  1) RE: Questions on EV
        by Electro Automotive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: ZIF Recommendation
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  3) Re: Blind EV's
        by GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: Zilla for the newbie?
        by MIKE WILLMON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: Zilla for the newbie?
        by MIKE WILLMON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Please get us some more cars to plug in!
        by "brougham Baker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Please get us some more cars to plug in!
        by "brougham Baker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Please get us some more cars to plug in!
        by "brougham Baker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Wide vs Skinny Tires LRR
        by "Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: ZIF Recommendation
        by Bill Dennis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: Please get us some more cars to plug in!
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: OT: All of original Tesla patents
        by "Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Please get us some more cars to plug in!
        by "brougham Baker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: ZIF Recommendation
        by Bill Dennis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: EV math is not my strong point
        by "Peter Gabrielsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: Chassi - Pack Isolation
        by "Ted Sanders" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Fully sprung 'direct drive' (was: Regenerative suspension)
        by john fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) EVLN(Johnson Controls talks to Bush)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) EVLN(VEVA runs EV off scrap or revived SOPb4 batteries)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) EVLN(New ratings reduce MPG numbers)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Alternative transportation & energy in the White House
        by Tom Gocze <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) EVLN(Bush spent 5min looking at EVs)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) EVLN(USC & UCLA researchers' smogbuster EV)-long
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
At 03:54 PM 2/25/2007, you wrote:
I think its great your interested in EVs but even 60 miles on lead acid batteries is difficult at high speeds. The porsche is a good conversion vehicle from what iv'e heard, but i doubt you will be able to make 60 miles on one charge with lead acids.

Our DC Voilsporsche can do 80 - 100 miles on lead acid, under good conditions. In fact, we have had customers top 100 miles a couple times, once as much as 126 miles in a rally. This is using 120V of US 125 6V batteries. The AC system is more efficient and has regenerative braking, so it is capable of higher range.

Shari Prange

Electro Automotive POB 1113 Felton CA 95018-1113 Telephone 831-429-1989
http://www.electroauto.com [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Electric Car Conversion Kits * Components * Books * Videos * Since 1979

Most ZIF connectors have locking cams.  The lever must be unlocked before the
connector can be seperated.  Tyco / Amp makes some that might fit your needs:
http://catalog.tycoelectronics.com/TE/bin/TE.Connect?C=10115&F=0&M=CINF&GIID=409&LG=1&I=13

Ken

From: David Roden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Monday, February 26, 2007 5:22 am
Subject: RE: Zilla for the newbie?
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

> On 26 Feb 2007 at 5:50, Jeff Shanab wrote:

> > have experimented with a few cooling systems ...
>
> I realize that many EVDL are trying to save money, but may I
> suggest a pump
> that's designed for continuous use?  Here are a couple :
>
> http://metricmind.com/water.htm
>

> David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
> EV List Administrator

> Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not reach
> me.
> To send a private message, please obtain my email address from
> the webpage http://www.evdl.org/help/ .
> = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

<sp> the pump is rather "quiet"...

..because it only has 1 ceramic bearing and the impeller is magnetically
coupled to the motor which is inside a sealed housing.

From: "Cor van de Water" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_and_multiphase_power_plugs_and_socke
> ts

Don't pay too much heed to that wikipedia article- it's wrong.
Yellow- 2P+E this is for building site safety- 55-0-55 centre tap
transformer is used so the maximum P.D. to earth is only 55v. 16A max. The
cable sheath used is typically yellow as well.

Blue- P+N+E this is normal 230v phase neutral feed that we get domestically,
this is the more secure\water resistant plug used for Boats and Caravans.
Technically it shouldn't be on a building site. Usually the cable sheath is
blue. This is also a 16A max plug which has the same outer diameter and pin
diameter and placements as the Yellow type. There is also a much bigger 32A
version.

There is plastic notch on the outer ring to prevent misconnection to the
wrong voltage. Quite often this is ground off on dodgy building sites so
both cables can be used on the both the voltages. Always trace your wires
back to the real source to make sure what voltage it is running. It's been
15 years since I was on a big site so I haven't seen this for a while, but
it bet it still happens.

