  1) Storing batteries dry, was:Re: Charles Whalen, WKTEC, and
  filet mignon
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) What's faster? 2, 9's, 11's, or 13's?
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: Freedom EV Crash Test?
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: Freedom EV Crash Test?
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: I don't need a dc-dc converter
        by "Ev Performance (Robert Chew)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) corroding wires - *inside* the insulation!?
        by Jim Coate <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Potbox alternative
        by "Death to All Spammers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: A note on potentiometers
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: A note on potentiometers
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Potbox alternative
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: World's First Electric Junior Dragster
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: What's faster? 2, 9's, 11's, or 13's?
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) RE: I don't need a dc-dc converter
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: What's faster? 2, 9's, 11's, or 13's?
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) OT was RE: Generator Trailer
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Potbox alternative
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: PFC-30 Startup
        by "Rush" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Converting a bug
        by Steve Powers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: corroding wires - *inside* the insulation!?
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Conversions
 21) Re: Inrush current limiting the IOTA DLS-55
        by Martin K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Electric AC compressor (HFC134a)
        by Martin K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Potbox alternative
        by Steven Ciciora <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
At 06:11 AM 22/08/06 -0400, Charles Whalen wrote:
  Well the Kubota guys felt
sorry for me and just gave me a free new batt but told me to put that
trickle charger on it from day one.  Gotta go out and get some electrolyte
this week to fill up this new batt.

G'day Charles, Floridites and All

Something that I encountered via boatie types, if you want to keep a battery as a backup emergency starting battery then store it new, dry, and the acid in a container with it. Now when you are out of options - even years later, pour the acid into the cells, wait 20 to 30 mins and presto! a 3/4 charged battery to start your diesel from. So if you have another battery (say in an ICE) that you can use for your monthly starts, keep your new battery dry and fill it when you need to. Of course that may not be appropriate if the genny is remote-start or the spouse or a child needs to start it.

Hth,

Regards

[Technik] James
Or do I need 3 or 4 motors on the same shaft?  How many Zilla's?
What's this issue about how good enough batteries to power existing
setups to their fullest potential don't currently exist?  Are there
any batteries on the horizon that will?

How were there batteries in 1999 allowing a car to run in the 8's in
the 1/4?  What was so magic about this batteries and why don't we have
anything like that now?  Who has the tech details on those bats and
why can't we get someone like Duracell to make those bats?

Would the White Zombie as it is now run in the 10's if it had those
batteries?  The 9's?

Jeff, who is K-car?

Don Cameron, Victoria, BC, Canada

see the New Beetle EV project   www.cameronsoftware.com/ev

From: "England Nathan-r25543" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: August 25, 2006 7:39:10 PM EDT
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: RE: World's First Electric Junior Dragster

Is there an electric class for Jr. Dragsters or not? I keep hearing
conflicting information but don't know anyone with an electric Jr.
Dragster and have not found them on the web.

Thanks,

Nate

A 9", Z1K and 1000A batteries are a pretty good match for a quick vehicle.

2x 9"s and a Z2K and 2000A batteries is a Fast vehicle

1x 11" and a Z2K and 2000A would be faster off the line but fall off quicker at
high RPM

2x 11"s (and lower gears) and 2x Z2K (Twin Zillas? or better yet Otmar, sell 2x
Z2K's in a package and call them a Quadzilla :-)
and 2 strings of 2000A batteries would probably be insane.  Might qualify you
for extra safety features on the car.

But if you could make Vette, Porsche and Viper drivers go home insulted with
two tiney 8"s that seems like the ticket.  Just
enough, eh?

Mike,
Anchorage, Ak.

I thought about that but even a typical high amp alternator would not be much
more than engine braking.  You could use it for mild
coast downs and capture some energy back but you'd still need hardware braking.
 I though I remember seeing Gadget put a larger
generator on the tailshaft to his Tirumph.  I wonder what unit that is and how
well it works.  Is it mainly for braking or mainly
for regen?

Mike,
Anchorage, Ak.

G'day All

Now here is an opportunity for the peanut gallery!

At 10:07 PM 25/08/06 -0500, Ryan Stotts wrote:
Or do I need 3 or 4 motors on the same shaft?

