        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Additional outside funding
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  3) RE: 3 phase PM-long and heading OT
        by "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: Dave Cloud's Rules ideas
        by Mark Hastings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: 100,000 volt DC power supply
        by "Christopher Robison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Why bother saving factory EV's????
        by "Jack Knopf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: the VOLTSWAGON (was: Re: Why bother saving factory EV's????)
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Disturbing energy use.
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: That other VW kit
        by Frank Schmitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Why bother saving factory EV's????
        by Tim Clevenger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: 100,000 volt DC power supply
        by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jukka_J=E4rvinen?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Additional outside funding
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) RE: Two Boost Options
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Dave Cloud's Rules ideas
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: 100,000 volt DC power supply
        by "Brown, Jay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: Warning sound for approaching EV
        by "djsharpe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: 3 phase PM-long and heading OT
        by "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: That other VW kit
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: Dave Cloud's Rules ideas
        by James D Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Shunt Regulators
        by Frank Schmitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Disturbing energy use.
        by Mike Chancey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) RE: Warning sound for approaching EV
        by "Claudio Natoli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Compound wound motors
        by Michael Shipway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
         Hi Bill and All,
--- Bill Dennis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm probably going to install a boost pack of BB600
> Nicads along with my TS
> cells and am considering two options, on which I
> wanted to get some
> opinions:
>
> 1)  Use a circuit like Doug Hartley designed, where
> the two packs are
> connected via a Schottky diode at their positive
> terminals.  The Nicad pack
> is slightly lower in nominal voltage than the TS
> pack, so the Nicads kick in
> only when the voltage sags on the TS pack (Doug
> posted some good
> explanations of this on the list last fall, using TS
> and PbA).

    I'd go with 1 as it with a little experience it
will be easy to make automatic by adjusting the
numbers of ni-cad cells.
    You should make it where both run out about the
same time to get max range also. With the stiffness of
the nicads and the sag of the TS's start with about
8-10% less charged resting voltage of the TS's for the
nicads and adjust from there with experience from
using them as your guide.
    Watering shouldn't be as bad a problem if you
don't overcharge them by just equalizing them every 5
charges or so and not charging until you run them at
least 1/2 way down if possible.
    You'll have to charge them seperately but you can
use one charger by making a cut-off circuit for the
nicads and let the charger go on to finish the TS's.
    Instead of the diode a contactor on each bank
would be better so the nicads can get recharged if
heavy currents are used a lot from the TS's while
coasting, stopped at a light, ect. If the voltage is
too close together the ni-cads could become discharged
and reverse a cell.
    So put voltmeters or better E-meters on each bank
until you achieve the best voltage ratio between the
banks.
   An E-meter can also control the charging of the
ni-cads by turning off a relay or the bank contactor
when they are charged, 105-110% of the withdrawn
amphrs, then letting the TS's go on until they are
charged by whatever means you will use for them. An
e-meter may be the ticket for them too but I don't
know that much about them yet on charging.
   What are you putting these in?
   Which TS cells?
   Pack voltage?
   Charger?
   Motor?
   Both batt types will need a break in period before
they settle down into a steady pattern, the ni-cads
about 5 cycles and the TS's ? cycles.

> 2)  Keep the two packs separate (tied together at
> negative, but separated at
> positive), with the Nicad voltage higher than the
> TS, right up to the max.
> voltage that the Curtis 1231C can handle.  When
> extra power is needed, the
> driver manually switches from one pack to the other
> via a dashboard switch.
> BB600s were intended for high current draws to begin
> with, so this might
> make sense and add some capacity, but at the expense
> of being manual vs.
> automatic, and of not allowing sharing of the load
> between the Nicads and
> the TS cells.  Plus, of course, I'd be carrying
> around the extra Nicad
> weight all the time, even when not using it.
>
> First option probably still seems the best to me,
> but I wanted to see what
> others thought.
>
> I picked Nicads over PbA because, even though
> watering will be a minor
> hassle, I've got a long uphill climb at the end of
> my daily commute.  Lots
> of power needed for about a 15-minute stint.
>
> Bill Dennis

In a message dated 3/3/05 12:57:57 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< What is something where you think "If I only had a lithium pack and the
bms to support it______, I could
 finally run lo 7s at over 178mph_in the qt.mi.____ ."Dennis Berube

Thanks Ray, for the generous offer on the alternator.
I've sent email to my friend to ask him if he's interested---I'll email you
off list if he's interested.

>On my test bench a regular fan cooled alternator will not get
>to hot too touch, barely warm, at 40amps, even after an hour.
>Mind you, the more I think about it could be displacing
>600watts of heat.

And that would be the problem for the steamgen application.
If to deliver 520watts ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) it means giving up 600watts to heat,
then
we need at least 1120watts of mechanical power, meaning 2-3HP of steam to
get only 520watts of electricity.
Are there performance curves for these that we could look at?

> The older style GM alternators were considered to need 1hp
> for 22.9amps of output, times the pulley ratio.

And that comes out to around 43% efficiency at 14v charge voltage.
> The new Bosch SAE J180 mount units and the EcoAir are the only
> two units I know of that have published efficiency ratings over 70%.
Checking the internet:
The Bosch units look nearly affordable ~ $300?
The Ecoair costs an arm and a leg ~ $1700+...
Both appear to claim good idle charge performance---which is the way to
think of our needs.

-Myles

$25,000 plus who knows how much time plus only a few runs a year? Yes that is
high dollar. I know people who spend lots less with a gasser that goes faster
and they run a lot more.

David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Are those cars really high dollar undertakings? $5k worth of orbitals
+ $5k work of motors + $5k worth of controller + $5k for the glider +
$5k for other stuff ($25k total) + lots of sweat equity means they
are still cheaper than any new gas car that could run those times. I
see the glass as more half full, you can actually be nationally
competitive for surprisingly cheap (relative to racing a gasser) with
an electric.

--- Roger Stockton wrote:
> Let's face it, where is the incentive for people to go out and
> build a
> vehicle that would end up competing against Maniac Mazda, Gone
> Postal,
> White Zombie or the KillaCycle in order to win a record when
> setting a
> record is the only (official) reward one gets?
>
> The only reason for singling these vehicles out is that they all
> happen
> to be fairly high dollar undertakings that most hobbiests simply
> can't
> compete with. We can't all get sponsorship from a battery company
> or
> motor company, or controller company and this makes it difficult to
> compete with teams that can afford multiple motors and controllers,
> or
> batteries the rest of us can't.

=====

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!

Maybe as a cute gee-wiz lightning effect at the back of your car, you
could switch it on when motor current goes above a certain threshold to
make a show of really pouring on the juice...  Or you could give your car
a self-defense mechamism to stun any intruder who tries to make off with
your stereo.

Other than that, there's probably not much use for it.

  --chris