Red- 3P+E or 3P+N+E 400v phase to phase often used industrially.

Bro

From: "bruce parmenter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> On
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/402211445/in/photostream/
> it states there are two 240VAC power sources: 13 and 16 amp.
>
> I assume UK electrical code also limits the AC load to 80% of the
> outlet/breaker's rating. So a 13amp outlet is allowed a 10.5amp
> draw or 2.5kW source, and a 16amp outlet is allowed a 15amp draw
> or a 3kW source.

The current ratings are for maximum continuous draw.

> Are these common outlets one may find in a household or at a
> company's parking garage?

Yep

From: "Evan Tuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Charging points such as these should definitely be fitted with an RCD
> (US calls this a GFCI).

Yeah, I meant to ask about this a couple of weeks ago. I thought the GF part
was ground fault, in which case they aren't like us any more.

We used to have a system called ELCB- Earth leakage curcuit breaker. This
system is dead now as it introduces a break in the earth path. Any current
detected on the earth line would trip the breaker.

We now use an RCB\RCD for residual current breaker\device. Basically these
use current sensing on phase and neutral paths. If there is more current on
the positive than the neutral the current is going somewhere it shouldn't
and therefore trips. These are typically rated at 10,30, and 100mA ratings.
10mA personal protection, 30mA general household, 100mA industrial (motor
starts etc)

http://www.memonline.com/rcd1.html has useful diagram.

Bro

> They use 20% as an extreme ( "whopping") difference in tire RR, but the
> National Research Council has measured tire RR as low as 0.0062 and as
> high
> as 0.0152.   That is an increase of 145% from the lowest to the highest.
> If
> TireRack had used that number, they wouldn't have reached the same
> conclusion.

Sure... but not on the same auto. (Unless you choose to run MC tires on
your SUV. <G>)

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I think my use of "ZIP" was misleading. I'm not looking for a IC card type of connector. I've got 21 shunt regulators. All 21 regulators are attached in place, side by side, on two strips of rigid non-conducting material, like this:

    +----------+    +----------+    +----------+
    |          |    |          |    |          |
+----|          |----|          |----|          |----+
    |          |    |          |    |          |
    | Reg 1    |    |  Reg 2   |    |  Reg 3   |
+----|          |----|          |----|          |----+
    |          |    |          |    |          |
    +----------+    +----------+    +----------+

Each regulator is spaced to sit in front of its corresponding cell, I want each side of each regulator to snug into some type of connector that's wired to the cell's + and - terminal, respectively. Whatever that connectors is, it should be easy enough to push into and pull out of so that I can remove or reinstall all 21 regulators at the same time by pulling the strips away from the cells. Once the regulators have been snapped into their connectors. I'll lock the strips in place so that nothing can accidentally pop out during driving.

Hope that's clearer--though probably not :)

Bro,

The GFCI and RCD are two names for the same thing,
they measure the sum of the currents through the conductors that are
supposed to carry them and if the sum is not zero, there is a fault to
ground somewhere in the circuit after the protection and it turns off.

No current measurement in the ground conductor or something weird - that is
just plain wrong as the current can go to ground through your body, not the
ground conductor. The only good way is to measure the balance between all
phase and neutral wires.

Regards,

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water     IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel: +1 408 542 5225    VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax: +1 408 731 3675    eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Second Life: www.secondlife.com/?u=3b42cb3f4ae249319edb487991c30acb

> Charging points such as these should definitely be fitted with an RCD
> (US calls this a GFCI).

Yeah, I meant to ask about this a couple of weeks ago. I thought the GF part
was ground fault, in which case they aren't like us any more.

We used to have a system called ELCB- Earth leakage curcuit breaker. This
system is dead now as it introduces a break in the earth path. Any current
detected on the earth line would trip the breaker.

We now use an RCB\RCD for residual current breaker\device. Basically these
use current sensing on phase and neutral paths. If there is more current on
the positive than the neutral the current is going somewhere it shouldn't
and therefore trips. These are typically rated at 10,30, and 100mA ratings.
10mA personal protection, 30mA general household, 100mA industrial (motor
starts etc)

http://www.memonline.com/rcd1.html has useful diagram.

