  1) Re: A few new KillaCycle photos (battery assembly)
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Tango lane splitting
        by "John G. Lussmyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: EV's, Ewoody and safety,
        by "jerryd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Toyota pedal /plug in
        by "jmygann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Various Controller Thoughts (was RE: Contactor controller control?)
        by "jerryd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: EV's, Ewoody and safety,
        by Don Cameron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Compressed air as battery?
        by "Brandon Kruger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Compressed air as battery?
        by xx xx <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: Various Controller Thoughts (was RE: Contactor controller con
        trol?)
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Toyota pedal /plug in
        by Juergen Weichert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Well, how is the AltairNano Pack working?
        by Ray Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: Compressed air as battery?
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: EV competition classification question
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: Compressed air as battery?
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: EV's, Ewoody and safety,
        by Don Cameron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: EV's, Ewoody and safety,
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
A123 Systems cells have more power per pound than any other Li-Ion cell.

I am always amused when folks compare the cost of A123 cells to ordinary laptop cells. It is like complaining that diamonds are so much more expensive than coal. :-) They are both made of carbon, so, somehow, they should cost the same.

Bill Dube'

At 05:44 PM 3/1/2007, you wrote:
These are the ones with A123Systems Lions in them, correct?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-DeWALT-DC9360-36V-Li-Ion-Battery- Pack_W0QQitemZ220087783449QQihZ012QQcategoryZ20794QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So a 36v pack I assume means 10 or 11 cells in there, ~$10/cell is
about right. But $10 for 7.6Wh = $1.30/Wh.. ouch, that's almost 3x
the cost of mainstream lithiums!

Although I guess since they can deliver 50C+, you could argue that
the power per dollar is not too bad.

-Ian

On 02/03/2007, at 2:14 AM, damon henry wrote:

That's easy since you can buy them.  In Dewalt tool packs they cost
~$10 a cell or you can buy the new A123racing RC packs
(www.a123racing.com) which are priced at ~$15 a cell.  Since this
is the only way we can get them, this is the cost to get started.
Add on top of that, assembly, BMS, and charging and you can see
that if this is what you really really really want for Christmas
you can have it, but for most on this list it is still just too
expensive.

damon

From: "C. Dreike, Advantage Automation, Inc" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Re: A few new KillaCycle photos (battery assembly)
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 16:51:45 -0800

I'm sure the A123's are not cheap. Could you give us a flavor for
the cost of 800 batteries?

Thanks,
Chris Dreike

With tax season right around the corner, make sure to follow these
few simple tips. http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Taxes/ PreparationTips/PreparationTips.aspx?icid=HMFebtagline

At 01:34 PM 2/28/2007, Lee Hart wrote:
Rick Woodbury has done lane sharing with his Tangos; indeed, I believe he had a video of it somewhere. He was driving side-by-side with a motorcycle.

Make sure you are talking about the same thing.
Your Subject line refers to Lane Splitting (going between 2 lanes of cars - usually they are essentially parked.) You message body refers to Lane Sharing, where 2 bikes ride side-by-side. (Actually, the bikes usually ride in stagger file formation, so they aren't actually side-by-side, just alternating sides of the lane.)

--
John G. Lussmyer      mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dragons soar and Tigers prowl while I dream....

            Hi Don and All,

From: "Randy Burleson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Various Controller Thoughts (was RE: Contactor
controller control?)
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 17:58:13 -0800

>> Answered last year Aug 29, see the copy from the archives
>> below Randii's question.
>Thanks for digging, Cor.
>
>> The 1912 Detroit uses a large drum with heavy copper
>> contacts  and carbon brushes.  As the drum is rotated by
>> the throttle lever  (not peddle) it changes the battery
>configuration.
>
>So basically, it is was just a simplified mechanical way of
>making and breaking contacts...

       Yes, on can do it linear or a disc version too.

>Obviously a pulse-width modulating controller is more
>linear and gentler to all parts of the circuit, but *IF*
>the driver avoids "shifting" under power, is a contactor
>controller otherwise robust (assuming a redundant emergency
>shutoff)?

