  1) CC drag racing and  Contactor controller control?
        by "jerryd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Blind EVs
        by john fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: Fully sprung 'direct drive' (was: Regenerative suspension)
        by "Randy Burleson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Contactor controller control?
        by Doug Weathers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Fully sprung 'direct drive' (was: Regenerative suspension)
        by john fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: any suggestions for traction pack powered accessory fuses?
        by David Brandt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Tango lane splitting
        by john fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: EVLN(New ratings reduce MPG numbers)
        by "Randy Burleson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: [EV] RE: [EV] RE: Contactor controller control?
        by Eduardo Kaftanski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) 2-speed transfer cases (RE: Speaking of Hybrids)
        by "Randy Burleson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: Contactor controller control?
        by "Randy Burleson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) PFC 20 thermal compensation
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) EV vs. ICE (was: Re: May issue of Car and Driver confirmed)
        by "Chris Tromley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Should I buy 2 more batteries?
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: axles (was: RE: Speaking of Hybrids)
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: axles (was: RE: Speaking of Hybrids)
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Contactor controller control?
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: axles (was: RE: Speaking of Hybrids)
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: Questions on EV
        by "Mick Abraham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Should I buy 2 more batteries?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Should I buy 2 more batteries?
        by Mark Brueggemann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Tango lane splitting
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Tango lane splitting
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: EV vs. ICE (was: Re: May issue of Car and Driver confirmed)
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: EV math is not my strong point
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: EV math is not my strong point
        by "Peter Gabrielsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: axles (was: RE: Speaking of Hybrids)
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
         Hi Cor, Damon and All,

-Sure, which version?
-When you know what you want (which voltages) and how many
speeds
-(with start resistors) then the only practical thing is if
you
-have single pole contactors or multi-pole and whether you
want to build with
=diodes or all contactors
-(three voltage levels can require up to 9 contactors)

-Some safety-additions to avoid short circuses by checking
contactor state
-require some helper contacts to make things a even little
more complicated,
-but the essential ingredient of any contactor controller
is:
- one "series" contactor that can switch two (sets of)
batteries in series
(connect one + to next -)
- two "parallel" contactors (or two contacts on a single
contactor) to
-switch two (sets of) batteries in parallel (connect one +
to the other + and
-one - to the next -)

-The rest is variations on this, adding second or third
layers of
-series/parallel switching and adding a startup resistor
that can be bypassed
-by a contactor.

         I did my 5 speed not including stop by using a 2
speed pedal, first one was a manual converted to contactor
which had the resistor stage first, then on. The S/P was a
switch on the panel giving 2 speeds with the pedal let off
for the switching and then a field weakening speed for
between the S and P stages and for higher rpm in the S
position. The problem is one needs to remember which speed
you are it before you hit the pedal. I found out even a
36vdc can burn rubber if you start it in S and you need to
make sure you only use field weakening at higher rpm's.
          Easiest on the batts, motor, drive train is
letting the motor wind out before hitting the next speed. Or
you can find out just how many amps a CC will do!!
          I was thinking, dangerous I know, about using 3
amp diodes to build a switching matrix to do the correct
speed sequence, using a narrow wiper contact over a group of
copper bars with enough room between them so the switch
turns off before the next speed?
           Thus when hitting the first one, diodes going to
the P contactors starts you up on the lower voltage and the
resistor, next for 2nd, doides go to the resistor shorting
contactor and the P contactor. For 3rd it would go to those
plus the FW, 4th would go to the Resistor shorting Contactor
and the S contactor, 5th does them and FW. This only
requires 5 SPST contactors with a circuit breaker and fuse.
           Which would make it where you couldn't be wrong
which speed you were in from a stop.

    #8 and #9 are at 11.1 and 11.2  :-(

I am interpreting this as most my batteries are in the 40-50% SOC range
(since this is an off-throttle voltage and will rise a little if i waited)
I am interpreting #8 and #9 to be at 0%!