Bro

> I just saved the .png file for each screen.
> Not an easy or simple solution, but I saved all the
> .png images and imported them into Adobe (not a
> solution if you don't have the purchased version of
> Adobe).  I saved the 1841 patent by Samuel Morse for
> the telegraph and put it into a 8 page PDF if anybody
> is interested.  I guess you could import and paste
> .png images into another format.
> Rod

You can also use a product such as Snagit to grab your data. There are at
least 2 "Adobe Writers" on the I-net for free download. (They are from
other companies and do at least as good a job as the original, for most
things.)

From: "Cor van de Water" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> The GFCI and RCD are two names for the same thing,
> they measure the sum of the currents through the conductors that are
> supposed to carry them and if the sum is not zero, there is a fault to
> ground somewhere in the circuit after the protection and it turns off.

Cool, I though you guys were using ELCB's. Glad it's RCD's.

> No current measurement in the ground conductor or something weird - that
is
> just plain wrong as the current can go to ground through your body, not
the
> ground conductor. The only good way is to measure the balance between all
> phase and neutral wires.

Agreed. They are old school- from the days before doubly insulated
appliances came in and everything was earthed.
They are described here-
http://www.the50plus.co.uk/tech_support/RCD-ELCB-RCCB%20explained.htm

Bro

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Hm, my Email didn't seem to honor the fixed width. Let me try that ASCII again:

   +----------+    +----------+    +----------+
   |          |    |          |    |          |
+---|          |----|          |----|          |----+
|   |          |    |          |    |          |    |
+---|          |----|          |----|          |----+
   |          |    |          |    |          |
   | Reg 1    |    |  Reg 2   |    |  Reg 3   |
+---|          |----|          |----|          |----+
|   |          |    |          |    |          |    |
+---|          |----|          |----|          |----+
   |          |    |          |    |          |
   +----------+    +----------+    +----------+

EV calculator
http://www.evconvert.com/tools/evcalc/

Enjoy

On 2/25/07, Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I know you've done these calculations in the past, but I still am
blown away by them.

Let's overestimate and say 3,000 lbs for the cars weight.  60 PC680's.
 Two packs of 30 for 360 volts.

How much range for all this money?  How much will different motor
sizes affect range?  Which motor for maximum performance(1/4 mile)?
Two motors?  Which size for the two?

Big Zilla2K of course.  After spending $5,000 on a box, I'd really
like to run a lot more voltage.  348 volts seems to me to be holding
back the EV performance world.  360 is doable but likely frowned upon.

I think Bill Dube can get away with running 384 volts because when
charged up, that IS the voltage.  Unlike with 12 V lead acid, if we
had a "384 volt" pack, it would be like 460 volts when fully charged
up would it not?

$5,000 for a motor....  $5,000 for a controller....  $5,000 for 60 batteries...

3 things... no maintenance(?)...  How fast?  How much range?  I want
to be able to cruise this speedy silent machine.  It would be much
more neighborhood friendly having a fast car that was silent.

It's not like we're talking about spending $5, $50, or $500 here...

http://www.odysseyfactory.com/specs.htm

--
www.electric-lemon.com

Thanks to all for the great information.  I have not found the exact cause
but I have found that the cause is in the cable connecting the batteries in
the trunk and the batteries in the engine compartment.  I will have to get
under the car to inspect this cable.  Could salt build up on the cable cause
this problem?  I did drive about 30 miles in conditions where the road salt
was heavy.

In case you are interested I disconnected both the positive and negative
connections to the pack.  I rechecked the voltage and although it was much
less it was still there.  The switch between negative and positive voltage
was between battery 15 and battery 16.  When one end of the cable was
disconnected the voltage measure dropped to 0.1 on that end.  Disconnecting
the other end dropped the biggest voltage to 0.4 volts.

Beano -- 1981 Ford Escort EV
Ted Sanders

With tax season right around the corner, make sure to follow these few simple tips. http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Taxes/PreparationTips/PreparationTips.aspx?icid=HMFebtagline
Well we'll just have at agree to disagree about Code.