         I shift under power as long as you don't do too big
a jump. Best is to let the motor run up before switching to
keep amps down.

>As I research more into controllers, I am pleased at the
>prices and functions that I see for lightweight vehicles --
>I guess the number of golf carts is pretty useful in terms
>of economies of scale.
>http://www.electricvehiclesusa.com/category_s/156.htm
>
>Are there rules of thumb for pack size vs. vehicle weight
>vs. controller? If I stay at or near 1K pounds (plus 40%
>for passengers), am I being realistic to think of a 48V
>pack, pushed through a simple 300A controller?

         No. I'd go either a 600-100 amp 48vdc controller
which are still fairly cheap. Though a CC will match them in
power for much less money. And remember if it's a Curtus,
you are getting only about 225 real amps on a 300 amp
controller. Go Altrax for much better quality that meets
their specs or more at about the same price.
         For just a little more weight I'm using a 72vdc,
450 amp is about the minimum for good performance. But still
considering the 1000 amp 48vdc as an econo version, about as
fast with less range from fewer batts.
                            Jerry Dycus

>Randii

"I find this discussion a little ridiculous"

your argument is ridiculous.  We may as well throw out all crash testing,
sounds like is useless...

Don Cameron, Victoria, BC, Canada

Check out the EV FAQ:  www.evparts.com/faq

Check out the EV Photo Album: www.evalbum.com

From: Doug Weathers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: EV bashing,  RE: T-105 Sitcker Shock
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 10:07:31 -0700

>On Mar 1, 2007, at 7:02 AM, Mark Brueggemann wrote:
>
>> When the EWoody passes a crash test, I'll be a believer.
>
>The eWoody *did* pass a crash test.  Someone rear-ended him , and Jerry
>was unhurt and the eWoody was easily and quickly repairable, even
>though the other car was badly damaged (totalled?).

        Exactly. My point though was one can design safety in a light
vehicle and one way to do it amoung many. And certain materials are very
inexpensive, easy to repair.
        In Japan, the Kei cars, the old Honda 600, Subaru 360 from the 70's
were that class, are the safest cars in Japan!! Not because they stand
crashes well, but because of the way  and the places they drive. So safety
comes in many forms.

>No, this is not the same as a DOT certification, but it's real-world
>data.  Jerry designed the eWoody to survive this type of crash, and it
>did.

         Yes.

>When he can afford it, he may get an official crash test.
>On the other  hand, if he can afford it, it means that he has made
>millions of  dollars selling FreedomEVs that haven't been officially
>crash-tested.

         I do plan on crash testing it. But some of the safest vehicles out
there are the F1, Indycars, ect, that are built much like mine and use the
same methods for crash safety at up to 220 mph. Only I have much larger
crush zones added to their methods like using the tires as energy absorbers,
foam, racing seatbelts, ect.

>We'll just have to see how many Americans will buy vehicles without
>crash certifications and air bags.  Certainly,
>some of them will.   Jerry doesn't need or even want to
>sell to Joe Sixpack and Susie Soccer  Mom at this time.
>He's only planning to build tens of cars per year at  this point.

         Exactly. But look at how many drive MC's?  I only need to sell 1%
of car buyers to be rich beyound my wildest dreams. And I think 1% would
easily want to drive a Freedom EV! But I won't sell to others that EVer's
until I get a good handle on it and design a whole new Freedom EV for them
from what I learn.
                         Thanks,
                             Jerry Dycus

>--
>Doug Weathers
>Las Cruces, NM, USA
>http://www.gdunge.com/

Hello,

Has anyone thought about using compressed air to store energy as a
replacement to batteries?  After seeing the "aircar" on Future Car, I think
compressed air has some potential for energy storage.  Depending on the
weight of the tanks (aircar used carbon fiber) and the energy being stored,
it could definitely yield a higher energy density then lead-acid.  Using a
motor to drive a generator, it would be possible to electrically recharge
the car and it would deliver life cycles many times higher than and battery
of today.  I made a diagram of how I imagined this vehicle.
http://bmk789.dyndns.org/pics/aircar.png  It could work as a serial PHEV.
Compressed air tanks could also potentially be refilled quickly.  Is there
some obvious problem with this idea or am I overestimating the amount of
energy that can be stored as compressed air?

