  3) Re: BB-600 Nicad Cells
        by Rush <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: wind charger and BB600's?
        by "Tim Humphrey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: BB600 Purchase
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: BB-600 Nicad Cells
        by Tim Clevenger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: 9" ADC aft mounting holes (rather, lack thereof)
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: BB-600 Nicad Cells
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: BB-600 Nicad Cells: SoCal & NorCal group buy?
        by Tim Clevenger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Sppon Fedding BB600's
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Spoon feeding BB600's.
        by Rush <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: BB600 charging
        by Rush <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: washingtonpost: Fans of GM Electric Car Fight the Crusher
        by Mark Farver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: wind charger?
        by Keith Richtman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: wind charger?
        by "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: DCP DC/DC used with Zilla was Jeep EV Update DC/DC is DEAD
        by Jim Coate <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: DCP DC/DC used with Zilla was Jeep EV Update DC/DC is DEAD
        by Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Sppon Fedding BB600's
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: BB-600 Nicad Cells: SoCal & NorCal group buy?
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Jeep EV Update DC/DC is DEAD
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Rewinding 3 phase AC motors
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: BB600 charging
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: FW: BB600 charging
        by "Tim Humphrey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: 9' ADC aft mounting holes (rather, lack thereof)
        by Reverend Gadget <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Would it be possible to have a 48V pack charged by the AIR-X and use the
48 V pack for dump charging the flooded 36 V pack?  The totally
discharged 48V pack at 1.75V per cell (42 Volts) is very close to the
totally charged voltage of the 36 V pack at 2.44V per cell
(44V)...floodeds are pretty forgiving.

Lynn

See my 100% electric car at http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/379.html

From: "Seth Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> P.S. you guys want to have a group buy on cell interconnects, now that
> you can order them in the thousands.

It's interesting that you posted this at this time James.

I was just contemplating offering any remaining BB600's to the A.E. list
for the same deal, for use as a battery bank for Solar | Wind | MicroHydro
applications. I myself will be using some for that purpose.

Anyway, just a thought you might want to consider, I don't have any
interest yet in your area, so there's really no rush as combining shipping
is not yet applicable.

For everyone else.....

There are shipments headed to;

Phoenix AZ,

Austin TX,

Los Angeles CA,

Vancouver WA,

So if you're wondering if there's anyone in your area you can combine
shipping with, these are confirmed area's so far. Tentatively, it looks
like these shipments will be well less than a buck a cell.  The bigger the
load, the less the per cell price.

To answer a common question:

These cells have never been used, and were manufactured in 2000.

I'm not trying to get rich on these things, just trying to finance my
Grin. and pass on a good deal.

--

Stay Charged!
Hump

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Dangit, I wish I had the money and storage space to get some of these. Since the shelf life is so long, I can keep them on hand until the rest falls into place.

Tim Humphrey wrote:

For those of you that can't get through, or those that are interested and
haven't paid yet....

I have set up a quick and dirty ebay listing

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3880658968

search BB600 if the link doesn't work.

You can use this to reserve and pay for the number of cells you desire. After all of the orders are in, then we will figure out the best way to ship them. There are quite a few people that have expressed interest and are only about 100 miles from each other, and obviously can save quite a bit on shipping costs by combining pallets. Each person will have the final say in how their order is to be shipped, but I will be able to suggest "partners".

For those that planned to pay via my e-mail instructions, it will save me
a few cents by not using ebay, but ebay will provide a nice "database"
feature for me too, so I guess it's a wash. Use what you're comfortable
with.

I hope I've been able to reply to everyones questions. If not, hit me
again please.

I'm looking at about 20 cycles a month of maybe 75% DOD maximum.
Could I get away with undercharging enough to water every 30-45
cycles if I just do an equalizing charge once every two weeks or
once a month?  How quickly could these get out of balance enough to
reverse a cell at 75% DOD?

Tim

----------

Mike Brown wrote:
> These holes were put in the end bells of the ADC motors SPECIFICALLY
> to be used for mounts, because EV suppliers such as ourselves
> requested them. That is what they have been used for, for about 15
> years now. I have never, ever heard of a failure because this piece
> was not strong enough to do the job.

Mike, I believe most of your experience has been with VW Rabbits or
conventional front-engine rear-drive vehicles? I can believe that the
ADC end bell mount is adequate in these cases.