The goal is just to commute the 14ish miles a day.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- well thanks lee. I was also thinking that shortening the half-shafts is going to be the easy part of narrowing the rear, you'll have to narrow the rest of the suspension too.

I'm going to the salvage yard tomorrow and get a 7.5" t-bird irs rear ($150) and see if I can use it, how heavy etc.
A 5.14 gear is available for the 7.5.
At minimum the half-shafts are 28-spline and so will plug into the 9" pumpkin.

Jack

Lee Hart wrote:
Jack Murray wrote:

http://www.moserengineering.com/Pages/Shop-Services/shopservices.html

Moser Engineering resplines OEM and aftermarket axles, custom shafts, 4 wheel drive axle shafts, transmission shafts, and clutch input/output shafts.

We can cold spline almost any shaft up to 60 Rockwell in hardness that has enough material to cut full depth splines. Our machining capabilities include shafts up to 3" in diameter and lengths up to 48". All resplining is done cold so no annealing or heat treatment is required.
Single Axle
$65 each

Aha! I'll contact them and see what can be done.

See; I told you there are smart people on this list!

If anyone else wants to try using a T-Bird rear end for their EV, I have a '92
for parts, near Modesto CA. Cheap cheap cheap

=============

At 09:21 PM 27/02/07 +0000, damon wrote:
[...]

G'day Damon, and all

Damon, first up, what level of tech are you? Mechanical, electrical, analogue electronics, digital electronics, microprocessor? and as much as anything, what's your favorite?

Me, I'd use a potbox to give a voltage, and a micro PLC that is also seeing amps so to step back to lower stages if the amps are too high, and allow up when the amps are falling back, driving your control relays. Same thing can be done in a microprocessor, hard to do mechanically.

You may be mechanical, so set up a shaft like a potbox shaft with a bunch of cams and microswitches, but you have no current limiting then, other than the operator. Ask your local bearings-and-sprockets dealer about "Shaft collars", these are pre-made steel rings (like short pieces of pipe) that have precise inside diameter and usually two grubscrews holding them. You can grind them into being cams and lift roller-arm or roller-plunger microswitches with them, one cam per switch, and do up the grub screws to lock them in place once you have the settings.

Anyway, pick your number of steps, your way of converting mechanical to electrical steps, then use the control relays to do the logic for interlocking the stages (unless you are confident in your designing ability to make the drivers failsafe). (Diodes are good for "AND" the contactor coils). If you need help with the relay logic for the interlocks, or design of the mechanical movement to electrical system 'sing out'.

Let us know how you go.

Regards

[Technik] James

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> If anyone else wants to try using a T-Bird rear end for their EV, I have
> a '92 for parts, near Modesto CA. Cheap, cheap, cheap.

We just bought a '92 T'Bird ourselves for parts. Looks like a fine source of
parts for anyone planning to build their own Sunrise. They have disk front /
drum rear brakes, which is what I'm thinking of using myself.

Note that there are two differentials; cars with a V6 engine have a smaller
one, and cars with a V8 have the bigger 8.9". Either can be used, but we could
only find gear up to 4.89:1 (or thereabouts). The 8.9" accepts up to 5.14:1.

Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I was also thinking that shortening the half-shafts is going to be the easy
> part of narrowing the rear. You'll have to narrow the rest of the suspension
> too.

Yes. We cut the rear subframe in half, took 10" out of the center, and tack
welded it back togehter to serve as the pattern. We're making our own
replacement subframe from square steel tubing. This subframe will fit into
slots in the composite chassis, mounts the inverted differential, and has the
motor mounting plate on it.

> I'm going to the salvage yard tomorrow and get a 7.5" t-bird irs rear
> ($150) and see if I can use it, how heavy etc.
> A 5.14 gear is available for the 7.5.
> At minimum the half-shafts are 28-spline and so will plug into the 9"
> pumpkin.

