  1) electric boat newbie
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  2) Re: Compressed air as battery?
        by "Brandon Kruger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: Electric Bike as Cordless Tool
        by "Mick Abraham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: Delta-Q charger
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: newbie - dc motor speed/hp/current/volts characteristics for racing!
        by "Scott Littledike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: electric boat newbie
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: Delta-Q charger
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Orbital battery spacing/heat
        by Mark Dutko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Fly the road vehicle
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 10) Re: Battery Woes
        by "Matt Kenigson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Nicad update and PFC charger
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) DC Motor
        by "Patrick Andrews" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Freedom EV Questions
        by Todd Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Questions on EV
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: US Batts & Trojan Charge Profile
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: Freedom EV Questions
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Contactor controller control?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Battery Woes
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Battery Woes
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Battery Woes
        by TiM M <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Nicad update and PFC charger
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: PFC 20 thermal compensation
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: EV's, Ewoody and safety,
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) EV safety (was EV bashing; was-was T-105 Sitcker Shock)
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: DC Motor
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Phoenix test drive in Los Angeles 3/1/2007 AltairNano
        by Steven Lough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: DC Motor
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Greetings all,
I'm starting to build a small 14' boat using electric propulsion. I
have a 24V Westinghouse aircraft starter-generator which were sold by
Princess Auto of Winnipeg at one time. It is 8 pole series
wound,around 3 Kw I believe, so should be ample power for my
application.I haven't been able to get any specs on this machine so
I'm not sure if its rated for continuous use or not.Does anyone have
any info for this motor?I'm also not sure
if the prop will slow the motor down to the 900 or so RPM the prop
would like to run at.I'm limited by the hull to the size of prop I
use.Maybe the controller will take care of this .Can someone recommend
a primer on controllers.Its not critical to me because its a small
boat, but how hard is it to reverse this motor?.thanks...gary

Thanks for all the input.  I'm going to look more into efficiency and losses
in the storage and motor.  I just had a thought about heat losses.  If you
plug in to recharge/compress at night, the temperatures are lower.  During
the day, when it's warmer, wouldn't the take get warm and increase the
pressure some?  Of course this could create safety problems if not used
correctly, but I'm sure some release valve could be used.  I'll try to
research how much energy can be stored in tanks.  I saw
http://www.lincolncomposites.com/ and looked at their tanks.  They are more
built for hydrogen and NGVs but should work well for compressed air.
http://www.lincolncomposites.com/media/LC%20Size_chart.pdf  shows 3000 and
3600psi tanks.  Even the largest tanks are under 400 pounds.  Is there some
formula to calculate how much energy can be stored at a certain pressure and
volume?

Thanks,
Brandon

On 3/2/07, Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

It depends strongly on what you do with the heat.
Search on "Isotherm" and "Adiabatic" to get the differences.

In theory the Isotherm process can be without losses, but
an efficient process requires a large number of small
de-compression steps, making it impractical.

Adiabatic is wasteful.

Success,

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water     IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel: +1 408 542 5225    VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax: +1 408 731 3675    eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Second Life: www.secondlife.com/?u=3b42cb3f4ae249319edb487991c30acb

From: Todd Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Freedom EV Questions
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 14:12:23 -0800 (PST)

A few questions have been nagging at me as I've watched the FreedomEV discussions. Maybe Jerry can help with answers. Anyway,

1st How did you get a Solectria Sunrise? I think there were only about 5 made total.

2nd, what does Azure Dynamics think of your project? They've got 19 patents and probably plenty of Trademarks, and they might be trying still to get a major partner to put Sunrise in production.

3rd, How the heck can you duplicate the high-tech body that they developed? They spent millions figuring out how to make that composite body and I don't understand how an individual could duplicate that effort.

  Thanks in advance!

  Best regards,
  Todd Martin
  Owner, 1997 Solectria Force

---------------------------------
Never miss an email again!

Play Flexicon: the crossword game that feeds your brain. PLAY now for FREE.  http://zone.msn.com/en/flexicon/default.htm?icid=flexicon_hmtagline
damon henry wrote:
I finally decided I have to try playing with a contactor controller, so I bought some surplus contactors off ebay to give a whirl.

Even though they seem simple, there are 100 year's worth of subtleties. It would be worthwhile to look at some old contactor controllers, and see how they built them.

There are physical placement tricks to make them easier to wire. There are lots of equivalent circuits; but some have advantages like insuring that the motor is completely disconnected during charging, or that multiple contacts always break current so none has to switch high voltage, etc.

The sequencing is usually done with mechanical devices, like microswitches on a cam.