But, the Porsche 914, the Renault LeCar, the old Chevy Corvair, and a
few other vehicles have a different setup that puts considerably more
stress on the motor mount. These vehicles all have transaxles, where the
electric motor, transmission, and differential are all one unit. This
entire assembly reacts to wheel torque as a whole. If you have 100
ft.lbs of torque at the motor, and have a 3:1 first gear and a 4:1
differential, then you have 100x3x4=1200 ft.lbs of torque on this
assembly.

Also, the motor in these vehicles has a front-rear orientation. The
motor sticks way out, putting the motor mounts far out on the end bell.
The torque reaction is trying to push the end bell sideways. This force
has to be handled by 4 long skinny bolts running the length of the
motor. Two of them are basically in compression and aren't helping much.
The other two are in tension, and are doing most of the work.

This situation is quite different from a front-wheel-drive setup with a
left-right engine, like a VW Rabbit and most other modern cars. In these
cars, there are already two tranaxle mounts, one forward, one rear, to
handle most of the wheel reaction torque. The mount at the end of the
electric motor is mainly to support the motor+transaxle assembly from
side-to-side loads, which are *far* less (basically, just a fraction of
the weight of the assembly. Wheel reaction torque *subtracts* from the
dead load due to the weight of the assembly, rather than adding to it.

Likewise, a front-engine, rear-drive vehicle has the the differential
mounted separately from the engine+transmission. Now the motor mounts
don't have to handle wheel torque reaction; they only have to handle
motor+transmission torque reactions. In the example above, 100 ft.lbs at
the motor becomes 100x3=300 ft.lbs with a 3:1 first gear. The motor
mounts thus carry only 1/4th the load. Also, this torque is apply
torsion to the motor's end bell, not a side load. In torsion, all 4 of
the long skinny bolts can help (plus the anti-rotation tabs on the end
bells and outer housing).

I *have* a Renault LeCar EV. It has a wimpy little ADC 6.7" motor, and a
Curtis 1231C controller turned down to 400 amps max. Yet, I *did* break
the motor mount! It is a clamshell mount; basically a top bar that
connects the LeCar's stock ICE motor mounts, with a half-circle band
around the top half of the motor, and a bolted-on half-circle band
around the bottom half of the motor. The torque was so large that it
tore apart the welded seams between the top 2"x0.25" aluminum bar and
the 2"x0.25" top band.

I also have a 1965 Corvair with the turbocharged 180hp engine. In my
younger more-foolish days, I *did* rip out the motor mount from the huge
wheel reaction torque. It was a relatively common problem in
high-powered Corvairs.

I'm an engineer, but not a mechanical engineer. I can't calculate the
exact stress levels, and tell you at what torque the ADC motor's end
bell bolts will stretch or pull out. But I *do* have enough training and
experience to tell you that it will be a *lot* easier to do it in a
Porsche 914, Renault LeCar, or Chevy Corvair than in any other vehicle!
It's a weak point in the design.
has!" -- Margaret Mead
--
Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377  leeahart_at_earthlink.net

I'm rather interested in electric motorcycles.  Seems just 100 of these
would make a nice 120V system @34 Ah, and 350 Lbs.

Not bad for a bike, I think -- any thoughts?

Bryan B wrote:

Hi,
Anyone in the northern california looking to buy some? Shipping for 300 is over 525, but for more cells coming to california, the cost-per-unit should go down.
Interested? We would pay Tim individually, then pay for the total shipping using freightquote.com. Could store them here if needed for pickup? I get a sizable discount through them. Or can someone get even more of a discount? Any better ideas?
Bryan

Hi Gadget,

That works for me.  That also takes the pressure off, since if
I picked them up in NorCal, I'd be hand-loading them into
a rented pickup.  :-)

I'm not sure how many I'm getting.  At least 70, possibly 140.

