  1) Re: [electric_vehicles_for_sale] (fwd) VECTRIX Demo Bike Now Available For
Te...
        by "Doug Hartley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: Please get us some more cars to plug in!
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) axles (was: RE: Speaking of Hybrids)
        by "Randy Burleson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Alternative transportation & energy in the White House
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Tango lane splitting
        by "James Allgood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: generator
        by Kevin Lura <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: axles (was: RE: Speaking of Hybrids)
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Regenerative suspension
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: generator
        by "jerryd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Tango lane splitting
        by GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Please get us some more cars to plug in!
        by "Evan Tuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: contactor controllers
        by Tom Ward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Zilla for the newbie
        by "Richard Acuti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Wide vs Skinny Tires LRR
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Nicad update
        by "jerryd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: Zilla for the newbie?
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Nicad mixing
        by Tom Ward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Breaker mounting
        by "Joseph H. Strubhar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Wide vs Skinny Tires LRR
        by xx xx <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: Zilla for the newbie?
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: [electric_vehicles_for_sale] (fwd) VECTRIX Demo Bike Now Available For
Te...
        by keith vansickle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---

11:05 PM EST

Hi Charles,

Thanks for the schedule update and link, the news is encouraging. It would be great to hear from those closer to the action, about the most recent status.

I met James and other fine folk from Vectrix and saw the bikes when I was exhibiting my PHEV Prius project next to them at AltWheels in Boston last September. After the show, I made the detour to New Bedford to visit their engineering/design facility and pilot manufacturing plant before returning home to Montreal (at about 2:00 A.M., late, but it was worth it). I was suitably impressed. I am looking forward to their success in launching in London and Rome and hope that within a year after that the Vectrix will be available over here.

Best Regards,

Doug

----- Original Message ----- From: "Charles Whalen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: Bruce
I wonder if it is really legal for Tangos to drive two abreast?

I got this answer from Rick Woodbury of Commuter Cars Inc.

According to testimony given at a Senate Transportation Committee
Hearing in WA state by a captain of the WA State Patrol, it is legal for
2 Tango to share a lane, but not overtake in a lane.

In CA all 30 traffic officers who were asked, mostly CHP, unanimously
stated that they would not ticket Tangos for lane splitting. Lane
sharing is certainly not a problem.

Rick Woodbury                                     Phone: (509) 624-0762
President, Commuter Cars Corporation          Toll-free: (800) 468-0944
Doubling the capacity of freeways                   Fax: (509) 624-1466
Quadrupling the capacity of parking            Cellular: (509) 979-1815
Zero to 60 in under 4 seconds
715 E. Sprague Ave., Suite 70              Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Spokane, WA 99202                      Web: http://www.commutercars.com

Any info on this generator or similar?

Also, any info on your 48v metro?

--- jmygann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You stated about generators ..
>
>  "I'm doing 5kw, 100lb ones on order for sale at
> $1600 for the Freedom EV if anyone wants one, 48vdc to
> 120vdc nom, e mail me offlist.
>
> I would like some info for my 48 volt Metro
>
> Jimmy

http://new.mail.yahoo.com

http://www.moserengineering.com/Pages/Shop-Services/shopservices.html

Moser Engineering resplines OEM and aftermarket axles, custom shafts, 4 wheel drive axle shafts, transmission shafts, and clutch input/output shafts.

We can cold spline almost any shaft up to 60 Rockwell in hardness that has enough material to cut full depth splines. Our machining capabilities include shafts up to 3" in diameter and lengths up to 48". All resplining is done cold so no annealing or heat treatment is required.
Single Axle
$65 each

On 25 Feb 2007 at 0:22, Michael Perry wrote:

> Toyota had a high performance mode in some of their cars (push the button and
> engine/tranny were changed to a different mode) and the same could follow for
> the electric shock.

Interesting thoughts, but I think you need a different name for this gadget.
 "Electric shock" carries some undesirable connotations.  FWIW, I think
they're called "dampers" in the UK.

I'm only half kidding.  "Electric shock" might be roughly equivalent to
naming a car the "Impact."

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Administrator

Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not reach me.
To send a private message, please obtain my email address from
the webpage http://www.evdl.org/help/ .