Safety interlocks take the form of "ladder logic", which is equivalent to integrated circuit logic gates. Extra voltage-sensing and current-sensing relays are sometimes added to prevent operator errors. For instance, you might not be able to energize the 72v step of a 36v/72v series/parallel contactor until the motor armature voltage exceeds 35v to pull in an "enable high speed" relay.

All the usual contact protection circuits also apply. They can include freewheel diodes, RC snubbers, coil "sluggers", etc.

Matt Kenigson wrote:
So, who on the list has used these BattEQ balancers?  Who can vouch
for Mick? ;)

We debated this topic a few months ago. The BattEQ is based on the flying capacitor circuit -- it switches a capacitor across one battery to charge to its voltage, then switches it to an adjacent battery to charge/discharge to its voltage. In this way, it balances by transferring charge between batteries.

When I tried this on my own, I found that this technique worked but was not very effective. The balancing current was very low, and the efficiency was low.

I have not tried Mick's BattEQ, and so can't say if it is any different or better than the circuit I tried. I did offer to test some, and Mick was willing to help; but then I've gotten swamped with work and wasn't able to actually do it.

If someone has a BattEQ and is willing to do some testing, I think it would be very useful.

I have LA50-12 here for testing, will give news as soon as i have results.

Cordialement,
Philippe

Et si le pot d'échappement sortait du volant, quel carburant choisiriez-vous ?
http://vehiculeselectriques.free.fr
Forum de discussion sur les véhicules électriques
http://vehiculeselectriques.free.fr/Forum/index.php
----- Original Message ----- From: "Matt Kenigson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
[...]

     I did mix things up when I posted , not while
charging. As the temperature went up, the finish
voltage was reduced, and increased as the temperature
dropped. I just checked to make sure.
     Mick e-mailed me about Battery EQ balancers. Has
anybody used these? They seem a little pricey, $250
for 4 battery module, that works out to $1500 for a
pack of 24,

TiM

Need Mail bonding?

In my earlier post I described charging SAFT STM-180
batteries used in the Dodge TEVan.  I also counted
amp*hours and did an overcharge after the voltage peak
I observed (every time in fact).  Two things should be
noted, even if I didn't see the voltage peak I would
still know something was wrong by counting Amp*hours.
2.  I have very little experience with BB600 cells,
although I do own about 100 Cells (I did have more,
but sold some to people on this list).  So, my
experience with voltage peak does not necessarily mean
it will be reliable and repeatable with the BB600
cells.
I have more testing to do before I can make that
observation.  And as Lee and David point out this
voltage peak is less likely to be seen as the number
of series cells increases.
Rod

On 1 Mar 2007 at 7:20, Ralph Merwin wrote:

> The Rudman Regs do have temperature compensation for the voltage set
> point.  It does assume that the reg is at the same temperature as the
> battery it is monitoring.  The surrounding air temperature may well
> be different.

At one time (10 years ago?) there were some shunt regs available that bolted
to a battery post.  I think these may have been designed by Mark Hanson
(Mark please correct me if this is wrong).  I don't think the old design had
TC, but wouldn't the battery post be a better place to sense battery temp
than the air around the battery?

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Administrator

Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not reach me.
To send a private message, please obtain my email address from
the webpage http://www.evdl.org/help/ .

On 1 Mar 2007 at 21:17, Mark Brueggemann wrote:

> I don't believe you'll see widespread acceptance of EV's until
> they are nearly form, fit and function to ICE's.

But EVs >are< already widely accepted.  They dominate the golf car world,
and are strong as industrial burden carriers.  In the road-EV category, EVs
sell fairly well as scooters and bikes.  This last category - relatively
cheap scooters and bikes - is the great success story for road EVs.

The key is that the above vehicles serve functions for which range
limitations and crashworthiness are largely immaterial.  Safety just isn't
much of an issue for golf cars and burden carriers.

It is, in a sense, for E-scooters and E-bikes, since they are road EVs.  But
safety isn't inherent in the vehicle type, so there's not much customer
expectation that he or she will be protected in a collision.  Also, they're
cheap, so they're not expected to be as functional as a family car.  Safety,
range, speed, and comfort aren't really on the radar for these guys.

This is also true to some extent with sports cars.  The typical customer
isn't as concerned with safety as the family car buyer.  Sports car buyers
seem to put more emphasis on recreation and less on practical, functional,
and safety concerns.

So, I think the EV startups trying to market sports cars have the right
idea.  They are drawing potential market share from the scooters and E-
bikes, rather than from family cars.

The so-called PHEVs are more likely to draw market share from the family
ICEs.  The issues we're discussing will be addressed in that market segment,
because the customers will demand it.

On 1 Mar 2007 at 15:17, Lee Hart wrote:

> And, sorry to say, a very large part of the market just doesn't care
> about safety.