Tim

---------
> > Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 20:37:06 -0800 (PST)
> From: Reverend Gadget <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: BB-600 Nicad Cells: SoCal & NorCal group buy?
> To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
>
> I haven't made any shipping arrangements yet. but let
> me know how many are coming to LA and can get quote.
> I'm hoping that we can get the shipping below 1 buck a
> cell. weekend pick up is no problem as I live in my
> warehouse. I can even store them for a little while if
> that helps anyone.
>
>                         Gadget

--- Begin Message --- I am planning on getting a few hundred as soon as I found out if I have a tax return (today?) I would love to solve the watering issue. It is gonna be a busy summer (when I am out of school)

Here is a side note:
I work at a plastic injection molding company!
Molds can be made out of alum for low $ and medium scale production(<100K shots/year) of non-filled plastics(non abrasive).
2 of our machines take a graphite electrode in the shape of the finished part (same material as brushes) and use a servo to maintain a sparkgap in a bath of dieltric fluid, the sparks blow away the alum(or steal) in a controlled manner, Come back in a few hors and you have a mold for the shape of the graphite electrode. (Creativly called EDM, Eletrical Discharge Machining)

China is an great option for larger quantities than we need.

Excellent Chris,
You read my mind...

How do the other bb600 bat people feel about this?

Chris, can you put some space that will handle files that we can send you,
upload to the site, and then have them posted so we can all access the info? I
realize there are security problems and if we send them to you, then that could
become a pretty big burden. But as you point out the upside is pretty large, ie
getting Saft to sell us a quantity of cell toppers or watering plugs.

Although I'm a newbie to the EV field, I'd certainly be willing to act as some
sort of a filter for files and such.

Rush
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 20:37:06 -0800 (PST)

From: Reverend Gadget <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: BB-600 Nicad Cells: SoCal & NorCal group buy? To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

Nick Viera wrote:

> Oh $hit!
>
> I was charging my 12 volt battery with my brainless "car battery"
> charger as I now have no DC/DC. Well, I forgot that I left the charger
> on the 10 amp setting. It had been on for like 2.5 hours and the voltage
> had gone up to 17.3 volts when I caught it and the battery was hot! I
> immediately disconnected the charger (after muttering some obscenities
> to the stupid charger). It was a good thing the battery was really low
> when I started charging or It probably would've gotten to an even higher
> voltage. Did I just ruin my sealed Hawker Odyssey battery or did I only
> hurt it badly? :-(

You probably caused it to vent and gas off some water. This will shorten
its life, but it won't die immediately.

Actually, if the battery was hot, it was probably in thermal runaway.
The voltage had been even higher earlier, and was probably *falling* as
the battery kept getting hotter!
has!" -- Margaret Mead
--

Mike Barber wrote:
> I am thinking about getting a 3 phase motor rewound to put into
> an electric vehicle. It has a rated continuous hp of 27.

Wow. That's a big motor! Probably a couple hundred pounds?

> How much peak hp would it be possible to squeeze out of this thing
> if it is going to be rewound?

Everything depends on heat. How much power for how long? How much
cooling are you providing? Starting with a cold motor, you could get
some stupefying amount of torque out of it for 10 seconds. The
horsepower will then depend on the rpm.

See if it has cast aluminum windings on its rotor. If so, you'll melt
the aluminum out of it before the copper stator windings fail.

> 38 exide orbital batteries gives a nominal batt voltage of 456V.

Wow again. Heavy pack. Is this vehicle competition for "Going Postal"?

> Orbitals can put out 1000A at 10.1V... which equals 383kW.  This
> translates to a peak achievable hp of 513 at the motor shaft.
> Assuming 85% efficiency, this reduces to 436 hp.

You will get less efficiency at these power levels. More likely 60-70%.

> In order to get the motor to take 1000A, I did some specific heat calcs for
> copper and it looked like 6 gauge wire would be needed if I was going to
> sustain this current for 10 seconds and stay below the max insulation
> temperature.

Just as for DC PWM controllers, the AC motor's current is *not* the same
as pack current! The AC inverter is stepping down the voltage, and so is
stepping UP the current.

Roughly speaking (i.e. when using an inverter that applies the "right"
voltage and frequency for a given speed and torque), an induction
motor's current is still proportional to torque, and motor voltage is
proportional to rpm. Your 1000 amps of motor current could easily occur
at max torque / low rpm where the AC voltage being applied by the
inverter is quite low, so battery current is much smaller than 1000
amps.

Figuring out what basic voltage to wind the motor for is somewhat of a
challenge. For starters, let's say that your motor is nameplate rated at
480vac 3phase 60hz 3500rpm 27hp.

1. The rotor can probably withstand 2x the speed, or 7000rpm. Since
   speed is proportional to voltage, you'd have to apply 480x2=960vac
   at 120hz to get to this speed.