           Hi Kevin and All,
                Please e mail me off list on the DC gen as
it's been  discribed many times here before though I'm now
ready to produce them and marginally on topic for the list.
               It's a high tech ICE gas motor with a cont
duty DC generator custom  built to handle such loads with
remote start, shutdown and weighs about 100 lbs. It's about
time someone started building these, mounted in the rear,
trailer hitch  or on the bumper, can make EV's more
flexable.
                Would like to hear more on Jimmy's Metro as
it sounds like a good, inexpensive EV.
                                Jerry Dycus

>>  "I'm doing 5kw, 100lb ones on order for sale at
>> $1600 for the Freedom EV if anyone wants one, 48vdc to
>> 120vdc nom, e mail me offlist.
>>
>> I would like some info for my 48 volt Metro
>>
>> Jimmy

>Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta.
>http://new.mail.yahoo.com

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Frankly I see motorcycles lane split in la all the time. They are not lane sharing.
It is unfortunately and burden on others and a hazard.
It also rasies insuranc erates and lawsuits as riders who take a dangerous lane split inevitably sue the poor auto driver who doesn't see them passing from behind with two inches to spare and unknowingly close the gap and are invovled in an accident. Sorry but I am for a separate lane but lane sharing is ridiculous and dangerous.

www.GlobalBoiling.com for daily images about hurricanes, globalwarming and the melting poles.

www.ElectricQuakes.com daily solar and earthquake images.

On 2/26/07, bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Nikki,

On
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/402211445/in/photostream/
it states there are two 240VAC power sources: 13 and 16 amp.

I assume UK electrical code also limits the AC load to 80% of the
outlet/breaker's rating. So a 13amp outlet is allowed a 10.5amp
draw or 2.5kW source, and a 16amp outlet is allowed a 15amp draw
or a 3kW source

There is no such rule.  And, note that the mains voltage is officially 230VAC.
For example, electrical heaters fitted with the 13A fused plug are
available, rated 3kW (230 * 13 = 2990W).

Charging points such as these should definitely be fitted with an RCD
(US calls this a GFCI).

On Sat, 2007-02-24 at 12:26 -0600, Lee Hart wrote:

Many thanks for the advice Lee, it is a big help to me.

> > 48v + startup resistor
> > 48V
> > 84V
> > 168V
> > 216V
>
> These are funny voltages.
Yes I know its strange. I have two banks of NiCads; the factory fitted
watercooled saft STM100 nicads in 4 unequal blocks and then 48V of
secondhand Alcad and Nife Nicads.
I haven't a huge amount of time so I am hoping to avoid dismantling the
saft blocks (I did that a few months ago to fix a waterleak and it took
half a day just to drop one block).

> Does the field really need 120v at 10 amps? That's 1.2kw. The field
> power is usually around 1% of the motor power, so that means you have a
> 120kw motor?
I am just quoting what I read in the workshop manual.
Its a Leroy Somer motor specifically designed for Peugeot/Citroen, I
think they may have designed it like that because they can reach full
voltage on the armature at around 15mph, thereafter the controller just
varies the field current. So for 95% of the journey the armature IGBT
will be bypassed, probably makes cooling the controller easier and the
whole process a few % more efficient. They may even use the same control
circuit for the field control and save a little money there. If they had
used a weaker field then possibly the armature current would need
varying at normal driving speeds.

> Usually, the operator will decide how much motor power he wants, and
> control the steps manually. You don't need to check motor current.
I must be missing something, do you mean let the driver directly control
the armature and field cirrent? isn't that a recipe for a broken motor?

Thanks for all the good info guys.

From the sounds of it, I have 3 cooling options that should work:
a) Just run fluid through the system and use an expansion tank.
b) Run the fluid through a heater core.
c) Run the fluid through a heater core with an electric fan in extreme heat.

I live in Maryland. The summers can be hot and the winters are cold. It never gets "Arizona hot" though.

I like how the Zilla maintains a "battery voltage/current" and a "motor voltage/current". Based on what you're telling me, it seems that my real limitation is the 8v batteries. It doesn't sound like they'll take much of a pounding beyond what the Curtis is capable of drawing out of them.

When I bought the car and found 8v batteries in it, I really agonized over which battery voltage to use. I ended up contacting the actual builder (2 owners ago) by email. He told me that the car was just too slow at 96 volts so he went with 8v batteries.

You want to talk battery abuse? The nearly-dead Trojans I found in the car were 5 years old and bone dry! The previous owner was a woman who understood equalizing charges but did not add water in her 2 years of ownership. Just for fun, I put water in them to see how empty they were. It took 11 GALLONS of distilled water to fill those 16 batteries. My range increased from 2 to 10 miles even on those tortured batteries.

I bought an 8v US battery as a comperable replacement. I'm hoping they'll stand up to at least a little abuse. I'll get with the DC EV club and see if there's anyone local to help me with programming and install.

Thanks for all the good words guys.