<peanut gallery mode on>

Need/want/desire, acceleration is all about power to weight. An ultra-light skeleton with 1/3 of the power can out accelerate a full-bodied car weighing 4 times as much but with 3 times the power. Big motors produce big torque, but need big batteries to deliver the power and a big chassis to carry the weight. Big motors are brute force solutions, and really are a solution for a race vehicle that is designed with good road range as well. White Zombie is a balancing act of a 'petit' vehicle with a lot of strength.

 How many Zilla's?

One per motor, since the peanut gallery doesn't have to find the $s. White Zombie (since you mention it) looses time during the series/parallel changeover time. If that can be eliminated, who knows, maybe 1/4 or 1/2 second faster?

What's this issue about how good enough batteries to power existing
setups to their fullest potential don't currently exist?  Are there
any batteries on the horizon that will?

A123 lithium batteries seem to have the promise. Electric technology can deliver a lot more power than any battery can deliver that is small enough for EV use. I spec'd out and priced a battery system recently that is comfortable delivering over 500kW for 5 mins which under a certain duty cycle should last 15 years. It just weighed around 10 tonnes. Land speed racing, anyone?

How were there batteries in 1999 allowing a car to run in the 8's in
the 1/4?  What was so magic about this batteries and why don't we have
anything like that now?  Who has the tech details on those bats and
why can't we get someone like Duracell to make those bats?

IIRC these were lead-acid batteries, that take the familiar Optima /Exide Orbital spiral methodology to an extreme - TMF (Thin metal film) that delivered more amps for their mass (and consequently their amp-hour capacity) than any other technology at the time. A few lucky racers got to test the g-force capabilities of these cells before the reason they were being developed was canned and they became a piece of history. Duracell would NOT be intereted for the size of the market, it'd be a job for someone to set up an Otmar/Cafe Electric style business to do a niche job.

Would the White Zombie as it is now run in the 10's if it had those
batteries?  The 9's?

If the specs on WZ's pages are current, there are 720lbs of batteries in the car that weighs 2,350lbs. If the battery weight could be halved, the car would come in at 1990lbs, around 15% lighter all up, plus driver probably pulls that back to around 10% lighter. WZ is (and I believe that John has no interest in changing the fact) a fully steel bodied car with glass in the windows and functional doors. 10% lighter by itself is unlikely to pull the times in from 12.151 to under 11 seconds.

A "Black Zombie" full-racing tricked-out version with polycarbonate in place of most of the glass, every bit of steel possible replaced with composite and every bit of shaving possible might make sub-10s or sub-9s, I don't know what the potential is.

White Zombie would benefit a lot from a "magic bullet" that pulls the weight down by that much, as long as traction is not lost, my guess would be sub 11.5 seconds. There is a lot of tuning that WZ can improve by, but costs start to run away. A second Zilla 2000A, high voltage so that both motors are pulling 100% of the way may save 1/4 or 1/2 second or more, but John is running on a budget. Anyone want to lend him one for a record run? Faster acting series/parallel changeover contactors may save 1/8 to 1/4 second, but where do they come from? Last race report I read, John was having vibration problems again, that needs to be dealt with. As far as I know, 90% or more of WZ acceleration is done by half track length, I gather field weakening didn't work out to help the top end, stiffer batteries that keep the voltage higher should help. If the motor fields are parallel split, WZ possibly could go faster by changing the diff ratio to drop motor RPMs for the speed, and add a series/parallel mode to the fields to increase field strength at lower RPMs to make up for it. But then it wouldn't be the ultra-clean installation that it now is, and would add another set of contactors to delay acceleration by their shift time. No room in the motors to have extra fields to switch in at low RPMs to up the bottom-end field strength and torque, so that's out.

Going by the post a week or so ago about NEDRA enforcing the NHRA rules requiring reverse, John will be adding weight by adding a reverse system, but I'm sure he's going to be trying something else to tweek the system and maybe break into the sub-12 second zone.

<peanut gallery mode off>

<fan mode on>

GO JOHN GO!!!

[Technik] James
You could try this
http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=28
I particularly like their return policy :-O

brian baumel wrote:
<snip> are there any
> other options that anyone can think of other than a
> bio diesel gen, the pusher trailer or the batt
> trailer?
>
> thanks again
>
> Brian
> 81' Bradley GTII

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Sounds ideal to me. This stuff about variable opto and other schemes is getting absurd. I really didn't even want to discuss that solution, but somehow still feel compelled to do so. First off, and most significant, the gain of an opto is typically very unpredictable. Second you might have to pull some tricks to condition this input to replace a pot with it. Third I don't expect a homebuilt device to be anything near reliable.