2. To produce a 960vac sinewave takes 960x1.4=1344vdc. But your Optimas
   only supply 456vdc. 456/1344=0.34, so we want to rewind the motor
   for about 0.34 of its nameplate voltage. 0.34x480vac=163vac.

3. Whoever is rewinding the motor will look at the winding space
   available, and count the present number of turns. They will put
   back 0.34 as many turns, and increase the wire size by the same
   ratio (roughly 1/3rd the turns of 3 times bigger cross-section
   wire).

> 1) Is it feasible to wind a motor with 6 gauge wire?

You can wind it with *any* gauge, right up to the point where a single
bar fills the entire slot (1 turn per slot).

But it's a matter of cost. Heavier wires are harder to bend, and crowd
into the slots. It takes more time, and so it costs you more.

Most AC motors use many turns of relatively fine wire. They can wind the
coils on wooden pegs on the bench, bundle them loosely with string or
tape, and then crowd the loose bundles of wire into the slots in the
stator.

At the other extreme (very few turns of very heavy wire), they custom
make bussbars to fit the slots, slide each turn in individually, and
weld the ends together to form the complete windings. This also goes
fairly quickly if there aren't too many slots and turns.

In between these extremes, they have to get creative. Sometimes they use
many smaller wires in parallel, so they are easier to crowd into the
slots. Other times they have specialized equipment or special stator
constructions that allow for large stiff wire bundles.

> 2) Would I be encroaching on saturating the stator or rotor with
>    these types of power levels?

You might, but it's the inverter's job to keep you out of saturation. It
won't apply too high a voltage for the present rpm and frequency, to
avoid saturation.

> 3) Would I be able to get a rotor which would take this current,
>    or does it get rewound during the rewind process as well?

Rotors don't need to be rewound regardless of the stator voltage. The
main problem with the rotor is that is will have been designed for
fixed-frequency 60hz use, to achieve some compromise in starting
current, torque, slip, temperature rise, etc. It is hard to change this
(except by replacing the rotor).

Low-slip rotors are best for EVs, because they are the most efficient
and run the coolest. But, they are rare on motors designed for fixed
frequency (50-60Hz) operation, because they cause low starting torque
and very high starting current -- a bad compromise. A low-slip motor has
a nameplate rpm very close to synchronous speed (3510-3550 rpm).

Normal-slip rotors are much more common. They sacrifice a few percent
efficiency to get more starting torque and lower starting current when
started directly on 50-60hz. For your purposes, a normal-slip rotor will
overheat twice as fast. A normal slip motor has a nameplate rpm like
3450-3500 rpm.

High-slip rotors are used in motors that must start high-torque loads,
like compressors. They are the least efficient, but start the best on
fixed-frequency AC. A high-slip motor has a nameplate rpm like 3300-3400
rpm.

Finally, if the motor is being rewound for inverter use, have them use
the very highest temmperature wire, and very best insulation. An EV
motor is likely to get VERY hot at times, and the inverter can produce
VERY large voltage spikes.
has!" -- Margaret Mead
--

--- Begin Message --- Rush wrote:
Bill,

You had a post before saying that the BB-600 are Marathon cells. Are they? We are under the impression that they are Saft cells. Can you elaborate more on what makes you think that they are Marathon? Is it just the size?

Ok, here's the deal.

BB600 cells are a certain size and type. They have specifications for size, capacity, and all that sort of thing. Airplanes use them, Army used them for some sort of rocket interceptor thingie. Kind of like the fact that Trojan, Exide, and everyone else makes a "T105" type battery. Standard size, capacity, etc. How they do it inside is up to the manufacturer.

Different manufacturers made the batteries under the specs set forth. Marathon made them, SAFT made them. These are SAFT batteries according to the contract. Also according to the contract these seem to be the "better" batteries that have a more durable inter-cell seperator layer.

BB600 is a military designation.

Saft, G.E., and Marathon all build and supply to the BB600 spec.

Neither company refers to their own cells as BB600, only the DoD and EVDL
call them BB600 ;-)

and one other note;

These cells are not BB600's they are BB600A/A. The A/A uses a
longerlasting polypropylene separator as opposed to the cellophane
separator in the BB600. Other than the separator, they are the same thing.

--

Stay Charged!
Hump
"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right!" --Henry Ford

Take the end bell off and send it to me. I can put
those holes in it for you in less time than we have
spent chatting about it.

                         Gadget

visit my website at www.reverendgadget.com