  1) Evercel-related battery questions
        by Derrick J Brashear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Renualt LeCar
        by Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: X19?
        by "Paul Compton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Letter to oregonian RE: gas prices & EVs
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Stirling Engine
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Renualt LeCar
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Renualt LeCar
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Stirling Engine
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Russco Charger
        by Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: New EV Dragster
        by "STEVE CLUNN" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Selectria Sunrise as replacement for EV-1 and Re: Rabbit replacement
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Transistor Votage Question
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Series motor runaway
        by "Deuville's Rink" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: federal $$ spent on EV1?
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Renualt LeCar
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Getting more EV's on the road
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: Electric Diahatsu Charade
        by "Claudio Natoli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) FYI: 2005 Optima Battery Sponsorship Form
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Power brakes (long)
        by "Joe Strubhar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: Measuring power required for air & tire resistance
        by "Claudio Natoli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Optima(Interstate) & Exide - Which one likes EV's?
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Cupertino
        by "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: EV-1 Blurb in AZ Republic
        by "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: EV-1 Blurb in AZ Republic
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) GE Motor specs?
        by "M.G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: EV-1 Blurb in AZ Republic
        by Derrick J Brashear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) RE: Stirling Engine
        by "prime" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) RE: Getting more EV's on the road
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Re: Stirling Engine
--- Begin Message --- 1) Anyone using Rudman regulators with Evercel M100 (the 7 cell variant) batteries? Any special issues?
2) the Evercels have screw terminals, and the welding cable from the front to the rear of my car uses post clamps. Rather than messing around otherwise, is it possible to get screw-in battery posts for the Evercels?
I think I'm searching for the wrong thing.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- At 9:01 PM +0100 3-20-05, Philippe Borges wrote:
exactly what i mean.
maybe you make sort of strong spring between the pads helping them to stay
away from rotor when there is no brake pressure ?

I've often thought of this, but as I see it the spring would have to be very short travel and would have to somehow slide on its mount as the pads wear. This is because if you push the piston in too far you will have to pump your brakes to get them to work. So you don't want a spring that can push the pads very far.

Ever replace the pads on a car (which involves retracting the pistons) and then try driving without pumping the brakes first? It's not a good feeling to have the pedal go to the floor!

--
-Otmar-

http://www.CafeElectric.com/  Home of the Zilla.
http://www.evcl.com/914  My electric 914

The Fiat X1-9 was rather overbuilt (especially for a Fiat) to maintain body
rigidity in spite of its being an open roadster.

The X1/9 was built to comply with proposed US safety regs. for open vehicles that would have required passing a 50mph frontal inpact, 30mph side and surviving the forces involved in a simulated 80mph roll-over. The US car industry managed to get the legislation dropped after they claimed it simply wasn't possible to build such a vehicle. It had the highest torsional stiffness of any open top production car in the world when introduced.

The problem is that all the X1-9s are quite old now, and long out of the US
market. Spares availability is apt to be a significant concern.

The X1/9 is a parts bin special, being directly derived from the Fiat 128 and in fact bearing a 128 series number. When the Strada (Ritmo) came along (designated the138) the X1/9 was upgraded so parts can be scavanged from many models if you know compatability. Fiat rarely change parts that work and for instance the brake disk used all round on the X1/9 was introduced on the front of the 128 in 1966 and is still used on Fiats to this day. Useful upgrades in the UK are the vented disk setup and heavy duty gear cluster from the 130bhp Uno Turbo and rear calipers from the Polish built FSO pickup trucks (had one, great piece of kit).

I've owned and driven several IcsUnoNoves (Including a twincam conversion) and also driven several MR2s. The Toyota build quality shines through, but the character of the car is very different. Nucio Bertone was designing a pure drivers car, whilst Toyota were building a sports car for the person who didn't reall want one. The handling of the MR2 is 'safe' and nowhere near as sharp as the X1/9. It holds the road better due to substantially more rubber in the road and the 120bhp engine does rather put the 85bhp (UK spec) 'cooking' 1500 of the Fiat to shame, but I know which I prefer. Where the MR2 really falls down though is packaging. Despite being longer, wider, and heavier, it's barely got any more cabin space and has about half the luguage capacity. Toyota also chickened out of doing a proper Targa top, opting instead for a T top. This may have been for torsional stiffnes reasons, but more likely was down to being unable to stow a one piece roof like the X1/9.