OK, it's not impossible, a gain compensation scheme is possible, but for the love of god why make it this complicated with a hack solution? I appreciate the desire to create a novel solution but it's going to be counterproductive in this area. Radio Shack pots are unreliable in this duty and generally unacceptable, but that doesn't mean ALL pots are unacceptable. Many out there are made for many millions of operations with an exceptionally high degree of reliability, such as the Farnell part he lists (like the return springs) or any Throttle Position Sensor. A simple TPS can fail when it gets old or may last forever, MTBF for the ones I know seems to be >20 yrs of daily driver use. That's moving it with the throttle in the same way you would in an EV throttle, and it's made to operate at 140F or more on top of an IC engine. Real tough duty stuff.

Danny

Death to All Spammers wrote:

[...]

ALRIGHT!

The first Hybrid Work Truck....

If the genny charges the S-10 battery pack, will you be able to haul the CE and
its trailer?

Rush
Tucson AZ
www.ironandwood.org

> Rich my street/strip S10 is more than half done now,wiring will start in the
> next month or so.As you know I bought a pfc20 from you a while back and you
> already know it will be hooked to the pack at all times.Questions I have: Is
> there any draw on the pack when the charger is pluged in without any ac on
> the
> input? Since this truck will have a small ice welder/generator on board(Truck
> has a welding rig bed and I am in the welder repair business/good for my
> pr)can
> I have the genset runing powering your charger while runing the truck down
> the
> street/strip?   Dennis

I'd like to convert a 65-79 bug and achieve the following:

  top speed - 50 MPH (even on slight incline which means on the flat more like
65 MPH)
  acceleration - 0-40 MPH in 20 sec.  Not super fast, but not dangerously slow
  range - 21 miles to 80% DOD, average speed 35 MPH, some stop and go, speeds
up to 50 MPH, very slight grades in areas.

  Does anyone have a used motor / coupler / adapter ready to go for a bug
conversion that they are willing to part with.  I'd be interested in:
  8" ADC
  9" ADC
  36 - 48 V series or compound wound lift motor properly adapted
  2CM77 or 2CM88 with adapter
       Why?  That thing can put out 93 ft lb and is rated 24 kW for 5 min.  Not
very good
       at all on efficiency, but it will move the car, and no one else wants it.
  Used kaylor kit, series or compound wound motor (7 or 15 HP).

  I AM NOT interested in anything with a 400 A aircraft generator (shunt wound
only) because of the poor acceleration.

  Reply off line if you have some parts stashed away that you are willing to
part with.

  I want something complete - motor / coupler / adapter.  I don't want to make
a 200 hour project out of putting the thing together.  I want to be able to
bolt up the motor to the transaxle in less than 12 hours and be ready to start
the wiring abd battery installation.

  I already have the controller / pot box ... But, I'd be interested in some
used / surplus / excess battery interconnect cables if they are 2/0.

  Steve Powers
  Atlanta, GA

Hello Jim,

I find this to be true not only with copper, but with cadmium plating,
chrome, aluminum and steel connections and/or wire connections.

The atmosphere around the batteries and in a enclosed battery box, that is
even vented with 150 CFM filter air, will corroded these items.

Also when connecting two dissembler metals together in any atmosphere will
cause a electro plating or a de-electro plating on one metal to the other,
which reacts with the air, causing corrosion.

To prevent this break down of dissembler metals.

1.  Do not place bare aluminum, copper, steel,
    zinc, solders, silver and cadmium plated metals
    in a battery atmosphere or a enclose battery
    box that even have over 150 CFM air exchange.

2.  Lead to lead connections are good, but you
    note that any surface contact with the air,
    will darken or began to oxidized.  Try to seal
    the connector with a anti-corrosion compound.
    I found that painting on a thick coat of epoxy
    works fine.
    The disadvantage, is that lead to lead
    connections can shrink back (melt back).

3.  Brass connections are better, if coated with
    a thin layer of lead and sometimes coated with
    a epoxy material.
    Brass allows a higher contact pressure, which
    reduces the shrink back.

