  1) Battery controllers, was gliders
        by Robert MacDowell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Slightly off topic but of interest to many.
  3) Re: Texas to New York using just 12 batteries!
  4) Re: Adapter Ideas
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Brag about your EV
        by "Chip Gribben" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Brag about your EV
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) OT Re: Brag about your EV
        by Lock Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Brag about your EV
        by "John Westlund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) OT Re: Interesting electric vehicle statue in Arizona
        by Lock Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Brag about your EV
        by "John Westlund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Desirable amp hours
 12) Optima flavor question.
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Battery exchange,   1 is being designed! Re: Glider source
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: EV Efficiency
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: EV Efficiency
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 16) slightly OT: Oregonian EV legisl.
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: EV Efficiency
 18) Re: BB600 delivery
        by Steve Gaarder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: EV Efficiency
 20) WOT (was Re: slightly OT: Oregonian EV legisl.)
 21) Re: BB600 delivery
David Roden wrote:

On 23 Mar 2005 at 9:59, Paul Wallace wrote:

One other thing to consider is battery pack leasing. I think that you could get a local garage very interested in this.

I've been advocating this for years.

I've seen many, many used EVs for sale with the phrase "needs batteries." The problem is that Joe or Jane average buys (eh, make that ^bought^ as there's currently none readily available for sale) an EV for any one of several reasons. The car comes with batteries, a charger, minimal battery management hardware, and (maybe) a few words of instruction in the manual (which nobody reads), and that's it.

The owner drives the car for a while, boasting that it costs him almost nothing. With overcharging and overdischarging, the battery is soon kaput. The owner discovers that a replacement costs, say, $1800! He's never spent that kind of money on a 2-year-old gas car, but he swallows his annoyance and buys the new battery.

[but won't do it twice.]

Sure.  And that's the ultimate reputation wrecker for EVs.

The Oldsmobile 350 diesel was ruined in the marketplace
because its fuel injector demanded a $1000 repair every
80,000 miles.

Battery leasing would motivate the right thing, but I think
what's really needed is for the EV community to be as
brilliant at creating battery controllers as they've been at
creating motor controllers.

Right now, battery management is done ad-hoc, shared
between the charger and the motor-controller, right? The motor-controller tries, but it's not like it's *designed*
to manage the pack and its unique peculiarities (sealed,
wet, chemistry, age, charge state, temperature, etc. )

Imagine a set of electronics whose sole job is to be the
guardian-watchdog of that precious battery pack.  I mean
you wouldn't want another set of high current switches in
the circuit, but the battery controller could command the
motor-controller and charger to do what's needed for the
pack's health.

Obviously the battery controller would be configured for
its pack, but ideally, the signals it'd send the charger and
motor controller would be standardized, so any battery
controller could play with any motor controller and charger.

Seems to me it would simplify the design of motor controller
and battery charger.

It would also make regenerative braking design less scary
because the motor controller would be told how much it
could push back into the batteries.

And it would facilitate battery experimentation.

What do you think?

Robert
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Lawrence, this is interesting, but it is not slightly off topic - it is
^wholly^ off topic. Anyway: please do not post any such material in the future.

Thanks,
David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA EV List Assistant Administrator

Hmmm. These are the reasons I joined the list and started to build electric vehicles. Each article was in some way related to vehicles or what they need or where things are going. I didn't want to say OT because I thought it was too strong. I thought many on the list would apreciate it and I did say slightly OT. Should I have said OT. Is this considered political? It is *not* intended to discuss either EV appropriateness or comparisons with other transportation primary drive modes such as the venerable internal combustion engine. Those "discussions" are best relegated to the appropriate usenet newsgroup. Oops. Sorry if this information offended anyone. Lawrence Rhodes.............
From his own writing:
At all conditions tested, the input Power exceeded the output power. That is, the device did not deliver more energy than it used.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shawn Rutledge" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  Friday, March 25, 2005

  W hen debate begins today on a bill in the Oregon
Legislature to combat global warming,
  some voices will argue that tough new limits to
curtail auto emissions and conserve fuel
  are unnecessary and too expensive.

  Oregonians have heard that before. When the region
decided in 1980 to spend billions of
  dollars to conserve energy, rather than build new
power plants, critics said the plan was
  too costly, the benefits too uncertain. At the time
it seemed an enormous amount to spend
  on conservation, but the region now earns back its
investment in energy savings every 18
  months.

  It's time now for Oregon to take another bold step
on energy conservation and join other
  states and countries in requiring deep cuts in
greenhouse gas emissions. Today the
  Senate Environment and Land Use Committee will hold
a public hearing at Portland State
  University on a bill that would lead Oregon to adopt
California's new tailpipe standards.