Paul Compton www.sciroccoev.co.uk

Bob Bath wrote:
> Guys, I had a field day with an article today.  Always
> keep it short; no diversions to Iraq, etc.  Enjoy, and
> cross fingers it gets printed.
> peace,

A GREAT letter, Bob! Let's all hope it gets printed!
--
"The two most common elements in the universe
are hydrogen and stupidity."    -- Harlan Ellison

Another idea occurred to me. A friend builds technological display devices for museums. One he showed me recently was a thermoacoustic whistle. No moving parts; just a hot end that is heated with a parabolic reflector by sunlight, and a finned cold end cooled by the air. Aim it at the sun, and it produces a loud, piercing whistle. An array of them (one for each musical note) with blades of a windmill casting shadows over them plays a tune.

There are also acoustic generators, that turn sound vibrations into
electricity. Basically, high-powered versions of a microphone. I wonder
if you could use a thermoacoustic whistle to generate electricity? You'd
have a heat-to-electricity generator with no moving parts. :-)

I have been directly involved in the development of thermo-acoustic refrigeration and compressors. While simple and elegant, they are not terribly efficient. (The refrigerators tend to be more efficient than the compressors, by the way.)

The "no moving parts" aspect is very tempting for some applications. For ordinary use where you can do ordinary routine maintenance, the large reduction in efficiency is not worth the reduction in routine maintenance.

Conversely, Stirling engines can have very high efficiency and low routine maintenance.
_ /| Bill "Wisenheimer" Dube'
\'o.O' <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
=(___)=
Check out the bike -> http://www.KillaCycle.com

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- At 01:20 PM 3/20/2005, you wrote:
At 9:01 PM +0100 3-20-05, Philippe Borges wrote:
exactly what i mean.
maybe you make sort of strong spring between the pads helping them to stay
away from rotor when there is no brake pressure ?

That is why most disk brake calipers have square "o-ring" type seals. The seal rocks slightly in the groove when you apply the brakes. When the pressure is removed, the square o-ring settles back into the groove and tends to draw the piston back slightly.

If you wanted to draw the piston back more, I suppose you could find a thicker square o-ring and machine the groove to accommodate it.

_ /| Bill "Wisenheimer" Dube' \'o.O' <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =(___)= U Check out the bike -> http://www.KillaCycle.com

Philippe Borges wrote:

> exactly what i mean.
> maybe you make sort of strong spring between the pads helping them to stay
> away from rotor when there is no brake pressure ?

Yes; this is the sort of thing that would need to be added.

A related problem is that I think modern car designers want there to be
very little pedal movement before the brakes actually engage. On old
drum brake cars with manual brakes, the brake pedal could move a modest
distance 1/2" or so" before the brakes actually operated. This movement
is what moved the brake shoes the 1/8" or so needed to touch the drums.

Nowdays, they seem to want negligible free-pedal movement. This means
negligible slack between pads and rotor. So, just adding a return spring
won't help all that much, because the clearance is so small that tiny
amounts of bearing runout or out-of-roundness in the the rotors will
still make the pads touch.
has!" -- Margaret Mead
--
Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377  leeahart_at_earthlink.net

>          I have been directly involved in the development of
> thermo-acoustic refrigeration and compressors. While simple and
> elegant, they are not terribly efficient.

Agreed. However, efficiency doesn't always matter if your energy source
is "free" (i.e. sunlight).

has!" -- Margaret Mead
--
Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377  leeahart_at_earthlink.net

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Hi,
I have a Russco Charger for my flooded lead acid battery pack (96 volts). I have it set for a 2.5 hour shutoff, and generally allow it to run for the entire time, but ecently I've noticed that the batteries seem to be boiling vigorously. Is 2.5 hours to long or do lead acids like to be charged this way? Should I adjust it to a half hour shutoff?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I want to see what that 13" motor will do!

Run that, run your new one, run something! It's like time is standing still.

http://www.nedra.com/hedlund_100mph_club.html

Speaking about the warp 13" motor , I have been talking to somebody ( Don) here in Florida about building a fast s-10 and the first though of mine was 2 8" but after some talking to net gain he is going with the 13 " which he is going to get with a spline shaft to make a easy hook up to a drive shaft and then straight to the rear , . I'm not sure of the details but this motor will be able to be switched in series / parallel , like 2 motor set up . So hopefully some day soon a person will be able to buy the motor , drive shaft and have a simple bolt up set up that they know will work. as for time standing still , this is going to be a slow project also , the 2 k 348 v zilla won't be ordered for a while , till the money builds up , so if your in a hurry to see what a 13" will do , I can't say when , but the motor is paid for , that's the first step.
I did get to work on Paul's 912 two 8" motor Porsche the other day , This is a low budget project , alone the lines of me paying for over 1/2 the parts so far. I think we are both waiting to see who will pay for the next part . 22 orbital a 2k zilla but no contactors for series parallel switching ( just one for on and off ) , so I hooked the 2 motors in series . Probable the worst set up as this gives lots of torque but not rpm , . In 3ed gear it would easily slip the clutch with just a light tap on the go pebble. in 1st and 2st the car feels like it want to leap off the ground but with just 132 v across each motor they run out of speed quick , 3d would be the gear if the clutch held. The small ( same size lov joy as the one in my old work truck which lasted 50 k miles ) lov joy 100 doesn't look to good either , with the rubber insert already showing signs of being eaten. I called Paul and he called around about clutches/ presser plates , nothing cheep that would do the job , Paul suggested just sandwiching the clutch to the fly wheel , with something like a big washer with holes drilled through all and maybe tapping the holes in the fly wheel , holding the clutch to flywheel all the time. . I'm thinking in the end , the tranny input shaft will be the weak link now, I believe its a 901 tranny . I'm wondering if he wouldn't be better with a independent rear end form something like a corvette . ? Well there I go , talking about two different projects in the same post .
Steve Clunn .