Brandon

But you are still carrying around a motor, even if
it's air powered, and it still has maintenance issues
and inefficiencies. They really oversold the aircar on
Future Car.

John

--- Brandon Kruger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Has anyone thought about using compressed air to
> store energy as a
> replacement to batteries?  After seeing the "aircar"
> on Future Car, I think
> compressed air has some potential for energy
> storage.  Depending on the
> weight of the tanks (aircar used carbon fiber) and
> the energy being stored,
> it could definitely yield a higher energy density
> then lead-acid.  Using a
> motor to drive a generator, it would be possible to
> electrically recharge
> the car and it would deliver life cycles many times
> higher than and battery
> of today.  I made a diagram of how I imagined this
> vehicle.
> http://bmk789.dyndns.org/pics/aircar.png  It could
> work as a serial PHEV.
> Compressed air tanks could also potentially be
> refilled quickly.  Is there
> some obvious problem with this idea or am I
> overestimating the amount of
> energy that can be stored as compressed air?
>

> Brandon

Hi Randii,

Randy wrote:
> Are there rules of thumb for pack size vs. vehicle weight vs.
> controller? If I stay at or near 1K pounds (plus 40% for
> passengers), am I being realistic to think of a 48V pack,
> pushed through a simple 300A controller?

Depends what performance you expect.
This vehicle is quite a bit heavier than an ordinary golf cart
and you increase voltage by only 1/3 so if you are impressed
with the performance of the Golf cart you start with, then the
end result may be satisfactory, but most people will likely
find it slow - unless you start modding it in other ways,
such as bypassing the controller for a top-end boost and
changing the gear ratios, but hat was not your question.

Regarding weight versus power: if you ignore friction losses
then it is easy to calculate the acceleration from a certain
fixed amount of power to the wheels.
For example the Curtis (assuming 225A real life at 50V for
easy calculation) can deliver 11kW and subtracting 1kW for
inefficiency in motor, gives a max optimal 10kW to the wheels.
The energy of the vehicle moving (flat road) cannot be larger
than the energy that the motor puts out, the kinetic energy
is defined as 1/2*m*v^2 (half the Mass times Velocity squared)
while the energy to the wheels is 10kW * time.
If you want to estimate the acceleration time to 35 MPH then
you first calculate the kinetic energy:
1/2 * 1400lbs * 35mph but need to convert to metric:
1/2 * 650 (kg) * 15 (m/s) = 73 kJ = 73 kWs (kiloWattsecond)
Since we assumed you are feeding the wheels with a constant 10kW
you will need 73/10 = 7.3 seconds to reach that speed from stop
but in real life there is friction, the motor builds up a
back-EMF which will eventually reduce the current at a certain
speed and voltage, while at low speed the current will be max
while motor voltage will be limited, so you will have a hard time
to get the 10 kW from a standstill.
Doing 0-35 within 10 seconds will be a challenge with this setup,
but as I said - it all depends on your expectations.

Hope this helps,

jmygann wrote:
I just liked the frame and motor/wheel design. Maybe just 1 rear wheel like the Freedom EV would be sufficient.

Got one here - under construction:
http://www.acclivity.ca/velomobile/

Still to finish: chain, steering controls, nose-cone, fabric covering.
Will have brushless hub motor in rear.

Juergen

Juergen Weichert
613-746-7685
Acclivity Solutions
www.acclivity.ca

The key point with the exclusivity agreement is the requirement for Phoenix to
buy $16M  in batteries from Altair in 2007 to keep the exclusivity in the US.
They were talking about an order of 500 batteries which works out to $32,000
per pack for 35kwh or about $0.91 per wh.

