  1) RAV4 Info link changed
        by Sherry Boschert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Emeter & charge voltage=undercharged batts.
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Dave Cloud's Rules ideas
        by "Virtual Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: Emeter question
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) just one more thing
        by "Virtual Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: 600 volt AC S10
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: 0-10V controller input?
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: DC motors and Siemens AC Motors
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Dave Cloud's Rules ideas
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: DC motors and Siemens AC Motors
        by Electro Automotive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) (Flooded) battery shipping advice sought
        by "Markus L" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: (Flooded) battery shipping advice sought
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Dave Cloud's Rules ideas
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Contactor Straight to Motor Test OK?
        by "Patrick Maston" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: (Flooded) battery shipping advice sought
        by James Jarrett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: Peukerts for LI-Poly (was Re: Additional outside funding)
        by "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) BB-600 NiCad Cells
        by "Tim Humphrey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) 4 wd at?
        by mike golub <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: Railroad - or roller coaster?
        by "Markus L" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: BB-600 NiCad Cells
        by "Christopher Robison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: 0-10V controller input?
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: 4 wd at?
        by Frank Schmitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Contactor Straight to Motor Test OK?
We've got 4 people so far interested in a joint order
of the RAV4 Info, and we need at least 10.

The link to read about RAV4 Info has changed -- you
can find it at http://dme-inc.com and click on RAV4
Info.

Let me know off-list if you're interested in ordering
with us.

Sherry

__________________________________
Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!

Yea all my meters and E-meters are within 1/2 a volt charging and
discharging.
I have had no real issues with not trusting a E-meter.
I have had some really noisey chargers and the E-meters hold up very well.
    The chargers are darn near silent...compared to the way the BETAs
radiated.

Today's RF night mare is the PWM from a OLD T-Rex controller getting into my
Measurement Computing's PMD-1608FS 16 bit A to D module.
The RPM channel on the Dyno has eaten up  few Days if tinker time...
Yesterday We put the Scope on it, and read the PWM Frequency and could see
the turn off spike move as the PWM command was changed. No issues seeing the
PWM percent... then we realized the socpe was not hooked up yet!! THAT's
some RF!. Keep in mind that almost all the time a PFC20B right out of
inventory...read well broken in.. Is keeping the 96 volts of the carppiest
Yts I have left topped off. Blip dyno, listen to the Iso former moan... Note
that the Batteries are almost already back up to voltage before the motors
coast down.
    So.. I am battleing RF cross conduction, Ground loops, and AC coupled
noise, and all this then gets dumped into this DELL. So.. a screwup on the
dyno can NUKE my $2500 main PC.

Dinner calles see ya, GOT data.. almost goode enough to share..

in the technical section at www.austinev.org
Rod
wrote:

> Just to say: Alltrax serie controllers have a Taylor
> Dunn parameter for
> their controller (they indicate something about 6 to
> 10V command signal)
>
> Philippe
>
> Et si le pot d'�chappement sortait au centre du
> volant ?
> quel carburant choisiriez-vous ?
>  http://vehiculeselectriques.free.fr
> Forum de discussion sur les v�hicules
�lectriques
> http://vehiculeselectriques.free.fr/Forum/index.php

* LP8.2: HTML/Attachments detected, removed from message  *

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Wilde Evolutions converted an old-school Land Rover to electric power. I don't know the exact story, but part or all of W.E. transformed itself into EVParts.com.

The two downsides to AWD vehicles are additional driveline losses and additional weight (and in some cases, less room for batteries). But it can definitely be done.

The trouble I think you might run into is that standard EV batteries (lead-acid) don't work very well in cold weather. So you're looking at either battery heaters or more exotic chemistries (I'm not sure which ones are cold-weather compatible, but I'd look at NiMH and LiIon).

Googling for "Electric Vehicle Custom Conversions" (what EVCC stands for) brings up the following:

Electric  Vehicle Custom Conversions Larry Foster (818) 913-8579

HTH,

-Frank

Patrick Maston wrote:
> I'm only getting 200A at full throttle from my Curtis 1231C-8601
> to the motor on my 1981 Jet Electrica.

Where are you measuring current -- battery, or motor? And how are you
measuring it? Could your meter be wrong?

First, I'd see if the potbox is actually calling for full throttle.
Measure its resistance; it should change from 0 ohms to 5k ohms as the
throttle is moved from fully released (off) to fully depressed (full
power. The controller actually starts turning on at around 300 ohms, and
is fully on over 4400 ohms.

Second, there is a current limit adjustment pot hidden behind one of the
screws on the side of the case. It might be cranked all the way down,
and so be limiting your current.

Next, measure the actual voltage that you are getting across your motor
at full throttle. You'll have to use a good quality meter for this, as
the voltage is very noisy! When the motor is a high rpm and the throttle
is floored, you should see essentially full pack voltage (minus no more
than 1-2 volts).

Finally, how is your motor geared? If geared to force motor rpm too low,
then the controller never comes out of current limit. You may have 200
amps from the battery, but are delivering 400-500 amps to the motor (at
reduced voltage). If this is the problem, shift or change your gear
ratio to let the motor spin up faster.

> I am considering wiring the contactor directly to the motor and
> closing the contactor momentarily to see how many amps I get with
> the controller out of the loop. Are there any potential problems
> in doing this?

LOTS of potential problems! The current won't be limited. If you close
that contactor with the motor stopped or at low rpm, it will draw some
frightening current (it easily could exceed 1000 amps). This can blow
fuses, weld contactors, rip out the motor coupling, break something in
the drive train, or overspeed the motor and destroy it. If the
controller is still in the circuit and you open that bypass contactor
when the motor is 500+amps, it can destroy the freewheel diodes in the
controller.

However, this is what is done in a contactor controller, and things
survive. The difference is that a contactor controller brings the motor
up to speed in steps, so you don't hit it with full voltage until it is
turning fast enough so the peak current won't be high enough to break
anything.
--
If you would not be forgotten
When your body's dead and rotten