I looked it up last night in Tony's book, but the entire Internet seemed to be carrying Oscar talk ( 9000 ms hops?! ) , I need to jump through some installation hoops in order to cut&paste Tony's explanation of squat. The other replies here are correct enough, but Tony has some nice diagrams. The (my) confusion arises from two separate sets of forces at work: weight transfer and drive off the rear contact patch. They produce opposite reaction, usually but not always, and in unequal amounts.

I am going to say " worry about weight transfer, and leave suspension design to the experts." There is no way you are producing more torque than a big bike at launch, and you aren't going road racing. so any existing suspension should be good enough as long as your shock is somewhat adjustable. Stock motorcycle shocks used are cheap too. The important thing is mass centralization and trying to keep the COG in the same place.

In other words, don't do anything the chopper guys do.  ;>)

later
John

Randy Burleson wrote:
It is counter-intuitive, .... Keith Code well-explained the various rear-wheel forces at work in "

I'm definitely interested in hearing what Tony Foale's book has to say.
You probably just killed my spare time for weekend reading -- lots of
good stuff at: http://www.tonyfoale.com/

EVLN(Johnson Controls talks to Bush)
[The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV
informational purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
--- {EVangel}
http://sev.prnewswire.com/auto/20070223/CGF04823022007-1.html
Johnson Controls Executive Promotes Hybrid Battery Technology at
White House

MILWAUKEE, Feb. 23 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- A Johnson Controls
executive met with President George W. Bush and administration
officials at the White House today as part of a discussion about
alternative fuel vehicles.

Alex Molinaroli, president of Johnson Controls' power solutions
business, took part in the meetings this morning, and said that
the company is making significant progress on its development of
advanced batteries for fuel- efficient, environmentally friendly
hybrid vehicles.

"I was pleased to represent Johnson Controls today in these
meetings with President Bush and Energy Secretary Bodman, and to
lend support to the Administration's goal of reducing U.S.
gasoline consumption," said Molinaroli. "Johnson Controls is
working with the major automakers to develop a lithium- ion
battery system for commercially-viable, mass-produced plug-in
hybrid electric vehicles. Our goals are to produce safe,
long-life systems that will help enable people to buy affordable
plug-in hybrids from a local car dealer."

Major advances in lithium-ion battery technology will enable
global auto manufacturers to introduce a new generation of highly
fuel-efficient, environmentally friendly vehicles in the near
future, according to Molinaroli. He noted that engineers and
scientists at the company's joint venture -- Johnson
Controls-Saft Advanced Power Solutions (JCS) -- are gearing up to
supply lithium-ion batteries for tomorrow's hybrid-electric
vehicles (HEVs), plug-in hybrid-electric vehicles (PHEVs) and
electric vehicles (EVs).

In January 2007, JCS was awarded a development contract from
General Motors to design and test lithium-ion batteries for use
in the Saturn Vue Green Line plug-in hybrid sport-utility vehicle
(SUV). The company also recently signed a letter-of-intent with a
major automaker for the development of lithium-ion batteries for
a hybrid vehicle application.

Molinaroli said Johnson Controls also appreciated the research
and development support from the U.S. Department of Energy, and
the United States Advanced Battery Consortium which is part of
the United States Council on Automotive Research. He said that
the company's prototype battery systems for plug-in applications
currently are under evaluation at Argonne National Laboratory.

Johnson Controls recently showcased a wide array of its
power-storage solutions, including the latest advances in
lithium-ion technology, at the 2007 North American International
Auto Show (NAIAS) in Detroit, Michigan. The company's exhibit
featured a display of a production-ready, lithium-ion vehicle
battery system that was integrated into a prototype,
hybrid-electric SUV.