  Phoenix already paid Altair almost $8M for 10 working packs that have been
delivered and installed in 10 vehicles,  but I understand most of the cost was
for design and tooling.

  Altair also gets a 16% ownership into Phoenix as part of the agreement.

  Did anyone attend the Phoenix test drive in Los Angeles today, March 1 with
Ed Begley Jr at the Peterson Automotive Museum.

  Ezesport

Carl Clifford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  In case nobody has mentioned it, I believe Altair Nano has an exclusivity
agreement with Phoenix so if I understand correctly they won't be selling
anyone else batteries for at least 3 yrs unless Phoenix doesn't meet an
agreed-upon volume.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2007/01/altairnano_clos.html

---------------------------------
Never miss an email again!

I suggest you do the math on the amount of energy stored in tanks.
The MDI Yahoo group has a paper from an Opel engineer that did a short
analysis of energy content of compressed air. (AEA.Opel.pdf)
(Notes are in German, paper is scanned and quality-challenged)
(Since the group is more or less dead since 2003, half the files and
messages from the last years have nothing to do with MDI)
The short is that you will be able to store about the same energy as in a
lead acid pack, though the weight may be reduced, but the complexity has
certainly increased.
The big catch (and often overlooked) is that it assumes decompression at
equal temp (Isotherm), while this requires a large amount of heat to be
re-inserted (it gets lost during the compression, the heat produced together
with the compression is not stored, so upon decompression the temp usually
drops, which makes the process less efficient.
If you counter this with step-wise decompression (special motor that reduces
commpression in small steps, for example 4 unequal sized cylinders to reduce
in 4 steps from 5000 to 3000 PSI, from 3000 to 1500 PSI, from
1500 to 800 PSI and finally from 800 PSI to ambient air, then you can place
heat-exchangers between the cylinders to re-capture heat from ambient air
and bring the decompressed air closer to the constant-temp process.
(Isotherm is the name for the ideal contant-temp high-efficiency operation,
while the Adiabatic process is the way MDI implemented the de-compression,
leading to frozen engines and bad efficiency. Adiabatic means without
changing the amount of heat: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adiabatic_process)

So, the short answer is: learn from other's mistakes or repeat them.

From: Don Cameron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 17:34:10 -0800

>Jerry,    But as I
>stated in my postings, I was not at all criticizing or commenting on
>the safety of your vehicle (one way or the other), nor was I commenting
>about your work with E-woody or freedom EV.  All I was pointing out was
>Doug's comment stating that it did pass a "crash test", which I
>wholeheartedly disagree with.  He also implied that this "real world
>data" demonstrated a level of crash worthiness
>- not in the least.  It could have been luck.  This was an accident in
>completely uncontrolled environment.  Proof of anything is purely
>speculation.

        I like real world data to test data in many cases.
Crash testing is no garranty either of car safety.
        Is a 35-45 mph test as many of them are really realistic? And they
only do front, side and rear and the cars, ect, vs the many angles, speeds
in real life and are designed to pass the tests more than real crashes to
get the higher crash ratings so they can advertise them.
        Now Saab and Volvo really do it right by checking many real world
crashes rather than relying on test data alone which is a much better way to
do it.
        It's kinda like my non dam hydro generators, like windgens in
tidal/river currents, where I built 10 of them that worked great from the
first one and probably still are 20 yrs later yet at least 30 projects to
build them by 'experts' have yet to keep one running for more than a month.
But I lived on, in the water so understood what the 'Experts' still can't
seem to figure out.
       Test data will only get you so far though worthwhile.
Real life data is much more important.
                            Jerry Dycus

>Don Cameron, Victoria, BC, Canada

Don,

I am afraid that my message was lost on you,
I argued that there is not much point in discussing
the differences between theory and practice, because
in theory there is no difference between practice
and theory, while in practice.....

I certainly did not say to discard testing.
But testing is designed to satisfy a theoretical model
and this brings us back to theory, while crashes happen
in practice...

To learn more about the validity of facts and the volatile
theory, I recommend browsing through WikiQuote:
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Theory