Rich

Mortgage rates as low as 4.625% - Refinance $150,000 loan for $579 a month. Intro*Terms https://www2.nextag.com/goto.jsp?product=100000035&url=%2fst.jsp&tm=y&search=mortgage_text_links_88_h27f6&disc=y&vers=743&s=4056&p=5117

From: GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Wide vs Skinny Tires LRR
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 14:51:14 -0800

I wonder if you eliminated all tire hysteriesis if you would also have to elminate all suspension travel to lose that loss as well. Otherwise would all the hysterisis just ransfer to the suspension as spring heating etc? And isn't it still the same energy loss?

These are two entirely different effects. Energy will be lost in a rolling tire even if the road surface is perfectly smooth. Energy will be lost in the suspension only if the road if rough. In any case, I don't understand the "transfer" of hysteresis. Reducing losses in one place does not generally transfer the losses somewhere else. For example, if I use lower loss transmission fluid, it does not cause more energy to be lost in wind drag. They are independent.

And, the springs are made of steel and have essentially no hysteresis ( and, therefore, no heat is generated in them), Steel will only dissipate energy (and get warm) if you stress it past its elastic limit. This normally does not happen in suspension springs. If it did, the spring would fatigue and fail after a very short time. The energy loss in a suspension is in the shock absorbers - they will get warm, not the springs. There has been an ongoing discussion here about trying to recover some of this enegy using electrically damped shock absorbers as a form of regeneration.

That said remember the cross section the tire presents to the AIR is directly proportional to the tire cross section and the amount of AERODYNAMIC drag the tire creates. Thus a tire twice as wide for the same height will create twice the aerodynamic drag.

At speeds above 30 mph the aerdynamic resistance of the wheel is significant -especially on other wise low drag car bodies.

Maybe - but the question here ( and the primary energy lost in the tires) is rolling resistance, not air resistance. In any case, most of the tire is shrouded within the fender, so this effect may be small.

As an example, a typical car might have a frontal area of 2.2 Meters squared ( Honda Civic). A change from 175/70 to 205/55 tires would mean an increase in frontal area of about 0.007 M-sq (assuming that about 5 inches of the each tire is exposed below the body of the car). This is an increase of 0.33 % in the frontal area. Not much.

Phil

There is a reason even slow flying planes put wheel tear drop covers on their landing gear!
Look at a cessna or cirrus!

From: Ricky Suiter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: EV List <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 12:59:55 -0800 (PST)

Wow! That's some fat rubber!

I don't know if there is a formula, but in theory the less contact there is
with the road the less friction you have to overcome.

I don't understand your reasoning. Can you be a little more specific about this?

First, tires roll and don't slide ( for the most part), so how does friction with the road enter into it? I thought most of the losses were due to hysteresis in the tire itself.

This is from the TRANSPORTATION RESEARCH BOARDSPECIAL REPORT 286

" The rubber tire interacts with the hard road sur-
face by deforming under load, thereby generating the forces responsible
for traction, cornering, acceleration, and braking. It also provides increased
cushioning for ride comfort. A disadvantage, however, is that energy is
expended as the pneumatic tire repeatedly deforms and recovers during
its rotation under the weight of the vehicle.
Most of this energy loss stems from the viscoelastic behavior of rub-
ber materials. "

This is a great treatment of tire RR. You can find it here: http://www.trb.org/news/search_news.asp?q_aw=286&q_ep=&q_sw=&q_nw=&allsubjects=on&subjectradio=0&allblurbtypes=on&day=0&Lower_Date=&Upper_Date=&s=1&st=1&Submit1=Find+Blurbs

Second, if the tire were sliding, the friction force would depend on the load on the tire and the coefficient of friction. The contact shape does not come into it ( except for subtle effects on the friction coefficient during extreme lateral loading)

I know that it seems to many, that narrower means lower RR, but I have yet to see any data to support that, or a clear explanation as to why that would be true.

We should base our decisions (such as which tires to buy) on solid information - but, for this question (wide vs narrow) , it seems to be unavailable. The best bet, now, is to look at the available RR data for the tires that will fit your car and meet your needs.

Phil

On my Saturn conversion
I focused a lot on reducing losses in the wheels. The car had some no-name 195 width tires on it, which I think was the stock tire size. I ended up putting a 185/60R15 Goodyear Integrity tire on it. These are "fuel efficient" as they say on the web site. I have no rolling resistance numbers for them but they are used on a lot of OEM vehicles. Between going a little skinnier and the rolling
resistance it made a good 10 amp improvement in current draw in the city!

From there I bought some Kosie racing wheels from Tire Rack. The 15's only weigh
12.6 lbs, which is ~8 lbs a piece less than the stock Saturn alloys! This made the biggest difference of all. Not only do they look good but what took 200 amps to accelerate now only took 150 amps to accelerate just as quickly. The car wouln't roll quite as much after you took your foot of the go pedal (though I'm sure if I took it up to 50 and let off the pedal it would still take a few miles before the
car came to a stop).