Johnson Controls is a global leader in automotive experience,
building efficiency and power solutions. The company provides
innovative automotive interiors that help make driving more
comfortable, safe and enjoyable. For buildings, it offers
products and services that optimize energy use and improve
comfort and security. Johnson Controls also provides batteries
for automobiles and hybrid electric vehicles, along with systems
engineering and service expertise. Johnson Controls (NYSE: JCI)
has 136,000 employees in more than 1,000 locations serving
customers in 125 countries. Founded in 1885, the company is
headquartered in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. For additional
information, please visit http://www.johnsoncontrols.com/ .

Company News On-Call: http://www.prnewswire.com/comp/473547.html
Website: http://www.johnsoncontrols.com/
Copyright © 1996-2003 PR Newswire Association LLC. All Rights
Reserved.
-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor, RE & AFV newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
===== Undo Petroleum Everywhere

EVLN(VEVA runs EV off scrap or revived SOPb4 batteries)
[The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV
informational purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
--- {EVangel}
http://www.burnabynewsleader.com/portals-code/list.cgi?paper=41&cat=23&id=840387&more=
‘Unusable’ batteries power pickup
Gary Tang, left, and Rob Matthies with their electric vehicle
that runs off of old car batteries.
By Michael McQuillan  NewsLeader  Feb 23 2007

The problem with electric cars is they’ve always been so
expensive that they aren’t practical.

Two local men are working on a solution that could change that.

Gary Tang of Burnaby and Rob Matthies of Vancouver recently
completed work on a 1982 Chevy S15 truck that runs on what would
be considered unusable batteries. Earlier this month the two
drove the pickup around Burnaby, making it the first time a
four-wheel has run only off scrap or revived batteries.

It doesn’t sound like much, but there are potential implications
that could make the pair’s drive around Tang’s neighbourhood
history making.

It looks like we are the first ones on the planet to have a
licensed pick-up truck to run exclusively off so-called dead
batteries,” said Matthies, who, like Tang, is a member of the
Vancouver Electric Vehicle Association [ http://www.veva.bc.ca ].

It’s pretty close to free energy because these batteries cost us
nothing. So it’s a free ride,” he said.

If the battery revival technology could be improved on it could
be used throughout the world, especially in Third World
countries. It would also lower the cost of electric cars, since
batteries would have a longer life.

Over two-thirds of the cost of an electric car is for the
batteries.

According to Matthies there are approximately 100 million
automobile batteries used up every year.

We’ve taken batteries that most people would consider have
exhausted their lives and are no long usable. And by a secret
process we have revived them.

We’ve been doing this for years with electric bikes and scooters
and we find we can revive them between five and six times.”

Electric cars could be an important tool in stopping or slowing
down global warming. Gas powered cars are the single largest
source of carbon emissions in many countries, including Canada.
Electric cars have no emissions.

Canadians have to cut down their carbon emissions by 96 per cent
to be just to the other nations of the world who are catching up
to 96 percent reduction,” said Matthies. “Our view is that there
is no price high enough to stave off global extinction, because
that’s what we’re facing with global warming if we don’t do
something about it.”

But electric cars still have a ways to go, said Tang, a
mechanical engineer. An electric truck requires 1,600 pounds of
lead-acid type batteries to drive in the range of 60 to 80
kilometres an hour. More expensive batteries like nickel metal
hydride and lithium ion can increase the car’s performance and
decrease the weight.

mmcquillan@ burnabynewsleader.com  colleen flanagan/newsleader
© Copyright 2007 Burnaby NewsLeader
-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor, RE & AFV newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
===== Undo Petroleum Everywhere

TV dinner still cooling?
http://tv.yahoo.com/

EVLN(New ratings reduce MPG numbers)
[The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV
informational purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
--- {EVangel}
http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?page=article&Article_ID=14232
Daily Policy Digest   Environment Issues   February 23, 2007
CAR M.P.G. RATINGS GOING DOWN

Fuel-saving gasoline-electric hybrid cars don't save as much fuel
as thought, according to new government fuel-economy ratings
available to the public for the first time.

The new ratings go into effect beginning with 2008 models, a few
of which will soon be on sale.  But now it's possible to tell
what rating 2007 and older models would get using the 2008
standards.

