happy
unless they find something to criticise. If there isn't anything, they
will make something up. If you find you are dealing with this type of
personality, then put a "red herring" in your design for them to find
and complain about, and that you can easily remove to make them happy.
:-)

On the actual problem -- lack of noise. He is correct that some people
depend on the noise from cars to warn them. They probably shouldn't, as
some cars are already very quiet. But, they do. I have startled
pedestrians many times with my EVs and Toyota Prius when a car they
though was off or parked moved!

The main answer is defensive driving. You (the driver) simply have to
watch out for pedestrians.

On noisemakers: I haven't added them on purpose, but most of my EVs have
had something that makes at least a little noise. My present EV has a
Curtis 1231C controller, which makes a slight whistle when it first
starts. My previous EV had a blower for cooling the traction motor that
sounded like a normal ICEs radiator fan motor. These sounds were
sufficient to warn people that the vehicle was in use.

I think the whistle is actually more effective than the fan noise. The
whistle is not loud, but it is distinctive. People notice unusual
sounds; otherwise they just fade into the background and will be
ignored.
--

Jack Knopf wrote:
> Say I have my 12 HP compound wound motor wired for cumulative
> compound. Is there any way to get any more HP from this motor
> with ifferent wiring? Disconnect the shunt field maybe?

Hi Jack,

A compound wound motor is more versatile than a series motor -- you can
do more with it to adjust its torque/speed/hp curves.

At what speed do you want more horsepower? If you want it at low rpm,
you strengthen the influence of the series field (probably by reducing
the shunt field current). If you want more HP at high rpm, then weaken
the series field (use the shunt field to control power).

Keep in mind that if you want more HP out, you have to put more HP in.
That means more amps from your battery. The controller must be able to
deliver more amps, too. The motor will also generate more heat, so you
have to improve its cooling.
--
"The two most common elements in the universe
are hydrogen and stupidity."    -- Harlan Ellison
--
Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377  leeahart_at_earthlink.net

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Why bother saving Factory EV's when you can convert a VW to electric power for around $2,000.00. I've been looking at the kit from http://www.e-volks.com/about.html and the simplicity & logic plus the fact that this would be a one weekend project makes me think that a simple plan that could be followed by many people might be more powerful than support from the big auto manufacturers. Just think if every conversion had a sign on it saying to hell with big auto manufactruers I built this electric car for 2k. Ask me how. Once people found out how siimple, practical & efficient electric is a movement might be started. The VW is great because here in the west and many other places (where they don't rust) there are thousands of VW's in driveways collecting dust and guess what. They have no motors. It is so easy to pop the motor out many owners take out the motor resolved to fix it and wind up not doing anything because of the DMV saying these are gross polluters. Many of these cars are in good condition with no motor. Perfect for EV conversion. I think I could with very little in the way of tools other than a drill make my own adapter. VW's are light and shipping back east wouldn't be too bad. They are cute and fun to drive. There is a huge business providing aftermarket parts for the myriad VW's still running. Lets start a movement. Lets support something that an average person can do. The VOLTSWAGEN. For people that want more range, power or room the kit can be modified to use two motors or a more powerful motor. A VW bus or transporter could be converted but these are more valuable as collectables so the price goes up. Backyard mechanics could turn out 5 of these a week creating jobs and people that didn't want to get dirty could just buy one. What a great thing to do to take a resource that is already there, that pollutes and turn it into a useful, and clean transportation tool.

What you need:
VW BUG(or any rear engine VW, this includes exotic kit cars) to 1978
Kit http://www.e-volks.com/about.html $1495.00 Adapter only is $595.00 and use your own parts. (I have no relation to this company)
Six 6v Golfcar batteries. 30 dollars used. New 55 to 70 dollars
One day work. Sweat equity.
Optional battery racks to put batteries in engine compartment or under hood(under hood the gas tank can be used if you cut the top off)
More powerful versions using two motors and more batteries.
What you get:
A simple, practical & inexpensive vehicle that will go 20 to 30 miles on a charge & have a 45mph top speed. Perfect for city use.
With modifications beyond the kit longer range and speed are available at a price.

Lawrence Rhodes
Electric Vehicle & Solar Power Advocate

----- Original Message ----- From: "djsharpe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>