  The hearing, which will begin at 10 a.m. at PSU's
Smith Memorial Student Union, marks
  the Legislature's first serious discussion about a
key recommendation of Gov. Ted
  Kulongoski's advisory group on global warming.

  By now, with the scientific consensus about the
existence and perils of warming, the
  United States should have adopted strong new federal
standards on emissions that would
  apply to every state. But the Bush administration is
showing no leadership on warming.
  So the states, including Oregon, must lead.

  Senate Bill 344 would direct the Oregon Department
of Environmental Quality to impose
  emission standards in place in California and likely
to be approved soon in Washington.
  It would require cuts in greenhouse gases by 30
percent by 2016.

  The automakers are suing California and claiming, as
they always do when forced to
  clean up their cars, that they can't do it, or it's
too expensive. Yet just this week
  automakers reached an agreement with the Canadian
government to reduce emissions in
  that country by more than 5 million tons by 2010. It
will take an estimated 25 percent
  increase in fuel efficiency to do that -- about what
California is demanding.

  Yes, there will be an increase in the cost of
automobiles. But with gasoline selling at more
  than two bucks a gallon, and certain to rise higher,
it wouldn't take long to make up a
  $1,000 price increase in a car that burned 25
percent less fuel. Oregonians have made that
  calculation about energy savings before -- and been
proved right.

  The governor's advisory group has compiled
disturbing research showing how global
  warming already is affecting the Northwest economy
and its natural resources. Average
  temperatures are rising, snowpacks are shrinking and
the sea level is steadily rising.

  It's not too late for Oregon to act. But it's not
too soon, either.

  Over the years Oregon has become a national leader
in energy conservation, green
  buildings and sustainability. If Oregon acts now to
control greenhouse gases, it could
  gain a competitive edge in marketing and profiting
from the tools needed around the
  world to address global warming.

  The new emission standard is a difficult,
controversial step for the Legislature. It would
  be easier for lawmakers to duck the issue, to sit,
watch and wait while others lead on
  global warming. But Oregon has a lot to lose if
global warming remains unchecked. It
  also has a lot to gain by once again showing its
leadership on energy conservation.

'92 Honda Civic sedan, 144V
                                   ____
                     __/__|__\ __
           =D-------/   -  -     \
                     'O'-----'O'-'
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel?
Are you saving any gas for your kids?

>         Hi Peter and All,
> --- Peter VanDerWal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> The grid efficiency isn't that bad.  The major
>> problem is that even though
>> it's possible to build 60% efficient (or better
>> using cogeneration) power
>> plants, the majority of the power plants out there
>> are older units.
>> As of 2001 the average thermal efficiency of US
>> power plants was 33%.
>>
>> THe distribution grid isn't so bad, but it's
>> efficiency depends on the
>> load, the system is currently heavily loaded and
>> that has increased the
>> transmission and distribution losses to about 9.5%
>> (90.5% efficient).
>>
>> Battery chargers average about 80% efficient.
>
>     Many are better than that and any EV production
> would be. About 90% or better.

Have you actually LOOKED at the figures from production EVs?  The EV1
(supposedly the most efficient production vehicle ever) with PbA batteries
uses 248wh/mile, that's not a lot better than my converted pickup with a
light dimmer charger.  I suspect the chargers (with inductive paddles)
were a mojor source of loss.

>> Lead Acid batteries are about 75% energy efficient.
>
>      That's more like batt and charger for lead batts.
> With a good charger you can get 85-90% eff.

No, wrong.  PbA typically requires a return of 110% of the amp hours taken
out !!!!AND!!!!! it charges at a HIGHER voltage than it discharges it
(2.25VPC in and 1.83VPC out = 82%).  If you combine the two and look at
ENERGY efficiency, a PbA is a little under 75%.
Especially when you take finishing charge into account, all that gassing
is energy wasted .
Also I didn't take into account equalization charges which run at zero %
efficiency because you put energy in that you don't effectively get out
exept to keep the batteries healthy and balanced.
Finally, as they get closer to end of life their efficiency drops even more.

I was being generous.

>> Motor/controller average about 80% efficient.
>> Transmission and drive train about 90% efficient.
>     Most factory built EV use direct drive so eff on
> drive is about 95%.

At this point, the MAJORITY of EVs on the road are conversions (or factory
conversions, i.e. Solectria, etc.) and currently NONE of the major
automakers are interested in changing that.

>> 33% * 90.5% * 80% * 75% * 80% * 90% =~ 13%
>
>    Where I'm at the average power plant eff is about
> 45% as many plants around the US have been upgraded in

I was giving figures for the national average.  As I said, your local mix
can improve these.