Toyota's Prius, the best-known and best-selling gas-electric car
in the United States, drops from a 60 mpg rating under the
current system to 48 miles per gallon in the city under the 2008
testing procedure -- a 20 percent decline.

Its highway mileage rating falls about 12 percent, to 45 mpg.

The Ford Escape hybrid, which uses a gasoline-electric drive
system similar to Toyota's, goes down about 12 percent.

"What the cars get hasn't changed. It's just the numbers on the
sticker," says Toyota spokesman Mike Michels.  The lowered Prius
rating is "probably more reflective of real-world experience," he
says.

Tests the government has used for mileage estimates were created
in the 1970s and haven't reflected today's driving environment.
They have assumed, for instance, that people don't use air
conditioning and don't drive more than about 60 mph.

Source: James R. Healey, "Car mpg ratings going down; Hybrids
take biggest hit in new system," USA Today, February 23, 2007.

For text:

http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/news/20070223/1a_lede23x_dom.art.htm

For website: www.fueleconomy.gov
For more on Gasoline/Petroleum:
 http://eteam.ncpa.org/issues/?c=gasoline-and-petroleum
For more on Environment Issues:
 http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_Category=31

We depend on the financial support of individuals. We need your
help to continue our work.  Join the NCPA today!
Copyright © 2007 National Center for Policy Analysis. All rights
reserved
-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor, RE & AFV newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
===== Undo Petroleum Everywhere

Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.

--- Begin Message --- Those panels were for solar hot water, I know because I rebuilt them and installed them at Unity College in Unity Maine.

They were really removed because they needed to re-roof that wing of the White House and some brilliant designer installed them so close together that the only way they could be removed was with a recip saw. I spent weeks rebuilding the manifolds. The powers that be decided that it was not cost effective to rebuild them like I did (it was a bitch!) and they wound up here in Maine.

Ah, bureaucracy.
Tom
hotandcold.tv

EVLN(Bush spent 5min looking at EVs)
[The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV
informational purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
--- {EVangel}
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070224/BIZ04/702240333/1001/BIZ
Business Insider  BlackBerry thumb suckers  The Detroit News
[...]
No sparks between Bush, Toyota

A coatless President Bush spent about five minutes looking over a
couple of electric vehicles on the White House south lawn Friday.
A 2007 Toyota Prius -- modified by A123 Systems to be a plug-in
that could go up to 40 miles on battery power -- was plugged via
an orange extension cord.

But Bush opted not to sit in either one or listen to either one
start.

White House reporters asked him whether he planned to buy one for
the ranch or put an electric vehicle in the presidential
motorcade. He smiled at the questions and said: "Have a good
weekend" several times, frustrating reporters trying to wring
more out of the story.
[...]
Contributors: Brian O'Connor, Sharon Terlep, David Shepardson,
Greg Tasker
-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor, RE & AFV newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
===== Undo Petroleum Everywhere

Bored stiff? Loosen up...
http://games.yahoo.com/games/front

EVLN(USC & UCLA researchers' smogbuster EV)-long
[The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV
informational purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
--- {EVangel}
http://media.www.dailytrojan.com/media/storage/paper679/news/2007/02/26/News/Electronic.Car.Tests.Pollution.On.The.Go-2741454.shtml

[Media Credit: Michael Sugarman

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper679/stills/0iov73vt.jpg
On the go | Kathleen Kozawa, USC doctoral candidate, adjusts
equipment in the state-of-the-art SUV she uses to conduct
pollution research around Los Angeles.]

Electronic car tests pollution on the go

USC and UCLA researchers team up to collect samples to analyze
L.A. air near freeways, neighborhoods.
 Hannah Kim  Issue date: 2/26/07 Section: News

At first glance, USC assistant professor Scott Fruin's [Electric
Vehicle (EV)] looks like something out of "Back to the Future"
meets "Ghostbusters."

Passersby might be forgiven for gawking at the claw-and-spear
combination that sits atop the white [Toyota RAV-4 EV] Fruin
pilots around town.

But far from being stolen out of a Hollywood backlot, the
electric vehicle actually performs an important function:
measuring concentrations of harmful particles on freeways and in
nearby residential areas.