John Westlund wrote:
>> ... looked horrible ... More power ... no-regen higher power DC
>> setup ... transmission ... lead acid ... Keep the parts cost low.

This is the classic problem with trying to get a bunch of individualists
like EVers to all work toward a common goal. Everyone has a different
idea of what's good.

We need a mechanism to encourage everyone to work together.

David Roden (Akron OH USA) wrote:
> Solectria designed the Sunrise to be a showcase for (then) advanced
> EV technology... I think that the Sunrise has significantly more
> potential to put Americans in an EV than the EV1 ever had.

This is how I feel, too. My testosterone might lust for a tZero, but my
wife would prefer the Sunrise. And so would our friends and family.

> As for price - consider the fact that we already have people who
> are willing to pay $24K for a ^used^ EV1.

And, the Sunrise is somewhat like a 4-seat version of the EV1. I think
it would appeal to those who had an EV1 a lot more than a typical
hobbyist EV (like a pickup truck with a fork lift motor and golf cart
batteries).

Thinking...

What if we form a corporation. Each investor buys X shares of stock to
raise $50,000. Let's say there are 50 investors of $1000 each.

The corporation buys the Solectria Sunrise currently being offered for
sale. The car is then carefully reverse-engineered, thoroughly
documented, and the plans provided to the investors.

Further, the corporation's goal is to produce Sunrises. The investors
are the first customers. With a known group of investors, we know how
many motors, controllers, batteries, bodies, windshields, doorhandles,
etc. are needed. We can get quotes on 50 sets of parts, which is enough
that most manufacturers will say "yes" to a small run. The price will be
high, but not nearly as high as trying to get just one.

These parts will then be sold at cost to the investors. If other people
want to join late, they may have to pay a higher price. Or, maybe get in
at the same price because it adds to the order quantity and brings down
the price some more. It creates a "market" in parts and plans, so
investors have a way to get in and get out of the project.

Now there is a mechanism to encourage everyone to build the same car. If
someone wants to change it, that's fine; but they are still going to be
part of the group purchases. But, they can of course sell the unused
parts if they like.

Initially, the investors just get plans. Next, the corporation serves as
a buyer's club for common off-the-shelf parts like bolts, tires, etc.
Next, it tools up the specialized parts, to provide PC boards, machined
parts, fiberglass bodies, etc. Eventually, it can work up to offer
completed assemblies, car kits, or perhaps even finished cars.
has!" -- Margaret Mead
--

Bill Dennis wrote:
> The BMS starts bypassing between 200mA and 250mA when the cell gets
> to 4.2V. When the cell gets to 4.25V, the BMS turns on an opto.
> I want to connect one side of the opto to cell positive, and also
> connect Q1's collector to cell positive. R4 is connected to cell
> positive and R3 is connected between the other side of the opto
> and Q1's base. In the diagram below, everything to the left of the
> dots is the BMS, to the right of the dots is my addition
> to the circuit.
>
>  +Cell_____________________.__________
>                        |   .         |
>  BMS <-+               |   .         |
> Logic  |               |   .         |
>       _|_      |/--<<--+   .         > R4
>      _\_/_ --> |           .         >
>        |       |\--<<--+   .         >
>        |          .....|....         |
>  BMS <-+          .    |             |
> Logic             .    > R3          |
>                   .    >             |
>                   .    >           |/ collector
>                   .    |___________|    Q1: NPN transistor
>                   .            base|
>                   .                |\ emitter
>                   .                  |
>                   .                  |
>                   .                  |
>                   .                  |
>                   .                  |

Ok; that makes sense and it could work. You should add a resistor from
base to emitter to insure that Q1 turns completely off. If the
optocoupler snaps fully "on" or "off", power dissipation in Q1 will
always be low. If it gradually turns on more and more as cell voltage
rises, then you'll have to be a lot more careful about transistor power
dissipation.
has!" -- Margaret Mead
--
Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377  leeahart_at_earthlink.net