> the last 3 yrs to cut fuel costs so start with say
>      45% x 90.5%x 90%x 85%x80%x 95%= 22.5%

If you can point to a source that reliably states that power plants are
now 45% efficient, great.

Instead of just making stuff up Jerry, why don't you try looking it up?
>From EV America's testing:
EV1 with PbA   = 248wh/mile
EV1 with NiMH  = 373wh/mile
Chevy S10 PbA  = 470wh/mile
Chevy S10 NiMh = 794wh/mile!!!
Ranger EV PbA  = 484wh/mile
Ranger EV NiMH = 485wh/mile

Solectria E-10  = 317wh/mile
Solectria Force = 318wh/mile

If these REAL PRODUCTION VEHICLES are using (as you claim) chargers that
are 90+% and batteries that are 85-90% efficient, then I'll eat my boots.

P.S. I'll admit that 90+% chargers are certainly possible, I just don't
see that many people using them yet.  I haven't seen any EV batteries that
are 85+% energy efficient yet.

Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> The lack of liquid is normal.

> You know how to do the first charge, right? Is isn't like charging
> regular batteries. The comissioning charge is a little different and
> scary.

> Whatever you do, get some directions, don't water them, and figure out
> how to do the commissioning charge.

The manual that Hump sent out says to charge at contstant current, either
15 amps for 3 hours, 11.5 for 4, 9 for 6, or 7 for 7.  (I would question
the 9 for 6 entry, because that's 54 AH while the others are quite a bit
less).  You can also do 15 A till 1.526 volts/cell, then 6 A for 2 hours.
There's also a constant-volatage option.

As I recall, someone said that they have to be prevented from
expanding/bulging while they charge, or there will be stress on the
seals.  Does anyone know how sturdy the containment needs to be, and
whether this is on both the wide and the narrow sides, or on the wide
sides only?

thanks,

Steve Gaarder

>> > Battery chargers average about 80% efficient.
>>
>>     Many are better than that and any EV production
>> would be. About 90% or better.
>
> Where are you seeing anything like 90%? Maybe Rich can tell us what his
> PFC
> series averages, because all the ones I've dealt with (and probably the
> scrounged-up one's you use) can't average themselves out of the 70's!

I was trying to be generous, obviously some folks are more generous than
others.
I was also assuming that high quality chargers, like the ones from
Solectria, Metric Mind, and Rich, were much better than my K&W.

Please don't think I'm dissing the K&W, it gets the job done and, other
than problems finding replacement fuses, it's been reliable.  I just don't
consider it a very 'high tech' or efficient charger.

What is it with all the totally off topic posts lately?
There was NOTHING in that entire post about electric vehicles.

This is the ELECTRIC VEHICLE discussion list, let's at least /try/ to
stick to the list charter.

For those of you who have forgotten, or didn't bother reading it, the list
charter states:

    "The EV Electric Vehicle Discussion Mailing List is intended to
provide a forum to discuss the current state of the art and future
direction of electric vehicles. It is not intended to discuss either
EV appropriateness or comparisons with other transportation primary
drive modes such as the venerable internal combustion engine. Those
discussions are best relegated to the appropriate usenet newsgroup.
    "An electric vehicle is any vehicle which uses an electric motor as
the primary or sole motive force. The energy storage device used to
drive said motor can use any technology including, but not limited to,
solar electric, electric battery, fuel cell, internal combustion
engine coupled with a electric generator (hybrids), or any combination
of these.

And, as I recall, the list voted to extend this to include Hybrids that
use electric motors.

> Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> The lack of liquid is normal.
>
>> You know how to do the first charge, right? Is isn't like charging
>> regular batteries. The comissioning charge is a little different and
>> scary.
>
>> Whatever you do, get some directions, don't water them, and figure out
>> how to do the commissioning charge.
>
> The manual that Hump sent out says to charge at contstant current, either
> 15 amps for 3 hours, 11.5 for 4, 9 for 6, or 7 for 7.  (I would question
> the 9 for 6 entry, because that's 54 AH while the others are quite a bit
> less).  You can also do 15 A till 1.526 volts/cell, then 6 A for 2 hours.
> There's also a constant-volatage option.
>
> As I recall, someone said that they have to be prevented from
> expanding/bulging while they charge, or there will be stress on the
> seals.  Does anyone know how sturdy the containment needs to be, and
> whether this is on both the wide and the narrow sides, or on the wide
> sides only?

The military battery boxes that I bought mine in were stainless steel,
about th same guage as auto body steel though they did have some internal
reinforcement in the way of more SS of same guage used as dividers.