Where did you find 5.14:1 gears for the 7.5"?
--
Lee Hart

Cor van de Water said:

I think Mick  meant 3,000 Watt of solar panels to recharge the pack in a day
(5 hours sun x 3 kW = 15 kWh into the batteries)

[Mick says:] Thanks, Cor, but I was really speculating about a running
wattage of "3,000 watts or more". Emphasis on "or more". I thought at the
time that 3,000 watts was way low, but didn't want to unfairly overstate the
power draw for a 914 VoltsPorsche since I don't know. Cor's math is correct:
if one had a 3kW solar array plus a chance to plug a vehicle into that much
PV for a sunny day...

Peter VanDerWal said: "at only 3,000 watts, that 914 isn't going to be
"running"...walking or jogging maybe."

[Mick says:] Point well taken, Peter. The bottom line is that there's a huge
difference between running wattage for a converted vehicle and the amount of
solar wattage that could practically be mounted onto the same vehicle.

Mick Abraham
www.abrahamsolar.com

From: Jeff Shanab
> ...range dropped dramatically. Couldn't make it to work and back (5kwh)...
> 24 Orbitals at 34ah 1hr rate * .8 should be 7.8kwh so I am using 50% per
> day... did some testing... 4 batteries [weak], 2 [bad]... I bought a new
> battery and swapped the other with the aux battery as it was the same
> type, newer and has seen very light duty...
>
> Checking voltages immediately after the commute...
> The new battery was 12.3V both days.
> The old Aux battery and all the others except #8 and #9 were 12.1+/- .1V
> #8 and #9 are at 11.1 and 11.2  :-(
>
> I am interpreting this as most my batteries are in the 40-50% SOC range
> (since this is an off-throttle voltage and will rise a little if i waited)
> I am interpreting #8 and #9 to be at 0%!

First, the voltage immediately after driving isn't a good indication of state
of charge. About all it tells you is if you have reversed any cells. Since all
were over ~10v, none were reversed.

Wait for at least a few hours after driving (without charging), and the see
what the individual battery voltages are. Waiting overnight is better, but you
can't do this if you expect to recharge for a drive the next day.

Let us know what these voltages are, and we can proceed from there!
--
Lee Hart

--- Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am checking these voltages immediately after the commute.

You should be testing them under load.  If you have an electric
heater in the car you can just use that.  Otherwise fabricate
something that will put a nominal load on the pack, and the weak
ones will easily stand out.

Additionally, you should be looking to replace the pack as a whole
at this point.  With the wide range of battery age, cycles and
merit all mixed together, you will never achieve balance, or
potential life of even the good ones.  If all you're interested
in is learning and trying things you can press forward, but
it will never be a homogeneous pack and it will cost you more in
the long run.  (Been there, done it.)

Mark "EV Basher" Brueggemann
Albuquerque, NM
S-10 EV

Folks, this is interesting and I'm encouraged by the relatively cool tone that
pervades a potentially controversial thread.  However, it's wandered off topic.

The point has been made that the Tango EV was designed to be narrow
enough to lane-split, if the law allows, and if the driver chooses to do so.
Further discussion that specifically focuses on the Tango is fine and certainly
welcome. Otherwise, please, let's not turn this into an off-topic debate about
the general merits and demerits of lane splitting.  We're here to advance the
cause of EVs, and I'm not sure that arguing over lane splitting itself will do
much for that.

Thanks.

David Roden
EVDL Administrator

I think we're wandering off topic. Rick said the Tango can legally do lane
*sharing*, with two Tangos and/or motorcycles side-by-side in the same lane.

Late splitting is quite different. I think that is generally accepted to mean
driving down the centerline between lanes. You're only allowed to do this for
100 feet or so, while changing lanes; not drive continuously there.
--
Lee Hart

Hey Chris, all

I think EVeryone would have to concede that the best
EV out there can't take down the best gasser (yet)lol.
I tend to side with GW on this one though.  More often
than not WZ wins it's runs against average track
racers.  Add to that the fact of when WZ ran it's
first bracket race, the other racers were telling Tim
he was in the wrong lane because he was in the big dog
lane.  Zombie was the slowest big dog but big enough
bite, hehe.