4.  The best type of connection is gold plated
    brass connections. This type of connection can
    be connected directly to the battery post or
    even to another dissembler metal.

    In our electrical work, we normally use a
    bi-metal type of connection, which is a
    connector which separates two dissembler types
    of metal.

    So, I converted my battery connections to a
    bi-metal type.  I used a gold plated brass
    battery clamp, that clamp around the low
    profile battery pad.  This clamp has a gold
    plated bolt and nut, so I can bolt my existing
    battery links that had the cadmium plated
    terminal lugs.

    Today after 2 years of usage, there is no
    corrosion, oxidation, and even the cadmium
    plated terminal lugs are still very bright.

The corrosion, that travel up a conductor between
the insulation is more prone in stranded conductors, cause by electrical
induction.

In are electrical work, normally in the overhead
electrical work, the bare conductors are not directly connected to a
terminal point.

We crimp on a end terminal connection, which slips over the insulation of
the wire about 1 to 2 inches.  A sealant is apply over the insulation before
this connections is put on.

The connection end, may just be a round diameter rod or may be any other
type of connection.

You can get these type of connectors for any wire size.  In the smaller
size, I like to use the bare type of connecter and than a heat shrink with a
sealant in it to be use corrosion type atmospheres.

A source for these wire end connectors is from:

Thomas and Betts from www.newark.com

It is best to enclose the BMS units in a water tight seal chassis boxes if
you can fit them in your battery location.  I got mine form radioshack.com
which is a commercial division of
radio shack, not your local store type.

> As I continue to poke at my battery pack, I have found that one sense
> lead for the BMS is definitely in trouble: connectors at both ends were
> corroded. But as I prepare to make a replacement, the strange part is
> the entire wire is corroded, inside the insulation! As in a piece of ~18
> gauge copper wire maybe 24" long and wherever I strip off the
> insulation, the copper strands are all blackened and require significant
> scrubbing to see the shiny copper.
>
> What would cause this? Why this one wire and not the 25 or so other
> sense leads? Is the corrosion the problem, or a symptom of another
> problem? Before cleaning it up, there was leakage current between this
> sense lead and another... would the leakage cause the corrosion or would
> the corrosion build up and permit a leakage path? Does the chicken or
> the egg come first ? ;-)
>
> And thanks to those who explained the mysteries of chrome/nickel.
>
> --
> Jim Coate
> 1970's Elec-Trak's
> 1997 Solectria Force
> 1998 Chevy S-10 NiMH BEV
> 1997 Chevy S-10 NGV Bi-Fuel
> http://www.eeevee.com

While not impossible to modify you would start out at a 1000 pound
disadvantage to a Datsun 1200 model.  a 700 pound disadvantage to a VW
Rabbit & simular disadvantage to many lighter cars.  I don't know what the
gross vehicle weight is on your vehicle but it will take at least a 120v
pack of flooded batteries to do what you want.  It will also put the weight
above many mini trucks which have been used to do this.  While not a poor
choice it is a weak choice because of weight.  If you got a mini truck and
converted it to lets say 156v you would have a very useful long range(60 ot
80 mile) vehicle.  There are limitations at this time if you want long range
and one of them is the ability to carry lots of heavy batteries & still be
able to drive the vehicle normally.  To drive normally you need a powerful
controller like the Zilla.  You also need moderately high voltage like 120
or more.  A 156v Zilla with the right motor & 26 golfcart batteries in the
right vehicle is one place to go.  Another way is to use the same hardware,
use your BMW & a pack at 156v of llighter batteries & not have the range you
want but have very good performance.  However as fun as this vehicle would
be it won't serve your range needs.  However if you figured out how to use
about 500 pounds of Lithium Ion at a reasonable price your problems will be
solved.  This is a way's off.  500 pounds at today's  technology is about
6800 batteries It might give you 150 to 200 miles range.  It is the same
technology as in the Tzero & simular vehicles.  It would be costly unless
you have access to a spot welder & a battery management system.  This is why
we convert light vehicles with the ability to carry a heavy weight & still
be driveable.  Your goal while possible with a heavy pack on level desert
terrain might be impossible in a hilly part of the country & we didn't even
talk about the problems of cold weather on your batteries.  Lawrence
Rhodes.......