  1) Re: cheap testing of multiple batteries
        by "Deuville's Rink" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Dave Cloud's Rules ideas
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) SuperCaps (Was: New EV Dragster)
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: C-Cars +: Cheap  VW Bug EV's and  Contactor controllers!
        by Mike Chancey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: 3 phase PM-long and heading OT
        by "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: BB600 weight, was Re: 914EV on ebay,, ooooo
  7) High qualty EV videos
        by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jukka_J=E4rvinen?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Wife hates smelly flooded batteries.
  9) Solectria BC1000 Charger Temp Sensor
        by Mike Chancey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Datsun Minitruck Mania!
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) DC motors and Siemens AC Motors
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Why bother saving factory EV's???? EV's for EVeryone or Amanda's EV
Workshop and Potluck.
        by "Tom Shay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Why bother saving factory EV's???? EV's for EVeryone or Amanda's EV
Workshop and Potluck.
        by Reverend Gadget <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: 914EV on ebay,, ooooo
        by Electro Automotive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Why bother saving factory EV's???? EV's for EVeryone or
 Amanda's EV Workshop and Potluck.
        by Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Candidate for conversion.
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 17) Re: Why bother saving factory EV's???? EV's for EVeryone or Amanda's EV
Workshop and Potluck.
        by "Tom Shay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Emeter & charge voltage=undercharged batts.
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Emeter & charge voltage=undercharged batts.
        by Chris Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: BB600 weight, was Re: 914EV on ebay,, ooooo
        by Chris Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Electric VW images
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Candidate for conversion.
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Emeter & charge voltage=undercharged batts.
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Emeter & charge voltage=undercharged batts.
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) DC/DC: where to buy Todd?
        by "Claudio Natoli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Emeter & charge voltage=undercharged batts.
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 20:06:48 -0500
  From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Why bother saving factory EV's????

I love your vision of cheap, home made, art cars tootling around town. I've got just such a VW in my Dad's driveway in Menlo Park and have long thought about converting it. (He's dead so he probably wouldn't mind; he was an electrical engineer. His wife leaves the car sitting there for sentimental reasons). Don't think I could do it by myself though. Anyone for a club project? One-day workshop?
Amanda

Amanda if you provide the parts I will personally come down for the one day workshop. It will be the EV version of Jimmy Carters Habitat for Humanity or in our case EV's for EVeryone. I'll bring tools and a crimper. I will help install your kit. Anybody that wants to come I hope you would invite. There are numerous people in the area that have great interest in this kit. Might be nice to have a potluck to go with the workshop. It should only take a few hours to do most of it. Of course there always little things to do that require special gadgets. However we should get your bug running in one afternoon. A lot of people could learn how simple this is to do.

Here is what you will need:
Your Daddy's VW. Which will be know afterward as not your Fathers VW.
The kit http://www.e-volks.com/about.html
6 US 125's or Trojan T105's or simular battery 6v golfcart or what the kit manufacturer recommends.
A Variac for the charger. During the day I can make a run with you to one of the surplus stores in San Jose or Santa Clara unless someone will donate or sell you a Variac. You will also need a $3.50 diode bridge and some circuit breakers 20 amp 36v should do.
A Volt meter
Some simple tools. Adjustable wrench, 1/2 inch wrench 9/16 wrench or 13mm & 14mm wrench & Screwdrivers A kit of metric and american wrenches would be good if you can afford them.. This will include the above wrenches . Wire tools I'll bring. Along with a welder, drills and misc. tools.
A DC/DC converter unless it is in the kit.
You can also use a Deep cycle 12v battery and charge with a seperate charger.
Optional. Angle iron for the rear battery box if you don't want the batteries behind the back seat.
I've emailed the manufacturer for an exact parts list.

Otmar if you want to drop by and check our progress or lend a hand you would be welcome as well as any other knowedgeable EVer's close by.

Oh yes taking the motor out. Is the motor out? Condition of the car. Tires, brakes etc. If the motor is in you might be able to sell it on Craigs List and I bet someone will come and take it out and maybe pay you to do so.

Amanda. Please email back how many people you have room for and when you want to do it. I am a Musician so I work some weekends so it'll have to be planned in advance. Should we call this Amanda's EV Workshop and Potluck? Lawrence Rhodes.........

With a proper shop a lot can happen in a few days. My
spitfire conversion has all of two short days ito it,
and I it will be done in two more(when I can find the
time). This is just the conversion part of the
equation, not any restoration. but if you start with a
clean old car, I don't see any reason why a competant
group of people couldn't do one on a weekend, with
proper planning. That's how we were able to pull off
all those builds on the BIG! show.

                              Gadget

=====
visit my website at www.reverendgadget.com

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- At 11:04 PM 3/4/05 -0500, you wrote:
Hi Chris, Shari, Otmar, and all,

If one has the good fortune to be starting off with a clean, corrosion-free
914, do you have any suggestions for corrosion prevention strategies to keep
it that way for many years to come?

Clearly one would be to keep the car garaged, while another would be to use
fully enclosed and sealed battery boxes such as those of Shari's
VoltsPorsche kit.

Any other corrosion-proofing/prevention measures you can think of or advise
for a clean 914 in excellent condition (including paint, i.e. which doesn't
need repainting)?

(All of those linked 914 rustbucket pics are pretty scary.  Hope to avoid a
similar fate, which unfortunately seems to be all too common for 914s!)

Depending on where you're located, if you're in a place with real winters where rust is common, there are companies that specialize in rust-proofing. They go so far as to drill holes into hollow cavities and spray rust preventative through the hole, then plug it up. That's in addition to an exterior undercoat.

If you cut any sheet metal, treat it or paint it with a rust preventative. The Eastwood catalog has several products for rust prevention, including an undercoating system. Their web site is http://www.eastwoodco.com

Mike Brown
Electro Automotive POB 1113 Felton CA 95018-1113 Telephone 831-429-1989
http://www.electroauto.com [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Electric Car Conversion Kits * Components * Books * Videos * Since 1979

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- At 12:04 PM -0800 3-5-05, Tom Shay wrote:
The thought of doing a one-day conversion on a VW blows my mind.
A project like this would take someone like me at least 3 months.

Getting the old VW ready for conversion might take a month.

Hi Tom,

The key of course is doing the preparation first. But a weekend conversion with a good kit is certainly possible. It only takes about 20 minutes to pull the engine out of a bug...

My 914 was first converted in one day, but many of the parts were just thrown in temporarily with duct tape plywood and drywall screws. Still, by the end of the day I was giving rides in it and it ran quite well. You can see pictures with time stamps from that day if you go to my site here:
http://www.evcl.com/914 and click on the The One Day Conversion, a Pictorial. Link.

--
-Otmar-

http://www.CafeElectric.com/  Home of the Zilla.
http://www.evcl.com/914  My electric 914

All this talk about converting a Beetle quickly had me looking thru e-bay.

If anyone is serious about doing it soon, take a look at;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4531770563&category=6019

I'ts in Huston, so rust should not be too bad.  This is two Superbetles.
Neither one runs, but both look ok.  Should be enuff parts for at least one and
probably two conversions if you spend the time/money to fix them both.

James

Otmar,  I did read and enjoy your story and pictures of your one-day
Porsche conversion.  It was an impressive demonstration.  It could
not have been done without your extensive experience with Volkswagens
and Porsches and EV conversions.  And you had good help.  It was possible
only because several days were spent in preparation for the big day
and many days after to complete myriad details.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Otmar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>