Maybe you weren't there when Tim made a little boy cry
when Tim ate up the boys uncle in a mach1 (plasma boy
can confirm this)just smoked him.  Another time that
sticks out for me was at the truck stop after the
Hooter girl show and shine 8^o.  One of the guys had a
low 11 sec car, but he walked away from Tim's ride
with utter respect.  I also believe that for
KillaCycle to attend an "all Harley" race and run with
the boys at least proves EV's can run with the pack
(no pun intended).

As far as costs go I'm sure that their are ICE racers
throwing equal bucks on their machines.  Waylands got
a lot of things sponsored but John's a good stewert of
that sponsorship, well except for that sex scandal,
drug bust, petty B&E, anyway bad example, lets take
Bill.  Even with his A123's I bet he's in ballpark of
what others are spending.  If nothing else looking at
my new HotRod magazine I see a really good write up on
Bills bike 8^)

I'm actually new to the whole race thing really, but
ol Wayland's got me hooked.  I think Wayland said it
best after Ted West's run... "Ted West just ran a 12.3
at 103 MPH in a battey powered car, Take that gasoline
people"! I have it on tape 8^)  I will admit I may be
a little bias on my oppinion 8^)
Had fun
Cya

--- Chris Tromley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> GWMobile wrote:
>
> > The day the majority of hotrodders realize an
> electric vehicle can kick
> > their $#% is the day that electric vehicles will
> start to really take
> > off.
>
> It's good to be up to date on the list for the first
> time in many
> months and be able to contribute again.
>
> The sentiment above is one I had myself when I was
> new to EVs, even
> though I have some experience at a pretty high level
> of professional
> (ICE) racing.  It's easy to get caught up in the
> excitement of showing
> the world how EVs really are viable.  But let's not
> go too far.
> Beating an ICE with a comparable EV is very hard, if
> not impossible
> (so far).  Of course "comparable" is very difficult
> to define.
>
> The top guns in the EV racing world are John
> Wayland's White Zombie,
> Bill Dube's Killacycle and Dennis Berube's Current
> Eliminator.  I
> don't know much about rail dragsters, so better not
> to comment on
> Dennis' amazing achievements.

Never miss an email again!

Peter wrote:

That's not quite how it works though, the comm will still see the full
720V and most likely fireball instantly.

If I set the motor side of the Zilla to 170 v though?

Nope, the controller switches the pack to the motor ~20000 times a
second, 23.6% percent of each switching cycle the motor will see the
full pack voltage (minus sag) and the rest of the cycle it will be
disconnected from the pack. The average voltage will then be 170V, but
peak is full pack voltage.

On 2/27/07, Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Peter wrote:

> That's not quite how it works though, the comm will still see the full
> 720V and most likely fireball instantly.

If I set the motor side of the Zilla to 170 v though?

--
www.electric-lemon.com

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- sounds good, particularly if you use the smaller 7.5, the 8.8 seems way too heavy for what will be a very lightweight car.
I found the 7.5 5:13 gear at Mark Williams
http://www.markwilliams.com/detail.aspx?ID=1477
but then found that Summit also had a Richmond gear
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=RMG%2DSFD7507&N=700+400137+4294918962+4294900886+4294776357+115&autoview=sku

What are you using to connect the motor to the differential?
I don't have much room at all in the aspire for a long coupler, given what looks like a long pinion snout on the 7.5, it probably won't fit horizontal mounting, I'll have to rotate it up. Is there an issue for the ADC motor to operate that way? do they have to be level?? Another thought is to mount the motor above the diff and use a short chain or belt drive onto the pinion. This drive can be 1:1 so no problem getting the parts for that, in fact, with some gearing here, say 1:1.5 would only require a gear in the diff of 3.0, so the stock gears could be used.

I think an 9in might actually weigh less, the case is small compared to the large iron irs case, an aluminum one would almost certainly weigh less.

hope that helps,
jack