Fruin, a former California Air Resources Board pollution
specialist, is conducting research with UCLA School of Public
Health doctorate candidate Kathleen Kozawa.

The pair outfitted an electric vehicle with highly sensitive
equipment that takes outside air samples and analyzes it while
they are driving. The information is transferred into a laptop,
which monitors the increase and decrease in particle and gas
concentrations as they drive around Los Angeles.

The [EV] is also outfitted with a camera attached to the area
where the rearview mirror is located to record what is going on
at a particular moment.

Mobile lab brings new research to the table
Research about air pollution has been done before, but Fruin said
most of these experiments were done in laboratories.

The goal was "to get instruments closer to where people spend
their time," Fruin said. "So this is an attempt to get those
instruments to the same locations so we can better estimate
exposure (to the pollutants)."

Fruin and Kazawa are focusing their research on the port areas of
Los Angeles and Long Beach but also measure the air around USC.
They are specifically interested in the emissions of diesel
trucks.

Fruin said 40 percent of the nation's cargo comes in from the two
[LA] ports, leading to more traffic and air pollution around that
area.

"Each cargo container involves one to two diesel truck trips and
maybe a locomotive trip, so there are lots of diesel emissions
associated with them," Fruin said.

The two start in a small, fenced concrete area where the electric
vehicle was parked, adjacent to the University Parking Center.

"This is a pretty good sample about what urban L.A. is like,"
Fruin said.

>From there they usually take two routes that run through Carson,
Wilmington, San Pedro and the Long Beach and Los Angeles
harbors.

"One route [is] more focused on heavily trafficked surface
streets - streets where you might find a lot of trucks," Kozawa
said. "The second focuses on residential areas."

>From the research, Fruin and Kozawa found motorists downwind of
diesel vehicles breathe substantially more toxins than other
drivers.

Fruin noted it was better to be a pedestrian or cyclist because
there is a less likely chance they would be directly hit by a
plume from a vehicle.

People sitting in rush-hour traffic, however, would constantly be
ingesting toxins because the chemicals would be emitted near
them, meaning that the pollutants would have less time to
disperse before being inhaled, Fruin said.
[...]
In spite of the increase in cars and miles driven cars,
California air standards have led to cleaner cars that burn fuel
more efficiently. A large problem still remains in diesel
vehicles, Fruin said.

"When you drive on freeways, the exposure you get while driving
seems to be driven by (diesel) trucks rather than cars," he said.
"With cars you can set a new standard, and five years later
they're on the road in high fractions. But a new truck standard
takes decades."

The particles and gases emitted by trucks on freeways and busy
streets can affect areas adjacent to freeways. High levels of
these particles can be found up to a thousand meters away from
the freeway.

"Sometimes we get impacted by the 110 [freeway]," Fruin said.
"When the sea breeze starts in the morning, it generally goes
east. When it shifts in the afternoon, that's when the main
campus is affected by the 110."

Several organizations support the lab
Fruin and Kazawa are both funded by the Air Resource Board
[ http://arb.ca.gov ]. Fruin said it plans to use the data
collected to create more intelligent and effective policy about
vehicle exhaust.

He said the Environmental Protection Agency is also interested in
the data because it deals with the problems of truck emissions
throughout every big city in the nation.

Nelson Chen, a CALPIRG member majoring in political science and
environmental studies, said he believes that this research will
reinforce what is already known in order to catalyze change.

"I think that this study is good, and it's just revealing the
obvious, if not fortifying what we already know," he said. "This
is just makes it a little more visceral, a little more detailed,
and now it hits home even more.

"I feel with the findings of this report, it'll only strengthen
the convictions of those that are working to combat global
warming and also educate those that are unaware of or ignore this
problem," he said.

Carbon dioxide was one of the gases being monitored in the
research.

Kawada said the monitoring would continue until the end of the
first full week of March. They would then collect data in the
spring, summer and fall in order to obtain data for each season.
© Copyright 2007 Daily Trojan

===

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0oGkmcmSeNFAjsBWhFXNyoA?p=USC+Scott+Fruin

-