Yes, but other than those interested in 2-wheelers and probably performance
cars, how much interest have they in EVs?  I suspect the answer is "not
much."  I could be wrong, of course, but I don't think that the typical auto
consumer who has no interest in safety, like the one who places undue
consideration on bulk and size, is likely to be very interested in an EV.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Administrator

Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not reach me.
To send a private message, please obtain my email address from
the webpage http://www.evdl.org/help/ .

The 9" GE motor that was used on many EV's back in the
early 90's was actually the same used for 3,000 to
5,000 lb forklift motors rated at 36 and 48V.  The
only difference was changing the number of turns in
the series field winding (using smaller gauge wire
with more turns).
I don't think anything else was changed, including
insulation, bearings etc.
If you want a really good high voltage DC motor with
upgrades that will help on an EV, have Jim Husted
modify it!  He's learning new tricks all the time
thanks to the abuse that EV racers like John Wayland
and Bill Dube give their motors.
Like John says, we break things so you don't have to!
Rod
--- Patrick Andrews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> List,
>
>      What is the most common motor used for Ev's.
> What would this motor be
> used for other than Ev's. I am asking because I am
> in the process of
> building my project car and I would like to know the
> best setup possibly
> used or from another piece of machinery. would a
> electric crain/ pallet jack
> motor work? I am sorry for the newbie questions.
> Thanks to everyone I feel
> like I am going to EV school opening my email
> everyday.
>
> Thanks,
> Patrick Andrews
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> Win a Zune��make MSN� your homepage for your
chance
> to win!
> http://homepage.msn.com/zune?icid=hmetagline

Doubt if I could have made it, short of winning the Lottery a week ago.

But more than that, if we do not get wind of these things, either from
the EVDL, or CalCars News, or Google EV News, or Google Hybrid News, or
what ever....    How can we hope to attend...

Just read the POST from the fellow saying we should have a EVDL-Calandar-List. I LIKE that a lot.... Good idea.
Just a place to POST up-comming EVents that no one should miss.

PS: WHY all the Band Width on Compressed Air ! Don't we all know it just is not economical ??? Or do you all just like to show everyone that you KNOW it does not work well... Like
   " I know it doesn't work because..."    and
         "  I also know it doesn't work because..."  and
                " I know more reasons than YOU that it doesn't work .."

and so on and so on.....            I think the whole thing is   O  T !

--
Steven S. Lough, Pres.
Seattle EV Association

Hey Patrick

Most of the DC motors being used are the NetGain and
Advance motors in the 8" to 11" diameter sized motors.
Some get by on 7" motors so a lot depends on what
you're looking for and the budget you have.

I've been known to hack a forklift motor up from time
to time so there are a number of lift motors that can
work really well.  I use the 6.7" pallet Jack drive
motors to build up the motors I donate to the NEDRA
events and would make a decent MC motor but are to
small for a full size conversion.

I'm reading here that either your budget or curiousity
leans you toward using a salvage lift motor so I
thought I'd list some things to look for and to avoid.

Try and look for a motor in that 7" to 11" range.
Look for 36 to 48 volt data tags, Lower volt motors
will draw a higher current than you'd like for range.
They would do okay for a low voltage city driver
though.

Look for a shaft that can be used as is or can be
modified easy.

Look for a motor with 4 terminals or at least check it
for proper rotation.  It's a bummer to read when
people buy motors only to find it spins the wrong way
and they can't change it very easily.

GE motors have expensive parts to replace so I'm more
partial to Prestolite and Advance motors.  Again it's
a bummer to see people buy a 100 dollar core and they
find out the brush set runs 130.00 lol.  I should say
I advise against the 7" GE's, the larger ones are a
really good motor and are worth the brush investment.

Bring a meter with you and check the motor for
grounds.

Look inside the motor to make sure it looks good (no
dark insulation).

Plan on going through it and replacing the bearings
and probably turning the comm. and changing the
brushes, that is as budget allows.

Anyway hope this helps.  Feel free to send me a pic of
anything you find, I'd be more than happy to give my
input.  There are a lot of diamonds in the rough out
there to be found.
Cya
http://www.hitorqueelectric.com

--- Patrick Andrews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> List,
>
>      What is the most common motor used for Ev's.
> What would this motor be
> used for other than Ev's. I am asking because I am
> in the process of
> building my project car and I would like to know the
> best setup possibly
> used or from another piece of machinery. would a
> electric crain/ pallet jack
> motor work? I am sorry for the newbie questions.
> Thanks to everyone I feel
> like I am going to EV school opening my email
> everyday.
>
> Thanks,
> Patrick Andrews
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> Win a Zune™—make MSN® your homepage for your chance
> to win!
> http://homepage.msn.com/zune?icid=hmetagline

Get your own web address.