Rick

I'm interested in this formula as well.  I have fairly large tires
275/60/15 - about 10 inches wide and I'm thinking about changing them
a narrower tire.  Would my money be well spent here?

John Grigg
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/723

From: Mike Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: EVDL <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Nicad update
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 19:24:00 -0800 (PST)

>The BB600 nicad pack has a couple hundred miles since that
>last massive watering. Only 4 redtops were lower by 1/8"
>compared to the other redtops. So they got more water to
>level them off. None of the greentops were low at all. This
>is significant because they only went 450 miles on a
>watering last time. Since I'm half way to that point again,
>it's nice to see the levels are up high. This is mainly due
>to the reduction in charge time of around 75%. Also
>doubling the amount of water in the cells is helpful too.
>No spillage from any of the cells being so full. I'm
>expecting at least 1500 miles between waterings now. We'll
>see. The garage is strangely silent as the truck shuts off
>about an hour after the pack is full at 5 hours max. The
>truck use to run about 12-20 hours per day.
>
>This week the nicad pack has 3000 miles in it. Range is
>fine at about 10kwhrs max. I've done several 30 miles runs.
>The Emeter says my average run is still 15.5 miles.
>
>The truck has also been in my possesion for 2 years as of
>this month. I've added 8000 miles to it. After having 104
>lead acid Hawkers, then the Prius pack, these nicads are
>the best so far. In fact so good I've gotten completely
>lazy about getting a BMS going for it.

         I don't know why you would need a BMS for flooded
ni-cads. My smaller 30 yr old SAFT versions stayed better
balanced than any other battery I've ever owned.
         Best charging is a dumb charger turned off by an E
meter after the required charge is put back in in amphrs,
90% of removed amphrs after an equalizing charge and 100%
after that for 4-5 cycles, 110% equalize, repeat.

 It's just such a a
>joy to drive that I spend time on my other projects.
>
>Here are the pics from the pack exploding due to excess
>hydrogen buildup in the battery box.
>http://www.rotordesign.com/s10/nicads/

        That's a sign of possible overcharging or just bad
ventilation. Beware outside cells of the pack can be very
different temp wise and lead to overheating the center cells
on charging, especially overcharging though in Alaska now
that probably isn't a problem but could happen in an
insulated batt box.  Been there, done that.
        I assume you have them restrained so the cells can't
expand as they will without the restraints required?
        They are excellent batteries, especially in the
colder climates and replace expensive AGM's, especially in
high voltage single strings.
         I'm going to call local chome shops today to get
some copper interconnects plated with nickle so I can use
the BB600's I have.
                                 Jerry Dycus

>I really need to get the battery box lid flattened out
>more. It's letting road dust and maybe moisture into the
>pack.
>
>Mike

I have a 4000lb vehicle pushed by a warp 9 mated to the stock tranny. I
have experimented with a few cooling systems

1) I bought a jabsco water pump from the boat store. This provided a
good amount of water flow using the old radiator overflow tank and a
tranny cooler for a radiator.
It was noisy, pulled a lot of amps, and running it 40 min a day, 20 min
at a time, exceeded it's duty cycle and it started making even more
noise after a few monthes.

2) I got a swiftech MCP-350. Quiet, low current but very hard to keep
primed and I found that it wasn't enough cooling in the summer or on
very long trips.  I repolaced it with  a MCP 650. Much better but on a
12 mile freeway drive  it overheated and shut down a 1/2 block after a
stoplight. I don't have a fan on the radiator and I suspect when I
stopped moving it warmed up a little, then when I pulled the
acceleration amps it over heated.

Will try a 120mm Fan this summer, maybe a bigger pump or a second
pump.(redundency and scalability)

Does anyone know if I can mix and match differnt types of nicads in
series or parallel? Not whilst charging just for discharge.

Specifically what will happen if the following cells are combined in
series? in parallel?
Alcads rated 230Ah at the 5 hours rate (about 100Ah at one hour)
Nife cells rated 80Ah at the one hour rate
Saft STM100 -100Ah at one hour

>From what I have read (saft and alcad data) there shouldn't be a
problem, the batteries may discharge/charge which will slightly shorten
their life but doesn't cause too much damage. Have I understood
correctly?

I have another question which is probably really stupid, what happens if
you connect lead and nicad batteries in series?

thanks for any help

I have several sizes - the larger ones are approx. 4" wide by 6" long.
3-phase 40 Amp 480V. - still mount with #6/32 screws, just more of them.

Joseph H. Strubhar

E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Web:   www.gremcoinc.com